• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Revelations |OT| Requiescat in Pace (56k)

Honestly, I did not like the Tower Den segment even for the tutorial. It really felt unpolished for some odd reason so far. :\

Other than that the game feels like more of the same goodness that we have seen since ACI. :)

pretty much my early impression as well (great location choice this time around). can't think of another series this gen where i've had more fun just running around taking in the sights / doing nothing in particular :) ...

Well, I loved the game and overall I say I liked it about as much as Brotherhood. I wished there were more platforming segments though.

I encountered a few very annoying bugs during my playthorugh though.

iNvid02

i shouldnt have highlighted that, not a spoiler or anything i didnt know was
gonna happen but it sounds crazy now.

listening to the soundtrack now and its glorious, i think its my fav ost so far

I'm pretty sure Ezio just had the best ending for any videogame character in a blockbuster franchise ever, hell Altair too.

Pretty much this. To have not only a character going from birth to old age while keeping his character arc coherent and entertaining while also adding more info to the entire saga (Altaïr, Desmond's past, etc) without retconing or jumping the shark (I'm looking at you MGS!) at any point is really satisfying.

Also, did anyone remember the message at the end of The Da Vinci Dissapearance.
The code was pin-pointing a place in the New York state.
Maybe that's where they were at the end of ACR. Or maybe it has to do with ACIII.

nel e nel

Criminal Upper said:
Kaizer said:
I'm not seeing where I'm supposed to recruiting new assassins. I've been ignoring the story and just conquering Templar Dens but I'm not seeing any places or people where I'm supposed to get new assassins besides the one you get in the tutorial mission.

After learning about defending/raiding dens, I'm pretty sure there's one story mission you NEED to complete before recruitable citizens appear on the map.

Yes, you cannot recruit until after doing your first Templar Den, but also keep in mind that you have to take templar dens in order to unlock spaces to recruit more assassins.

You can recruit two additional assassins for each templar den you liberate.

nel e nel

pretty much my early impression as well (great location choice this time around). can't think of another series this gen where i've had more fun just running around taking in the sights / doing nothing in particular :) ...

Amen to that brother. I was just thinking today after a 2nd full day marathon that this game is so...serene (when I'm not throwing controllers at my TV because of the ridiculously dumb AI for the Romani courtesans).

I can just zone out and PAR KOUR! around the city and next thing I know it's 3 hours later than when I told myself I was going to stop.

Batman is great, but Ezio is dat dude.

It's too bad it came out when it did, because it seems to be getting overshadowed by Skyrim. I guess it's too bad for any other game than Skyrim right about now.

Cheska

God dangit! Why did they change the looting system!? I loved finding chests and looting guards in order to get money. Now, I can care less about the bomb ingredients and casings :/

kr2t0s

I hate to ask such a 'dumb' question but I'm really not seeing what i'm hoping is obvious.

I have a few master assassin's but for the life of me I can't figure out how to assign them to a den so I can stop doing this miserable Tower Defense game.

Thanks!

not sure why you spoilered it but i totally agree.

Well this is gaf and I got flamed on for much less.

I would definitely agree with this. The character development and story arcs for these characters were amazing.

Everything was connected and everything was done right. The twists and turns were shocking and made sense. The game's story felt a lot more personal than the previous games without jamming it in your head(as much as I liked Uncharted 3 it was the biggest culprit of that).

Pretty much this. To have not only a character going from birth to old age while keeping his character arc coherent and entertaining while also adding more info to the entire saga (Altaïr, Desmond's past, etc) without retconing or jumping the shark (I'm looking at you MGS!) at any point is really satisfying.

Yeah I was thinking of big name franchises and despite being one of the few who still enjoyed MGS4 it did everything wrong character wise.
But man Ezio and Altair ending at the same time while starting the beginning of Desmond's journey is just superb. Seeing a dead Altair as a sekelton in the vault, finally Ezio meets him and Ezio is the one to lay him to rest. I had the biggest smile on my face when Ezio gave a lecture that wasn't boring and stupid while throwing down his armor, finally retiring and finally getting to live his life after so much revenge. It was really sad to see Ezio hang it up but it also made me happy cause he and Altair got the best ending possible that won't be compromised in the future for new game releases. It was truly perfect for both characters.

Also
I wish Yusuf didn't die :( Dude was awesome and his death legitimately shocked me and saddened me for a bit

Sai

God dangit! Why did they change the looting system!? I loved finding chests and looting guards in order to get money. Now, I can care less about the bomb ingredients and casings :/
Treasure chests and dead guards can still be looted, nothing's changed about that. Now there are chests littered around with bomb materials as well, which I believe respawn(right?).

Quick

Banned
I'm pretty sure Ezio just had the best ending for any videogame character in a blockbuster franchise ever, hell Altair too.

I completely agree.

I was genuinely satisfied and a bit sad that Ezio and Altair's journey is over. Looking forward to what the AC team(s) can churn out with ACIII. Hopefully we get another memorable character.

