• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Revelations |OT| Requiescat in Pace (56k)

CrazyDude

As a huge fan of AC2 and ACB this one is a massive disappointment to me. Its like they changed what I thought was good in those 2 games and replaced it with bomb making and tower defense. It feels rushed and less thought out (why does infamy go up when you purchase a property? Horrible decision basically telling players they shouldn't do it) and seems a disappointing way to end a series. I am saddened.

The series isn't ending. Assassins Creed 3 is coming out next year.

Toski

Having beaten this a couple of days ago I would put AC1>AC:B=AC:R>AC2. This is the buggiest AC yet (although I think AC1 probably had more game killer ones) and the tower defense is just blah.

I do like the hookblade and the Assassin mentor missions, but as a complete package it is probably below AC:R.

I didn't like the Desmond "flashbacks" at first, but after either the second or third one I "got" it and then actually appreciated what they were trying to do.

I agree though that AC3 needs to change the formula like AC2 did. AC:R and AC:B are good add ons to AC2, but they are AC2 at their heart.

jett

D-Member
As a huge fan of AC2 and ACB this one is a massive disappointment to me. Its like they changed what I thought was good in those 2 games and replaced it with bomb making and tower defense. It feels rushed and less thought out (why does infamy go up when you purchase a property? Horrible decision basically telling players they shouldn't do it) and seems a disappointing way to end a series. I am saddened.

Oh wow so that's why it seemed like my infamous meter was randomly spiking. LOL. This game has more stupid decisions than I thought.

Because people tend to notice if one person or organization is buying up all the property in an area.

It would have been better if it only went up if you buy alot of property in ONE area in a very short amount of time.

MrDaravon

About halfway through the game story-wise; I've done all of the side bullshit stuff excluding getting all 100 of the animus fragments, and I honestly have no real desire to keep going. There's just too much added bullshit to this one, and the (apparent) lack of any real villain isn't helping. As a huge, huge fan of the last two games this has been a major disappointment, I honestly regret buying it day 1, and that's not going to happen again.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is there some kind of glitch with the bank system? I was looking on GameFaqs and it looks like a lot of people seem to have hit a bug where they aren't getting any money. I'm stuck in that situation too. :/

Choc

Banned
Is there some kind of glitch with the bank system? I was looking on GameFaqs and it looks like a lot of people seem to have hit a bug where they aren't getting any money. I'm stuck in that situation too. :/

Thats the Global Financial Crisis (TM) feature

Because people tend to notice if one person or organization is buying up all the property in an area.

It would have been better if it only went up if you buy alot of property in ONE area in a very short amount of time.
Yeah it would have. There are a few things about property that bother me. Why are the shops only open after I buy them, don't the Templar's need to buy stuff too? Shouldn't it be if I buy the shop I get a huge discount instead of paying full price if it was run by a Templar. How come the banks don't work right either, they only hold so much then I need to take it all out just to carry it with me?

.. I know video game logic :/

BJK

There definitely is; I was playing for about 4-5 hours straight today, and only saw 1 deposit in my bank. (They should come every 20 minutes).

I'm well past the 3/4 mark in upgrading the town, so there's not much I need the cash for - thankfully - but I'd like to just buy the last few landmarks and get that part of the game over with.

There were some poor choices made with this game. I've already got 2 sets of armor that are better than the ones I can buy in the blacksmith shop.
Master Assassin's and the Pasha Armor
. I had a full set of max stat gear / armor by somewhere around Chapter 3. The good armor makes the tailor shop dyes useless, which wouldn't be such a bad thing if those armors didn't make me want to dye it so badly.
Having to hit up a herald after every building improvement or two is more of a means to stretch the game out than anything else.

In Chapter 6, and having finished the Desmond missions....I can't help but feel like AC:B had more "revelations" at this point in the game than AC:R has had thusfar.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wow, just doing the Desmond things. I can't believe they decided to do their own
Portal-like
sequences. I'm not even sure where this idea came from, given that previous games had similar sections but in third person.

Wow, just doing the Desmond things. I can't believe they decided to do their own
Portal-like
sequences. I'm not even sure where this idea came from, given that previous games had similar sections but in third person.

I KNOW!

THAT was my biggest disappointment, forget all the other shit people are complaining about. I was so ready for the Desmond sections of this game to be like the final Subject 16 mission from Brotherhood, where the digital world was forming as you were free-running through it.

Assassin's Creed + Bastion + The Matrix.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I KNOW!

