• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Revelations |OT| Requiescat in Pace (56k)

Roto13

They kind of had to change Altair's voice, I think. It was dumb enough in AC1 when everyone had an accent but him. Then from II on, everyone, including the new main character, had an accent. It would be even more awkward if Altair didn't. :p

unomas

Banned
Finished the game yesterday.

Initially, it didn't caught on to me. Don't know, maybe I enjoyed Brotherhood too much and Revelations came too fast but I could not get myself to play it (I got it day one, like all AC games so far...).

After that inital repulsion, I finally started playing it and it was a very enjoyable experience.
I even got to like (and use) those bombs.
Tower defense remained a hated part of the game. Lucikly, I only had two of those situations as I managed to avoid them.

Story wise...
I really enjoyed Demond's and Altair's parts. Desmon's backstory was cool. The actual ending of the game was kinda "meh" for me, but I guess it set the stage for AC III so we'll see where's that going...

Overall, an enjoyable experience, but less so than Brotherhood and ACII. :/

Also, I hated the fact that they
changed Desmond's and Altair's face (and Altair's Voice). Ezio I get (he's much older than in AC:B). That really bugged me. Especially Altair's voice. I know, AC1 Altair had no accent at all, but this voice is...uncanny valley territory I guess. xD

Same here, got if for Christmas and literally just started it today, I'm about 1/3 of the way through from the looks of it, and while I was very reluctant to play it as it's come out every damn year for the last 4 I am enjoying it. Bomb making seems out of place and annoying at the moment, and I'm dreading tower defense if I even have to take part in it. However, despite this I'm still enjoying the world, characters, and experience so far. Hopefully they stop releasing these yearly so they don't kill this thing.

DarkFlow

Banned
Just beat this about 5 mins ago. It kinda felt like dlc to brotherhood to me. I felt no need to buy all the shops like before or be invested in the city really. Also did not like how they handled the best armor and weapons. I had them all by sequence 4 before I had even finished my 2nd set.

The ending was also meh, hopefully 3 does a lot better with the whole story. Ezio's end was cool, the rest not so much.

iNvid02

Just beat this about 5 mins ago. It kinda felt like dlc to brotherhood to me. I felt no need to buy all the shops like before or be invested in the city really. Also did not like how they handled the best armor and weapons. I had them all by sequence 4 before I had even finished my 2nd set.

The ending was also meh, hopefully 3 does a lot better with the whole story. Ezio's end was cool, the rest not so much.

come on, altair's ending was pretty cool, i know it evoked some emotion from people who thought they didnt even care for altair, myself included.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hahahaha. Oh wow. So apparently my set abilities have relocked and Ubisoft wants me to repurchase them despite my level being 21 and still there.

And I'm not the only person that has had this happen to them, according to the Uplay forums for PS3.

Fuck you, Ubisoft. I was going to play the multiplayer for longer, but if you don't regive my my sets and I have to repurchase them (and according to forum posters have this happen again) then what the fuck is the point in playing.

Good thing there is still singleplayer stuff in Brotherhood and Revelations for me to do.

Risgroo

Just finished this, and suprisingly, I loved it. I didn't expect that based on what I'd heard beforehand, but for me, this is up there with AC2. Only parts I didn't like were the Desmond levels, which were boring to play, even if they gave some details on his past. Best parts were the Altaïr bits.
Now, I'll clean up some trophies before i hop online, is it possible to earn all the trophies there with the 3-day trial pass?

Nelo Ice

Banned
Thinking about picking up the 360 version since I can get for $20 this week from Best Buy but hows the multi on PC? Only reason I'd get the 360 version since I actually enjoyed AC:B multi before my profile was reset. If PC multi is still doing well then I'll just wait for a sale on steam or elsewhere for it.

TheSeks

Profile unlocked again. I dunno what is up, but Ubisoft seemed to get my rage. Did a few rounds of Manhunt, was still enjoyable. Not having your ability sets due to this glitch is fucking stupid and game ruining.

Also charging for maps when you didn't last go-around is a dick move, Ubisoft.

iNvid02

Assassin's Creed: Revelations DLC named, priced, dated by GameStop

GameStop lists the Lost Archive DLC with a release date of February 28 for $15 on Xbox 360 and PS3. It appears to be a single-player campaign installment, based on its 10 Xbox 360 achievements.

gamestop.png

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I hope it's some meaty campaign content if it's 15$. Like I want more stuff with Sofia and a couple more lairs/temples/dungeons or whatever you wanna call them to explore.

