• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Revelations |OT| Requiescat in Pace (56k)

Tawpgun

Just a heads up for anyone who missed them, but the Desmond hoodies are available again over at ubiworkshop.

Kyd has such a way with the city themes. Knocks them out of the park every time.

I want one so bad, but I have a bad experience of buying clothing online. I either get Large and its a perfect fit or too small. Or I get XL where its a good fit or too big.

The AC Shirt I bought from them was a Large, and it was made for someone much taller than me and very slender...

rataven

Couple of my favourite songs from the game aren't even on the OST.

The Maiden's Tower(marvelous atmosphere) and Defending The Den 2 (tower defense music)
Yeah, they left out some good stuff. I love the tune that plays when Ezio discovers a book, but it's nowhere to be found on the OST.

I want one so bad, but I have a bad experience of buying clothing online. I either get Large and its a perfect fit or too small. Or I get XL where its a good fit or too big.

The AC Shirt I bought from them was a Large, and it was made for someone much taller than me and very slender...
Their sizing runs long and narrow for the sweatshirts too. Check out the size chart; I found that helped a ton in narrowing it down.
That bag is awesome. Just got mine last week. Great quality, and I'm nuts for the Ottoman Crest logo.

Tawpgun

Hmm... Desmond Hoodie with Eagle and Reversible cost the same...

Unsure which one I'd like better. Leaning toward just the reversible.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I was watching my roommate play through Revelations, curious if I should pick up the game myself at some point. I found the ending...really underwhelming. Moreso than Brotherhood. What's the general concensus on the ending?

Also, has it been confirmed we're getting AC3 next? I'm tired of these half steps, and I can't imagine what part of Ezio or Altair's stories are left to tell.

but your posts need to be very, very good, they cant just be one liners like "nice" etc

Maybe we should be telling more gaffers about this.

iNvid02

amenamazing will be my protégé

KuGsj.gif

Amir0x

Banned
The next AC game - Assassin's Creed 3, iirc - is apparently going to use a heavily modified engine (for transition to next-gen use) and will no longer feature Ezio or Altair. And will be a different time altogether.

We have strong hints about what the next location will be, but nothing definitive.

Davedough

Sorry if this has been asked before, this is a large thread and I'm usually on OT.

I have the PS3 version and am currently in Sequence 5. I tried to go do the 2nd of Desmond's Journeys. I completed the first one in Sequence 3. Every single time I try to enter the monolith, the screen goes to the standard AC:R loading screen where it looks like the animus loading, then the screen goes black after about 30 seconds and my PS3 locks up. I have to turn it off manually to get back into the game. Everything else in the game seems to run just fine.

Has anyone else had this problem or know of a way around it?

rataven

I was watching my roommate play through Revelations, curious if I should pick up the game myself at some point. I found the ending...really underwhelming. Moreso than Brotherhood. What's the general concensus on the ending?
What part did you find underwhelming? The stuff with Desmond was a little weak, admittedly. But I really loved the ending for Altair/Ezio. Like, best-endings-of-all-time kind of ending. Though I do wish Ezio's conclusion had played out a bit differently. It's unfortunate that you'd have to watch Embers to really see the resolution to his story. Should have been at the end of Rev.

But Sequence 9 was brilliant!
Playing as an aged Altair, walking through his library and extinguishing the torches, preparing to pass on a secret before death, then switching to Ezio hundreds of years later as he re-illuminates the long dark library, only to discover the true contents therein. Our two assassins face-to-face, at last.
Chills. I will never forget that moment.

Lesiroth

Holy shit I was looking for that Istanbul track everywhere :D
The city tracks in this game have to be one of the best things I've ever heard.

Irish

You know, I really wonder what type of main character they are going to introduce in the next game and how exactly his/her story will play out. Will it be a younger or older character? An assassin in training or at mentor/master level already?

Inversive

If i liked Ass 2 but thought brotherhood was getting a little stale would i enjoy this? I want to see how Ezios story ends and get answers, but i don't want to play something that feels too samey to the previous two games.

Amir0x

Banned
If i liked Ass 2 but thought brotherhood was getting a little stale would i enjoy this? I want to see how Ezios story ends and get answers, but i don't want to play something that feels too samey to the previous two games.

Revelations is far worse than Brotherhood, so there's no way if you found Brotherhood "stale" that you would suddenly like this. At least, I must think the probability is next to zero.

Roto13

It's pretty samey. I was pretty bored with Brotherhood but I enjoyed Revelations a bit more. I think Constantinople is a more interesting city than Rome. :p

Inversive

Revelations is far worse than Brotherhood, so there's no way if you found Brotherhood "stale" that you would suddenly like this. At least, I must think the probability is next to zero.