THAT was my biggest disappointment, forget all the other shit people are complaining about. I was so ready for the Desmond sections of this game to be like the final Subject 16 mission from Brotherhood, where the digital world was forming as you were free-running through it.

Assassin's Creed + Bastion + The Matrix.

Yeah, that worked great, so I'm not sure why they felt the need to re-invent the wheel.

Mr_eX

Am I going crazy or is there only like 2 character models for the NPCs in this game? I just did the mission where you
start a riot
and there was a part where the NPCs run at the camera and they were all the same character model.

About halfway through the game story-wise; I've done all of the side bullshit stuff excluding getting all 100 of the animus fragments, and I honestly have no real desire to keep going. There's just too much added bullshit to this one, and the (apparent) lack of any real villain isn't helping. As a huge, huge fan of the last two games this has been a major disappointment, I honestly regret buying it day 1, and that's not going to happen again.

I still haven't been able to return to this. I'm on chapter 3 I think. So much filler. It just makes me not want to play. I wish I hadn't bought this on day 1.

Ranger X

True, but its over for me until they change their 1 a year dev cycle... Or until i see significant improvements.

AC2, Brotherhood and Revelations were made with the same tech so that's why you don't have significant technical improvement from one game to another. The next Assassin's Creed game however is a new gen of tech. Also, they said they have more than one "team" working on Assassin's Creed games, it's not like it's always the same people year after year. Their dev cycles are longer than a year but they have teams overlapping.

Riposte

I'm still surprised this discussion about "what is AC" is still popping.

After 4 games people didn't noticed already that this game is an ACTION GAME with stealth elements? I don't see why it would evolve toward being a stealth game. It's not a stealth game.

That's too bad, because it is an ass "action game", but a pretty good "stealth game".

(Also 100% syncs tended to favor stealth in ACB.)

nel e nel

Noriega said:
So how do you get the emblems for Multiplayer in Desmond's journey?
you find these floating cubes in the levels. i ran across a few.you find these floating cubes in the levels. i ran across a few.

Yep, listen for the tinkly noise that treasure chests make and you'll find them. They are usually up on a platform that you have to drop blocks to get to. I've found a couple on the ground level hiding behind corners that are off the beaten path too.

So I guess only the DD version of PC has a worldwide release? I misread it as all and was disappointed when I went to the gamestop by me and they said thursday. :(

Yeah, I'm done with this game. Tired of the tower defense, tired of the lackluster story, tired of the same bullshit combat, bombs suck...just bleh. I have zero desire to keep playing this game.

C'mon AC3 :/

rataven

Am I going crazy or is there only like 2 character models for the NPCs in this game? I just did the mission where you
start a riot
and there was a part where the NPCs run at the camera and they were all the same character model.
I've recruited nine assassins for my guild, and only have four unique faces among them. Must be something in Constantinople's water; twins and triplets on the rise.

That's too bad, because it is an ass "action game", but a pretty good "stealth game".

(Also 100% syncs tended to favor stealth in ACB.)

Ugh, no.

There is very little traditional stealth in Assassin's Creed. Aside from blending in with crowds and using your free-running to break and stay out of sight-lines, the game has always been more action-focused and better for it.

You stay out of sight until it's time to strike, then the action hits, then the epic chase sequence. The fact that the game gives you flexibility to lean more heavily on stealth or action is nice, but AC is at it's best when you're moving, not when you're hiding.

Completed this last night. Funny for all the people complaining about the story or lack of interesting things, for me this is the first Assassins Creed I've been utterly compelled to finish asap (the others I took my time and enjoyed but towards the end of this I had to progess the story and ditch the side stuff for the time being). The end mission was awesome and loved how they ended Etzio and Altairs stories. Bring on AC3 please.

Yeah, I'm done with this game. Tired of the tower defense, tired of the lackluster story, tired of the same bullshit combat, bombs suck...just bleh. I have zero desire to keep playing this game.
Level up all your assassins to Master Assassin to protect all your dens. Bonus: the Master Assassin missions are not bad.

I didn't care for the bombs at first either, but the tactical and diversion bombs are actually pretty useful if you give them a chance.

Steam, hurry up and let me play it.

Sincerely,

Me

It's good to know after delaying PC release once again (only two weeks!), and shit Ubisoft is throwing at PC gaming, people still want to drop money Day 1 on Ubisoft game. I guess some like pain and abuse.

Going to get it in two months 50% off.

