• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Revelations |OT| Requiescat in Pace (56k)

Ranger X

I'm still surprised this discussion about "what is AC" is still popping.

After 4 games people didn't noticed already that this game is an ACTION GAME with stealth elements? I don't see why it would evolve toward being a stealth game. It's not a stealth game.

Coming from someone who has completed the first two game and played a little bit of brotherhood (not the whole thing, had to leave my home town for a job at the time), I gotta say I am loving this one. Not only that, but the defense mini game isn't nearly as bad as everyone says, I have yet to loose one, and the people that say it occurs too much, I've played for hours now and only done three. Also already started gaining my master assassins and protecting them. The set peices are awesome. I'm loving the mission variety. Overall I am more then happy with this latest installment.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah there's a lot of nitpicking. To me the experience feels no different than the past, and there are a lot of improvements, nothing that actually makes the game worst than past games actually. There are some things that need to be adjusted in the future, but whatever the case most people who liked ACB should like this one.

And now at least things can start fresh for the next game. Changing era completely is bound to bring about a lot of changes.

Bog

Junior Ace
I'm 41% complete but on Sequence 4 (yeah, been doing nothing but side missions). But now I only have a Sophia mission showing, but no memory sequence missions available. Am I screwed, or will doing the Sophia missions eventually unlock a new story mission?

Ranger X

Yeah there's a lot of nitpicking. To me the experience feels no different than the past, and there are a lot of improvements, nothing that actually makes the game worst than past games actually. There are some things that need to be adjusted in the future, but whatever the case most people who liked ACB should like this one.

And now at least things can start fresh for the next game. Changing era completely is bound to bring about a lot of changes.

I'm amazed to be amazed (lol) at the city again. I thought they wouldn't really top Rome but I must say that I freaking love Constantinople. I am talking all my time playing the game, observing stuff, people, looking at the views. It's very well done. The level artists work is also unprecedented.

Amagon

I'm 41% complete but on Sequence 4 (yeah, been doing nothing but side missions). But now I only have a Sophia mission showing, but no memory sequence missions available. Am I screwed, or will doing the Sophia missions eventually unlock a new story mission?

Yes

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

It should. You have to do those missions to find some of the keys.

Wurst

Finished the game and it was a nice closure to Ezio and Altaiir. Would rate it somewhere around 7/10. ACIII needs a revamp. They shouldn't be afraid to cut a lot of stuff and to reinvent in some parts.

What really interests me though: Where can I get my hands on the Encyclopedia??

Suzzopher

Just got this on PS3, but it won't launch. I select it on the XMB, but as soon as it starts to launch it returns me to the XMB :/ Any ideas on how to fix this?

After 4 games people didn't noticed already that this game is an ACTION GAME with stealth elements? I don't see why it would evolve toward being a stealth game. It's not a stealth game.

Probably because of the interview that said Assassin's Creed 3 could be a female protagonist in a world war 2 setting. I don't see how that'd work without it being a stealth game.

Wurst

:(
I didn't care for collector's editions and stuff prior to the release of AC:R and now I've missed the Encyclopedia? It's sold out at ubiworkshops and not a single entry on ebay.

Oh that's a bummer. Is there anything interesting in there?
I'd love to have it just for the art. Will there be a reprint? Anything? Argh!

Is there a synopsis of spoilerific new information somewhere? Without heading into territories of piracy?

jett

D-Member
You can't throw daggers or shoot in the middle of a killstreak in this game, can you? That was pretty badass in ACB. I honestly don't like the redesigned controls in ACR, guess they had no choice since they were deadset in their shit ass bomb mechanic but they threw away almost entirely the puppeteer principle of the previous games.

rataven

Wurst

Excellent news, cheers!

After watching Embers I think
that both Egypt and China would be a great setting. Although I think the China "hint" was much more apparent then the Egypt one. But I have no clue at all how they'll implement it in the story. A female Assassin would be kick ass too for a change. I'm already hyped for ACIII... and ACIII.5 and ACIII.75

So I'm picking this game up tomorrow after work and can't decide which console version to bite on.

Lens of Truth seems to like the PS3 version better, while Digital Foundry likes the 360 version.