TheSeks

Please tell me Revelations doesn't have Leo's flying machine in it. Please.

Stupid full sync requirement for it in Brotherhood is pissing me off because I keep dive bombing the thing while trying to set things on fire.

rataven

Hmm, that's quite a price for single player DLC. Would like to see it continue Ezio's story after the events of Rev proper. There's a lot there between Rev's end and Embers that fans should be able to experience.

TheSeks

Patch for the content went up a few hours ago. The achievement list shows like 6-10 new achievements. Seems the people saying it was singleplayer was right and it seems to be a virtual simulation thing like the Mirror's Edge DLC was a "dream world" map thing. It's tied to Abstergo so YMMV if you're expecting huge story resolutions.

Also how the fuck do you fight off 4 people in Manhunt with small ass smoke bombs. SMH. Or the game thinks I'm killing a civilian DESPITE A LOCK and being two feet away from the person I was going to stab with no obstructions other than that civilian all of a sudden getting in the way of my kill animation. :|

cameron

Completed it last night.

What I liked:
-The secret book locations. Even though the platforming is very basic and the paths are straight forward, the way you move in and around the level was interesting. It's reminiscent to a Prince of Persia or Tomb Raider style of level design.
-The hook blade. It was an okay addition to the platforming and I was easily amused by the hook and throw/run maneuver.
-The guild and other challenges. The majority were fun to complete.
-The Bombs. It felt tacked on at first, but later proved to be useful when trying to stealth through areas.
-The soundtrack.
-The climbing in general. This carried over from ACB, but I like the fact that most of the view points aren't a straight vertical climb. You had stop and look around for hand holds or ledges.

What I didn't care for and nitpicks:
-Most of the main story missions. I'm not sure what I wanted out of these missions, but they were just so uninteresting both story and gameplay wise. I was more entertained with the secondary stuff, like the book levels or challenges.

-Desmond levels. These seemed like wasted potential as they could've been more "puzzle-ly".

-Optional objectives for 100% sync. These were severely nerfed compared to ACB to the point where you don't even have to try. It's almost a given.

-Character faces. The tech, like polycount/textures/shaders, are much better than before, but everyone just looks so homely. It's a bit distracting.

-Collision and haystack issues. I fell into the world a dozen or so times while running on the rooftops. The auto-jump-into-haystack feature seems to be more annoying than before and has screwed up so many chases. The size of the area to trigger the auto jump is probably larger than necessary. These issues seem more apparent in ACR compared to previous games.

-Overuse of forced eagle vision. Having eagle vision as an optional gameplay assist is fine (i.e. to reveal the path of a guard because you can't be bothered to wait and see). In ACR it just felt like lazy game design (i.e. use eagle vision to find the pickpocket or door or whatever).

-Den Tower Defense.

-Super brief "gameplay" moments between cutscenes. Way too often there are cutscenes that end with you having to walk for a few metres or interact with something only to trigger another cutscene. Who is this for? What's the point? The only moment that this sort of worked was with Altair at the end. Everything else was just silly.

-Load times. Skipping cutscenes has load times too, which is kinda funny.

Overall, ACR was not bad. I felt better after AC2 and ACB, though.

Nori Chan

DLC came out today.

Honestly, so far, it's been a waste of money. It's basically all of Desmond's missions in this game...so far...

okay nvm the hacked audio is confirmed to be
true
and if you don't know what that is then don't bother it's a spoiler

voodooray

DLC came out today.

Honestly, so far, it's been a waste of money. It's basically all of Desmond's missions in this game...so far...

okay nvm the hacked audio is confirmed to be
true
and if you don't know what that is then don't bother it's a spoiler

So this is just more of those awkward platforming sections when playing as Desmond? Would have preferred some more dungeon maps like the Vlad level (which it also seems to contain/unlock).

TheSeks

Beat Brotherhood. Those bastards killed Lucy and we have no clue what the hell "they" meant so far. Started up Revelations. That cold opening and "corrupted" legal mumbo-jumbo lets you know you're in for a darker take on the series.

