• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood |OT| where my bro's at?

Ledsen

ZephyrFate said:
Most of the more difficult captains, if you're spotted, will run from you. Then you have to wait until the guards change shifts.

Yeah that basically never happened to me, except I think once or twice in the beginning of the game. Weird, but that's why it was so easy to me.

1stStrike

Banned
Note that the crossbow isn't always a 1 shot 1 kill on the captains. I shot this one (he had a gun for a weapon and was actually pretty hard to kill) and he fell off the tower, and rallied his troops. It was a tight space, so it was a difficult battle as there were a lot of guards. He just stood in the corner while swarms of guards kept attacking me. Took probably 10 minutes for the fight to finish.

Didn't go quite how I envisioned it.

MjFrancis

snoopeasystreet said:
If they put some mechanics in the game that made it more emergent, they could have got by with a mission structure similar to the original.
What does "emergent" mean here? Do you mean it would have been better if there were more than a few ways to complete an assassination? If the targets had more A.I. routines?

Pretty much spot on, though. They've added a lot, but it still boils down to the repetitive original formula. It doesn't feel as far off from AC1 once I got back into the main missions.

Zapages

1stStrike said:
Note that the crossbow isn't always a 1 shot 1 kill on the captains. I shot this one (he had a gun for a weapon and was actually pretty hard to kill) and he fell off the tower, and rallied his troops. It was a tight space, so it was a difficult battle as there were a lot of guards. He just stood in the corner while swarms of guards kept attacking me. Took probably 10 minutes for the fight to finish.

Didn't go quite how I envisioned it.

That is why should use the gun against the captain, which are 1 hit kills. :)

NZNova

I got the captain on the dock with the pistol from maximum range, on the other side of the water. Popped him, then ducked behind a building to avoid the guards that came across to investigate. Felt quite good actually :lol

1stStrike

Banned
Zapages said:
That is why should use the gun against the captain, which are 1 hit kills. :)

Yeah, I don't use the gun often actually. I used throwing knives in the beginning, but since it takes 2 knives to kill most guards now they're really not all that useful. I throw one and instead of dying he sets off the alarm and I lose my stealth :|

I think some people who say the towers or side missions are repetitive keep using the same strategies to complete them. Which is cool and the game lets you do that (If it made you do it a certain way then people would still complain about it restricting their choices).

I didn't have a problem with all the 'stealth' missions because it made me think a little bit more then rush in a kill everyone approach. But then again I prefer to try and eliminate all the tower captains with stealth.

On the topic of captains it sucked that everyone just ran away after you killed the captain, I mean, I'm surrounded by like 4 Brutes a couple of pole-arm wielding dudes and a bunch of scrubs and they all run away cause I jumped out of a hay bale and stabbed their captain :lol

1stStrike said:
Yeah, I don't use the gun often actually. I used throwing knives in the beginning, but since it takes 2 knives to kill most guards now they're really not all that useful. I throw one and instead of dying he sets off the alarm and I lose my stealth :|
Hidden blade launched poison FTW. :D

MjFrancis said:
What does "emergent" mean here? Do you mean it would have been better if there were more than a few ways to complete an assassination? If the targets had more A.I. routines?

When I said emergent, I meant it as unexpected situations that come from the game mechanics. So both giving the player more unique things to do as well as improving A.I. routines would definitely help. Seeing something like a faction based system where the player had the agency to choose sides or play them against one another would be interesting.

Coldsnap

Anyone miss how in Assasins Creed 2 paintings and weapons made your income increase? There seems to be no reason to buy paintings in Brotherhood and extra weapons.

paparazzo

Are the MP servers down or does it always take forever to get into a ranked match? First time playing this and it's been stuck on "waiting for abstergo agents (7/7)" for like 8 minutes. PS3 version.

Volcynika

The Skater said:
Are the MP servers down or does it always take forever to get into a ranked match? First time playing this and it's been stuck on "waiting for abstergo agents (7/7)" for like 8 minutes. PS3 version.