Cheska

Treasure chests and dead guards can still be looted, nothing's changed about that. Now there are chests littered around with bomb materials as well, which I believe respawn(right?).

None of the chests I've looted contained money, it's always been materials :(

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I completely agree.

I was genuinely satisfied and a bit sad that Ezio and Altair's journey is over. Looking forward to what the AC team(s) can churn out with ACIII. Hopefully we get another memorable character.

I agree as well. Ubisoft really nailed Ezio and his character. While I'm getting series fatigue, seeing Ezio in his youth to old age is really nice and something that no video game has done to my memory right now.

I completely agree.

Agreed.

I liked the ending as well, especially
The Altair part where you have to walk to the chair, and you know he will die when you do considering how you find him, and Ezio speaking to Desmond in the future who is basically reliving his memories blew my mind a bit. Overall I liked Ezio's progression over the series and it really is sad to see him go.

Just wondering who the new protagonist in ACIII will be.

Quick

Banned
If you guys get a chance to do so, check out Assassin's Creed Embers. A short film set after Revelations with an even older Ezio. While I'm not a huge fan of the animation style, I liked it overall.

Requiescat in pace, Ezio Auditore da Firenze :(

AC thread and people are praising the story. WTF is going on in here. Does it somehow get less ridiculous with this latest iteration.
Note: Last game I played was AC2. All this praise is making me curious though.

If you guys get a chance to do so, check out Assassin's Creed Embers. A short film set after Revelations with an even older Ezio. While I'm not a huge fan of the animation style, I liked it overall.

Requiescat in pace, Ezio Auditore da Firenze :(

Really wish I hadn't highlighted that. You might want to give a clue as to what kind of spoiler it is next time around.

kayos90

AC thread and people are praising the story. WTF is going on in here. Does it somehow get less ridiculous with this latest iteration.

Honestly I thought the story in ACR was pretty ludicrous. It was filled with fillers but the actual plot in the overarching story of Ezio and Altair is very good.

Honestly I thought the story in ACR was pretty ludicrous. It was filled with fillers but the actual plot in the overarching story of Ezio and Altair is very good.

Is it similar to me giving MGS a whole bunch of free passes for the most insane story line ever because I love Solid Snake so much? Is that how you guys feel about Ezio and Altair?

kayos90

Is it similar to me giving MGS a whole bunch of free passes for the most insane story line ever because I love Solid Snake so much? Is that how you guys feel about Ezio and Altair?

Not really. I like Ezio and Altair just because they're just so fleshed out compared to other characters in the industry. For Ezio you get to see almost every stage in his life and see how his character changes. For Altair you get to see the pain of living the life of an assassin in each segment. I would forgive the convoluted filler plot that ACR gives just for this alone.

Not really. I like Ezio and Altair just because they're just so fleshed out compared to other characters in the industry. For Ezio you get to see almost every stage in his life and see how his character changes. For Altair you get to see the pain of living the life of an assassin in each segment. I would forgive the convoluted filler plot that ACR gives just for this alone.

That sounds pretty great. Wish I could just get caught up on the story in a meaningful way and then just get into ACR but I am sure its not nearly as powerful as experiencing it first hand by playing through the whole series. Unfortunately AC2 just felt stagnate to me from a gameplay perspective so I never returned to the games.

kayos90

That sounds pretty great. Wish I could just get caught up on the story in a meaningful way and then just get into ACR but I am sure its not nearly as powerful as experiencing it first hand by playing through the whole series. Unfortunately AC2 just felt stagnate to me from a gameplay perspective so I never returned to the games.

That's disappointing to hear. If anything, there is a cutscene playlist for all the ones for ACB if you want to go try that. It's pretty long but if you want to know the story then this is a really good way to catch up on the narrative.

That's disappointing to hear. If anything, there is a cutscene playlist for all the ones for ACB if you want to go try that. It's pretty long but if you want to know the story then this is a really good way to catch up on the narrative.

Thanks for the headsup I really appreciate it. I love games that clearly care about their protagonists its just a shame that actual gameplay never clicked with me which is odd considering I love so many stealth based games. I think ill just give it another go.

aparisi2274

I am still early on, I think, but I am enjoying the game a lot. I love the new locations, and characters, but holy hell do I hate the tower defense parts.

I wish they did not include this in the game....

Radec

The fuck is wrong with Ubi for bringing back those damn beggars.

On ACII and AC:B theres only 1 going after you. But now, 3 stupid girls.

About 9 hours in, still on Sequence 3, lol.

Been working on renovating/finding treasure. I like getting that out of the way first and then finishing up with the story.

Finished all the Desmond sequences. Still not sure if I liked them. Bring back the glyphs for AC3, please.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The fault is more on Brotherhood. It's during brotherhood the character should have changed. The game did an awful job at making the player feel it's over decades...

Exactly, all they did was give him a beard. He ended up looking no older than Desmond.

SamuraiX-

Come on, Bruce. As a loyal MGS fan, you should be more than appreciative of the amazing lunacy that exudes from the AC series.

