• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate |OT| Once more unto the glitch

leng jai

I really like this, better than Black Flag since I prefer this setting. Aside from 900p, my main complaint is how awful the UI is. So many things are highlighted and there's always that unnecessary ring around you when you're in sneak mode.

I really like this, better than Black Flag since I prefer this setting. Aside from 900p, my main complaint is how awful the UI is. So many things are highlighted and there's always that unnecessary ring around you when you're in sneak mode.

You can turn all of that crap off afaik.

witness

Played for 4 hours last night and I just love it. Such a smooth experience with great variety, I really like both Jacob and Evie, the combat feels great, and the grapple is a game changer for the series. I also love how the map isn't just littered with icons, and looks more like AC2 in that regard. I'll be into this all weekend. I'm so impressed with what they've done.

nOoblet16

I am liking this over Unity so far.

Unity had worse combat, missions and characters...it also had no music while playing the game so it felt boring.

It's probably just a placebo effect but I think the game runs more smoothly if you turn off or select minimal HUD. Especially with puppeteer toggle off.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

gossi

Go into the menu - options and you can disable anything in the UI (including the whole UI).

... dammit this positive word of mouth is getting to me. Must resist.
Join the Syndicate. Embrace the Creed!

giphy.gif

SJRB

Gold Member
The river Thames is probably my favourite part of the city. It's pretty incredible how busy it is, and how dynamic it is to cross it. It's some next-gen Frogger but it works really well. I can't even imagine everything going on "under the hood" when you jump from one moving boat to another going the opposite direction.

Also a lot of clever solutions for when there's no boat approaching, like crates you can jump on to.

That said the Thames completely ruins the pace, so if you just want to get to the other side for a mission and you're not near a bridge you're fucked.

El-Suave

If I've never played an AC game before this will I be lost with the plot? (specifically the 'modern day' parts).

If the past few games are anything to go by, the historical main story really is the star of the show and pretty self contained after the Ezio trilogy and even those were stand alone games. Judging from what I've played so far the modern day storyline is even more dialed back and less involved in this one.

Against my better judgment I bought this yesterday. I'm sick and was bored, and people being mostly positive on it pushed me over the edge. It is pretty good so far. A lot better than Unity at any rate.

Peff

I understand they'd be nigh-on unplayable otherwise, but enemies becoming completely blind save for the "noise circle" in these hostage extraction missions looks incredibly silly.

I understand they'd be nigh-on unplayable otherwise, but enemies becoming completely blind save for the "noise circle" in these hostage extraction missions looks incredibly silly.

You can take hostages also outside these extraction missions and is very usefull. You basically stage a "friendship" with the hostage and the same happen in a lot of action movies

Elginer

Stupid work is stopping me from playing but I managed to get 2 hours in last night and am loving it so far. Leagues better than Unity. Not as good looking but I'm fine with that, combat is sooooooo much better and fun. Finishers are nasty and I love Evie. Jacob is a bubbling fool but charming in his own way.

Yoday

Has anyone figured out where to find the season pass weapons and gear once you buy it?
Can't speak to PS4, but on Xbox the content that is already available automatically downloaded when I put in my gold edition code. So far I believe the Sherlock Holmes outfit is the only one available, and that will just be in Jacobs outfits menu. Everything else is from Ubisoft Club and the Join the Family promotion site.

mindsale

I played the intro and I've freed the first area on Xbone (my PS4 hard drive is full).

The framerate is atrocious. Have I just not played a 30 fps game in a while? The camera is dizzyingly unresponsive / disorienting. The aiming for knives and gunplay feels really imprecise. I had such fond memories of Black Flag (the only AC I haven't played is Unity), but I do not remember the controls and camera feeling this loose.

Is this the new engine? Will I acclimate?

Ferr986

Been watching streams (deciding if I should get it even if Unity was kind of meh) and I see the character just keeps putting his/her hood off and on. Can't you just make the hood always on like in Unity?

Against my better judgment, I picked up a copy yesterday, and surprisingly, the game is really good! What a difference from Unity. The map is breathable compared to the density of Paris. Not really feeling overwhelmed by collectibles, and each district is smartly designed by only having a single mission in each of its several sectors before you 'conquer' it.

