• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Revelations |OT| Requiescat in Pace (56k)

LiK

mickcenary said:
Still on the fence.

One thing that I love about AC is the character progression in terms of aesthetics; new pauldrons and vambraces, etc. Is that the same as it has been? Also, is their a "special" suit of armour/cloak to unlock this time around? Would be very disappoint, if not.

I dunno about special suit but Ezio gets some sexy new gear in this one.

Tetraeon

What is this tower defence minigame crap I keep hearing about? Assassins Creed has now been forever hindered by unnecessary 'minigames'? God help us all.

I don't mind the tower defence game, but I'll be putting in Master Assassins as soon as I can.

Also, nearly forgot how fun it is to call in my assassins to mess up a group of guards!

eshwaaz

TangoAlphaLima said:
Why does renovating merchant shops cause your notoriety to go up? This makes no sense to me, and I find it obnoxious. I understood the old system, where it seemed your notoriety only went up when you were caught killing Templars out in the open.

Notoriety for renovations is just an annoying bother, it makes me run around looking for heralds to bribe or city officials to kill (of which there aren't nearly enough), or risk playing the tower defense game at a den (which is merely okay).
It seems likely that the main reason for this change is to force the Tower Defense game on players more often. I hope Ubi Montreal is hearing loud and clear that this new "feature" is universally disliked.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
mickcenary said:
Still on the fence.

One thing that I love about AC is the character progression in terms of aesthetics; new pauldrons and vambraces, etc. Is that the same as it has been? Also, is their a "special" suit of armour/cloak to unlock this time around? Would be very disappoint, if not.
Yeah, there is a rather interesting looking piece of armor to unlock, like altair's or romulus in the previous games.

Sidzed2

Okay guys, I need help with something...

Is it just me, or does Altair 'feel better' to play with than Ezio? I don't know if it is just my imagination, but Altair seems to animate better, or move better, or something. I know it can't just be the cosmetic design of the model, there's something tangible at play. What is it? Does anyone agree? Or am I stark-raving mad?

Amir0x

Banned
this tower defense shit sucks ass. It's a total pace killer. Worst addition to the franchise ever.

It's one thing to have to do it occasionally, but having to always track down a herald or whatever to lower your templar attention now or else more attacks on your places is just infuriatingly ill thought out. Next game better not have this.

If this wasn't there the game would probably equal brotherhood or 2, but this alone has shattered that possibility.

Sidzed2

RoninChaos said:
I haven't been able to get into this yet. It bugs me. I LOVE the Assassin Creed games, but it feels like they've tacked so much b.s. onto the game. I haven't gone far, but when I ran into that tower defense mini game, I wanted to put the controller down. Who's fucking idea was this?! If I wanted tower defense, I'd play a fucking tower defense game.

And, from what I understand, you have to do these regularly if you want to protect a den, right? Man, FUCK.

I agree with most of your post. My main issue with this series, besides the fact that they have annualised it and pretty much overdosed the audience, is that Ubi seems to have reacted badly to the criticism leveled at the original Assassin's Creed that it had too little to do. So what they've ended up doing is tacking on all sorts of extraneous bullshit to overcomplicate the game, without ever taking the time to refine the core mechanics and design decent missions. In Revelations, I don't even think I've properly assassinated more than one person. Instead, I feel like Mr. Fetch Quest.

Ubi needs to pare the series back to where it sat in Assassin's Creed 2, which for me was the sweet spot in terms of mechanics and complexity, and really spend some time beefing up the graphics engine, refining the traversal gameplay, and constructing a rewarding narrative with tight mission design.

ctrayne

Amir0x said:
this tower defense shit sucks ass. It's a total pace killer. Worst addition to the franchise ever.

It's one thing to have to do it occasionally, but having to always track down a herald or whatever to lower your templar attention now or else more attacks on your places is just infuriatingly ill thought out. Next game better not have this.

If this wasn't there the game would probably equal brotherhood or 2, but this alone has shattered that possibility.
Isn't the den defense optional? I haven't played the game yet, waiting for PC version.

Amir0x

Banned
LiK said:
yup, you could just let them stay in conflict forever with no real penalty.

:/

At least I hope I can level up my assassin's so they can defend the places without bothering me about it. I read that you could get them high enough of a level to do that, so I'm just slogging to try to get that done. Fuck this was dumb.

Amir0x said:
:/

At least I hope I can level up my assassin's so they can defend the places without bothering me about it. I read that you could get them high enough of a level to do that, so I'm just slogging to try to get that done. Fuck this was dumb.

