• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Revelations |OT| Requiescat in Pace (56k)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'm aware that you can buy an Animus data fragment location map once you find 50 unaided, however what about the memoir pages? Does a location map for those pop up at some point?

They become available after you destroy 25 fragments.

Radec

I'm on Sequence 7 and I'm completely lost.

The back and fourth story of Altair and Ezio gave me a bitter taste on the story so far.

Curufinwe

Haha, no. The only thing Batman does better than Assassin's Creed is combat. And honestly, Batman's combat basically just looked at AC's counter-focused, rhythmic combat and asked 'show can we make this faster and smoother'.

Everything else - Stealth, city traversal, story-telling, etc, Assassin's Creed does better and with more variety.

As a HUGE fan of Arkham Asylum, Arkham City was a terrible disappointment. Rocksteady's gameplay systems and design work amazingly well in a controlled, Metroid-esque game, but in an open city, the game was just dull.

Arkham Asylum came out three months before AC II, and its combat is so far advanced on the garbage in the original Assassin's Creed that saying it's just a faster & smoother version of it is a joke. Then Arkham City took combat to an even higher level, as well as implementing the best open world traversal mechanic this side of Just Cause 2.

Arkham City was exciting from start to finish and a massive improvement on the original which kept Batman tied down and restricted. The huge increase in gameplay possibilities Arkham City offered could only be dull to someone not equipped to make the most of them.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
While I don't think AC's combat is amazing by any means, I do think the comparisons to Batman are weird. Ezio and Altair's style of fighting is a lot more grounded in reality and they would look ridiculous with Batman's moveset and fluidity.

Irish

Just bought AA from Steam earlier in the week (now to figure out why it isn't working) and have AC ready to be played afterwards. If GAF has been lying to me about the quality of these games like they did with the utter trash that is Bioshock, I'm going to be so fucking pissed.

Still, it would be nice to play a game that has combat similar to the Assassin's Creed series that is supposedly much more fluid and a lot faster.

Just bought AA from Steam earlier in the week (now to figure out why it isn't working) and have AC ready to be played afterwards. If GAF has been lying to me about the quality of these games like they did with the utter trash that is Bioshock, I'm going to be so fucking pissed.

Still, it would be nice to play a game that has combat similar to the Assassin's Creed series that is supposedly much more fluid and a lot faster.

Bioshock is terrible, I love the Batman games though.
Combat is much deeper in Batman then AC, The AC environments are much better then Batman's though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Has anyone had issues with the Mercenary Guild Mission? I am on the protection segment of it and it tells me to finish off the soldiers, but no more show and it won't move on.

Irish

Has anyone had issues with the Mercenary Guild Mission? I am on the protection segment of it and it tells me to finish off the soldiers, but no more show and it won't move on.

Sounds like it's ready for a restart then.

Also, that mission was an extremely funny one for me. Since the optional objective for full synch was to stay undetected, I ended up leaping from the roof into a haystack situated right in the middle of the battle and assassinated about a dozen dudes all while remaining hidden in the hay. Ezio kept popping up like a whack-a-mole and pulling in dead guys with him when he retreated.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Sounds like it's ready for a restart then.

Also, that mission was an extremely funny one for me. Since the optional objective for full synch was to stay undetected, I ended up leaping from the roof into a haystack situated right in the middle of the battle and assassinated about a dozen dudes all while remaining hidden in the hay. Ezio kept popping up like a whack-a-mole and pulling in dead guys with him when he retreated.

It finally went through after a couploe retries. To stay undetected I just called in an arrow strike that wiped out every single guard in the area lol.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
They are so god damn awful that I didn't bother doing them beyond the first one.

I did the five that were available to me, but I didn't enjoy the process. Even Nolan North sounded bored.

Right now I'm stuck on Part 2 of The Champion. I'm finding it hard to defend the herald from harm as I repeatedly forget that I have 4 bomb slots.

Scapegoat

Wow, the Animus sequences are utterly uninspiring.
Yeah. The Desmond narration is cool but the actual gameplay feels so half baked.

I wish they would have gone with VR style obstacle courses like the Subject 16 program from Brotherhood.

Dany

Banned
Bombs were dumb, never used them. Tower Defense was annoying. Ending was cool, I just hope a substantial open world element is as desmond.

Ranger X

There's something going on around the Dens that I don't like. I mean, Dens you still didn't conquer. If there's a patrol of guards tied to that high alert zone around the Dens that patrols a bit outside the zone, they still spot you right away even if nobody is in the high alert zone. This is fucking annoying and happening right now to the Dens I am tackling. It's especially annoying when you're trying to minimise combat in your game (like I normally have fun to do...)