I didn't think Brotherhood was a bad game at all, only that the core gameplay was very much identicle to 2's. AC2 took me a long time to complete and see everything possible in the game, so when Brotherhood rolled around it just didn't feel new enough to me. I think i might just wiki what happens to Ezio and wait patiently for AC3!

It's pretty samey. I was pretty bored with Brotherhood but I enjoyed Revelations a bit more. I think Constantinople is a more interesting city than Rome. :p
What did you enjoy more about Revelations? Brotherhood was a fun game at first but i had to force myself to complete it, i've got serious AC fatigue now i think. I quite liked Rome as a city, i'm interested in Roman culture so it appealed to me :p

Amir0x

Banned
I didn't think Brotherhood was a bad game at all, only that the core gameplay was very much identicle to 2's. AC2 took me a long time to complete and see everything possible in the game, so when Brotherhood rolled around it just didn't feel new enough to me. I think i might just wiki what happens to Ezio and wait patiently for AC3!

Well in gameplay terms, the new factors of Revelations are the worst tower defense mini-game of all time (and the most irritatingly implemented as well) and the hook which actually is badass. The hook would obviously be a player in future, far superior AC titles. Other than that, plays pretty similarly to Brotherhood and II.

Gregorn

Revelations will be really cheap by summer time, pick it up then when you've got nothing else to play and you should feel satisfied.

Riposte

I've never had to do deal with the tower defense stuff. On the other hand I ended up quitting this game early because they are long and are still not very challenging even after four games. I want to say the mechanics improved in Revelations enough to be better, but I don't remember many great missions. To be fair the Leonardo DLC and Leonardo missions in general has a bunch of instant-fail stealth missions which made me like Brotherhood. Speaking of which is the Tower Defense is really worse than the vehicle sections?

Constantinople > Rome though.

Roto13

What did you enjoy more about Revelations? Brotherhood was a fun game at first but i had to force myself to complete it, i've got serious AC fatigue now i think. I quite liked Rome as a city, i'm interested in Roman culture so it appealed to me :p

Rome was still just Italy which I'd had my fill of from AC2. A lot of the game world in Brotherhood was also the area outside of the city proper, which I really didn't like. Constantinople is all city. I also found the dungeon areas more fun in Revelations.

The only things that are actually new are the hook blade, the tower defense minigame, and the bombs. The hook blade is great and you'll wonder how you ever played Assassin's Creed without them. You might have to force yourself to use the bombs, just because you'll be used to playing without them. There's a bunch of different types that kind of vary in usefulness. :p The tower defense game is pretty shitty, but I kind of hate tower defense in general. Luckily, if you keep an eye on your notoriety, you only really have to do it once ever.

The controls are also slightly improved. Freerunning is just a bit more streamlined. Aside from the hookblade, there's not really anything new about the freerunning mechanics, they're just a bit more polished and fine tuned so you'll make fewer mistakes. (I didn't notice until I went back and tried playing a previous game again. :p) The controls are different now, too. You activate eagle vision with L3 and keep a secondary (long range) weapon assigned to the triangle button, which is cool. No need to constantly switch weapons when switching between short and long range combat.

If you're already sick of the series, this probably won't feel all that fresh, but the difference between Revelations and Brotherhood is greater than the difference between Brotherhood and 2.

eshwaaz

Finally cracked this open last night; played only about an hour or so. In some ways, it's good to be back, but in other ways it just feels too familiar. I haven't hit the den defense parts yet, but I've never liked tower defense in any form so I don't have high hopes.

I am wondering how AC 3 will feel after playing as Ezio for three games now. They've given him more and more moves with each installment, making you feel like an unstoppable badass. If you start AC 3 as a character just learning the ropes of being an assassin, he may end up feeling weak and crippled by comparison.

I thought ACR had unquestionably the best soundtrack so far. Some of the tracks near the end were phenomenal. "Chase the Target" has an incredible moment in it for example.

Inversive

Thanks for the replies guys, I think i'll pick it up on the cheap. I'm eager to try the hook, it sounds cool :p

I wonder which direction they'll take the series. Desmond is a really bland character imo, can't see it being a full game of him. Plus most of the appeal of these games is batmanning around ancient cities being a badass. I hope Ubi don't fuck it up :/

bubnbob

Banned
Thanks for the replies guys, I think i'll pick it up on the cheap. I'm eager to try the hook, it sounds cool :p

I wonder which direction they'll take the series. Desmond is a really bland character imo, can't see it being a full game of him. Plus most of the appeal of these games is batmanning around ancient cities being a badass. I hope Ubi don't fuck it up :/

If they can turn an awesome idea like Subject Sixteen into a bumbling retard, I'm sure they can magically turn a bumbling retard into an... oh

Amir0x

Banned
If they can turn an awesome idea like Subject Sixteen into a bumbling retard, I'm sure they can magically turn a bumbling retard into an... oh

i was reading Game Informer and they said we won't see a return of Subject 16 esque puzzles because obviously his part in the story is over.

