• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's highly debatable...

I mean, sure, you have the multiplats, but to the best of my knowledge the PC has never really had its own beloved franchises comparable to the likes of Gran Turismo and Forza. That's changed in recent years, though, with Project Cars being the most obvious example (yes, I realise it's going to be multiplat now, but it was born and matured on the PC).

I could forgive the question if I had fumbled my words, but considering my post is quite clear, you just come across as condescending.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I mean, sure, you have the multiplats, but to the best of my knowledge the PC has never really had its own beloved franchises comparable to the likes of Gran Turismo and Forza. That's changed in recent years, though, with Project Cars being the most obvious example (yes, I realise it's going to be multiplat now, but it was born and matured on the PC).

I could forgive the question if I had fumbled my words, but considering my post is quite clear, you just come across as condescending.

rfactor.

Aerocrane

Racing sims have had a longer history on PC, but JaseC is correct in that there haven't really been series that are the simulator for the platform like Gran Turismo and Forza have been on their respective platforms. On PC we've had Rfactor, GTR and the Race series with its expansions. No simulator has had it all in a complete package like the console games and simulators really haven't been in the mainstream on PC like on consoles. Assetto Corsa being distributed on Steam and featured prominently when on sale definitely increases visibility for the product, and I would argue that it is able to reach a wider audience than other racing sims on PC previously have.

Addnan

It seems two different things being argued here. Sure PC has a lot of sim racers, but outside of the sim community how many people could name Reiza's games or even rfactor. Everyone knows GT and Forza. Assetto Corsa and CARS is changing that.

JaseC

But you don't need a franchise to have a strong history in racing sims, I personally don't consider GT or PGR above rfactor but yes we (PC) don't have a series like those.

I didn't mean to suggest that the PC didn't have a strong history; what I was getting that is that the association of the genre has, by and large, favoured consoles, which appears to be in the process of shifting somewhat.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I didn't mean to suggest that PC didn't have a strong history; what I was getting that is that the association of the genre has, by and large, favoured consoles, which appears to be in the process of gradually shifting.

With mainstream gamers if you say rfactor they probably are gonna look at you weird buy if you say Grand Turismo they'll say sure I played those; so yes, you are right if we consider mainstream audiences, but we know PC racing sims are not mainstream at all (thank you codemaster) and yet they have quite the following, but yes I get your point now.

JaseC

With mainstream gamers if you say rfactor they probably are gonna look at you weird buy if you say Grand Turismo they'll say sure I played those; so yes, you are right if we consider mainstream audiences, but we know PC racing sims are not mainstream at all (thank you codemaster) and yet they have quite the following, but yes I get your point now.

If the Halo MCC comes to the PC (which it undoubtedly will), I think there will exist a good chance of Forza 5 making the jump also. I know MS said not to read too much into the DX12 tech demo, but that's exactly what it'd say regardless of intentions as "Yes, we intend to bring the game to the PC, but there's no ETA at this time" would just cannibalise sales of the X1 version in the interim.

Shaneus

I very much doubt they'd ever bring a Forza game to PC. While MS are still making consoles, Forza will be console exclusive. Too many people buy their hardware solely for these exclusives and if more and more make the jump, people won't invest in them in the future.
I know a good number of folk who bought a One only for FM5 and Horizon 2, MS would never piss away that goodwill.

markao

I didn't mean to suggest that the PC didn't have a strong history; what I was getting that is that the association of the genre has, by and large, favoured consoles, which appears to be in the process of shifting somewhat.
what & by whom, console players, or maybe just you?

Serious simulations has always been associated with the PC since decades. Just because there is now a Steam sale going, does not mean the entire GP series, Papy's Indy/Nascar & GPL, ISI's Sport Car & F1 game (later rFactor), all the SimBin games and LFS, probably all sold more than AC in their lifetime, did not exist ?

JaseC

I very much doubt they'd ever bring a Forza game to PC. While MS are still making consoles, Forza will be console exclusive. Too many people buy their hardware solely for these exclusives and if more and more make the jump, people won't invest in them in the future.
I know a good number of folk who bought a One only for FM5 and Horizon 2, MS would never piss away that goodwill.

While I expect it to happen, I do agree that MS is caught in an awkward left hand/right hand situation, with Windows in one and Xbox in the other.

what & by whom, console players, or maybe just you?