Sectus

Just completed the game. I enjoyed it overall, although it felt super similar to Brotherhood. I didn't feel like some of the additions made a huge impact, like the custom bombs and the hookblade. They're nice additions but it didn't stop the game from feeling exactly like Brotherhood. Overall I prefer Brotherhood, not because it's mechanically better, but because I like the setting much much more. The only gameplay thing I can think of which is better in Brotherhood are the templar dens (or whatever they were called in Brotherhood). They seemed possible to complete stealthily in Brotherhood, while in Revelations it's insanely hard to avoid a fight or to do "stealthily" by spamming poison darts/knives/crossbow bolts.

My complaints would be the same as in Brotherhood. I didn't like the dungeons in Brotherhood and I didn't like them here, they're way too linear for me to enjoy. They look pretty at least. Subject 16's puzzles have always annoyed me, they're better and different here but they still are bad. I like the ending regarding that:
subject 16 is finally gone and that makes me glad. No more bad puzzles and conspiracy theories please!

And also, after playing Arkham Asylum and Arkham City (I played both of these a few weeks ago for the first time) the combat system seems insanely bad in comparison.

I've probably said a bunch of negative things, but I did enjoy the game overrall. I like that the ending actually (mostly) makes sense for a change and that parts of the storyline is finally concluded. As usual, I can't keep up with the Desmond storyline (I can't even remember what the primary point was regarding Desmond's story in AC1, AC2, or Brotherhood), but I like the Ezio/Altair stuff.

I'd like to see some drastic changes with the next AC. A different setting is obvious, but I'd also like to see some of the mechanics overhauled. Like the combat system which I think is a bit of a mess. As for setting:
After seeing that ending cinematic, it would be interesting if they chose the "ones who came before" as its setting. Although, I suppose the game would lose some of its appeal by not being based on some real historical era.

And, OP, you're a meanie! The first post is all fancy and stuff, but I'd classify some of the info there as spoilers. There's nothing major, but I was 100% in the dark about the game and the OP lists some info I'd prefer to have discovered myself by playing the game.

I'm having fun with multiplayer as well. Although I think I might *barely* prefer Brotherhood's multiplayer.

Edit: I did get some bugs with the game, but they were all very silly humorous ones. For instance at one point I climbed up to a rooftop with a guard. He shouted at me... and then ran off the rooftop and fell to his death! I must have really startled him.

At another point I got a really bizarre bug. During a mission with an assassin, he ran up to me with 0 health and I could loot him, although he was still alive. That was kinda odd.

Irish

I'm listening to the soundtrack, and I really hope Jesper Kyd does the whole AC3 soundtrack. Lorne Balfe's work for this one is pretty good, but the parts Kyd did compose sound a whole lot more unique and better, while also more in tune with the previous games (obviously).

I don't know... I think another collabo would be great. Lorne's stuff can be really great at times, it just doesn't have as much flair as Kyd's.

Of course, I hate the stuff he (Lorne) has with vocals. Not that interesting. (The theme for instance)

Clevinger

Am I the only one that thought AC's combat was great for what it was?

Nope. I've always loved it. But they could probably make the non-timing/non-blocking/non-countering based stuff more interesting than "keep hacking away at them and then you'll kill them." That's the only weak part of it for me.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I like how in AC1 Altair sometimes just punched people in the stomach.

The first thing that needs to be fixed is having enemies just standing around you waiting. It's better than in AC1 but overall still not very good. The player needs to be able to do quick back or sidesteps, and a direct-kill move when guards are not in a position to properly block. Also a leap-over move.

So it would be:

1- Be surrounded by enemies.
2- Enemies attack at once.
3- Player backsteps, sidesteps, or leaps over depending on the situation.
4- Enemies are now off-guard for a split second.
5- Player uses direct-kill attack, then follows with kill-streak.

But the kill-streak would be nerfed a bit because it would no longer be necessary with the above. It was implemented to make the fights faster, but the above would do that. So enemies should be able to start blocking your kill-streak after a few kills.

Enemies should not be able to freerun (they have guns now anyway), should instead climb awkwardly, while some other enemies should be on par with the assassin both attack and movement-wise.

A lot can be done with the combat but it hasn't evolved much.

And it's about time this series gets some actual stealth-kills. Every fucking game has it but AC only has the hidden-blade kill. Now that I think about it, I think the series would have been better if you had no weapons other than weapons that can be hidden. Hidden-blade, hidden-gun, throwing knives. Make the whole combat system revolve around that and you'd have something really unique. The weapons don't make the game any more fun, they are pretty much all the same and make the player feel less like an assassin anyway.

The problem with the combat is that there is always that 1 instance due to something, that ruins your chain and getting hit (and lose full sync for some quests).

Arkham Asylum came out three months before AC II, and its combat is so far advanced on the garbage in the original Assassin's Creed that saying it's just a faster & smoother version of it is a joke.

