• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate |OT| Once more unto the glitch

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Detection is really fucking dumb in this game. It's bad enough to warrant a full point loss on review scale. You can be performing completely low-profile actions like WALKING and still draw attention outside a restricted area with enemy gangs. Couple that with near instant detection after killing someone with a hidden blade also in low-profile. Unacceptable. I have no idea what they were thinking here.

You eventually get a perk that makes gangs ignore you in free roam.

You do get detected for BS reasons (this has always been a problem in AC games IMO), but it is much easier to go back incognito in this game compared to all the others. So at least there is that.

cormack12

Gold Member
You can pretty much steal a "car" (don't know the english word for this), run or use the hook, if you're fast enough they won't do much.

Thanks dude - found it :)

No, the difference is pretty bizarre sometimes.

I'm currently level 4 and I got completely ganked by two level 5 policemen, they took an unbelievable amount of hits and in the end I still died [even after using 2 medicine].

On one of the notes, it basically says policemen are the equivalent of 'elites' in an RPG. It hints that if they're in the vicinity then allow yourself to be attacked and the aggressor will draw the policeman's wrath.

If you level up properly and take the right perks for your playstyle you should be fine. Sounds like the problem is coming from carrying on attacking your first target. The stunlock is for crowd control, as well as the devastating counter combo of

PS3_Circle_16px.png
PS3_Triangle_16px.png
PS3_Square_16px.png

And the smoke bombs etc. Be sure to check your skill tree.

DrBo42

You eventually get a perk that makes gangs ignore you in free roam.

You do get detected for BS reasons (this has always been a problem in AC games IMO), but it is much easier to go back incognito in this game compared to all the others. So at least there is that.

Okay. Just seems absurd that the whole "blade in the crowd" philosophy since game one was thrown out at default in this one and requires you to get around it with a perk. I can't even test if detection works the same way after a kill from crowd-blending because there aren't any outside of set areas from what I've seen.

hawk2025

Is there a video I can see showing the skill tree and progression directly?

One of the worst things about Unity for me was the terrible progression and gear system that was so unrewarding, and hearing that has been improved is exciting -- would like to know more!

PS4 Syndicate=No Regrets.

I mean there's so much could be said about Syndicate, but ill save time and say that reviews pretty much covered it all. Story, Characters ( Evie & Jacob I will never forget, best duo ) and London looks absolutely gorgeous with fine detail throughout entire map.

DrBo42

Can anyone whose playing confirm whether they've gotten rid of blood splatter? Replaying Unity on the PC at the moment and when you attack enemies it stains the clothes and the blood splatters onto the environment in a relatively dynamic way. Seems like blood has been completely removed in this outside of the new, weird comic book stains.

It's gone from what I've played. Definitely not on clothes. I'll find an alley to confirm.

Edit: Yeah it's gone.

So technically yeah, there's no splatter. But the blood pool appears to apply to any surface it comes into contact with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0hkmL3CdIE

Weird, wonder if the blood splatter absence is a glitch of some sort?

Have they added back a real defense against gunfire such as the human shield that was removed from Unity for no reason?

jrush64

Banned
The more I play this game, the more I love it even more. It's the best Assassins Creed since Black Flag.

London is such a way better setting than Paris. I think that one was of the reasons why I didn't like Unity that much.

Haklong

The improved combat system alone makes it more fun than Unity. I'm still struggling to finish Unity and I had it since day one.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Detection is really fucking dumb in this game. It's bad enough to warrant a full point loss on review scale. You can be performing completely low-profile actions like WALKING and still draw attention outside a restricted area with enemy gangs. Couple that with near instant detection after killing someone with a hidden blade also in low-profile. Unacceptable. I have no idea what they were thinking here.

This post is like a splash of cold water in the face. The ease of being detected and how enemies are constantly bothering you has always been the the most annoying part of AC.

CaLe

Really not liking the game so far. Parcour is still a hot mess I find myself struggling with yet again, and combat is still repetitive and counter-based. And the glitches / visual bugs... God.

Really wish I had read more reviews.

The improved combat system alone makes it more fun than Unity. I'm still struggling to finish Unity and I had it since day one.

My Dad got me Unity for Christmas...I really did not enjoy it. Didn't finish it but it felt so eh. After the positive and fun remarks about this I think I'll have to pick it up at some point.

Unity was such a travesty on the narrative front. I so wanted a good romance story, and they ballsed it up.

Guy Ritchie's Assassin Gangs of London is doing a way better job of telling the narrative.

So I have a quiestion, I finally turned the game on. Is there any way to turn off the XP Boost icon on top of the radar? I redeemd all the codes I had, and didnt realize i'll have a giant ass arrrow above my radar all the time

I'm so excited for this! Going to get it as my holiday game for December, can't wait after all these positive impressions. I love AC when it's good so a good AC game sounds perfect.

Did they tone down the collectibles at all? That is one thing that really bothered me in Black Flag as a somewhat completionist, looking at the map was so overwhelming.

Dantis

Bought this earlier. Seems okay, but a step back from Unity in a lot of ways?

The combat seems to be back to how it was in AC4, mechanically. I know it looks different with the fisticuffs, but it's back to smashing buttons, occasional counter, win.