Which, from the first "memory sequence" is a-okay with me. I like the fact that they gave Ezio (and Alitar I guess) more killing animations. Like you stab a sword in someones head and Ezio turns around leaving it there, then grabs it from behind him as he faces a new enemy. Brutal. The GUI is a bit too "square" for my taste but it's much cleaner and the image quality on PS3 is a huge leap up from AC2 and Brotherhood that it's amazing this was done in a yearly release. If this is the image quality (less blurry/"Vaseline" AA filter) for AC3 I'll be content.

The hookblade seems kinda awkward but it makes for some neat traversal additions. Also the opening was an FMV which was a weird change from the normally all in-game-engine cut-scenes the series has done before.

(Don't spoil me, you bastards! >_<)

Also, Ezio and Alitar and Desmond's face have apparently changed, but outside of a (less noticeable) scar on their lips/face, I don't really see anything huge. And reddit was bitching about this being a DS or 3DS title before being an HD title? Is that true? I really didn't follow the development of this outing since I was one game behind in the series but the PSN maintenance caught me up.

Also is the Da Vinci Disappearance in Brotherhood worth getting?

Scapegoat

So this is just more of those awkward platforming sections when playing as Desmond? Would have preferred some more dungeon maps like the Vlad level (which it also seems to contain/unlock).
I've just finished the Lost Archive DLC. Though it is more of the first person platforming and box creating gameplay from the Desmond Memories in Revelations... it's more refined in both it's difficulty and pace IMO.

Basically it never gets too tedious or overly annoying/frustrating. I found there was only 1 or 2 segments where I just sort of spammed my way through, whereas all the other areas where designed in ways in which I actually took care to know the patterns and fineness my way through.

I'm still kind of confused as to the reveal of the reason for Lucy's death. Less on the actual "revelation" of the reveal, more on why they held back for so long, only choosing to put it out there now.
So what was heavily hinted at in the Brotherhood meeting with Subject 16 once you completed all the Glyphs was true. He says "she is not who you think she is", referring to Lucy, and I guess the red footprints outside of the Villa was correctly coloured? Kinda confusing as I thought we had be told that was an accident. But it does not explain why Lucy turns up as friendly in Eaglevision elsewhere.

Anyway my problem with this reveal is that it just seems so arbitary. Why be really coy about it only to say "yip that's how it is" in a DLC. Why wouldn't Juno explain
that she was not to be trusted straightup?
. Why was it not the main game, titled "Revelations"? Sure was more revelatory IMO than the ending of main game.

Bebpo

Banned
WHY IS THIS GAME SO TEDIOUS!?!?

I'm enjoying the game, but whoever thought that your notoriety should go up when you buy property IS A HORRIBLE PERSON. Having to go lower your notoriety with several actions every couple of properties you buy makes the property buying take FOREVER. It feels incredibly tedious. I think I spent like 3 hours playing tonight and I got almost nothing accomplished because it just took most of the time to buy all the damn properties.

Also, what's the point of the Master Assassin missions since you still need them to gain another 5 levels AFTER that to keep your den from getting taken over. Any reason not to just level them to lvl.15 first and then do the master assassin mission instead of doing it at level 10?

ajf009

Actually just got around to starting this game last night, (too much sky rim, nab, & cod haha) and I gotta say it is absolutely gorgeous! really looks beautiful, and I like the tower defense style game so far.. I can see it getting pretty challenging though

TheSeks

Was gonna buy this for $30 off of Amazon

Does it still include AC1 on PS3 or was that just the first print run or somethin?

thanks

Was only the first print run and honestly you aren't missing anything missing out on AC1. It's rehashed in the opening of two and explored further in Revelations.

Forkball

Actually just got around to starting this game last night, (too much sky rim, nab, & cod haha) and I gotta say it is absolutely gorgeous! really looks beautiful, and I like the tower defense style game so far.. I can see it getting pretty challenging though

I only played it once the entire game. It's not an obligation unless you alert a lot of Templar attention.

Speaking of that, I hated how heralds were the only way to lower your alert rating. Why would they take out the posters and officer assassinations?

Bebpo

Banned
I only played it once the entire game. It's not an obligation unless you alert a lot of Templar attention.

Speaking of that, I hated how heralds were the only way to lower your alert rating. Why would they take out the posters and officer assassinations?