Oh boy, this is going to be a long post.

Both Assassin's Creed and Batman build their combat around the same core conceits. They're built around 4 actions - attack, dodge, crowd control abilities (whether that's grabbing, cape swiping, kicking dust, throwing knives and crossbows, or gadgets), and counter, all of which can be used at any time.

Both games feature a MUCH heavier emphasis on counters than other melee combat systems, and rely on free-flowing animations to connect disparate actions targeted at different enemies.

Both systems allow players to prioritize targets simply by aiming the stick in their direction, and prioritizes counters slightly to ensure that players can interrupt animations to pull off a counter during the timing window.

Assassin's Creed did this first (or at least, did the modern interpretation of this system first). The original combat system was based on real blade techniques in use in the time period, offensive and defensive postures, etc. In practice, the postures were just modifiers to the basic actions, giving players more options to use in combat. It was more methodical and visceral than most action/adventure game combat, and asked the outnumbered assassin to bait his enemies in and counter their attacks. Assassin's Creed 2 built on this foundation by offering a wider-range of crowd control abilities and more weapons to use.

All Batman did was remove some of the rigidness of this system with some catch-all mechanics and smooth it out with shorter but more varied animation routines.

Instead of having to use a specific counter to counter grabs, versus another button to counter strikes, and counters that change based on what weapon you're using (disarms, for example) Batman can counter everything with a do-all counter button. Less thought involved. Simplification.

In Assassin's Creed 2, players can swap out their crowd control abilities (smoke bombs, throwing knives, crossbow, gun, etc), and can be disarmed or use any number of weapons (4 in the original, dozens in the second and beyond). In both AC and AC2, different weapons have different attack speeds and power, as well as different timing counter windows (particularly noticeable in the first AC, where the hidden blade was a bitch to counter with, and you couldn't block with it, but sooooo satisfying... especially against Templars), and effectiveness against specific enemies. Once again, Batman simplifies. Batman has the same traits at all times.

In order to achieve this level of simplification, they made some cuts. They removed the ability to block from both Batman and a few specialized enemy types. This ensures that players can keep combos moving, makes for easier crowd control and kindergarten-level enemy prioritization, and keeps players from being frustrated.

In Assassin's Creed, enemies are just as capable of blocking as Altair or Ezio is. They also grab, dodge, and perform other techniques. So you're forced to use grabs, dodges, disarms, throwing knives as well as attacks to get them off balance for a kill, or bait them into attacking and letting their guard down. And you have to think about this for all enemies, at all times, because they are ALL capable, not just a bunch of a scrubs backed up by a few guys with car doors for shields or guns.

The best part about the combat in Assassin's Creed is how you can experiment with all the abilities at your disposal to take down groups of capable enemies effectively. In Batman, the combat is about how long you can string together combos against increasingly large groups of generally ineffective enemies, backed up by a few easily identifiable priority targets (all of which have a single means of defeating them -- you beat dudes with shields the same way everytime, likewise for titans, dudes with tazers, etc).

Both have their strengths and weakness, their own rhythm and visceral satisfaction. But to ignore the obvious shared heritage of their combat systems is idiotic. Batman is simply a faster, smoother version of the combat in Assassin's Creed. I'm sorry you find the notion that Batman's combat is a smoother, simpler version of the combat in AC, but I don't mean it as an insult. It works well for the game it's in.

Grisby

Just played about 3 hours or so. Liked the opening. Seems like classic creed stuff.

They need to come up with a better system of introducing all of their mechanics like the shops and such. I feel like I'm getting bombarded from the start with that stuff.

Speaking of which...

where the hell did Desmond's dad come from? I don't recall him appearing in any other game, but now he's here like he's always been here o_O. And why does the whole game feel like random parts of matrix revelations?

To anyone that plays on the PC, How is the DRM on steam? Stayed clear of the series due to the horror stories that came out about the DRM. How about the other games?

Speaking of which...

where the hell did Desmond's dad come from? I don't recall him appearing in any other game, but now he's here like he's always been here o_O. And why does the whole game feel like random parts of matrix revelations?

he's always been there ,we didn't know his relationship to Desmond but if you actually read the e-mail out of the anymus in Brotherhood the name has come up several times.

Personally I felt that the move was done in an attempt to reduce budget. >_>>

How?!! Why?!!!

Dany

Banned
Speaking of which...

I think that was just an old fellow calling a young guy 'son' not as in 'you are my child desmond.

Also, the first people stuff, was that guy infering there were more cycles of this happening? He said something about 6 cycles, reminded me of the matrix and what the architect said.

Though I could be wrong

JaseC

Yeah. The Desmond narration is cool but the actual gameplay feels so half baked.

