• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Revelations |OT| Requiescat in Pace (56k)

Irish

Have you done the bomb tutorial missions from Piri Reis in his shop at the Grand Bazaar? I was hardly using the bombs at all, then decided to do his missions and now I'm a convert.

Gonna murder some fools with tripwires, son!

Yeah, after doing his missions I pretty much started using bombs for everything.

Tripwires are kind of a pain in the ass to set up though, even after you have fully examined a group's patrol routes. Stupid citizens kept setting them off, so, to complete the tripwire bomb challenge, I threw caltrops everywhere and then sat right in the middle of the dancing guards to set up my tripwire bomb and make it explode.

nel e nel

...but I wish there was more of an use to sticky, wire, etc. I only found the impact shells to be really useful when all was said and done.

Ohhh man, the sticky ones are the BEST! You can tag a guard patrol from the roof and then just watch them explode undetected.

The tripwires are tricky, but now that I know how to use them (SERIOUSLY PEOPLE DO THE PIRI REIS MISSIONS!) I'm going to experiment some more with them.

ultron87

The problem with bombs is that I haven't really found any part where you actually need to use them. The only category I've actually used well is the distraction bombs.

In most other cases it seems just as effective to sic your assassins on them or kill the guards yourself.

Related to that, the WHUMP sound of an aerial assassination in this game sounds so great.

Irish

Yeah, the cherry bombs are quite useful for clearing a path for yourself when you are trying to sneak through somewhere without being seen.

nel e nel

Yeah, after doing his missions I pretty much started using bombs for everything.

Tripwires are kind of a pain in the ass to set up though, even after you have fully examined a group's patrol routes. Stupid citizens kept setting them off, so, to complete the tripwire bomb challenge, I threw caltrops everywhere and then sat right in the middle of the dancing guards to set up my tripwire bomb and make it explode.

Yeah, after doing the Piri Reis missions, and thinking back, it seems like certain missions were designed with the idea of using bombs. (i.e. tripwires and distraction bombs are good for restricted area missions where you have to stay undetected)

Balboa

Once you've defended a Den is it then permanently secured or are they just going to keep attacking it later on?

LiK

Yeah, the cherry bombs are quite useful for clearing a path for yourself when you are trying to sneak through somewhere without being seen.

they were alright altho i ended up using black smoke bombs for the majority of it. funny that it doesn't create alarms at all.

Once you've defended a Den is it then permanently secured or are they just going to keep attacking it later on?

they can attack it again until your Den master is level 15.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Apparently retaking a den increases how many zip lines are in the district, I never noticed (I always saw the dudes trying to break them down with hammers but I don't even know if they can actually do it).

If you get the notoriety level to 100% and the templar alert HUD thing is in the red, they may (will) attack one of your dens, so you have pay heralds and kill officials before that happens. When the assassin responsible for that den gets to maximum level, the den gets invincible and can't be taken by templars anymore.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Finished the game last night.

Overall, I think this slots between AC2 and ACB in terms of enjoyment but it's definitely the least polished AC game yet, some odd glitches, some obviously rushed scenes towards the end and I suppose a lack of visual variance in the city could fall under it too - it's a beautiful place but everywhere apart from the
Arsenal
, which you do not come close to spending enough time in, kind of feels the same.

I don't get this complaint, and I saw it twice so far. You have port areas, you have the district in the East with its white structured stone houses, the other district with its richly decorated painted walls and wood, and the poor district with broken and crooked houses in the west. You have the arsenal in the south. Romans ruins. The huge Topkapi Palace. The market areas, the cemetaries. The Grand Bazaar, the which is bigger than the bazaard in AC1. There is the soldier camp in the north west, and the different landmarks, and the houses look so organic with their extruded facades and roof extensions.

Rome had a rather average-sized city in the middle, flat grayish boxy buildings, roofs that didn't extend over the houses much at all if ever, etc. The only disctinct district was really nice was the one close to the Vatican with the Castello Sant Angelo. The same buildings found in the city were used for the country side, which used the same gray textures. The ruins were the same everywhere.

I think the problem with ACR is that in Galata you have all the styles visible at the start of the game, so it feels more repetitive when you go elsewhere in the city on the other side. There should have probably been more open spaces, and maybe a unique style of houses for Galata. But overall it looks much richer and more diverse than ACB IMO.