That shit was a really rad incentive for exploring the world. They need to find a new way to implement exploration incentives of that calibre.

Desmond's story in Revelations was fuck awful

Inversive

I actually enjoyed the puzzles, they were pretty neat. Some of them were pretty well hidden too :/
What was the popular opinion on the puzzles, love/hate?

edit: I'm assuming they are the same puzzles as the AC2&Brotherhood ones.

Pimpbaa

I'm late to the party on this game. It's ok, and the increased detail in the textures is amazing (on the pc version), but the faces my god the faces. Why did they do that? It's the last AC with Ezio, they should have kept the faces the same. It makes no sense. Makes even less sense that they made them so ugly. Why didn't anyone speak up about this during development? Surely no one could possibly think what they were doing would better the game.

Irish

I'm late to the party on this game. It's ok, and the increased detail in the textures is amazing (on the pc version), but the faces my god the faces. Why did they do that? It's the last AC with Ezio, they should have kept the faces the same. It makes no sense. Makes even less sense that they made them so ugly. Why didn't anyone speak up about this during development? Surely no one could possibly think what they were doing would better the game.

What...? The faces are so much better. Hated the look of 2 and Brohood.

Roto13

I actually enjoyed the puzzles, they were pretty neat. Some of them were pretty well hidden too :/
What was the popular opinion on the puzzles, love/hate?

edit: I'm assuming they are the same puzzles as the AC2&Brotherhood ones.

There are none of those Subject 16 puzzles in Revelations. Instead we get some weird first person platforming thing with Desmond narrating and recalling his boring-ass life.

rataven

They're not really horrible per se, but yea, it's jarring coming from Brotherhood to Rev and having the characters look entirely different. Ezio will grow on you over the course of the game. But Desmond is a downgrade of the highest order. I honestly can't see the Desmond from Rev carrying a full-length game on his own. The dude has no chutzpa.

Finally cracked this open last night; played only about an hour or so. In some ways, it's good to be back, but in other ways it just feels too familiar. I haven't hit the den defense parts yet, but I've never liked tower defense in any form so I don't have high hopes.

I am wondering how AC 3 will feel after playing as Ezio for three games now. They've given him more and more moves with each installment, making you feel like an unstoppable badass. If you start AC 3 as a character just learning the ropes of being an assassin, he may end up feeling weak and crippled by comparison.

Don't worry about the den defense. You only really have to do the first one, but you can avoid ever having to do it again pretty easily.

ACIII is going to be tricky to make, I think. I've always wanted these games to be based fully in historical settings, without the animus stuff. But that's just me. It would be pretty difficult for me to get into a game that revolved solely around Desmond.

You're also right in that starting over might feel kind of lame, unless the way you developed from square one was drastically different. That's one reason I think a big change in setting, and maybe time period, would do the series some good. Feudal Japan maybe? The Assassins could be Ninjas.

ACIII's opening cinematic: Desmond simply explodes, fade up and there's a new guy in the animus, with new ancestors.

eshwaaz

They're not really horrible per se, but yea, it's jarring coming from Brotherhood to Rev and having the characters look entirely different. Ezio will grow on you over the course of the game. But Desmond is a downgrade of the highest order. I honestly can't see the Desmond from Rev carrying a full-length game on his own. The dude has no chutzpa.
I'm only about an hour in, and Ezio's appearance is really off-putting. It's not just that he looks different, it's that he looks almost simian with his underbite and mouth that's way too far from his nose. By contrast, Yusuf's face looks very natural and well-modeled, making Ezio look even weirder by comparison.

rataven

I'm only about an hour in, and Ezio's appearance is really off-putting. It's not just that he looks different, it's that he looks almost simian with his underbite and mouth that's way too far from his nose. By contrast, Yusuf's face looks very natural and well-modeled, making Ezio look even weirder by comparison.
Ezio does look a little overcooked. Pinched and pulled a few too many times and he ended up with pronounced facial features (and his eyes freak me the fuck out). But I guess I was able to pass it off with the 'he's just older!' thought.

Yusuf's model might be the best in the series though. It's really weird.

Regarding the OST. As fantastic as as Jesper Kyd is, especially with his score for AC:R, I definitely think Lorne Balfe had a good effect on the soundtrack. Overall it felt more grand, more, and I hate to say it, but more "epic". Not to say the previous soundtracks didn't, but he seemed to bring some interesting flavours to the mix, and obviously it worked out well in the end. Lorne has done work on the Pirates of the Caribbean films, Inception, The Dark Knight, MW2 etc...So he's got skills (lol).