I generally don't really trust either of those two sites, but they are the only thing we really have to go by :| Not sure who to go with on this one.

I would like it for the PS3 version to be "as good/better than" 360 since I don't subscribe to Live Gold anymore and would at least like the option of trying out this game's multiplayer. But single player takes priority and if the 360 version provides the better sp experience, then 360 it is.

You can't throw daggers or shoot in the middle of a killstreak in this game, can you? That was pretty badass in ACB. I honestly don't like the redesigned controls in ACR, guess they had no choice since they were deadset in their shit ass bomb mechanic but they threw away almost entirely the puppeteer principle of the previous games.

I have done it several times jett; it's still there, but I will say that it feels completely random. Combat as a whole just doesn't feel as fluid as Brotherhood to me; I guess mostly due to the control changes. After many hours of playing, I still haven't become totally comfortable with them.

So I'm picking this game up tomorrow after work and can't decide which console version to bite on.

Lens of Truth seems to like the PS3 version better, while Digital Foundry likes the 360 version.

I generally don't really trust either of those two sites, but they are the only thing we really have to go by :| Not sure who to go with on this one.

I would like it for the PS3 version to be "as good/better than" 360 since I don't subscribe to Live Gold anymore and would at least like the option of trying out this game's multiplayer. But single player takes priority and if the 360 version provides the better sp experience, then 360 it is.

I have the 360 version, but I've played the PS3 version on my cousin's machine, and I can't notice any big differences. Graphics look identical; 360 maybe tears a bit more, or at least in different spots, but frame rate maybe a tad bit smoother in certain areas, I'm not sure. I would say the PS3 version is more than a safe purchase, imo.

jett

D-Member
I have done it several times jett; it's still there, but I will say that it feels completely random. Combat as a whole just doesn't feel as fluid as Brotherhood to me; I guess mostly due to the control changes. After many hours of playing, I still haven't become totally comfortable with them.

Yeah, there are also other contributing factors, like the animations being the worst in the series, the increased sound glitching, and the totally fucking stupid idea of introducing random slowmo for some of the kills, which btw exacerbates the sound glitching.

Irish

and the totally fucking stupid idea of introducing random slowmo for some of the kills, which btw exacerbates the sound glitching.

You're still crazy wrong about the bombs and location (and just about everything else); however, this is entirely correct.

Ranger X

What's more, nothing prevented them to use Y button to talk and extra weapon with B. Right now it's inverted for no apparent reasons.

jett

D-Member
You're still crazy wrong about the bombs and location (and just about everything else); however, this is entirely correct.

Means nothing to me from the guy that compared AC2 to MGS2, ACB to MGS4 and ACR to MGS3.

I replayed a little bit of ACB today for kicks, confirmed to myself that the map in ACR is positively TINY. Also, the Colosseum > anything in this game.

Irish

Means nothing to me from the guy that compared AC2 to MGS2, ACB to MGS4 and ACR to MGS3.

Hey seems right to me. MGS2 is the odd one out of the bunch in the MGS series and ACII is the odd man out here (and least like the other three games even if people like it better than the rest and Rev and Bro took a lot of its mechanics and refined them).

What's more, nothing prevented them to use Y button to talk and extra weapon with B. Right now it's inverted for no apparent reasons.

Eh, makes sense. Y/Triangle was given a purpose in combat now while B/Circle already had one with the grabs and whatnot.

I have the 360 version, but I've played the PS3 version on my cousin's machine, and I can't notice any big differences. Graphics look identical; 360 maybe tears a bit more, or at least in different spots, but frame rate maybe a tad bit smoother in certain areas, I'm not sure. I would say the PS3 version is more than a safe purchase, imo.

good stuff. thx.

jett

D-Member
Hey seems right to me. MGS2 is the odd one out of the bunch in the MGS series and ACII is the odd man out here (and least like the other three games even if people like it better than the rest and Rev and Bro took a lot of its mechanics and refined them).

whatthefuckamireading.jpg

ACB is literally an upgraded version of AC2, and ACR barely an expansion pack of ACB.

Your MGS analogy doesn't make any sense in any way, shape or form.