I love the damn story arc. Can't get enough of the conspiracy, templar vs. assassin, end of the world prophecy shit.

u2jLG.gif

Massa

Come on, Bruce. As a loyal MGS fan, you should be more than appreciative of the amazing lunacy that exudes from the AC series.

I love the damn story arc. Can't get enough of the conspiracy, templar vs. assassin, end of the world prophecy shit.

http://i.imgur.com/u2jLG.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

The story in AC is way crazier than MGS. No contest.

Hixx

Game goes from being OK to back to being the AC I love at about 40% through. So much to do and once the city is fully opened up + explored it becomes a joy to move through. Still think a combat revamp should be one of the main focuses of AC3 but the platforming etc (most of Sofia's Memories are fantastic) is still superb.

Major problem is the story. Still, over half way through, not really much happening. Huge step back from AC2/Brotherhood in this regard and there hasn't been an awful lot of assassinations to do either. A lot of following and then the game pretty much saying 'KILL HIM NOW' but nothing akin to some of the missions from AC1/2, which is a shame.

Memoir pages reward spoiler
how cool is the armour you get!? Easily my favourite outfit in the entire series

The
Altair
missions get better too; the latest one I've done which is the... 4th, I think was great. Overall, about 13 hours in to it and at 60% sync and its getting better and better, just hope the story picks up now.

nel e nel

I was ruminating on this yesterday, and I think that AC:R is really less about moving the overall plot of the Templar/Assassin conflict forward, and is more about character development. I mean, in all honesty, the 'story' of AC:R could easily have been fleshed out as a codex flashback in AC3 (similar to what they did with AC2 and Altair's memoirs) and we wouldn't have known the difference.

But now we get an end to Ezio's story arc, get some background info about what happened to Altair after the events of AC1, and some more background info on Desmond (which has been somewhat lacking up to this point).

Also: just finished sequence 7 last night and HO-LEEE SHITE
Cappadocia is such a freaking genius setting

Also Also: is it me or is Bill voiced by this guy:

61021.gif

Also Also Also: do the Mediterranean Defense missions 'end'? i.e. - can one ever fully control a city and no more missions pop up, or is it a non-stop thing to keep getting money/resources/XP for recruits?

kayos90

I was ruminating on this yesterday, and I think that AC:R is really less about moving the overall plot of the Templar/Assassin conflict forward, and is more about character development. I mean, in all honesty, the 'story' of AC:R could easily have been fleshed out as a codex flashback in AC3 (similar to what they did with AC2 and Altair's memoirs) and we wouldn't have known the difference.

But now we get an end to Ezio's story arc, get some background info about what happened to Altair after the events of AC1, and some more background info on Desmond (which has been somewhat lacking up to this point).

startrek_q.jpg

Also Also Also: do the Mediterranean Defense missions 'end'? i.e. - can one ever fully control a city and no more missions pop up, or is it a non-stop thing to keep getting money/resources/XP for recruits?

I agree. Even in the first trailer that they showed, Ezio wasn't on a quest for revenge or conquest or anything like that. It was a personal quest that he was on so that he can find the truth.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I'm doing some testing with my new capture setup (still a long way to go, but yay for 100% hdmi), and I'm staggered by the quality of the antialiasing used in this game. Almost no aliasing to be seen here! (360 version)
acr360.png

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

startrek_q.jpg

Yeah it was stated multiple times by Alex Amancio (creative director) that basically, he said eventually the series would end up being squashed under the weight of its own mythology if the lose ends were not tied up now, so this had to be done to allow future AC titles to have a story that could more easily stand on its own rather than forcing it to be endlessly tied to what happened in previous games in great details. Wrapping up the Altair-Ezio story, and establishing where those two characters stand in the grand scheme of things, I think it was necessary to be able to move on.

I liked how it was handled. Each AC game has had an ending that was more like the ending of an episode, rather than the ending of a movie. But this game has more of a movie ending, the end of "part one" basically, while opening up for "the sequel" so to speak.

Ranger X

So is ANYBODY loving the Dens Defense exotic gameplay?

I mean, how the fuck did this pass the playtests at Ubi? lol
Right now it looks like the consensus on the internet is that gamers don't like it and it doesn't fit with the game anyways. I really really hope they are never bringing this back thinking we somehow like it.

burgerdog

I'm doing some testing with my new capture setup (still a long way to go, but yay for 100% hdmi), and I'm staggered by the quality of the antialiasing used in this game. Almost no aliasing to be seen here! (360 version)
acr360.png

I finally started the game up yesterday and it looks amazing. Surprised more people aren't raving about the graphics and image quality.

Carbonox

I find the Den Defence mini-game fun! It can be annoying though as I still haven't really worked it out entirely due to the annoying bastard cannons.

Definitely a fun distraction from the main game. I've hardly got anywhere in the story as well due to shop-purchasing and whatnot.

The first den defense was fun, though, I think this is the first AC that Im really wanting to run through the story, buying and doing all the metagame stuff seems to have just become tiring at this third iteration.

Top Bottom