It's good to know after delaying PC release once again (only two weeks!), and shit Ubisoft is throwing at PC gaming, people still want to drop money Day 1 on Ubisoft game. I guess some like pain and abuse.

Oh please do get off it. I'm just trying to support some of my friends, who did work on the game.

Danny-Boy

Level up all your assassins to Master Assassin to protect all your dens. Bonus: the Master Assassin missions are not bad.

I didn't care for the bombs at first either, but the tactical and diversion bombs are actually pretty useful if you give them a chance.

Yup. I spent a few hours leveling up my assassins to master assassins and used them to protect all the dens.

Also at first I hated the Desmond segments but grew to love them. Actually the more I play the game the way it was meant to be played, the more I love it.

I think it's criminal some of the review scores it got. I'm up to sequence 4, put in about 10 hours, and I'd currently rate the game a 9.5.

That armor is already in the retail game. It's tied to one of the collectables and tombs. Seems more like an early unlock circumventing the requirements.

No, the final armor in the game is the Ishak Pasha armor.

This is an outfit that has before this only been available in select special editions and pre-orders.

And IMO, it looks better than the Ishak Pasha armor.

No, the final armor in the game is the Ishak Pasha armor.

This is an outfit that has before this only been available in select special editions and pre-orders.

And IMO, it looks better than the Ishak Pasha armor.
It says in the link that it's the Ishak Pasha armor. If it's just a skin, then cool.

I Platinumed the game today.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I really enjoyed this game. My only complaints are the bugs, loss of background music, no bank deposits... really annoying. Also, yes, the tower defense mini game sucks, but you only have to do it once so I don't really care. I think the game was a little short on content, though, and the stuff they added sure didn't make up for it, so I think ACB is the better game.

Despite that, I still had lots of fun with this game, short lived as it was. Maybe it's just because I love Assassin's Creed, I don't know, I'm really not sure why there is so much negativity surrounding this game. I loved the Altair memories, and I loved Sequence 7... hell, as soon as Sequence 7 started I couldn't stop doing story missions until the end of the game and as a result I was left with a lot of side stuff to do afterwards. Oh and the Italian bard mission was fantastic as well.

I Platinumed the game today.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I really enjoyed this game. My only complaints are the bugs, loss of background music, no bank deposits... really annoying. Also, yes, the tower defense mini game sucks, but you only have to do it once so I don't really care. I think the game was a little short on content, though, and the stuff they added sure didn't make up for it, so I think ACB is the better game.

Despite that, I still had lots of fun with this game, short lived as it was. Maybe it's just because I love Assassin's Creed, I don't know, I'm really not sure why there is so much negativity surrounding this game. I loved the Altair memories, and I loved Sequence 7... hell, as soon as Sequence 7 started I couldn't stop doing story missions until the end of the game and as a result I was left with a lot of side stuff to do afterwards. Oh and the Italian bard mission was fantastic as well.

Only problem I had with the game aside from the stupid bugs was the lack of major assassination style missions. Not even something as grand as the stuff in AC1, but some of the notable story missions in AC2 and ACB still included infiltrating a section of the city and taking out a particularly sneaky or well-guarded target - like the fat guy at the orgy, for example.

Oh, and as an Altair fan, I would have liked to see longer missions for him. We have yet to play a game that shows him dealing with Attila the Hun and the Mongol horde. Even if we were limited to one smaller area instead of a full city, it would have been cool to see the original badass do more of his thing.

Jtrizzy

Rented the PS3 version to get an idea of whether or not to pick it up for pc; I thought it was pretty impressive from a technical standpoint for consoles. I'm sure the PC version will be borked at launch, it is a pc game after all and it's from Ubisoft on top of that. However, if they do get it running properly, I think it could be pretty amazing on PC. Open world games really make good use of the extra hardware imo.

I don't like the combat though, it's really boring. Another complaint is there is so much HUD shit taking up space on the screen. Also, I'm really early in the game...but am I being shot by muskets/rifles or something?

Irish

Rented the PS3 version to get an idea of whether or not to pick it up for pc; I thought it was pretty impressive from a technical standpoint for consoles. I'm sure the PC version will be borked at launch, it is a pc game after all and it's from Ubisoft on top of that. However, if they do get it running properly, I think it could be pretty amazing on PC. Open world games really make good use of the extra hardware imo.

Trizzy... Your PC is fucking amazing (well, your components are, should have gotten someone else to build it for you or built it yourself). You can run anything practically. Much better than consoles.

but am I being shot by muskets/rifles or something?