AC2 remains the one with the most diversity because it had multiple cities. That I'd like to see again.

Fuu

By the way, you can sell bomb materials at Piri Reis. I don't know how obvious this is but for some reason I only noticed halfway into the game (I didn't talk to him directly before that and you can't sell anything at the other shops). Good tip if you're always overstocked on all that stuff, and you will be if you open every single restockable chest because you can't resist that sound.

Dunan

Rome had a rather average-sized city in the middle, flat grayish boxy buildings, roofs that didn't extend over the houses much at all if ever, etc. The only disctinct district was really nice was the one close to the Vatican with the Castello Sant Angelo. The same buildings found in the city were used for the country side, which used the same gray textures. The ruins were the same everywhere.

AC2 remains the one with the most diversity because it had multiple cities. That I'd like to see again.

That was one thing I really liked about AC2 over Brotherhood; Florence and Venice in particular had very distinctive looks. Without being too overt about coloring each building according to an overbearing scheme, Florence was primarily red and gold and Venice blue and gray. San Gimignano and Forli blended into each other for me somewhat because they both had a lot of green and brown in them, but they were distinct enough. They couldn't really do this with Rome, and while the one-big-city thing is cool at first, I found myself preferring AC2's setup after a while. I could wander through those cities again and again.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Also, who's bright idea was it to give the guards riles now?

History's?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_the_Ottoman_Empire
The Ottomans began using guns sometime between 1444 and 1448. Following that, other troop types began to appear, such as the regular rifle infantry (Piyade Topçu, literally "foot artillery"), regular cavalry armed with rifles (Süvari Topçu Neferi, literally "mounted artillery soldier") and bombardiers (Humbaracı), consisting of grenadiers that threw explosives called khımbara and the soldiers that served the artillery with maintenance and powder supplies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That was one thing I really liked about AC2 over Brotherhood; Florence and Venice in particular had very distinctive looks. Without being too overt about coloring each building according to an overbearing scheme, Florence was primarily red and gold and Venice blue and gray. San Gimignano and Forli blended into each other for me somewhat because they both had a lot of green and brown in them, but they were distinct enough. They couldn't really do this with Rome, and while the one-big-city thing is cool at first, I found myself preferring AC2's setup after a while. I could wander through those cities again and again.

And there was a great feeling when you knew you were leaving for another city, and seeing that new city for the first time. Always a Wow moment.

In ACR I think at least Cappadoccia did give this feeling, even if it was small it looked great. I really like how good the central column with the light over it looked.

ultron87

I haven't yet decided if I like that this game goes into full-on Uncharted mode in the tomb sections. It is at least a nice change of pace.

Balboa

Apparently retaking a den increases how many zip lines are in the district, I never noticed (I always saw the dudes trying to break them down with hammers but I don't even know if they can actually do it).

If you get the notoriety level to 100% and the templar alert HUD thing is in the red, they may (will) attack one of your dens, so you have pay heralds and kill officials before that happens. When the assassin responsible for that den gets to maximum level, the den gets invincible and can't be taken by templars anymore.
Thanks, was annoying the hell out of me before but I'm keeping the Templar alert thing under control now and the Den defense game is getting really easy anyway.

How do I check the level of the Assassin's? I'm thinking I just haven't played that far into the game yet, just been trying to renovate the city instead.

ultron87

Does it ever actually explain in the game how the whole Mediterranean Defense game works?

I get that you capture cities and can then spend money to improve them, but is there any actual reason to? Or is it just another way to invest money long term towards getting more money per 20 minutes?

And what is the difference between missions that have simple diamonds as their difficulty meters versus the more spikey difficulty markers (besides that they are harder)?

LiK

So how do I do den defense if all my assassin's dens are locked down with a master assassin?
The Master Assassin icons? They just mean you can do a Master Assassin quest if you want to level the Den leader. You can still assign them.

The Master Assassin icons? They just mean you can do a Master Assassin quest if you want to level the Den leader. You can still assign them.
No, I mean, my Master Assassins are fully leveled and locked down to an Assassin's Den. Is it impossible for me to do den defense (the tower defense minigame) now since that would imply they would defend it themselves? I need to finish the Assassin's check list.