Which is easy to do since every shop you buy ups it by 25% :\ Buy 4 shops in a row and you're screwed. So stupid. It's the opposite of fun. Why would you do this!

That combined with getting rid of the posters (officer assassinations are still in, they appear at random), makes it a pain in the ass.

I've only done Den Defense once so far (~10 hours in) during the tutorial. But that's because I've spent a ton of time tediously keeping my alert level down while buying up all the shops.

rataven

Those are still in. Though they only appear once your noterity passes 50%. And oddly, they're kind of fun to assassinate. Poison darts FTW.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Since the Brotherhood OT is quieter than this one I'll just say it here: I just discovered the song "Apple Chamber" after grabbing the Brohood OST from Amazon and hollllllyyyyyy shit that song is amazing. I don't know how I missed it in the game, but goddamn it is pure Blade Runner/Vangellis goodness.

I'm thinking of picking up The Lost Archive. Is it worth 10 bucks?

No. I enjoyed it, but it doesn't feel meaty enough to warrant 10$.

Bebpo

Banned
I never tried the MP in Brotherhood but I heard AC has good MP modes. Any reason I shouldn't mess around with AC Rev MP after finishing up the SP and play Brotherhood MP instead? Or is Rev the better MP game? And do people still play it on PC?

I'm enjoying the SP, almost done finishing up all the 2ndary stuff first at around 15 hours in now, haven't really started the main story missions at all. I really like all the missions in this game, whether side-missions or main missions. But I hate all the collect-a-thon crap in this one. Took me so many hours to buy all the properties and keep my noteriety down :(

I love stuff like the Galata Tower underground. Very fun platforming. Liked it better than the old tombs with timed levers and stuff.

Also the landmark benefit sucks. You pay like 60,000 currency to buy a landmark and it ups your every-20-mins by like 500. You know how many hours you'd need to play to start seeing profit on that? Geez. And there's a ton of landmarks and everything is so expensive. In AC2 and AC:B I was able to buy all the properties, including landmarks within the normal course and scope of the game, but to buy all the properties in this one I'm having to leave the game sitting while I'm out so I can rack up 100,000+ at a time just to buy all the landmarks.

TheSeks

Play both multiplayer (but only if you have the Uplay pass/online pass) just to see how much Revelations improved on Brotherhood. Seriously.

Bebpo

Banned
Whichever team did the masaf key locations did a nice job even if the gameplay is the equivalent of sonic the hedgehog hold forward and keep running/auto-platforming. The locations visually are a lot more interesting than the rest of the game since the city is reaaaally bland.

Just finished up all the sidestuff (fragments/treasures/faction/bomb/master assassin, etc...) at around 20 hours in now (but saving all the desmond FPS sequences until I finish the game because the first one was pretty boring). Can't wait to focus on the main storyline now, I've really enjoyed all the mainline quests so far (in sequence 4 or 5).

Bebpo

Banned
Just finished this and ummm, I can't go back and play my old game save anymore? I did everything but the desmond FPS sections as I figured I'd do them after I beat the game. But whenever I load my story save it...starts the credit roll.

Am I gonna need to youtube the FPS parts since I'm locked out of playing them now?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just finished this and ummm, I can't go back and play my old game save anymore? I did everything but the desmond FPS sections as I figured I'd do them after I beat the game. But whenever I load my story save it...starts the credit roll.

Am I gonna need to youtube the FPS parts since I'm locked out of playing them now?

Nah, you can play them after the credits. Just let the credits run while you eat or something because they are like 20 min long.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I left them running for like 15 mins and came back and they were still going so I thought it was just looping. lol

Ties

Banned
Does anyone here still play the multiplayer? I bought ACR and ACB just for the multiplayer lol

I'm thinking of marathoning through the series during Spring Break, but I lack AC2. Is the single player relatively long or short?

Does anyone here still play the multiplayer? I bought ACR and ACB just for the multiplayer lol

I'm thinking of marathoning through the series during Spring Break, but I lack AC2. Is the single player relatively long or short?

I'd play it, if there are some motivated gaffers. The first time I played it it was a mess, everyone running around, no stealth xD

AC2 is relatively long but very interesting. For me in the series in order of awesomeness :
AC2=Brotherhood > Revelations > 1

Top Bottom