Same here, stuck at 7/7.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
The Skater said:
When it gets stuck like that its best to just back out and try again. Same goes for when it gets stuck in Joining Session or when it gets stuck at 4/5 players for more than a couple of minutes.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
One of the things that Assassin's Creed got criticized for was it's lack of variety. Each assassination was the essentially same and thereby played the same. For Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood, it feels like the developers weren't interested in changing or modifying the systems from the original design, so instead they went in and "manually" made the game more varied. Most of their effort went into putting players into encounters that made the player feel like they were doing different things as well as adding superficial mechanics that do nothing more than add some stylistic flair rather than tweaking things such like AI. It means that while most of the missions in the game begin differently, they almost all end up with you stabbing a dude and then fighting off bad men.

This design decision makes for a good first impression, but ultimately wears thin after a while. If they put some mechanics in the game that made it more emergent, they could have got by with a mission structure similar to the original.
I felt that way about AC2 last year when I first tried to play it, but I've restarted it this week and put in a lot of time. Turns out, I really like the game. I've been doing most everything on offer rather than attempting to rush through and it's really clicking.

The first game was, quite literally, a collection of 4 or 5 tasks such as delivering mail or racing in order to unlock an assassination (which was no more complex than the side missions in AC2). They used this exactly structure several different times and it was extremely boring and repetitive. The sequel is completely different.

1stStrike

Banned
Oh yeah, whoever else it was that struggled with The Banker here - I had issues with that one too. Nothing I did quite seemed to work in my favor. I think I saw the loading screen around 15 times before I got the kill.

One time I went to shoot him with the poison dart and one of the bloody hookers got in my way and I shot her instead. So the bitch starts flailing all over the place, and of course my cover is blown, and back I go to the loading screen.

I was just like GOD DAMN HOOKER :lol

Then, another time, I SHOOT the banker with the poison dart, and then make a quick escape, jump onto a roof across the way and wait.

And wait.

Nothing happens.

I SAW him flinch when I shot him with the poison dart.

So, now I'm not at the party anymore, and I can't get back onto the roof unless I go all the way back up the path, and guards are on high alert.

I ended up just saying fuck it and letting them bust me so I could restart again.

Such a pain in the ass.

Ranger X

1stStrike said:
Oh yeah, whoever else it was that struggled with The Banker here - I had issues with that one too. Nothing I did quite seemed to work in my favor. I think I saw the loading screen around 15 times before I got the kill.

One time I went to shoot him with the poison dart and one of the bloody hookers got in my way and I shot her instead. So the bitch starts flailing all over the place, and of course my cover is blown, and back I go to the loading screen.

I was just like GOD DAMN HOOKER :lol

Then, another time, I SHOOT the banker with the poison dart, and then make a quick escape, jump onto a roof across the way and wait.

And wait.

Nothing happens.

I SAW him flinch when I shot him with the poison dart.

So, now I'm not at the party anymore, and I can't get back onto the roof unless I go all the way back up the path, and guards are on high alert.

I ended up just saying fuck it and letting them bust me so I could restart again.

Such a pain in the ass.

This kill is mighty easy. Here's how I did it. (100% synch)

Go around the floor from the left side, outside of those little walls. Climb back where there's a bench beside some boot. Sit there, guy will come in a minute or two, kill him low profile from bench, undetected. After the kill, drop down the climb right behind where you sit. The kill is very easy this way and the guards won't even get on alert! :)

1stStrike

Banned
Yeah, one thing this game has taught me is that I'm a pretty shitty assassin. It's amazing, though, I got the big boss emblem in MGS4 (look up the requirements if you don't know how hard it is to get) and was in the top 10 rankings in team sneak for a while online.

Yet, I can't kill a fat guy at a party in Assassin's Creed without being detected multiple times :lol

LiK

1stStrike said:
Yeah, one thing this game has taught me is that I'm a pretty shitty assassin. It's amazing, though, I got the big boss emblem in MGS4 (look up the requirements if you don't know how hard it is to get) and was in the top 10 rankings in team sneak for a while online.

Yet, I can't kill a fat guy at a party in Assassin's Creed without being detected multiple times :lol

that mission was tough. took me a few retries to get 100% sync. kinda annoying that one guard will still spot you no matter what even if you have courtesans with you.

iNvid02

LiK said:
that mission was tough. took me a few retries to get 100% sync. kinda annoying that one guard will still spot you no matter what even if you have courtesans with you.

what i did was head to the west wall and hire those courtesans. walk with them up the benches and take a seat. the fat guy walks past without his guard and it's an easy kill.