I wish they would have gone with VR style obstacle courses like the Subject 16 program from Brotherhood.

Yeah, I enjoyed those. The terrible
Portal-Tetris hybrid
in Revelations is nothing more than change for the sake of change.

Yeah, I thought they were pretty damn terrible, myself. You don't even find out anything interesting from Desmond's narration. Snooze fest.

Not only were the sections completely phoned in all respects, we're also at the fourth core game of the series and so any added depth to his character will feel contrived and forced.

Yeah, I enjoyed those. The terrible
Portal-Tetris hybrid
in Revelations is nothing more than change for the sake of change.

Not only were the sections completely phoned in all respects, we're also at the fourth core game of the series and so any added depth to his character will feel contrived and forced.

Btw how many of those are there, I beat the game and got the trophies i needed for Desmond journey, is there an incentive(bar trophies) to keep looking for the memory segments?

I miss Ezio, already. I mean I know it was time to move on but I don't know if any character will be as good as he is.

ultron87

The worst part about the Desmond sequences was that repeatedly spamming the platforms was by far the most effective strategy.

It seemed like at points they wanted you to be really deliberate with placing them, but there was no reason to when you could just barrel your way through even the moving fields that delete the platforms.

Aspiring

So I gave in and ordered this game. Just one question, is there some sort of backstory included in the game? I own AC2 but only played half until my PS3 YLOD and I lost my save, and couldn't go back. Also never played Brotherhood.

ultron87

So I gave in and ordered this game. Just one question, is there some sort of backstory included in the game? I own AC2 but only played half until my PS3 YLOD and I lost my save, and couldn't go back. Also never played Brotherhood.

I would highly highly suggest finishing AC2 and Brotherhood first. The story in this will make little to no sense otherwise.

Also, this game would be greatly diminished if you don't have the attachment to Ezio as a character that gets built up in the previous two game.

I would highly highly suggest finishing AC2 and Brotherhood first. The story in this will make little to no sense otherwise.

Also, this game would be greatly diminished if you don't have the attachment to Ezio as a character that gets built up in the previous two game.

at least finish AC2, Best game of the series to me and Ezio is such a lovable character. It was a fun ride from start to end. I'd love it if Ezio is the main character for the Vita game.

Nemesis_

The only decent sequence from Desmond for me was the one with the Nightclub. I really liked that one. Music and the surrealism really went down well for me.

JaseC

Btw how many of those are there, I beat the game and got the trophies i needed for Desmond journey, is there an incentive(bar trophies) to keep looking for the memory segments?

I miss Ezio, already. I mean I know it was time to move on but I don't know if any character will be as good as he is.

I can't be sure. I haven't found all of the Animus data fragments just yet, although I did unlock an outfit when I completed the fifth Desmond sequence.

Clevinger

So you learn nothing interesting, and nothing progresses, in the Desmond's Journey levels? I've done two of them and I fucking loathe them. I want to just skip them, unless the there's important story in them.

If there is anything important, can someone put a summary in spoiler tags for me? Thanks.

JaseC

So you learn nothing interesting, and nothing progresses, in the Desmond's Journey levels? I've done two of them and I fucking loathe them. I want to just skip them, unless the there's important story in them.

If there is anything important, can someone put a summary in spoiler tags for me? Thanks.

After a few games of
Portatetris
, you've learnt that
Desmond was unhappy about being born into the mysterious life of the assassin and so ran away to New York to serve (drinks) and perv (on girls) - only to later realise, after being found by Abstergo, he made a mistake and wishes to take it all back. Shakespeare as its most profound!

I'm still 25-30 data fragments short of all 100, so I'm not sure if any additional sequences become available thereafter; although, given the fifth sequence briefly recounts
Desmond being found by Warren Vidic (the disagreeable scientist from the original game)
, I suspect there are just that.

Of the three characters in the Assassin's Creed games, two of them jumped headfirst into the life of the assassin without any hesitation.

One of them ran from that life.

Personally, I was interested to get inside the head of that person, and find out what it was about this life that made him want to escape.

And when you actually think about the life he lived, the way he was raised... you'd probably want out too.

It made me empathize with Desmond, for probably the first time in the series.

Of the three characters in the Assassin's Creed games, two of them jumped headfirst into the life of the assassin without any hesitation.

One of them ran from that life.

Personally, I was interested to get inside the head of that person, and find out what it was about this life that made him want to escape.

And when you actually think about the life he lived, the way he was raised... you'd probably want out too.

It made me empathize with Desmond, for probably the first time in the series.

I agree, I don't know why he is so hated plus Ezio kinda had it forced on him, Altair was raised an assassin but Ezio wasn't and he
regretted it
at the end. BTW am I the only on that was saddened/moved by Altair's story especially when he
cam back from exile and how his wife died

Top Bottom