• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Revelations |OT| Requiescat in Pace (56k)

So does anyone know what the 3rd outfit is?
I have Old Altair and Desmond already.

I think it just leaves an open slot so you know there are more to get.

I have those two you mentioned, plus
Altair (came with my Collector's Edition), and now The Turkish Armor from that Gamespot promotion.

I have a friend who has the
Brutus Armor
in a slot as well.

BJK

The game's title is completely misleading, someone could fill you in on the events of this game in less than 30 seconds before playing the last game, it's complete and utter filler. It's still a good game on paper mechanics-wise (at least once you lock all your dens, and if you completely ignore Mediterranean Defense) but everything else is not great. Definitely a 7 or 8 at best, and I would have rated the last two games 9.5-10.

I dropped the "Assassin's Creed: No Revelations" tag in the spoiler thread, and while I won't get into the reasons why that's true here...when a franchise's story is built on being secretive on plot (they didn't even mention the Animus / genetic memory thing until well after Kristen Bell leaked it) and taking that plot in wild directions, they probably shouldn't tag their most conventional game with the "Revelations" subtitle.

I'm also amazed at how useless Mediterranean defense turned out to be. Sure, I can build assassins' dens in other cities, and store additional assassins there, but why would I need to? You're limited on the number of assassins you can use at any given time; once you get your entire team to level 10 + Den Masters, there's no actual point in doing extra missions. I ended up using them as a revenue stream in the middle chapters (~ Ch. 5 - 6), when the bank did not pay up every 20 minutes.

And of course, everything you do gets reset while in Ch. 7, since you can't send people on missions while in the cave.

Plus, I tend to blame the Mediterranean Defense for the recruiting mission where the guy runs up to Ezio saying "Assassin! Assassin!" and following him around that part of town. (The mission stayed on the map even when I didn't have an open assassin slot. And, oddly enough, the templars never seem to react to the guy following me around and calling me an assassin in the middle of town.)

It's more Assassin's Creed if you like Assassin's Creed, but nothing they give you changes the basics of the game enough to justify the $60 purchase. (I think I used bombs 10-20 times the whole game...half of them being the smoke bombs that were already in the AC toolkit).

Ranger X

You can throw all your international art outsourcing teams onto a game and call it more than 1 year of dev time, but the creative minds behind it still have 1 year. All the animators and artists in beijing, canada, and wherever the hell else they have them don't come up with the compelling, creative gameplay that is needed to keep a 1 a year title interesting.

That comes from a core group of creative types, and I can tell you from experience, that with only a year of dev time, you start falling back on the 'what is popular right now' style of game design and you get shit like a tower defense mini game. You are hamstrung by a budget and a time restraint that really curtails what you can do, all the while being told by your publisher that it needs to not alienate its 'core demographic' so they can guarantee sales of 4 million or whatever.

Maybe a change in tech and a new story will do wonders for the game. If it comes out in a year though, i think you can expect to see minimal advancements in gameplay, even if it has a shiny new coat of paint.

I was talking about the main team in Montreal actually. Yes there's multiple countries involved each year but Ubi said themselves that multiple teams in Montreal are making AC games. It's the usual team overlapping way of doing things, like Call of Duty, Need For Speed and stuff. At least 2 teams are making games and they game comes out in alternance each year, litterally leaving place for a more than 1 year production.

AEREC

The game really does look fucking amazing on PC - I just continue to be stunned with the detail, and damn it runs great for me at 1080p.

What are your specs?

Ive played all the previous AC's on the 360 but was considering PC for this one. I woudl be running it on a i7 and GTX 460 1GB.

KingJ2002

I'm probably repeating others here... but yeah... i think i'm halfway through the game and it definitely has a unfinished feel to it.

for starters... the whole bomb system seems over emphasized... it's not that crucial to have all these different bombs... i usually keep the same bombs (datura, caltrops / smoke, cherry bomb) throughout the game... and most of the time the game makes you use the bombs rather than you feeling like you need to use it.

The Desmond "portal style" levels look cool... but honestly take away from the core experience... feels very very forced in and not well thought out.... same with the tower defense mini-games.

and the lack of a decent manual lock on is the most frustrating thing on the planet... trying to escape from a fight is far harder than in the last game.

then there's the clipping, characters getting stuck in walls, and your game breaking glitches.

all in all... i'm playing through it because i love the series... but i'm not the biggest fan of this iteration.