Also, how do I level up other assassins if these dens are already occupied? I have like 12 assassin's stuck at level 10.

May be a fruitless effort but I was just curious if they put in a crouch walk yet?

Steam still saying release is Nov 11... Any final word on when for pc version?

LiK

No, I mean, my Master Assassins are fully leveled and locked down to an Assassin's Den. Is it impossible for me to do den defense (the tower defense minigame) now since that would imply they would defend it themselves? I need to finish the Assassin's check list.

Also, how do I level up other assassins if these dens are already occupied? I have like 12 assassin's stuck at level 10.
Not sure, I didn't max out any of my guys.

Carbonox

So the
Master Assassin
armour bothers me because it looks fucking awesome but does NOT go with the tailored colouration you're forced to wear, nor can you change your colour when this armour is equipped. Annoys the hell out of me.

Do you get even better armour in this game or whatever? Yes, it's very powerful and looks good but it seriously bothers me aesthetically when looked at with the garments.

So the
Master Assassin
armour bothers me because it looks fucking awesome but does NOT go with the tailored colouration you're forced to wear, nor can you change your colour when this armour is equipped. Annoys the hell out of me.

Do you get even better armour in this game or whatever? Yes, it's very powerful and looks good but it seriously bothers me aesthetically when looked at with the garments.

It's the second best armor, but it's not indestructible. The Ishak Pasha armor is the Altair/Brutus armor of the game. Makes you look like a Turkish ninja with a mask and everything. I prefer Master since Ezio looks like a badass and I want to see his face.

Carbonox

You have to collect the Ishak Pasha book pages. There's ten of them. One of the later sequences has the book shop unlock a map that you can buy which shows the locations of all of them. After collecting them, you have to go through a tomb to get the armor.

On it like a car bonnet. Thanks.

Gonna keep buying the lower level armours as well to see what they're like.

creid

I had written off ever getting the "perfect den defense with no cannon" achievement, but it turns out I would've gotten it during my last den defense if I hadn't shot an unnecessary cannon ball at the beginning. And now all of my dens have masters, so I won't have another den defense again :/

LiK

I had written off ever getting the "perfect den defense with no cannon" achievement, but it turns out I would've gotten it during my last den defense if I hadn't shot an unnecessary cannon ball at the beginning. And now all of my dens have masters, so I won't have another den defense again :/
Ah, that sucks. I got the cheevo with my second Den defense. Took like 2 retries.

Sai

Man,
Old Altair with the Apple is beast. Dude can hardly move, he just whips out ghost Assassins out of nowhere to Air Assassinate everybody in a fifty mile radius. Ridiculous.

Big contrast to the way Ezio was usin' it in Brotherhood.

And WHY ARE THESE LAST TWO BOOKS SO EXPENSIVE?!

[EDIT] - Guys, you can get the Iron Curtain Achievement easy by just replaying the Den Defense tutorial in Sequence 2 again. Just make sure you don't use the cannon when you're told to.

mhsilver

Banned
I'm one of the few that really enjoys the addition of the bombs. I use them a lot to distract, escape and thin out large groups of Jenassaries (sp?).

I just wish they had made you work for some of the recipes. Look at RAGE. Another basic crafting system, but you don't have all the recipes up front. It takes some time and hunting to find the recipe, the ingredients, or some decent money to buy them.

The way it currently works, I just picked between my favorite three or four types at the beginning of the game and used them the whole way through.

Oh, and I LOVE Constantinople as a setting. It's got a wonderful flavor all it's own, one I've never seen or felt in a game outside... maybe FFXII had a taste of it?

Finished this last night. I've loved all of the AC games up until now, so I expected to love this and for the most part I did. To love it though, I had to pretty much ignore everything new that was added to the game from Brotherhood, except the hookblade. I hated the bomb aspect (felt gimmicky and unnecessary), the tower defense part and the way noteriety was handled. Constantinople was nice but I just don't think I liked the style as much as Italy.

I felt that this was the first game that the noteriety mattered, and it was also the one where noteriety was the most difficult to get rid of. That just ended up pissing me off, especially when you are at 100% noteriety and there's no herald or official in sight. In Brotherhood, you had wanted posters everywhere, so it was easy to get rid of (and IT DIDN'T EVEN MATTER in that game).