BUT the game screwed me over and i got detected, fuck 100% sync

LiK

iNvidious01 said:
what i did was head to the west wall and hire those courtesans. walk with them up the benches and take a seat. the fat guy walks past without his guard and it's an easy kill.

BUT the game screwed me over and i got detected, fuck 100% sync

haha, yea, i figured that i had to walk over to the other side on a bench slightly further away from that guard to get it done successfully.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The key to that mission is the walk on the outside on the other side of the wall. Head to a bench on the opposite where the dude is patrolling. When it's clear and nobody is looking, sit on a bench. Wait for him to get close, then BAM.

DrBo42

ZealousD said:
The key to that mission is the walk on the outside on the other side of the wall. Head to a bench on the opposite where the dude is patrolling. When it's clear and nobody is looking, sit on a bench. Wait for him to get close, then BAM.

Not to be confused with the BAM feature in the game. :lol

I guess im th eonly one who hired multiple Courtseans and distracted every single guard up until the cutscene. Hid in the Hay and assassinated the guard next to it, Social Blended to a bench, used poison on a guard and and then walked to the bench near him and got the kill.

LiK

xKilltheMx said:
I guess im th eonly one who hired multiple Courtseans and distracted every single guard up until the cutscene. Hid in the Hay and assassinated the guard next to it, Social Blended to a bench, used poison on a guard and and then walked to the bench near him and got the kill.
Efficient. Please join my guild.

Amir0x

Banned
Ranger X said:
This kill is mighty easy. Here's how I did it. (100% synch)

Go around the floor from the left side, outside of those little walls. Climb back where there's a bench beside some boot. Sit there, guy will come in a minute or two, kill him low profile from bench, undetected. After the kill, drop down the climb right behind where you sit. The kill is very easy this way and the guards won't even get on alert! :)

or just
hire the courtesans sitting there and walk over to the bench

xKilltheMx said:

If I remember I hid in the hay to get that one dude, hired Courtseans to distract another and shot another with poison to make a scene while I hid on a bench. The guy ignored all the action near the flailing poisoned guy and kept patrolling, as soon as we he came near my bench I killed him and left without being seen :D

Amir0x said:
or just
hire the courtesans sitting there and walk over to the bench
Or just kill him at one of the various parts during the party where he stands still and waits for you to catch up to him. Oh wait, you can't...

I ignored the courtesans at the beginning of the party and went straight for the rooftops. Had a few attempts to kill him as he stood still, but none of my crossbow shots would register, not even a flinch. He's actually indestructible until you get to the final party area. Believe me I tried. Just before the final area I was on top of the church overseeing the benches where they WANT you to kill him for full synch. No dice.

Was a bummer to have the illusion of choice shattered so easily.

Pooya

Story is actually as good as ACII if not better. make sure you do Cristina missions.
Last few sequences were clearly rushed though, looked like they couldn't make it before deadline and just made it like that :\ .

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Glad to see that MP has been figured out of sorts. I'm now running into matches where I join and the match is over, or there's 3 mins left.

While it's annoying, at least it's comforting to know that we're attracting the rage quitters.

1stStrike

Banned
I'm definitely not 100%'ing this game. Just far too much shit to do that's tedious and not fun to get there. I've completed a lot of side missions, gotten almost all of my recruits up to assassin level, unlocked the armor from the 6 underground missions, and bought most everything out there.

I'm in memory 8 now - time to finish things up.

One thing that's been bothering me the whole game though, is as Desmond, when you put on eagle vision and go outside into the town - it shows the red trail leading in.

I'm guessing I'll find out what that means towards the end, but it can't be a good sign.

GlamFM

Banned
Ass Bro is my first Assasins and I really like it, but I have 2 problems.

I don´t get the fighting system - sometimes I get killed and sometimes I slaughter everybody, but I don´t know why... what am I missing?

My second problem is that I can´t run away from a fight. Ezio remains in some kind of fighting position facing the enemy and just won´t run.

Am I playing it wrong?