IMO... brotherhood was far more polished.

ubisoft should give this game a rest... and knock AC3 out of the park.

Ranger X

The game really does look fucking amazing on PC - I just continue to be stunned with the detail, and damn it runs great for me at 1080p.

I am also impressed by the visual (any version) but because of the level artist's work. In that game nothing is placed by a program or procedurally. ALL the decoration, little broken thing on the ground, patch of this and patch of that, vines, etc are all placed carefully by hand. It's a tremendous work and it's fucking beautiful.

For those who have the
Master Assassin armor
, what color are your robes? Mine are the default gray with the pink sash. But in the official guide, the robes are supposed to be dark green and gold.

Just wondering if anyone else has the same problem.

Managed to snag a Altair code, along with the GS promotion and my animus addition i think that is all of them.

Havnt even touched the game yet, just finished my replay of AC1 - AC2 and starting AC:B for the first time, im not very "grabbed" by it so far, iv just burnt the first borgia tower hopefully it improves i love AC1/2 so much be a shame to see AC:B which i was told was the best so far turn out to be meh.

Excited for AC3 without even knowing the story. New character can only be good.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So, uh, this may seem like a strange question, but how do you restart DNA sequences other than dying? I've only been playing the game a short while and failed the full sync requirement for "A Journal of Some Kind", so I'd like to start from the beginning/the most recent checkpoint; however, leaving the guards to their own devices is proving to take quite some time seeing as I'm grabbed more often than attacked.

Edit: Ah, "Restart Memory" decided to make a delayed appearance.

Can someone post screen of graphics options from PC version?

X6sDJ.jpg

Environment quality et al. are all at their highest respective values, by the way.

weeskwee

Banned
I got it on Steam yesterday. I didn't even touch the campaign. Multiplayer is awesome! Still a lot like Brotherhood, just more customization.

m/p AC is now the reason I get this series. Besides Tribes, this is my favorite multiplayer ever.

TheExodu5

Banned
Sadly I just sold one of my GTX 570s, so I probably won't be expecting a completely perfect 60fps this time around, but I look forward to playing it. I'm right at the end of Brotherhood.

I'll probably start with some multiplayer.

MjFrancis

My impressions, complete with redundancy from other members of this site:

Like all AC games this one looks great, even on the 360. The PC screenshots look fantastic, but even the 360 has more polish than previous iterations. The different buroughs of Istanbul/Constantinople look distinct and beautiful in their own ways. The skyboxes look better than ever, draw distances are fantastic, character animations are still pleasing and all in all it's a marginal improvement over Brotherhood, which was a great looking game to begin with. Constantinople>Venice>Rome as far as visual beauty is concerned.

The Den Defense minigame sucks. I found it fun the first time I played it and that was it. I won my first two matches, lost two because I underestimated the importance of morale (protip: open every rooftop first before you do anything else and it's gravy from there on out), and won a final match. I unlocked my side mission for beating the minigame thrice and I'm working on locking down every den so I don't have to play a tower defense minigame that's been done better in other arenas.

Which brings me to the worst change in Templar awareness for AC:R. I've always appreciated the absurdity of an assassin being in the real estate business, but tying property purchases to my wanted level adds a whole new level of zany madness that I didn't expect. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't connected to the aforementioned Den Defense, but here we are. I can't help but wonder why Ezio wasn't more distraught when Altair mused that having a base like Masyaf for the assassins was a bad idea. Didn't Ezio just spend three games buying up all of Florence, Venice, Rome and Constantinople for the assassins? Not to mention his Masyaf-clone paradise manor that toppled at the beginning of Brotherhood.

Money has been dealt with a lot better this time around. I didn't feel like Scrooge McDuck this time around, and had to actually pick and choose what I wanted to purchase and what had to wait. I bought very little armor and only a fraction of the real estate by the time I witnessed the ending credits. Zero monuments, too.

Back on the subject of money, I still hate having the button for walking fast mapped to the same button for pickpocketing. The former is very stealthy and the latter is quite ostentatious. There should have been a button for me to explain to the guards "I didn't mean to pickpocket, sir, I was trying to walk briskly through the crowd, honest!." Since that never came up the autoaim would become problematic at this point, as while attempting to run away I would be tied to a angry guard instead. This happened quite frequently (unlike my experience with previous AC games), and I don't know if it was user error or if the game just assumes a real man would stand his ground in this case.