Serious simulations has always been associated with the PC since decades. Just because there is now a Steam sale going, does not mean the entire GP series, Papy's Indy/Nascar & GPL, ISI's Sport Car & F1 game (later rFactor), all the SimBin games and LFS, probably all sold more than AC in their lifetime, did not exist ?

I hardly said that sims didn't exist on the PC before Assetto. You seem to be referring to presence (that racing sims have released on the PC) whereas I'm referring to popularity (that racing sims have historically enjoyed more mainstream success on consoles than the PC, in large thanks to tentpole franchises). I get the impression that you disagree, though (since you specify "serious simulations", I'm assuming Forza and GT don't qualify from your perspective), which is fine. I'm sure we can agree, however, that Assetto flying up the Top Sellers list is only a good thing -- more brand awareness means more players means more money for the devs.

Edit: I'd rather we put a pin in this. It wasn't my intention to rustle feathers and in hindsight I should have just let the opening sentence of my original post stand on its own two metaphorical feet.

markao

No I indeed do not see "simcades" as GT or Forza as full simulations, but that does not matter for my reasoning (post). I also do not see AC selling big numbers and it therefore "shifting that process" (association of the genre). It is a niche game, that lacks the content and the game (career) structure to do so. Being on the front page helps, but that does not mean 100K numbers are flying of the shells. (some of those older titles sold mil +). Yes, fully agree, everyone should buy AC and it is great to see that happening, but it is not going to be a GT or Forza.

I disagree strongly with your suggestion that simracers, full or more arcady, have a stronger history with the consoles, but maybe that just a generation difference(?) and you missed out on the early days of racing games in the late 80's. ;)

JaseC

No I indeed do not see "simcades" as GT or Forza as full simulations, but that does not matter for my reasoning (post). I also do not see AC selling big numbers and it therefore "shifting that process" (association of the genre). It is a niche game, that lacks the content and the game (career) structure to do so. Being on the front page helps, but that does not mean 100K numbers are flying of the shells. (some of those older titles sold mil +). Yes, fully agree, everyone should buy AC and it is great to see that happening, but it is not going to be a GT or Forza.

I wasn't referring to just AC, to be clear.

I disagree strongly with your suggestion that simracers, full or more arcady, have a stronger history with the consoles, but maybe that just a generation difference(?) and you missed out on the early days of racing games in the late 80's. ;)

Sure, it stands to reason that the genre has existed longer on the PC owing to the PC's longer existence itself. I don't disagree with that.

Edit: Participating in this thread has made me realise that I haven't actually bought AC yet. I should fix that, especially since it has a slighter lower base price for Early Access.

markao

I wasn't referring to just AC, to be clear.

Sure, it stands to reason that the genre has existed longer on the PC owing to the PC's longer existence itself. I don't disagree with that.

Edit: Participating in this thread has made me realise that I haven't actually bought AC yet. I should fix that, especially since it has a slighter lower base price for Early Access.
I have sad it before, but as non native you often say things that leave the other guessing what you/I meant, so all ok here ;)

What I wanted to get across is that I believe that history is more than "what's popular" (sells) and racing games go a long way back, even before the first Playstation was released.

And once you bought it, go have some fun and I would suggest you start out with some of the road cars, think the game shines the brightest with them.

JaseC

I have sad it before, but as non native you often say things that leave the other guessing what you/I meant, so all ok here ;)

What I wanted to get across is that I believe that history is more than "what's popular" (sells) and racing games go a long way back, even before the first Playstation was released.

Sure, I agree with that. I should have clarified my original post better to begin with so it was clear what I was referring to with "stronger history".

And once you bought it, go have some fun and I would suggest you start out with some of the road cars, think the game shines the brightest with them.

Does the game have championships/cups or is it still just single races? I haven't been keeping much of an eye on how development has progressed throughout Early Access.

It's half price this weekend too.

Yeah, when the deal popped up I remembered that the game existed, haha.

markao

Does the game have championships/cups or is it still just single races? I haven't been keeping much of an eye on how development has progressed throughout Early Access.
I only raced against the AI in single races, have not looked at any career structure, so long answer short, no idea;)

LilJoka

Its got a bunch of challenges, but the career mode is not completed. It is supposed to be part of the game however, we dont know to what depth though. My fun is all in beating my friends lap times using something like RSR Timing, or OV1 leaderboards and also racing online. And the quality of some of the mods are insanely good. Mods will keep the game alive if nothing else does.