Traversal is a bit of a slog until you reach chapter 3 and unlock the grappling hook (which comes about pretty quick, so don't worry).London is gorgeous, and the dynamic weather and change in time of day breathes even more life into this bustling city.

During the evening its cobblestone paths are basked in dim light by the oil lamps, and Elizabeth Tower is seen afar by its clockface lit up in an eerie orange. The artist have done a great job transportation into the Victorian age, and the game's framerate is a vast improvement in comparison to Unity. I'm fine with the crowd size being reduced on the streets, though such locations such as train stations are densely populated with hundreds of patrons waiting near the platforms for trains to arrive. Good stuff.

SJRB

Gold Member
Good lord, Bounty Hunts are fucking awful.

WHY is this even a thing?

Been watching streams (deciding if I should get it even if Unity was kind of meh) and I see the character just keeps putting his/her hood off and on. Can't you just make the hood always on like in Unity?

Nope. There is a dedicated "stealth" button, you'll crouch and put on the hood. As soon as you go back to normal mode you stand up and take off the hood.

Drewfonse

Comeback franchise of the year? Comeback franchise of the year.

Feels good.

I visited London for the first time this year, so the idea of playing an AC game set in the Victorian era is so good. Now if the USPS would just hurry the fuck up and deliver my game, that would make my day.

Ferr986

Good lord, Bounty Hunts are fucking awful.

WHY is this even a thing?

Nope. There is a dedicated "stealth" button, you'll crouch and put on the hood. As soon as you go back to normal mode you stand up and take off the hood.

Thanks for the answer. Didn't know that. As I said Unity is the only one I finished. I like it more with their hoods up. Wish it could be a toogle.

I just bumped into some very foppish-looking dandies playing goddamn cricket on the lawn of Parliament and one says "what's all that hargy-bargey bout then??!"
Goty 5 child workers out of 5

SJRB

Gold Member
I just bumped into some very foppish-looking dandies playing goddamn cricket on the lawn of Parliament and one says "what's all that hargy-bargey bout then??!"

Haha yes.

Still waiting for the inevitable "U wot m8" and "I swear on me mum".

Drewfonse

A couple screens I took on the XB1.

Here are some screens of Evie's legacy outfits. I am so glad that there were enough female characters in the series that she was able to get some neat bonus outfits.

Wow! Beautiful. I'll be playing it on the One also.

Yoday

The writing for the NPCs in this is by far the best in the series IMO. I ran into some orphan beggars. One said "I think I'm goin' hoarse with all this beggin'" and the other boy said "its all them cheap cigars you been smokin'". I'm sure past games have had some decent lines, but they were all in other languages, so it was hard to pick up on that stuff. I really hope they start adding in some context sensitive NPC interactions in future games. If there are beggars on the street or kids playing I'd like to be able to walk up to them and press the action button to interact.

Yoday

Lol, you can detach train cars on the random trains throughout the world. I randomly detached some cars just before there was a split in the tracks. The cars went one direction while the engine turned and went another.

cormack12

Gold Member
Quick question - after the starting area (Whitechapel), you have to go to Lambeth to start sequence 4. How do you get there? Can I just wander through London (it's level 6, am I going to get my ass handed to me by blighters who spot me?). I tried getting on the fast travel train but it seemed to go straight back to Whitechapel.....

ironcreed

Banned
It's great to see how many have been won over by this game. All of the player reactions after the dust has settled speaks volumes. Can't wait to go ahead and pick it up in a few days.

SentryDown

Quick question - after the starting area (Whitechapel), you have to go to Lambeth to start sequence 4. How do you get there? Can I just wander through London (it's level 6, am I going to get my ass handed to me by blighters who spot me?). I tried getting on the fast travel train but it seemed to go straight back to Whitechapel.....

You can pretty much steal a "car" (don't know the english word for this), run or use the hook, if you're fast enough they won't do much.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Hmm...was not anticipating the positive reactions.

Is there anything of note that is required to know from Unity/Rogue that carries over in terms of plot progression? Never played either of them.

Top Bottom