• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

DeadGzuz

Banned
I just watched the Qore preview. Despite the fluff job it got, the footage looked just like AC1, so it was a turn off. I might pick this up < $30 if the user reviews are good, I won't trust the money hat'ed industry rags, Ubi is dumping all it has on marketing.

Dead

well not really...yet
Ridley327 said:
All of our initial copies of the game have the code inside the box. Unless you feel paranoid about the game's hype, I don't see why you'd need to pre-order.
So you can get the code from the preorder and just buy the game elsewhere (IE collectors edition at Gamestop with the other 2 maps)

acevans2

Just decided to use my $40 promotion + $20 MW2 bonus Amazon credit to get this game (and used the $5 off promo, too.)

I really liked what I saw in the first one, but it didn't come close to reaching the potential it had. I have faith their second outing will be much more successful.

Has this team been making this since the first game came out, or did they make the Prince of Persia game, too?

OmonRa

acevans2 said:
Just decided to use my $40 promotion + $20 MW2 bonus Amazon credit to get this game (and used the $5 off promo, too.)

I really liked what I saw in the first one, but it didn't come close to reaching the potential it had. I have faith their second outing will be much more successful.

Has this team been making this since the first game came out, or did they make the Prince of Persia game, too?

Bulk of team moved from AC1 to AC2. In such a big company with so many games some people move on to other projects, or come over from another. So in answer to your question - the team has been making this since the first game came out. PoP is a different team.

Ranger X said:
Your friend must be really cool because I personally don't have my courtesy copy and all the people around me in the office right now neither do...

he just went down to LA for some assassin's creed lineage event with the team so he must be somewhat special.

i just heard that there are some sexual content in the game

Magnus

Man, this game wishes it had Uncharted 2's controls and visuals. I lost a footrace in the first 15 minutes of real gameplay because I kept jumping off whatever I was trying to climb. It's a short, unforgivable sequence with a piss-poor 10-15 second wait time in between attempts (losing the race and then reloading from the checkpoint). What a turn off at the start.

PS3 version starts to chug when too much is happening, and yeah, UC2 has utterly spoiled me visually, so this is just plain subpar.

It's a shame; there's some great acting/characterization here, and the story seems rather awesome and complex (this coming from someone who played the first three hours or so of AC1). Had I not played those three hours, I'd be more than a little lost here in regards to both story and gameplay. This installment definitely assumes you've played the first, which will make it a tough sell compared to everything else coming out right now.

Also, is Desmond's VA = Nathan Drake's VA? :lol

Magnus

Oh man, it is? :lol

It's going to be even tougher to stop thinking about Uncharted while playing this now :lol

Did that actor play Desmond in AC1?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Magnus said:
Oh man, it is? :lol

It's going to be even tougher to stop thinking about Uncharted while playing this now :lol

Did that actor play Desmond in AC1?

Yup. Also the prince in the new PoP...Nolan North is in a lot of stuf.

Magnus said:
Man, this game wishes it had Uncharted 2's controls and visuals. I lost a footrace in the first 15 minutes of real gameplay because I kept jumping off whatever I was trying to climb. It's a short, unforgivable sequence with a piss-poor 10-15 second wait time in between attempts (losing the race and then reloading from the checkpoint). What a turn off at the start.

PS3 version starts to chug when too much is happening, and yeah, UC2 has utterly spoiled me visually, so this is just plain subpar.

In before someone calls you a troll and a liar.

Magnus

DevelopmentArrested said:
In before someone calls you a troll and a liar.

I had some positive things to say about the story and presentation otherwise, but you failed to quote that. I'm not 100% troll. :) I dig this a lot, and am gonna keep going with it when it's released. I just had a chance to try it for a few hours.

I was just worried that UC2 was going to spoil my enjoyment of future action titles, and lo and behold, I find myself drawing comparisons all the time this month as I play new games. It's disappointing and I don't know how to shake it, haha.

unomas

Banned
Does anyone know the $5 promo code for Amazon? I have the $20 off from MW2 already so that would make the game $30.99 for me.

Edit, for those of you that want the code.

AMZNACII

Just replaced my order for $30.99! Free shipping as well.

Magnus

I love Nolan North's voice as much as the next guy, but I'm concerned about how homogenized these protagonists all feel now with the exact same voice behind them.

Massa

Magnus said:
I love Nolan North's voice as much as the next guy, but I'm concerned about how homogenized these protagonists all feel now with the exact same voice behind them.

You can play AC2 in Italian, I hope that applies to Desmond as well.

Sai

Can somebody please explain to me what these extra maps are all about? Are they related to these new hidden Prince of Persia-esque areas in AC2 that you free-run through for treasure 'n' such? Or do they come with new assassination missions?

I've already got the MA Edition preordered at Gamestop because I thought I was getting everything. :/

torontoml

Massa said:
You can play AC2 in Italian, I hope that applies to Desmond as well.
Why would Desmond speak in Italian? He's from the US and his native language is English, I'm sure the game is only Italian when you are Ezio in Italy.

The AC franchise is my favorite new IP this gen, probably because I'm a history dork, but I don't think I'm
going to be able to tear myself away from Modern Warfare 2 to play ACII.

Sorry Patrice, I'll get to it eventually. <3

Ridley327

Dead said:
So you can get the code from the preorder and just buy the game elsewhere (IE collectors edition at Gamestop with the other 2 maps)

No; the code is actually with the game itself. The pre-order is an empty box.

