• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Revelations |OT| Requiescat in Pace (56k)

nel e nel

-I hate the small MP maps in this game. I don't know why the maps in this game are so small. For instance, after playing one of the MP maps that's also in AssBro, I realized that I miss AssBro's massive maps. Please bring back AssBro's big MP maps in future DLC or open the maps up in an update.

-I love how much smoother the match making system in this game is. At the same time, I hate the fact that you have to vote for the mode that you want to play next instead of pick a mode ala AssBro (you were right JadedOldGamer) I want that choice back.

(caltrops are useless otherwise)

I just have a a question: How do you steal from enemies using the Hookblade? I know you have to grab them and hold a button, but I just dunno which one. Gotta jump back into some MP.

- map size varies depending on the game mode you are playing. Deathmatch and Simple Deathmatch in the Free For All category use smaller versions of the maps. When you get into the other game modes (manhunt, chest capture, artifact assault) all of the animus walls are removed and you have a much bigger playground.

- agreed that the matchmaking is way better on this, but the menu is really overly complicated and obtuse.

(CALTROPS ARE AMAZING! I SAY GOOD DAY TO YOU SIR)

- stealing from enemies is a context sensitive action. You have to be in combat and have a target (left trigger to get into your stance). You will notice on the top right that you have 4 actions, attack/counter, grab, kick and steal. Steal is Y on Xbox and basically works the same as counter, except you snake some coin from your opponent's pockets instead of killing them.

JWong

Banned
So played a couple of days of this, and I think the Assassin's Creed 2 series just gets progressively worse as they add more crap on top.

Really hope for the next one to completely change the game and go back to its original roots.

Irish

Really hope for the next one to completely change the game and go back to its original roots.

Not a bad idea! AC1 was really only failing in the mission variety department compared to the rest of the sequels (of course, the new gameplay has been great each time for the most part). Going back to their roots with a dynamic character and interesting dialogue between everyone will be a nice change of pace.

JWong

Banned
Not a bad idea! AC1 was really only failing in the mission variety department compared to the rest of the sequels (of course, the new gameplay has been great each time for the most part). Going back to their roots with a dynamic character and interesting dialogue between everyone will be a nice change of pace.

Well, not just AC1. AC2 was even good at its root.

Just the whole Brotherhood system makes the game too easy while the Brotherhood metagame is just not that interesting. Now they add tower defense and all this other crap on top... not really sure if this game is about assassinating anymore.

ymmv

Banned
I received the PC version of AC:R from Simply Games today. During the installation of the game I got a critical error and I had to cancel the setup. It turns out the game won't install because the file data5.cab is unreadable. It's a brand new game and the disc has never been used but there's a tiny smudge or scratch on the game disc that is probably the culprit.

So what do I do? I've got the online keycode. Can I download a copy of the game from the depths of the internet, copy the file I need from the ISO to the HD, click setup and then use the online keycode to activate the downloaded copy anyway? Or is the DVD copy protected and is the online key just to use online features of the game. In that case I have no other option than to return the game to Simply Games and wait for a working copy.

I've already answered my own question. I downloaded an ISO from somewhere on the net, installed the game plus the patch, made a Uplay account and used my online keycode to register the game.

It's a sign of the times that even with the physical DVD in my hands I still had to download the actual game in order to use the key... In the case of PC games I'd rather download 'em, but on the other hand I'm not going to pay full price on Steam when I can buy the DVD for half the price. Love those UK online stores.

BTW The game sure looks a lot better on the PC than on the PS3. Really impressive in 2560x1600.

The music playing in the multiplayer menu reminds me a lot of Psycho Mantis theme from MGS1. I love it! Ive played a little of single player and enjoyed what I played. Multiplayer with my bestfriend is where this game really shines with its strategy and setting up people.

rataven

Do the AC games make anyone else want to travel? Man, I've spent so much time in this game strollin' around Constantinople taking in the sights and am really starting to feel like I need to see this stuff for myself.

Arment

Finally beat the game tonight.

I don't care how godlike I become due to added on mechanics I just absolutely love these games. It would be nice, however, if the next one removed you from all responsibility in running the Brotherhood so they could focus on some different mechanics.