Irish

It's in the feeling man, nearly everything about ACII pissed me off. It's the same feeling I got when playing MGS2. :D (I know I'm stupid)

I get the same feeling from B & R that I got from 1. Rev feels really similar to AC1 at that (but has obviously superior mechanics). It's also very visually similar and I thought the characters were handled extremely well in 1 & Rev. I've always hated Ezio yet I finally came to like him in Rev because he acknowledged the fact that he was and always has been just a crappy middleman to events beyond his understanding his entire life. His entire life was spent being forced into crap for someone else's gain and he finally accepted that. Made him cool to me for him to see how much of a non-driving force type of character he was. No ambitions of his own really.

Pooya

Not a fan of new controls here too, they ruined the original idea behind it. even after 15 hours or so, I'm still pressing Triangle for eagle visions at times... >_<

jett

D-Member
It's in the feeling man, nearly everything about ACII pissed me off. It's the same feeling I got when playing MGS2. :D (I know I'm stupid)

I get the same feeling from B & R that I got from 1. Rev feels really similar to AC1 at that (but has obviously superior mechanics). It's also very visually similar and I thought the characters were handled extremely well in 1 & Rev. I've always hated Ezio yet I finally came to like him in Rev because he acknowledged the fact that he was and always has been just a crappy middleman to events beyond his understanding his entire life. His entire life was spent being forced into crap for someone else's gain and he finally accepted that. Made him cool to me for him to see how much of a non-driving force type of character he was. No ambitions of his own really.

lolz. Well personally I have a very different experience from you. AC2 for me ditched all of the failings from AC1 and improved in nearly every other aspect, for me that game was/is a masterpiece. ACB feels like DLC of AC2 and ACR like a half-baked last-minute rushed-out map pack to ACB. Story-wise I didn't give a single fuck about anything that transpired in Revelations.

I replayed a little bit of ACB today for kicks, confirmed to myself that the map in ACR is positively TINY. Also, the Colosseum > anything in this game.

It is a smaller, denser, more interesting map.

If you like riding horses through empty fields with nobody in them, then Rome is definitely your thing. Yes those large, empty structures like the coliseum were fun to climb on for specific missions, but they were otherwise giant wastes of space.

For people who like architectural and crowd density, Constantinople is far superior.

And BTW, the only kills that go into slow-mo are the final kills in a group. There were a lot of niggling issues that bugged me in this game, but the combat wasn't one of them. I never felt like I could't use exactly what I wanted to at any given time.

jett

D-Member
It is a smaller, denser, more interesting map.

If you like riding horses through empty fields with nobody in them, then Rome is definitely your thing. Yes those large, empty structures like the coliseum were fun to climb on for specific missions, but they were otherwise giant wastes of space.

For people who like architectural and crowd density, Constantinople is far superior.

But Rome has this, and it also has the fields. Constantinople excels at nothing.

And I do prefer the many unique structures in ACB to the same two buildings repeated ad nauseam. The difference in visual diversity is pretty marked. And when you bring AC2 into the picture it simply obliterates both of these two games put together.

Irish

And BTW, the only kills that go into slow-mo are the final kills in a group. There were a lot of niggling issues that bugged me in this game, but the combat wasn't one of them. I never felt like I could't use exactly what I wanted to at any given time.

Eh, the problem is when you're fighting more than one group at a time and a bunch of other guys join in on the fight. Then it goes slow-mo every two or so kills.

Lol at Rome having many unique structures and more visual variety. No way. Every area of Rome (in the game) looks damn near identical to the next structure wise.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Probably because of the interview that said Assassin's Creed 3 could be a female protagonist in a world war 2 setting. I don't see how that'd work without it being a stealth game.

Uh? I never heard that.

I killed two guys at the same time in a counter which used the gun (they were standing one behind the other). No idea how I did it.

Constantinople is not tiny, except this time it's not a big field with trees and ruins and a small city. It's the biggest actual city in all AC games actually. ACB was a medium city with a huge empty field.

But Rome has this, and it also has the fields. Constantinople excels at nothing.