I haven't got to the MP yet, which I had a distinct love/hate relationship with when it came out for AC:B.

But that's because I'm playing through the rest of the game, getting all the collectibles, seeing all the sights, and synching every mission before i play the MP. It's Assassin's Creed, it plays like ACII which fleshed out the tech demo that came before it but it's the same sandbox mechanics in a new locale. It may even be a teensy bit harder this time around.

Oh, and if you want to stop and smell the roses, check out A Quick Guide to "Fixing" Assassin's Creed or "Maps? We Don't Need No Stinking Maps!" guide by member Conman.

finished. my personal revelations:

1) about 90% of the reason i play these games is the 'ancient city parkour simulator' aspect - running around, soaking it all in, & unlocking everything (views/shops). i'm pretty sure, if that's actually all that the gameplay consisted of, i'd still enjoy them...

2) that said, being an assassin is fine with me, & probably an optimal choice, considering it works so well with the other part. & having the whole assassin/templar 'connection' going on in the background, to kinda tie the series together, works for me as well...

3) missions that simply require you to use your skill set to accomplish something are also okay by me...

4) what doesn't really work for, or matter to, me is a) the whole desmond meta-story, & b) any & all non-skill set related action-adventure sequences / mini-games. for me, they detract far more than they add to my enjoyment of the games, to the point of basically yanking me out of the whole experience...

final revelation: as much fun as i had with brotherhood & revelations, i would've absolutely preferred a single ac3 (with constantinople being a keeper :) ). i also would've preferred the series remaining more assassination-focused, as it was in the first 2...

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Just finished the game (unless there is a "The Truth" like hidden thing I missed). Really enjoyed it once I locked my dens (fuck you tower defense!). Stand out moments for me had to be the Altair missions, really liked finding out more about him. Its like they took the 3 Ezio games and boiled them down to 6 missions.

Don't really like Desmond and much as Ezio or Altair so I really hope they do something with him in the next game if he is the main character.

WaltJay

I just finished the main storyline last night; it took about 9 hours. When I first heard that Altair was making an appearance, my one wish was they replaced the voice actor from the first game, which they did. It bothered me to end that Altair sounded like american_dude01 and every other single character in the entire universe for the whole series had a time period and ethnically appropriate accent. It was like Kevin Costner in Robin Hood; he was the only one not trying!

My main complaint, or only real one, is the game is way too short; granted, there's plenty of side stuff, but it's mostly the same side stuff we've all done already. I still enjoy the series and what it has to offer (going after view points is STILL fun to me), but I really hope they take their time with AC3. I'm a big AC fan, but I'm okay with going one year without a new AC game. :)

KKRT00

http://i.imgur.com/X6sDJ.jpg[IMG]

Environment quality et al. are all at their highest respective values, by the way.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, strange too see multisampling after DF of console version and one shot in screenshot thread with some subpixel problems, but it was probably just bad shot :)

Still i'm curious what postAA they've used in console versions [FXAA, SMAA, MLAA or their own].

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Play all Rhodes maps in multiplayer to unlock this city.

How utterly annoying. I didn't buy the game for the MP.

I found this list via Google - anybody know if it's complete? I'm assuming I can just join a game with one of the maps, quit, join another game with a different map, etc. until I've technically played them all. If I have to hang around until the end of each map, then - much to the chagrin of my inner completionist - I won't bother.

A GameSpot Forum User said:
Rome
Venice
Castel Gandolfo
Mt St-Michel
Knights Hospital
Ippokratous
Souk
Galata
Antioch

Thanks, strange too see multisampling after DF of console version and one shot in screenshot thread with some subpixel problems, but it was probably just bad shot :)

Still i'm curious what postAA they've used in console versions [FXAA, SMAA, MLAA or their own].

No worries. :) I think a fellow GAFer is of the conclusion that the method used is SMAA.

nel e nel

So last night I fired up storymode so I could go back to the HQ library and check out all the books I had purchased ($350k for 4 books in Cappadocia? Really?!?!) and was treated to a bonus cut-scene with Sophia.

Nothing major or spoilery, just more character/relationship development. I thought it was pretty cool that they tied in an achievement with some story/character progression. It made perfect sense too since Sophia is a book-nerd.