Massa

torontoml said:
Why would Desmond speak in Italian? He's from the US and his native language is English, I'm sure the game is only Italian when you are Ezio in Italy.

I just want him to speak in Italian. :lol

Sai said:
Can somebody please explain to me what these extra maps are all about? Are they related to these new hidden Prince of Persia-esque areas in AC2 that you free-run through for treasure 'n' such? Or do they come with new assassination missions?

I've already got the MA Edition preordered at Gamestop because I thought I was getting everything. :/

Yes, they are the obstacle-like PoP areas where you find special treasure. However they aren't quite like the underground sections, they are actual landmarks that contain certain items.
--------

I also don't feel like it's fair to compare a PS3 exclusive to a multiplatform. Especially when the team that does the exclusive has folks responsible for R&D for first party studios; clearly UbiMon has trouble with the PS3 system, but they try as best they can. I applaud them for addressing the issues and giving us something much better than the first, with tons more substance. I understand how it can be "hard" to not compare, but I jsut don't think it's fair.

I know for a fact that the game won't look as good as U2, and probably won't look as good as the first AC. The bastards have added a TON of shit, comparing the world to GTA4 in terms of scope IMO. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt. Atleast they didn't rehash AC1 gameplay.

For me, the last few days are going to be tough waiting this one out.

Ridley327

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
So does that mean Gamestop should have it on Tuesday, or Wednesday? It's always a bummer when they don't get Tuesday releases until Wednesday.

It's a hard-street dated for Tuesday, so so you can walk right in and pick it up first thing in the morning. Most retailers should have their copies already.

Ridley327 said:
It's a hard-street dated for Tuesday, so so you can walk right in and pick it up first thing in the morning. Most retailers should have their copies already.

EXCELLENT. Looks like I won't take my time getting up on Tuesday. How exciting this is.

Was browsing through tv and saw spike was airing a live action show... I forgot all about this game, even with the amount of games that were pushed to next year.

DrBo42

Just read an interesting help tip from a loading screen in AC2. "Guards change shifts at dusk and dawn, plan missions accordingly." Pretty neat. I wonder if you have a minute or so between the shift change to slip into a restricted area unnoticed.

DrBo42 said:
Just read an interesting help tip from a loading screen in AC2. "Guards change shifts at dusk and dawn, plan missions accordingly." Pretty neat. I wonder if you have a minute or so between the shift change to slip into a restricted area unnoticed.

Yea I saw that too, earlier today. I also noticed that the notoriety meter is a great addition. The bullshit that happened in AC1 is out. It IS possible to sneak by guards without them noticing this time around. I love the fact that day/night is in.

DrBo42

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Yea I saw that too, earlier today. I also noticed that the notoriety meter is a great addition. The bullshit that happened in AC1 is out. It IS possible to sneak by guards without them noticing this time around. I love the fact that day/night is in.

Yeah, completely agreed. If the dyeing feature allows me to have an all black outfit, prepare for some renaissance covert assassinations. :lol

I have high hopes for this one and am really looking forward to picking it up next week. I'm even trying to finish AC1 first - although that may be hard since the last few missions are driving me nuts. I know it's a dead horse but the repetitiveness is off the charts! :lol

Sai-kun

Banned
arghhhh we have copies of this sitting in back next to LBPPSP, L4D2, and some other stuff. :lol I saw my copy, and i raged because I wanted it. Daammmn tuesday can't be here soon enough!

DrBo42 said:
Yeah, completely agreed. If the dyeing feature allows me to have an all black outfit, prepare for some renaissance covert assassinations. :lol

The dyes are one of the things I want to experiment with as well :) Someone also mentioned (I think in this very thread) that there are different capes. I know for sure there are different armor sets and what not. Lots of good things happening...

Concept17

Sai-kun said:
arghhhh we have copies of this sitting in back next to LBPPSP, L4D2, and some other stuff. :lol I saw my copy, and i raged because I wanted it. Daammmn tuesday can't be here soon enough!

Yeah, tuesday I'll have both L4D2 and AC2 in my hands, and sadly my head will likely explode from trying to decide which to play.

Costanza

Banned
Concept17 said:
Yeah, tuesday I'll have both L4D2 and AC2 in my hands, and sadly my head will likely explode from trying to decide which to play.
I'm just hoping L4D will unlock at midnight so I can play through all the campaigns before UPS shows up later that day with Assassin's Creed. Please don't let me down Valve!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
does anyone know if the Black edtion comes in a bog standard case or a steelbook?

Nemesis_

TGO said:
does anyone know if the Black edtion comes in a bog standard case or a steelbook?

For some reason I am suspecting neither - more of a slip case or something?. Usually SteelBooks are explicitly mentioned before release.

DrBo42

Ranger X said:
That's one of my fav parts (dialog wise) lol
Also yeah, the cities aren't the same during the day and night, crowd and militia positions, patrols, numbers etc change according the time of day.

Yeah but is the day/night cycle independent rather then being determined by your current mission? Watching that stream I only saw the time of day change via mission.

Ranger X

DrBo42 said:
Yeah but is the day/night cycle independent rather then being determined by your current mission? Watching that stream I only saw the time of day change via mission.

The cycle is independant but missions will move time. Some mission might "tonight you're going to ... etc". Then when the mission start you will obviously be at night. Also if it's a mission at night but you take your time, the cycle continue and you can finish that mission during the day if you'd like :lol

Top Bottom