And I do prefer the many unique structures in ACB to the same two buildings repeated ad nauseam. The difference in visual diversity is pretty marked. And when you bring AC2 into the picture it simply obliterates both of these two games put together.

lol, you are wrong. Rome has the same drab gray buildings EVERYWHERE, with a small corner having a different look (close to the Vatican). Now there are three clearly distinct styles (Galata features all three, the rest of the city is split in three themes), and this game unlike ACB actually has thematics throughout the city like clear market areas, ports, a ship building area, the grand bazaar, the Topkapi palace, etc.

You are too negative. I don't know why you play games if it's always to nitpick everything.

Ranger X

Eh, makes sense. Y/Triangle was given a purpose in combat now while B/Circle already had one with the grabs and whatnot.

Actually it doesn't. Because the controls in AC were thought as following the body. That's the "puppeteer" as they call it. Y is on top therefore it's the head. X is the feet. Hands are having the other buttons.

Making sense here would be to talk with Y (like it was before) and "alternate weapon" should be on right hand. Right now there's no valuable reason those two are inverted.

Irish

Actually it doesn't. Because the controls in AC were thought as following the body. That's the "puppeteer" as they call it. Y is on top therefore it's the head. X is the feet. Hands are having the other buttons.

Making sense here would be to talk with Y (like it was before) and "alternate weapon" should be on right hand. Right now there's no valuable reason those two are inverted.

Yeah, you should still be able to talk with it outside of fights, but I'd rather have that button serve a purpose during them.

Disagree entirely.

Rome was very good at being very large.

It was not good for much else.

Constantinople has a ton more visual and architectural flavor than Rome did. If you honestly think that Constantinople has the same buildings repeating all the time, then you're blind. It's a city with so many ethic and architectural influences, you get a mix of western, middle eastern and asian inspired buildings everywhere you go. It's a beautiful patchwork.

That said, every single AC game has had AMAZING settings. It's the one element of the AC series that never fails to deliver. Even the least fun or impressive setting, like Rome, is still a blast to explore and play within.

Ranger X

Yeah, you should still be able to talk with it outside of fights, but I'd rather have that button serve a purpose during them.

But I am talking about "outside a fight". We talk with B now. Doesn't make sense. The fight is fine for what I remember.

Irish

But I am talking about "outside a fight". We talk with B now. Doesn't make sense. The fight is fine for what I remember.

True. I mean, it does make more sense to talk with it, especially considering it really is context sensitive. You could still have the ranged weapons be on Y/Triangle without interrupting that aspect whatsoever. Not really sure why they changed it...

ultron87

Buying nothing but Air Assassins in Den Defense is absolutely hilarious.

Too bad they do nothing to siege engines. Too bad nothing does anything to siege engines.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member

No they said it was possible, just like any other time period is possible due to the nature of the franchise. AC3 won't be in WW2, and will finish Desmonds story.

Ezio and his assassins garb seem to not stand out as much in Constantinople...

Some of the dyes are amazing, love the pop of the sashes (colors) on some of them.

I agree though, I want it toned done a hell of a lot still.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What's great in this design is that the "white suit" wasn't followed as a rule. Ezio is traveling, so it was logical that he wouldn't dress like he did in Renaissance Italy. He really did have a more exotic look this time, and it fits in Constantinople which was the crossroad between Asia and Europe. It worked pretty well.

Ranger X

What's great in this design is that the "white suit" wasn't followed as a rule. Ezio is traveling, so it was logical that he wouldn't dress like he did in Renaissance Italy. He really did have a more exotic look this time, and it fits in Constantinople which was the crossroad between Asia and Europe. It worked pretty well.

I wish it was more "mono color" if I can say it that way. When I go and try to buy a new color, I never know wich one I prefer, there's not enough contrast and they are all colorful and using similar tones.

Cheska

Soo I just beat it. That was rather abrupt :/ All in all it was a good game, but I did not enjoy it more than ACII or Brotherhood. My main problem is that I didn't feel any connection to the story. Yes, I know that the AC stories in general are far fetched, but at least I cared about where they were going in the previous games.

Beernf

As a huge fan of AC2 and ACB this one is a massive disappointment to me. Its like they changed what I thought was good in those 2 games and replaced it with bomb making and tower defense. It feels rushed and less thought out (why does infamy go up when you purchase a property? Horrible decision basically telling players they shouldn't do it) and seems a disappointing way to end a series. I am saddened.

Top Bottom