• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assault Android Cactus - Steam Early Access |OT| Four-players. Twin-sticks. 60 frames

Shaneus

2jIGtFA.jpg

by

Official Launch Trailer
Downloadable **60FPS** Launch Trailer

TQB9HRW.png

Assault Android Cactus is a manic twin stick arena shooter with screens full of enemies, buckets of bullets and high scoring combo chains! Take on the role of Cactus, an enthusiastic police android, who responds to a stranded space freighter only to discover it under siege by its malfunctioning robot workers. Cut off from the outside and in over her head, Cactus and the androids she recruits along the way battle through the crippled Genki Star to reach the brain of the ship and put things right before it's too late.

0AZNNDE.png

t5HrIMv.png

• Multiple playable androids with unique weapon set and play styles.
  • Dynamic stages change conditions and rearrange themselves during play.
  • Heart pounding soundtrack that dynamically shifts based on your performance composed by Jeff van Dyck, whose prior works include Skitchin', the first two Need for Speed games and the Total War series.
  • Giant robot bosses that unleash bullet hell and stage covering special attacks.
  • Up to four player local co-op, supports mouse and keyboard and joypad.
  • Whilst this thread is for the Steam Early Access beta, Assault Android Cactus will also be released in the coming months on OSX and Linux. Shortly afterwards (ETA early 2014) it will also be available on PS4, Vita and Wii U!
  • Early access build has 16 levels and 5 playable characters (1 has to be unlocked). Features from Witch Beam's early access road map will be added every few weeks up until the full launch in November.

W8x0P6v.png

Witch Beam (Developer)

Official Website

Facebook page

AAC Twitter

TotalBiscuit WTF...? Assault Android Cactus

(Real) Elevator Pitch - Assault Android Cactus

8KYTDni.png

floorchange.gif

rbomber2.gif

starch_missile.gif

filament.gif

**UPDATED MEDIA STUFF**
IGN - Assault Android Cactus Gameplay Commentary

vespula_wasp.gif

**ADDITIONAL MODE INFO** (21/12/13)
Well we haven't talked much about our EX options, the framework for bonus settings using credits you earn by playing through the game that's not yet in the early access :p As you can see in the GIF's there are a few graphical glitches to sort out though, like bullet orientation and visibility during hit reaction/weapon swap.

The only one we've specifically announced via interviews is our classic mode for an orthographic view sort of SNES style :)
cactus_fps.gif

Paz

Thanks Shaneus :D Fellow Gaffer Sycle and I are over the moon that this is all public now!

If anybody has any questions about the game just chuck em in here. Might give away some Steam keys from time to time too :p

Paz

Working on updating everything everywhere, but in case people are wondering the early access build has 16 levels and 5 playable characters (1 has to be unlocked), we'll be adding features from our early access road map every few weeks up until the full launch in November.

jwk94

Working on updating everything everywhere, but in case people are wondering the early access build has 16 levels and 5 playable characters (1 has to be unlocked), we'll be adding features from our early access road map every few weeks up until the full launch in November.
Not sure if you're able to answer this, but do you know if the PS4 will have something similar to an early access program?

Paz

Not sure if you're able to answer this, but do you know if the PS4 will have something similar to an early access program?

I'm not too sure mate, that's kind of a console policy issue. We're still a ways off getting here with our console versions too, will know more at the start of 2014.

Miker

I hope I'm not alone in saying that those characters are the most Jet Force Gemini-ass designs that have ever Jet Force Gemini'd across my monitor in some time.

Amir0x

Banned
They should just rename this TENSION: THE GAME. I am buying Early Access next Thursday, but I tried on the Demo for now because I was too excited to wait.

This game has a miracle balance between the constant need to keep your batteries charged, the endless stream of bullets and debris and environmental changes, and just hordes upon hordes of monsters that surround you until you're nearly suffocated and demand you hog that little inch of space you have left.

It's like any movie you've seen where it's all quiet at first and then suddenly you hear the screech of some monster in the distance, and then slowly at first a stream of horrible creatures begins to crawl over the horizon. Eventually it builds into a screaming rush where you're always taking yet another step backwards, losing ground, trying to dash around these enemies and between them like some bullet ballerina desperate to save the last dance.