BLU-82

Very tempted to pick this up right now on steam. I didn't finish brotherhood though, should I go back and finish that first before starting this one??

I really wanted that encyclopedia from that bundle since it was hardcover. The one in the store is paper back which is very disappointing.

Is it really? I just always assumed the it was also hardback. I'm curious to see if it's in german or english though when I open it. I know the game and instruction book are in german but I'm curious if they put in the effort to translate the encyclopedia as well.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I really wanted that encyclopedia from that bundle since it was hardcover. The one in the store is paper back which is very disappointing.

The encyclopedia is pretty awesome, real quality product.

Clevinger

Are the Desmond levels worth finishing? Do they ever change back to normal platforming, or is it that shitty block building puzzle thing the whole way through?

I've done two of them so far and they're terrible. I wouldn't mind so much if the story in them was interesting, but Desmond reminiscing about his childhood really isn't at all.

jett

D-Member
Are the Desmond levels worth finishing? Do they ever change back to normal platforming, or is it that shitty block building puzzle thing the whole way through?

I've done two of them so far and they're terrible. I wouldn't mind so much if the story in them was interesting, but Desmond reminiscing about his childhood really isn't at all.

who is he talking to anyway.

I think they're just plain bad. I liked the Desmond stuff in all the other AC games better.

ultron87

Just beat it. Ending was alright.

Does anything happen after the credits? The game froze as soon as they started for me. Presumably the Xbox couldn't handle loading that mean names at once.

REV 09

the pc version is very respectable. i played brotherhood on 360 and played the ps3 beta of Revelations, but this is a decent step up from those in the visual department. I've had a few minor bugs and 1 crash, but it's working better "out of the gate" than Skyrim or Batman did. The new color palette really goes a long way too. The game is gorgeous in spots. Yusuf seems very likeable too...i normally don't like the NPCs in AC games.

Exile550

I play on the PC. The game is a quality port for sure. Some people would be annoyed with the mouse, but I think it's fine. Much better than other Ubisoft ports. The game is GORGEOUS. The art style is amazing. It runs flawlessly maxed out at 40-45 fps on my 3 years old PC. AC is really one of my favorite game franchise.

Just beat it. Ending was alright.

Does anything happen after the credits? The game froze as soon as they started for me. Presumably the Xbox couldn't handle loading that mean names at once.

The Animus Island 'reboots' and then Desmond reappears in front of the gateway thing and you can continue playing.

ultron87

Does anyone know if the track from the final (endgame spoiler)
part where you are chasing Ahmet in the carriage
is somewhere on the soundtrack? I can't seem to find it in all the tracks I look at.

I played the MP last night for a few minutes. God damn, I love it. Will definitely put much more time into it, especially seeing more customization options.

Game is just a looker, a gorgeous one.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Meh, I wasn't following this game closely and I just played a bit last night, they've gotten their story a bit too real-world-yet-twisted this time... Killing Templars is one thing, having Templars be leftovers of the Byzantine Empire, swearing by the last late emperor, all speaking Greek, and helping these poor Turks in a recently taken over by the Ottomans Constantinople is another matter. It's the first time their disclaimer about having the game made by a multi-cultural team etc seems like a needed excuse I guess. I read that they also humiliate certain historical people... Oh well... Also, I'm not sure I like some new elements like the bomb crafting and tower defense, I hope I don't have to do the latter much... The hook blade is too weird too. They've made the actual city pretty sweet though, and the story seems to have better production values than 2 & Brotherhood. Ezio's (ugh, not again!) story that is, Desmond's parts so far are all bleh, with Sixteen or whatever that guy who probably betrays you before too long is... Also, way too many cut scene interruptions all over the place, hopefully they take a back seat as you progress in the game.

nel e nel

Does anyone know if the track from the final (endgame spoiler)
part where you are chasing Ahmet in the carriage
is somewhere on the soundtrack? I can't seem to find it in all the tracks I look at.

You might want to try listening to the tracks.

One thing to keep in mind: some of the best soundtracks don't go all over the place in terms of composition. They will have at most 2-4 major themes that get repeated in different arrangements and using different instrumentation. Jesper Kyd did a great job with this.

So while none of the tracks may be labeled "Ezio's First Parasail" one of them on there will be the 'chase theme' and will be close enough.

Jhoan

I beat the game last weekend (3 days after I got it!) , but I'm not going to get into super spoiler territory; I'll save those for the spoilers thread.