LiK

1stStrike said:
I'm definitely not 100%'ing this game. Just far too much shit to do that's tedious and not fun to get there. I've completed a lot of side missions, gotten almost all of my recruits up to assassin level, unlocked the armor from the 6 underground missions, and bought most everything out there.

I'm in memory 8 now - time to finish things up.

One thing that's been bothering me the whole game though, is as Desmond, when you put on eagle vision and go outside into the town - it shows the red trail leading in.

I'm guessing I'll find out what that means towards the end, but it can't be a good sign.
Yea, trying to constantly 100% every mission can actually make the game frustrating instead of fun. Not worth it for the first playthrough but I was compelled to do it cuz it was fun at times. But Fuck the 8 minute Romulus caves challenges.

Ledsen

GlamFM said:
Ass Bro is my first Assasins and I really like it, but I have 2 problems.

I don´t get the fighting system - sometimes I get killed and sometimes I slaughter everybody, but I don´t know why... what am I missing?

My second problem is that I can´t run away from a fight. Ezio remains in some kind of fighting position facing the enemy and just won´t run.

Am I playing it wrong?

The fighting system is extremely easy. If there's a guard with a small/medium weapon, just counter him and then combo all the rest of the guards and you'll kill them all within seconds. Just remember that you can do a new counter (RT+X on 360) if someone attacks you in the middle of a combo and then continue the combo uninterrupted. If there are only guards with big weapons, kick one of them in the crotch, then spam attack on him until you do the instant kill move. From that you can a start a combo and kill everyone. So basically, as soon as you kill one guard, you can easily kill all the rest within a few seconds.

GlamFM

Banned
Ledsen said:
The fighting system is extremely easy. If there's a guard with a small/medium weapon, just counter him and then combo all the rest of the guards and you'll kill them all within seconds. Just remember that you can do a new counter (RT+X on 360) if someone attacks you in the middle of a combo and then continue the combo uninterrupted. If there are only guards with big weapons, kick one of them in the crotch, then spam attack on him until you do the instant kill move. From that you can a start a combo and kill everyone. So basically, as soon as you kill one guard, you can easily kill all the rest within a few seconds.

Thanks - I will try that.

Ledsen

GlamFM said:
Thanks - I will try that.

Also to run away, you have to press the left trigger to "un-target" the enemies. It's a stupid hassle though and I usually just kill them instead since it's faster.

Ledsen said:

Hidden Blades counter kills everyone, no need to kick them.

LiK

Am I the only one who liked using a knife to fight? Way better than the sword imo. The execution animations are awesome too.

jett

D-Member
LiK said:
Am I the only one who liked using a knife to fight? Way better than the sword imo.

I like it the most too, but mostly because the killstreak animations are fucking badass. With killstreaks it barely matters which weapon you use, gameplay-wise. :p

Nakiro

DualShadow said:
Hidden Blades counter kills everyone, no need to kick them.
It's a tad bit riskier since you can't block though. So you better counter or get massive damage to the weak spot.

RedSwirl

I don't know if this has been talked about previously in the thread, but I cannot stand the Leonardo war machine missions. Do all of them insta-fail you for being detected? The minute you start forcing stealth like that, it immediately ceases to be fun.

jett

D-Member
RedSwirl said:
I don't know if this has been talked about previously in the thread, but I cannot stand the Leonardo war machine missions. Do all of them insta-fail you for being detected? The minute you start forcing stealth like that, it immediately ceases to be fun.

It's really not that hard. With the crossbow and smokebombs stealthing anything is a piece of cake

heringer

I hate playing with Desmond. Everybody is so fucking annoying. I want to punch the writers and voice actors in the face. Even Drake.

RedSwirl

jett said:
It's really not that hard. With the crossbow and smokebombs stealthing anything is a piece of cake

I guess I don't use the crossbow enough for fear that it'll break the game.

In my experience smoke bombs usually immediately result in detection after they dissipate (which means mission failure).

FrankT

Completed this morning. Fairly weak ending, drama and all, and the storyline isn't up to par with ACII. I would say outside of some gameplay elements that is about the only advantage I say it has over ACII. A solid game however, but overall B+. Yet to try the multi, but I will sometime. 1000/1000 on ACII and may have to do the same here.

Top Bottom