I'm not sure what type of difficulty settings the final game will have, but my only issue is the demo seems a bit easy, but of course demos tend to be like that, considering they're demos. I neeeeds my early access, can't wait til next Thursday.

Paz

I'm not sure what type of difficulty settings the final game will have, but my only issue is the demo seems a bit easy, but of course demos tend to be like that, considering they're demos. I neeeeds my early access, can't wait til next Thursday.

A lot of it depends on how experience you are with Twin Sticks and Shmups in general, it sounds like you're very experienced :)

The demo is basically zone 1 of 5 in difficulty and things get a LOT harder, what we want to do (possibly post launch, possibly for launch) is include our version of Super Meat Boy's Dark World, a super hard version of the campaign that features every enemy type cranked up to 11 starting from level 1.

I'm keen to hear what you think of some of the later content (which admittedly is more rough) so let me know when you've had a chance to check out the Early Access!

Amir0x

Banned
A lot of it depends on how experience you are with Twin Sticks and Shmups in general, it sounds like you're very experienced :)

The demo is basically zone 1 of 5 in difficulty and things get a LOT harder, what we want to do (possibly post launch, possibly for launch) is include our version of Super Meat Boy's Dark World, a super hard version of the campaign that features every enemy type cranked up to 11 starting from level 1.

I'm keen to hear what you think of some of the later content (which admittedly is more rough) so let me know when you've had a chance to check out the Early Access!

oh man you're going to make me FAINT from all the buttons of mine you're pushing. Your version of SMB Dark World-esque difficulty campaign? Oh man. Whether you meet that goal or not, I definitely didn't think the difficulty was indicative of what the full package is offering; generally demos are meant to get people into a game to see what it's all about, which is difficult if you make a demo so hard that nobody can even enjoy easing into the experience :p

I was just mentioning it because since all the pieces are place for one of the most tension fueled gaming experiences in the indie realm, that if the difficulty block falls in place as well for the final game as I expect it to, it'll be an instant classic. Seriously, it's amazing guys.

I just played the demo. Awesome! It's like someone scoured my mind for the kind of games I like to play.

Is the full release available on Steam now? Sorry, I don't do much PC gaming(Mac). So glad I heard about this the other day in the .gifs as marketing thread.

Paz

I just played the demo. Awesome! It's like someone scoured my mind for the kind of games I like to play.

When is this out? I want it now. So glad I heard about this the other day in the .gifs as marketing thread.

Well Early Access is out now with a lot more content than the demo (& you get updates all the way to release), full game is out in November for PC, Early 2014 for PS4/Vita/Wii U.

By the way: No leaderboards yet! They are the first thing we intend to add as an update to the Early Access build

Sorry but we just ran out of time to sync everything up with the demo release.

Paz

We're local co-op only for the time being. We'd love to do online play but our 3 person team is stretched very thin as it is, and online for a twitchy game like this with so many moving parts is not trivial.

Carton

I'm not going to play a second more of the demo; i've seen enough. It's a day one purchase, for sure. Plays fantastic, looks great, and I love the music! Can't wait.

Oops, just realised you could buy it now! Done.

We're local co-op only for the time being. We'd love to do online play but our 3 person team is stretched very thin as it is, and online for a twitchy game like this with so many moving parts is not trivial.

I hear you. I'm sure it's been an incredible amount of work so far. It looks great and the demo was a blast. I'll be posting more once I get to sit down with it.

Paz

Cannon Spike was definitely an influence, along with Radiant Silvergun, Geometry Wars, Super Stardust, Death Smiles, and every 90s blue skies arcade game there ever was!

Paz

Game is awesome! Reminds me of a way more refined SSD/Blast Factor. Will get for Vita/PS4 Crossbuy!

Is this coming to Xbone?

No plans for XBone at the moment, last time we heard from Microsoft (E3 time) they didn't want us on their platform.

6 SKU's across with 3 developer's will keep us busy for some time :)

Sykra

No plans for XBone at the moment, last time we heard from Microsoft (E3 time) they didn't want us on their platform.

Microsoft is so baffling, why wouldn't you want an awesome game for your game console.. Anyways day1 ^^

Crazy that Sony is helping out so much and it's not console exclusive to them. Frame rate is really good for a game like this.

Do you think you could add controller support to the PC version. I'm using a modified DS3 right now on Steam.

Top Bottom