Still really liked it overall for the story bits, and was glad to see
how they finished Altair's and Ezio's stories. Very respectable way for them to make their exits.
I also liked how
we got to see what happened literally minutes after AC1 ended. Great fan service.

Fuu

Thanks, was annoying the hell out of me before but I'm keeping the Templar alert thing under control now and the Den defense game is getting really easy anyway.

How do I check the level of the Assassin's? I'm thinking I just haven't played that far into the game yet, just been trying to renovate the city instead.
You can check the levels of your recruited assassins either within your dens or with the pigeon box you can use to dispatch them on missions next to the bomb crafting stations.

Not sure if there's a way to play den defense after your den masters are all maxed but regarding your level 10 assassins, you can still send them to normal Mediterranean missions and they'll get XP.

Not sure if there's a way to play den defense after your den masters are all maxed but regarding your level 10 assassins, you can still send them to normal Mediterranean missions and they'll get XP.
I know, I do. But all of them are way over the required amounts of XP needed. Like say they needed 3500 XP to get to 11, they all have XP accumulated going up to the 20000s now. I don't understand how or why they won't level up. I figure they need to be made into den masters but then my dens are already occupied.

Bought it yesterday and played for about 20 minutes. Unfortunately, I was actually quite surprised/disappointed at how dated it felt. The combat especially made me sigh a bit. C'mon, Ubi. We're not retarded; we CAN handle multiple guys lunging at us frequently. We HAVE played the Arkhams, you know.

Anyway, short story short, I started day-dreaming about Gears of War 3, so I defected.

ultron87

The sword counter kill move where he stabs it through the guy's head, punches the handle so that the guy spins and then catches the handle as it comes back around is one of the coolest animations I've seen in a game.

Fuu

I know, I do. But all of them are way over the required amounts of XP needed. Like say they needed 3500 XP to get to 11, they all have XP accumulated going up to the 20000s now. I don't understand how or why they won't level up. I figure they need to be made into den masters but then my dens are already occupied.
Ah I see, I don't get it either then. Did you spend the skill points they get to max their combat and armor stats? Can't think of anything else that would be keeping them stuck at level 10.

Edit:
I think they can only advance past level 10 if they are assigned to a Den.
Thanks. I was assuming they could all reach max level regardless.

Ah I see, I don't get it either then. Did you spend the skill points they get to max their combat and armor stats? Can't think of anything else that would be keeping them stuck at level 10.

I think they can only advance past level 10 if they are assigned to a Den.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm one of the few that really enjoys the addition of the bombs. I use them a lot to distract, escape and thin out large groups of Jenassaries (sp?).

I just wish they had made you work for some of the recipes. Look at RAGE. Another basic crafting system, but you don't have all the recipes up front. It takes some time and hunting to find the recipe, the ingredients, or some decent money to buy them.

The way it currently works, I just picked between my favorite three or four types at the beginning of the game and used them the whole way through.

Oh, and I LOVE Constantinople as a setting. It's got a wonderful flavor all it's own, one I've never seen or felt in a game outside... maybe FFXII had a taste of it?

Funny, the underground part of the first city in FFXII was designed based on the Grand Bazard of Istanbul:)

Has the MP's matchmaking system improved in this game or is it as bad Brotherhood's in that it took forever to find a match?

It loads fast but now there is a problem with how they fixed it. If you are searching for a game type instead of it keep searching forever, it says it can't find any of that game and will search for other game types.

The problem with this is that you cannot say no to it. So if it searches for a new game type that you hate, you have to back out and leave your team screwed by one less person. Seems like an oversight on Ubi's side. It should give you the option to search for other games... not the requirement.

At the beginning of every round there are people who drop... and I've done it a few times myself as some game types aren't fun at all to play.

So Ive been playing for 5 hours now, and ive heard minimal music. Is this normal. Ill be running through the city and theres no background music. Some tracks will come on during chase sequences, but theres none of the ambient background music. Is this normal?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
BTW the gun-combo to kill two enemies still works, not sure how but I just did it. Killed one guy with my sword, the other with the gun.

Top Bottom