A lot of things Unity did seem to be gone. Where are the building interiors? The character customisation? Why are the guards all once again parkour masters?

The lack of outfit customisation really hurts, because I loved that in Unity.

People who are/were calling this game ugly are insane.
the opening section with Evie in the rain isn't the most flattering. Flat and ugly would be appropriate terms imo

Once you reach freeroam, things change. experincing London during the day/night cycle, all the npcs/carriages/boats/trains and zipping up buildings, then the game comes into its own. The first time reaching the top of Big Ben is very impressive visually

hawk2025

The combat seems to be back to how it was in AC4, mechanically. I know it looks different with the fisticuffs, but it's back to smashing buttons, occasional counter, win.

A lot of things Unity did seem to be gone. Where are the building interiors? The character customisation? Why are the guards all once again parkour masters?

I realize it wasn't your intention, but you have no idea how much this increases the likelihood that I will buy this sooner rather than later. Every single feature you listed I felt was a cumbersome mess in Unity.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Did they tone down the collectibles at all? That is one thing that really bothered me in Black Flag as a somewhat completionist, looking at the map was so overwhelming.

Well part of the issue with Unity was all the 'App chests' bullshit so you knew you could never get anything. This one, so far, seems to do a better job of spacing the collectibles out? And the feather equivalent is really easy to get with the new traversing mechanic.

jackdoe

Well part of the issue with Unity was all the 'App chests' bullshit so you knew you could never get anything. This one, so far, seems to do a better job of spacing the collectibles out? And the feather equivalent is really easy to get with the new traversing mechanic.
Feathers had nothing on those bullshit floating music sheets in ACIV.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Feathers had nothing on those bullshit floating music sheets in ACIV.

Honestly, as frustrating as Unity was, it's near impossible to go back now because of the upgrades they've made to traversal and just making it more automated.

The Shanties ins ACIV(and I think there was an equivalent in 3 too) were like the ultimate 'you don't realize how bad your game controls, do you?' moment

Is the combat set up so that you only have to counter one dude and then the rest can be finished off with single button presses? Can't remember which game had that system but I didn't like it.

DrBo42

Yeah apparel customization is down to Outfit, Cloak, and Assassin Gauntlets (on Evie) Jacob has the same but with Belt replacing Cloak. I miss the customization of Unity as well, way more options than what we have here.

Combat is fast here but super dull and mechanically shallow. It's very much back to 4 in that regard and is a big negative for me.

Honestly, I find the gameplay to be very clunky and awkward. Combat is very simplistic, and movement in general is a jankfest. And don't even get me started on indoor parkour. Holy shit, that's some bullshit.

Still enjoying it somewhat because of the setting and characters. I'm on sequence 5 and so far it's a 6.5/10 for me. And that's coming from a fan of the series.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
People who are/were calling this game ugly are insane.

I can't agree more. When you're walking through The Strand at 8am during a sun shower it looks fantastic, some of the best visuals I've ever seen.

Also realtime passage of time is great. Starting a mission at sunset and ending it at midnight.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I got a gang upgrade that says I can now buy pubs, but I don't see a single pub I can purchase. What's up with that?

The Lamp

The more I play this game, the more I love it even more. It's the best Assassins Creed since Black Flag.

London is such a way better setting than Paris. I think that one was of the reasons why I didn't like Unity that much.

I will fight you to the death about that. French Revolution Paris is a fucking amazing setting, regardless of Unity.

DrBo42

Parkour feels like a step back. There's a constant hesitation when wanting to jump across to another rooftop etc that's enraging. As soon as I let go of the inputs to jump, then the character carries it out.

CaLe

Honestly, I find the gameplay to be very clunky and awkward. Combat is very simplistic, and movement in general is a jankfest. And don't even get me started on indoor parkour. Holy shit, that's some bullshit.

Still enjoying it somewhat because of the setting and characters. I'm on sequence 5 and so far it's a 6.5/10 for me. And that's coming from a fan of the series.

This. God, you stole the words out of my mouth. The indoor parkour is more frustrating than my mother in law.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This. God, you stole the words out of my mouth. The indoor parkour is more frustrating than my mother in law.

I'm feeling the exact opposite.

This is the first AC game I've played where I can run down the street without the character grabbing/hanging onto any piece of markup slightly graze. Having to hold X or square for up and down traversal is a god send.

Add to that you can hold trigger and square and the character will drop to the ground as quickly as possible makes this the best traversal engine in the series.

And the addition of the grapple makes it even better. One button to quickly get to the top of a building. And in addition you can bridge huge gaps with it now, instead of having to clunkily climb all the way down to the street and then slowly clamber up.

These quality of life changes make the game a joy to traverse.

SJRB

Gold Member
Parkour feels like a step back. There's a constant hesitation when wanting to jump across to another rooftop etc that's enraging. As soon as I let go of the inputs to jump, then the character carries it out.

I noticed the same thing. "Hesitation" is a good way of putting it, everytime I want to parkour the character takes a split second to think about what I just told her to do.

Especially when climbing up walls the pause is very noticable. It's rather frustrating, isn't it?

I see the Creed of Assassin's is growing in this thread. To think it was an endless shit storm before launch. Welcome, enjoy your stay I'm London.

Top Bottom