I read somewhere that
Egypt
is the next location. There's also speculation regarding a survey Ubisoft did that suggests they may be looking at other locations as well. One of which is set during
The American Revolution
. I've always wanted that setting for this game.

Just watched some videos on the ending (couldn't wait until I buy the game somewhere down the line). I love
how they tied it back to ACII's ending, where Ezio is left in the dark without knowing what's going on. I thought that was a perfect ending for Ezio's character back then, and the fact that they reiterated on that here is just fucking awesome. Good job, Ubi, good job.

What the fuck is up with people's faces in those cutscenes, though? Especially Desmond's. He looks weird.

Arment

So how come Desmond has the same scar Ezio has running down the right part of his mouth and then suddenly doesn't?

l41xO.png
vs
JltdP.jpg

Caltrops were one of my most used bombs. Crazy how different playstyles can work out. I was also using the hookblade constantly, be it to jump up buildings or over people. Tripping and throwing dudes with it was also a lot of fun.

Caltrops aren't useless, they just aren't any more or less useful than say, smoke bombs.

That's my one gripe with the bomb system. I actually enjoyed the new tactics that bombs brought to the fold as far as luring, trapping, incapacitating and escaping enemies, but there weren't enough differences between some of the bomb types.

Exile550

Do the AC games make anyone else want to travel? Man, I've spent so much time in this game strollin' around Constantinople taking in the sights and am really starting to feel like I need to see this stuff for myself.

Yeah it does, and Ubisoft are doing a great job of localization with the AC franchise.

Dany

Banned
I've seen the scar thing come up before and it has been inconsistent for desmond/ezio/altiar for all the games. I don't think there is a reason for it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ok... I just went from the starter noob armor to master assassin armor completely out of the blue...?

I guess it was a reward for getting one of my henchbuddies to master or something? That's kind of dumb, I now have 0 gear progression for the rest of the game.

Dany

Banned
Ok... I just went from the starter noob armor to master assassin armor completely out of the blue...?

I guess it was a reward for getting one of my henchbuddies to master or something? That's kind of dumb, I now have 0 gear progression for the rest of the game.

Same happened a few minutes ago. I think it was for having some assassins look over the dens.

Cyport

Just a quick question, on the PS3 version does the original game included (AC1) have subtitles? The first game didn't and being deaf this really put me off the first game and I'd love to get into the series.

Curufinwe

Only played a few hours, but so far I'm really enjoying the game. But I hate that they took out the cool music that used to play when you synced a viewpoint.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I always try to get the bonus objective my first try on the mission, but if I fail it doesn't bother me. I'll eventually go back and 100% all of the Brohood missions I missed and do the same for Rev.

Rapstah

So I exploited that IGN thing a month ago and got a key for the GameStop Signature Edition on Impulse... why hasn't it unlocked yet? Am I wrong in thinking the game released yesterday on PC?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So I exploited that IGN thing a month ago and got a key for the GameStop Signature Edition on Impulse... why hasn't it unlocked yet? Am I wrong in thinking the game released yesterday on PC?
They removed the keys because it was an exploit. If you want to play the game, uh, go buy it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Due to the amount of people who took advantage IGN's stuff-up, GameStop revoked the keys, requiring actual Prime members to seek replacement keys from IGN.

Edit: Beaten.

Wow. Absolutely blown away by the PC version of Revelations. It looks SO GOOD. Seriously, BIG upgrade over Brotherhood and yet it performs even better? 1080p, 8x MSAA, 16x AF with Vsync + triple buffering and it's LOCKED at 60 FPS.

Big kudos to Ubi for improving over Brotherhood. Gorgeous game thus far, and I'm digging it more than Brotherhood, which I didn't even feel compelled to finish for some reason.

Wow. Absolutely blown away by the PC version of Revelations. It looks SO GOOD. Seriously, BIG upgrade over Brotherhood and yet it performs even better? 1080p, 8x MSAA, 16x AF with Vsync + triple buffering and it's LOCKED at 60 FPS.

Big kudos to Ubi for improving over Brotherhood. Gorgeous game thus far, and I'm digging it more than Brotherhood, which I didn't even feel compelled to finish for some reason.