Once they reach level 10 you can assign them as that dens Master Assassin and it won't get attacked again.

DualShadow said:
Once they reach level 10 you can assign them as that dens Master Assassin and it won't get attacked again.

They can be assigned as the den's Master Assassin, but the den is only protected from being overtaken if the Master Assassin is level 15 or higher.

LiK

DualShadow said:

they still get attacked as Den leaders from my experience. TangoAlpha probably has it right.

oops, beaten.

eshwaaz

TangoAlphaLima said:
They can be assigned as the den's Master Assassin, but the den is only protected from being overtaken if the Master Assassin is level 15 or higher.
Looks like I'll be focusing a lot of time leveling up my assassins. Thanks for the info.

eshwaaz said:
Looks like I'll be focusing a lot of time leveling up my assassins. Thanks for the info.

On this note it seems they actually get decent exp from being called into fights and eliminating targets unlike in Brotherhood.

DualShadow said:
On this note it seems they actually get decent exp from being called into fights and eliminating targets unlike in Brotherhood.

And it seems like each city in the Mediterranean Defense metagame has one mission that has 3000 xp and only takes 5 minutes to complete. And it's a pretty reasonable 3 star difficulty as well. I've been farming those missions to get my assassins leveled quickly.

Phenomic

So I was wondering if someone could help me with what I'm missing. Mid to late game location, but I don't think my question is much of a spoiler. However, for safe measure.

Just started Sequence 7... It tells me to explore the cave, but when I get to where the ! is nothing happens, no one seems to be around and it just appears that I have no where to go... anyone know what I'm missing?

Quick

Banned
Phenomic said:
So I was wondering if someone could help me with what I'm missing. Mid to late game location, but I don't think my question is much of a spoiler. However, for safe measure.

Just started Sequence 7... It tells me to explore the cave, but when I get to where the ! is nothing happens, no one seems to be around and it just appears that I have no where to go... anyone know what I'm missing?

Go to the roof of a house with a flame, look opposite that and you'll see wood to hop onto. Basically, you're climbing up to the top of that rock formation to a viewpoint and synchronize.

Kaizer

Banned
I'm not seeing where I'm supposed to recruiting new assassins. I've been ignoring the story and just conquering Templar Dens but I'm not seeing any places or people where I'm supposed to get new assassins besides the one you get in the tutorial mission.

Kaizer said:
I'm not seeing where I'm supposed to recruiting new assassins. I've been ignoring the story and just conquering Templar Dens but I'm not seeing any places or people where I'm supposed to get new assassins besides the one you get in the tutorial mission.

They are marked on the map. black and white square symbols.

You can only recruit so many at a time so you might have the max you can until you take more Dens.

Quick

Banned
Kaizer said:

Look on your map: you'll see marks all across it. Black square with white things on the corners inside it. Go to those locations, do your thing.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I'm honestly completely lost in regards to assigning assassins to dens and assassins that stay in other cities.

I wanted to see what the options were with assassins in other cities and my first recruit (who was also master assassin, and the den leader in the first HQ place) was sent to Jerusalem on accident but it doesn't seem like I can recall him? When I send someone out on a mission or to go to the city permanently are they no longer den leader in either or both scenarios? Sorry if these questions seem dumb just am a bit lost.

LuchaShaq

Banned
mickcenary said:
Wait.

Waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait. Wait

2 minutes, 38 seconds. Did Ezio just step through that guy's head? This could push things into 'buy territory'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dv4ggAxb1M

YUP some of the kills with the vlad sword are super gruesome as well. Behind him 2 handed into a guys face, slicing a dude so hard his neck is barely attached.

I HATE the facial changes to desmond/ezio though. I played through AC2 and Brotherhood, and saw my gf play through them both as well so it's weird to not really recognize them at all.

LuchaShaq said:
YUP some of the kills with the vlad sword are super gruesome as well. Behind him 2 handed into a guys face, slicing a dude so hard his neck is barely attached.

I HATE the facial changes to desmond/ezio though. I played through AC2 and Brotherhood, and saw my gf play through them both as well so it's weird to not really recognize them at all.

Gratuitous gore is great.

Just as a reminder, when does the first Altair segment take place? I've only beat the first segment so far.