General thoughts on the game:

-The hookblade was cool, though not a substantial upgrade to the gameplay; the ziplines weren't really necessary.
-I absolutely loved the memory disk tombs in this game. But then again, I loved the Assassin's Tombs and the Romulus Lairs in ACII and AssBro. I think the tombs in this game were a lot better than AssBro's Romulus Lairs. The tombs showcases Assassin's Creed's best gameplay.
-I didn't like the Den Defense game all that much like most of you. However, I thought it was o.k., but I for the most part I intentionally avoided it. It's cool that you can help out by shooting enemies, but it feels more like an afterthought than anything, so playing it feels like a chore.
-Bribing heralds after getting %75 notoriety from buying properties and clearing out dens was a pain in the ass and I absolutely hated it. Please don't come back in the next game.
-The achievements (yes, I play the game for achievements as well as the story) in this game are substantially more easier to get. Especially the MP ones. Otherwise, fun achievements (Mosh Pit, and Show Off).
-I hate Desmond's character model upgrade in this game.
-Desmond's levels weren't that bad; definitely doable and forgiving with the checkpoints. In one of the reviews that I read, the reviewer said they were frustrating. I thought it wasn't frustrating at all. His backstory was cool.
-I hate the small MP maps in this game. I don't know why the maps in this game are so small. For instance, after playing one of the MP maps that's also in AssBro, I realized that I miss AssBro's massive maps. Please bring back AssBro's big MP maps in future DLC or open the maps up in an update.
-I love how much smoother the match making system in this game is. At the same time, I hate the fact that you have to vote for the mode that you want to play next instead of pick a mode ala AssBro (you were right JadedOldGamer) I want that choice back.
-The new engine's good, Constantinople felt a lot smaller than Rome, but I loved the color palette and the gorgeous vistas. On that note,
Cappadoccia was interesting but, underwhelming; would have loved to have spent more time in there because as a level, I thought it didn't work that well. But as a second city, it would have been great.
-The bomb making system is a little too much to handle, but I liked it even if I didn't have a use for every type of bomb. I mostly stuck to using the same 2 types of bombs for each category unless it was required as an achievement (Mouse Trap; caltrops are useless otherwise)
-The combat's the same as AssBro's with a few small (optional) wrinkles.
-The hookblade vault over enemies move was useless outside the mission that required ita and doing the faction challenge.
-The controls are still slightly unresponsive in that you can't get the character to do exactly what you want.
-The Assassin's Guild stuff is the same as AssBro's.
-The beginning was slow as molasses; latter half was o.k. I hated
Yusuf's abrupt death; thought he was a good character.
-Altair's missions were cool.
-I'm looking forward to the next game.

TL;DR: Thoughts on AssRev after beating it.

I just have a a question: How do you steal from enemies using the Hookblade? I know you have to grab them and hold a button, but I just dunno which one. Gotta jump back into some MP.

ymmv

Banned
I received the PC version of AC:R from Simply Games today. During the installation of the game I got a critical error and I had to cancel the setup. It turns out the game won't install because the file data5.cab is unreadable. It's a brand new game and the disc has never been used but there's a tiny smudge or scratch on the game disc that is probably the culprit.

So what do I do? I've got the online keycode. Can I download a copy of the game from the depths of the internet, copy the file I need from the ISO to the HD, click setup and then use the online keycode to activate the downloaded copy anyway? Or is the DVD copy protected and is the online key just to use online features of the game. In that case I have no other option than to return the game to Simply Games and wait for a working copy.

Irish

General thoughts on the game:

-The hookblade was cool, though not a substantial upgrade to the gameplay; the ziplines weren't really necessary.
-caltrops are useless otherwise
-The hookblade vault over enemies move was useless outside the mission that required ita and doing the faction challenge.
-The controls are still slightly unresponsive in that you can't get the character to do exactly what you want.

Caltrops were one of my most used bombs. Crazy how different playstyles can work out. I was also using the hookblade constantly, be it to jump up buildings or over people. Tripping and throwing dudes with it was also a lot of fun.

I just have a a question: How do you steal from enemies using the Hookblade? I know you have to grab them and hold a button, but I just dunno which one. Gotta jump back into some MP.

Counter during combat, but hit Y/Triangle instead of X/Square (while holding RB (?)/ R1 down).

Top Bottom