Really? This one feels uninspired and uninteresting to me. As I play it, I keep saying to myself "man, Arkham City does X so much better". X being combat, stealth, traversing the city, ancillary mechanics (bombcrafting and tower defense are fucking stupid), side missions, story, pacing, characters, atmosphere. The list goes on and on. AC set the bar for third person melee action games so much higher than this that it's just bleh to play. The whole time I've spent playing I'm just saying to myself "I should just go start my NG+ in AC instead of this and go watch the story cutscenes on Youtube".

I've spent the first two hours or so just doing stupid tutorial shit. I don't care about making bombs. I don't care about recruiting and raising assassins. I want to stab people and learn about Templar lore and the first people, not to tediously buy shops throughout the city in order to create the nightmarish tidal wave of money that grew out of this system in Brotherhood. Much like in AC1, they seem to have lost sight of what makes their game fun: stabbing people. They load you down with all of these pointless vestigial mechanics that nobody cares about while other games (like AC) do meaningful things to evolve their gameplay.

Really? This one feels uninspired and uninteresting to me. As I play it, I keep saying to myself "man, Arkham City does X so much better". X being combat, stealth, traversing the city, ancillary mechanics (bombcrafting and tower defense are fucking stupid), side missions, story, pacing, characters, atmosphere. The list goes on and on. AC set the bar for third person melee action games so much higher than this that it's just bleh to play.

I've spent the first two hours or so just doing stupid tutorial shit. I don't care about making bombs. I don't care about recruiting and raising assassins. I want to stab people and learn about Templar lore and the first people, not to tediously buy shops throughout the city in order to create the nightmarish tidal wave of money that grew out of this system in Brotherhood. Much like in AC1, they seem to have lost sight of what makes their game fun: stabbing people. They load you down with all of these pointless vestigial mechanics that nobody cares about while other games (like AC) do meaningful things to evolve their gameplay.

I do agree that the AC games aren't as polished as Arkham City when it comes to combat, that's for sure. The system isn't BAD, but it definitely has way more 'heft' to it than Arkham City, which feels more responsive and quick-footed. I'm only a couple hours in and I am kind of annoyed by some of the tutorial stuff, but hopefully the meat of the game is good. I liked AC1 a lot, LOVED AC2, and thought Brotherhood was decent.

While I have enjoyed these 4 AC games, the next one needs a tech upgrade and more fluid//responsive controls + more dynamic, in-depth gameplay. I really think Ubi could learn a lot from Uncharted 2/3 and Arkham City when it comes to climbing and overall 'fluidity' of movement and control. Not saying Revelations feels clunky/shitty, but I think Uncharted and Arkham City have a more 'natural' feel to the way characters move and perform actions.

Curufinwe

Can someone tell me when I am supposed to press X to instantly kill the next enemy after killing the first in a group on them? The tutorial says to do it "swiftly" which is not helpful, so I just end up mashing X after the first kill and hoping it works.

SamuraiX-

Can someone tell me when I am supposed to press X to instantly kill the next enemy after killing the first in a group on them? The tutorial says to do it "swiftly" which is not helpful, so I just end up mashing X after the first kill and hoping it works.

If it's the same like Brotherhood, you have to use the analog stick to direct the chain attack toward the next enemy.

Nemesis_

Hey guys, just connected to multiplayer on Xbox Live and I still have my level, but all my abilities and stuff have to be rebought from the Abstergo Store....

Is this intentional or a glitch? =/

Is there some way to fix it?

Really? This one feels uninspired and uninteresting to me. As I play it, I keep saying to myself "man, Arkham City does X so much better". X being combat, stealth, traversing the city, ancillary mechanics (bombcrafting and tower defense are fucking stupid), side missions, story, pacing, characters, atmosphere. The list goes on and on. AC set the bar for third person melee action games so much higher than this that it's just bleh to play. The whole time I've spent playing I'm just saying to myself "I should just go start my NG+ in AC instead of this and go watch the story cutscenes on Youtube".

Haha, no. The only thing Batman does better than Assassin's Creed is combat. And honestly, Batman's combat basically just looked at AC's counter-focused, rhythmic combat and asked 'show can we make this faster and smoother'.