Just to be safe:
The first segment, I'm guessing, takes place before the events of the first game, correct? Before Altair fucks up and gets all his equipment taken away, right? Do all the Altair segments take place before the first game, or do they jump around to events during/after the first game? Just a yes/no answer will suffice, no need to get into heavy duty spoilers. Thanks!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
DarkChronic said:
Just as a reminder, when does the first Altair segment take place? I've only beat the first segment so far.

Just to be safe:
The first segment, I'm guessing, takes place before the events of the first game, correct? Before Altair fucks up and gets all his equipment taken away, right? Do all the Altair segments take place before the first game, or do they jump around to events during/after the first game? Just a yes/no answer will suffice, no need to get into heavy duty spoilers. Thanks!

They vary from before to after.

Chorazin

I thought the difficulty in Brotherhood was perfect, but it seems like in Rev its so much harder to get 100% Sync on missions. Anyone else feel this way?

Quick

Banned
Chorazin said:
I thought the difficulty in Brotherhood was perfect, but it seems like in Rev its so much harder to get 100% Sync on missions. Anyone else feel this way?

I haven't touched Brotherhood in a while, but a lot of Revelations' 100% sync requirements requires a ton of patience, while others are simple enough, but can get complicated.

OK just got to where the world opens up and you're free to roam. I get a strong AC1 feeling in some of the UI art design and some of the characters and architecture in the city. Definitely is an AC1 meets AC2 feel to it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
infinityBCRT said:
OK just got to where the world opens up and you're free to roam. I get a strong AC1 feeling in some of the UI art design and some of the characters and architecture in the city. Definitely is an AC1 meets AC2 feel to it.

Same world art director as on AC1. The world is more detailed, and the city is so much more organic than the ones in AC2/ACB, everything is less square and straight. It's really drastic when you play AC2 or ACB again. I suggest you try for a few minutes:p The blurry textures on far-away buildings in AC2 are really terrible. People don't seem to realize how much things have improved because they didn't play the other games a short time ago.

It's like how Gears of War 1 feels like it probably looked as good as Gears 3, until you go back and play it.

SRidge52

Banned
Haven't read any of this topic because I don't want to be spoiled, but I just have a quick question: Is there a good online map of the data fragments or Memoirs yet?

nel e nel

LiK said:
nope, they already show him in the real world with the new face right in the beginning. :3
and confirmed in the ending.

it's just inconsistent.

Aw c'mon man, LET A MAN DREAM A LITTLE!!!

Meh, whatevs, in the end I'm still having fun.

Ranger X

Sidzed2 said:
Okay guys, I need help with something...

Is it just me, or does Altair 'feel better' to play with than Ezio? I don't know if it is just my imagination, but Altair seems to animate better, or move better, or something. I know it can't just be the cosmetic design of the model, there's something tangible at play. What is it? Does anyone agree? Or am I stark-raving mad?

Well, this is probably the effect of Altair's animation and model going through 3 more debug phases (AC2, Brotherhood and Revelations)

Oh man, the fourth Altair mission...
Altair as an old, old man. That's a hell of a thing. I thought that mission was done pretty well. Got a little smile on my face as the loyal Assassins started leaping throughout Masyaf. Abbas is such a tool.

guest1321

RobertM said:
Just went to Walmart and got the game for $39.99, what's going on Gaf?
Nice, was it the walmart exclusive one? I rolled in yesterday and it was a no go. Also, did you check out at the back near the game section or up front with all the check out stands?

red731

Cheska said:
Does anyone else notice a difference in Ezios eyes? They're golden...

My dog will have ones like that when he gets old too :(

Also fucking lol at
Ezio as a mistrell(sp), I was dying when he sung

edit: also in how much hours is the server update? and you see blocky text too, right?

Chorazin

Played the Mistrel mission last night, first time I thought "Wow, that was fun!" while playing Rev. Maybe I've just had enough of AC for now, but man, I was really feeling like I was just going through the motions while playing. I played the shit out of Brotherhood, collected every item, and loved it.

Cheska said:
Does anyone else notice a difference in Ezios eyes? They're golden...

I assume that was due to the Apple.

klier

BY2K said:
Mother of God.

Amazing OP. The best one I've seen since I'm on GAF. Almost makes me want to buy the game.

Almost, but not quite.

It will be brotherhood all over again with some extra's. No thanks.

Amir0x said:

Uh, you can just put Master Assassin's in charge of your dens, eliminating the possibility of having to defend.

At least they designed it in such a way that it'll never have to defend again if you don't like them.

Top Bottom