I really hope he returns for the next AC.

I think the subject 16
"closure"
as described in the latest game informer is a missed opportunity and shows ubisoft is just sort of making it up as they go along. The guy has been in 3 games and has revealed major clues in the overall story. I was sure
he would be tied to have some kind of importance in relation to the overall story, instead he is just a nobody.

Count me in the camp of those who think this OST is the best (with AC2's OST a close second). Very impressive how Kyd can keep writing music which is very much in harmony with past OST, but create new great songs for every OST.

Just as an example, the wounded eagle is great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OExBnAVk3ho

As for the game, I think it's objectively better than brotherhood, but is so similar to it that it feels staler. I am repeating myself, but I am still irked by the fact that Ezio is such a killing machine (though the janissaries can put up a bit of a fight.... as long as you don't have a killall order available). Sure, he is supposed to be a badass, but at this point I have a hard time believing he can be threatened by anyone. More importantly, i would like to feel a tiny bit of tension during fights, instead of organizing butcheries across the city. There is literally no point in assassins being stealthy when i feel i could walk to the templar in chief and his army and get rid of everyone once and for all. Ironically, assassins are anything but stealthy in the game, flashing their outfits and beautifully decorated brotherhood centers, when the templars - in this game at least - spend time hiding and running away. In the same vein, I love how Ezio comments in some master assassin mission it's always a little hard competing with templars on the subject of money. Ah, really, Ezio? Excuse me, I forgot you were collecting taxes from about _every shop_ in Rome and Constantinople, on top of owning pretty much any major building in both of those cities. He also keeps a long list of major paintings and books for himself, in his private house. Very democratic.

Can't wait for AC3 reveal that assassins are in fact the bad guy and evolved into the mafia or something.

The ending of this game
bar that encounter with Zeus, which they should have kept for AC3, and the horrible CG which came with it
was pretty good. Also, like many others, the day Desmond becomes the main hero is the day i stop caring.

Just finished this last night - easily my favorite in the series.

For me, it goes like this ACR >>>> ACB >>>> AC2 >>>> AC1. Each game has really outdone the previous (which has surprised me, because based on reviews, I always go into the games expecting to be disappointed).

I thought the narrative of this game (Ezio's story) was easily the tightest, most cohesive of the series. I've always found the AC stories to be schizophrenic and disjointed - but Revelations was a solid, engaging thread. Well done. The pacing was so much better than previous games.

And excellent ending - one of my favorite game endings ever, I was really moved. I've always seen Ezio as a wasted opportunity (solid character, but the stories have always been all over the place). But here they nailed the build up, and the ending was really satisfying.

It wasn't perfect - the Altair sections were a little forced (though the ending was completely awesome), the tower defense stuff seemed wildly out of place (though I only did the first one), and the city (though gorgeous) was pretty lifeless (you essentially deal with 3 or 4 characters throughout the whole game). That said, it was a compelling experience that I really enjoyed.

I do think there are some things that need to change for future games:

1) The controls. The whole control system is just overly convoluted. Why am I holding Right Trigger all of the time? I think that a change to something more like the Prince of Persia control scheme would go a long way. The free-running stuff is cool, but I still find it difficult to do some of the (totally awesome, btw) indoor missions (finding the artifacts, etc). I haven't really thought this through (there must be some reason why they use this scheme), but there were a number of times in Revelations where I couldn't help but notice the crazy complicated controls.
2) Overpowered Ezio. It really has gotten out of hand with Ezio's fighting abilities - other posters have said the same thing, and I agree wholeheartedly. I could literally kill every bad guy in the city, and that makes a lot of the story elements seem contrived.
3) Simplify everything. I feel like AC3 will be a good opportunity for Ubisoft to really go back to the drawing board for a lot of the game mechanics. There's just so much... stuff in AC:B and AC:R that they feel a little unfocused.

Bring on AC3!

kylej

Banned
Really, no extra for collecting all 100 data fragments? Was hoping for another "The miracle is in the execution" type thing.

Still really enjoyed the game though. Something about AC grabs me. Looking forward to III.

iNvid02

new dlc out today
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6xpMxrVwerg

would love to play siena again, but im not paying £7.99 for it

All-new multiplayer maps to maneuver through: Jerusalem, Constantinople and Dyers
Fan-favorite Brotherhood to revisit: Firenze (Florence), San Donato and Siena
All-new Trophies and Achievements to earn[

The Mediterranean Traveler Map Pack is available for download at a price of 800 Microsoft Points on Xbox LIVE ® Marketplace for Xbox 360 and £7.99 on PlayStation ®Network and Windows PC.

Top Bottom