Probably

Jtrizzy

PC gaming is a fucking pain in the ass. I had a friend help me build it, games crash (BF3 not as bad as it was at launch, Crysis 2 freezes at a point, I can't get past it, so I'm stuck)...paid someone to tear it down and rebuild the right way, and with good cable management, games run great but still have crashing problems.

I can't even get in a game on BF3 because of some kind of network problems, yet I get on just fine with the PS3 version. Arkham city has been great(other than the fact that DX11 has been broken since day one), but for some reason none of the graphical changes I make before launching actually take place.

PC gaming is a fucking pain in the ass. I had a friend help me build it, games crash (BF3 not as bad as it was at launch, Crysis 2 freezes at a point, I can't get past it, so I'm stuck)...paid someone to tear it down and rebuild the right way, and with good cable management, games run great but still have crashing problems.

I can't even get in a game on BF3 because of some kind of network problems, yet I get on just fine with the PS3 version. Arkham city has been great(other than the fact that DX11 has been broken since day one), but for some reason none of the graphical changes I make before launching actually take place.

Are your drivers up to date? Have you downloaded patches if there are any for the games? Have you googled to see if others are having similar issues? Your complaints are really vague so it's hard to help.

Beernf

AC2, Brotherhood and Revelations were made with the same tech so that's why you don't have significant technical improvement from one game to another. The next Assassin's Creed game however is a new gen of tech. Also, they said they have more than one "team" working on Assassin's Creed games, it's not like it's always the same people year after year. Their dev cycles are longer than a year but they have teams overlapping.

You can throw all your international art outsourcing teams onto a game and call it more than 1 year of dev time, but the creative minds behind it still have 1 year. All the animators and artists in beijing, canada, and wherever the hell else they have them don't come up with the compelling, creative gameplay that is needed to keep a 1 a year title interesting.

That comes from a core group of creative types, and I can tell you from experience, that with only a year of dev time, you start falling back on the 'what is popular right now' style of game design and you get shit like a tower defense mini game. You are hamstrung by a budget and a time restraint that really curtails what you can do, all the while being told by your publisher that it needs to not alienate its 'core demographic' so they can guarantee sales of 4 million or whatever.

Maybe a change in tech and a new story will do wonders for the game. If it comes out in a year though, i think you can expect to see minimal advancements in gameplay, even if it has a shiny new coat of paint.

I was a little bit worried after seeing so many disappointed people in this thread, and I was scared I wouldn't enjoy Revelations as much as the previous AC games based on the reviews I've read. But damn am I surprised at how much I'm enjoying this game.

I'm currently on Sequence 3 and have 26% synchronization, total playtime is ~8 hours.
I've been recruiting Assassin's/leveling them up, I'm enjoying the Assassin missions.
I did one bomb mission so far, bombs aren't as bad as I thought they'd be. I've done the den defense thing twice, and even that isn't as bad as what most people are saying IMO.

I'm loving the city, it's truly beautiful. I'm impressed with how detailed everything is.

In short;
I'm loving everything about this game. :D

Sai

That comes from a core group of creative types, and I can tell you from experience, that with only a year of dev time, you start falling back on the 'what is popular right now' style of game design and you get shit like a tower defense mini game.
... Tower defense is popular? D:

MrDaravon

Just finished the game, hugely disappointing. I won't re-iterate my gameplay complaints from before, but aside from that they do jack fucking shit to give the game any sort of focus, story, or characters that you give two shits about whatsoever. People are introduced and die but you don't care, and there's no sort of focus or "villian" until arguably the end, and that's it. The sense of progression in this game is totally messed up; I probably spent literally 3-4 times in this game doing side stuff not related to the main game, and if you did just the story missions you could probably beat the game in a sitting, it's super short (despite the number of sequences it throws at you). The Desmond bits were sort of interesting, but also didn't really add anything. The game's title is completely misleading, someone could fill you in on the events of this game in less than 30 seconds before playing the last game, it's complete and utter filler. It's still a good game on paper mechanics-wise (at least once you lock all your dens, and if you completely ignore Mediterranean Defense) but everything else is not great. Definitely a 7 or 8 at best, and I would have rated the last two games 9.5-10.

Also as a complete aside, it is super disappointing that when you call your assassin's out, they no longer say cool shit before they run off like they used to in Brotherhood (like "Death is the fate of all men", etc).

Top Bottom