Everything else - Stealth, city traversal, story-telling, etc, Assassin's Creed does better and with more variety.

As a HUGE fan of Arkham Asylum, Arkham City was a terrible disappointment. Rocksteady's gameplay systems and design work amazingly well in a controlled, Metroid-esque game, but in an open city, the game was just dull.

If pushed, I would say that Revelations is my least favorite of the AC games so far (although, as far as single-player goes, it's a tight race with Brotherhood), and I still enjoyed it about 10x more than Arkham City, the sequel to my favorite game of 2009.

spats

I thought I'd be ok with the tower defense minigame but I've grown to fucking hate it so much. I suck at TD games so I get completely murdered almost every single time. The normal infantry units are easy to kill but when the siege engine comes it just STEAMROLLS through every single barricade in like 5 seconds. And no matter how many bomb throwing dudes, cannons or other shit I put in I just can't seem to destroy it before it wrecks my base.

I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it.

Hey guys, just connected to multiplayer on Xbox Live and I still have my level, but all my abilities and stuff have to be rebought from the Abstergo Store....

Is this intentional or a glitch? =/

Is there some way to fix it?
If you just started playing multiplayer, it's intentional.
You get "abstergo credits" after every game, and you use those to unlock stuff for your templar.

Unless you already knew that and your stuff relocked all of a sudden. If so sorry, lol.

Raxus

Multiplayer in this game is so annoying. The contested kills didn't need to be added in and just changed the game for the worst.

I'm listening to the soundtrack, and I really hope Jesper Kyd does the whole AC3 soundtrack. Lorne Balfe's work for this one is pretty good, but the parts Kyd did compose sound a whole lot more unique and better, while also more in tune with the previous games (obviously).

Card Boy

Banned
Things that really bother me about the MP.

-Cant choose Wanted mode whenever i want (edit: looks like i was wrong. You gotta go to custom match)
-Still no text chat.

Clevinger

I'm listening to the soundtrack, and I really hope Jesper Kyd does the whole AC3 soundtrack. Lorne Balfe's work for this one is pretty good, but the parts Kyd did compose sound a whole lot more unique and better, while also more in tune with the previous games (obviously).

Yeah. The previous two soundtracks were really great. This one isn't bad, but it ain't the same.

Nemesis_

If you just started playing multiplayer, it's intentional.
You get "abstergo credits" after every game, and you use those to unlock stuff for your templar.

Unless you already knew that and your stuff relocked all of a sudden. If so sorry, lol.

Yeah, I'm level 20 when this happened.

What the fuck :( I'm going to irrationally blame the uPlay Passport

Yeah. The previous two soundtracks were really great. This one isn't bad, but it ain't the same.
This soundtrack is better than the Brotherhood one IMO. More memorable tracks. which isn't that hard really since there are over 80 songs. Like the "Assassin's Creed Theme" by Lorne Bafle is fantastic and all of its variations are good too, especially "The Revelation". Even the multiplayer songs are great.
But all of the in-game music by Jesper Kyd is top notch.

AC2's soundtrack is still incredible, Revelations is the second best AC soundtrack for me.
Hopefully Jesper Kyd stays doing the Assassin's Creed soundtracks.

All the Lorne Balfe pieces just sound like Hans Zimmer wannabe's. That isn't Assassin's Creed, imo.

The theme she composed is pretty awesome, as well as the variations, but a lot of the other music she did just doesn't feel right. They should've stuck with AC2's "Earth" as the main theme.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm aware that you can buy an Animus data fragment location map once you find 50 unaided, however what about the memoir pages? Does a location map for those pop up at some point?

All the Lorne Balfe pieces just sound like Hans Zimmer wannabe's. That isn't Assassin's Creed, imo.

The theme she composed is pretty awesome, as well as the variations, but a lot of the other music she did just doesn't feel right. They should've stuck with AC2's "Earth" as the main theme.

Lorne Balfe is a man, man.

Balboa

I'm aware that you can buy an Animus data fragment location map once you find 50 unaided, however what about the memoir pages? Does a location map for those pop up at some point?
You get the data fragment map automatically once you find 50 and the memoir pages map becomes available at the book shop at some point.

Top Bottom