Seanspeed

Banned
I think its worth differentiating games like Forza and GT with games like rFactor and Assetto Corsa. The former games are sim-style racers, but with slightly dumbed down physics and built with mainstream appeal. The latter are what most sim racers would actually call 'sims', with no compromise driving models and few frills to appeal to anyone whose priority isn't the driving/racing.

Proper sims have always been the domain of the PC and have next-to-no market share on consoles whatsoever.

JaseC

Its got a bunch of challenges, but the career mode is not completed. It is supposed to be part of the game however, we dont know to what depth though. My fun is all in beating my friends lap times using something like RSR Timing, or OV1 leaderboards and also racing online. And the quality of some of the mods are insanely good. Mods will keep the game alive if nothing else does.

Cheers. I didn't realise mod support was in; that's always a good thing.

Zeth

1966111_852909531402033_1418219765_o.jpg

Spa this weekend maybe?

The Spa '92 mod is actually pretty nice btw.

Jilt

NICE!!

Assetto Corsa – TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION License officially revealed!
With more than 10 milions vehicles produced per year, Toyota Motor Corporation is one of the most popular car brands in the world.
It is also one of the most wanted car brands for racing games: drift lovers and race enthusiasts know very well many of its most iconic models, like the Supra MK IV, the Celica, as well as the modern GT-86.
Therefore we are so glad to announce that Assetto Corsa will include in future, as officially licensed contents the following Toyota car models:
Production:
GT-86
SUPRA MK IV
CELICA
AE-86
Racing models:
GT-86 GT4
TS040 HYBRID

Seanspeed

Banned
NICE!!

With more than 10 milions vehicles produced per year, Toyota Motor Corporation is one of the most popular car brands in the world.
It is also one of the most wanted car brands for racing games: drift lovers and race enthusiasts know very well many of its most iconic models, like the Supra MK IV, the Celica, as well as the modern GT-86.
Therefore we are so glad to announce that Assetto Corsa will include in future, as officially licensed contents the following Toyota car models:
Production:
GT-86
SUPRA MK IV
CELICA
AE-86
Racing models:
GT-86 GT4
TS040 HYBRID
Very cool.

I'm good with content now, though! lol

I still haven't tried any of the car mods and am swimming in tracks. Kinda want them to focus on making it a more 'complete' game now.

anddo0

I finally purchased this game!

I don't own a race wheel and plan to use the OG Xbox 360, or my PS4 controller.

Any recommend controller settings?

Do cars need their own individual controller settings?
Can settings be saved?

Qassim

Gran Turismo and Forza are quite casual racing simulators compared proper racing sims. It has always been the case that if you want a true racing simulator you need to go PC.

It's not a knock against GT or Forza, I really wish we had more of those types of games on PC, because most of the PC racing simualtors are too hardcore for me.

Seanspeed

Banned
So, any idea when this game will reach "complete" status?
Hopefully in the next couple months in terms of a 1.0 release.

They are going to continue to develop the game and add features and content and whatnot afterwards still, though. For example, it wont have pitstops for 1.0. I think a full damage model(visual, mechanical, aero) is something that will happen a bit later as well.

Enco

Gotta agree with you.

Always seen racing games associated with consoles. Hardly ever PC.

markao

NICE!!

Production:
GT-86
SUPRA MK IV
CELICA
AE-86
Racing models:
GT-86 GT4
TS040 HYBRID
Nice!

Seanspeed

Banned
Gotta agree with you.

Always seen racing games associated with consoles. Hardly ever PC.
Again, difference between racing games and racing simulators.

There are no racing simulators on consoles apart from a few rare exceptions, like RacePro. Project Cars will probably be the first real sim with any sort of attention on consoles.

NEO0MJ

Hopefully in the next couple months in terms of a 1.0 release.

They are going to continue to develop the game and add features and content and whatnot afterwards still, though. For example, it wont have pitstops for 1.0. I think a full damage model(visual, mechanical, aero) is something that will happen a bit later as well.

OK. What are the biggest differences between this and project Cars?

Jilt

Again, difference between racing games and racing simulators.

There are no racing simulators on consoles apart from a few rare exceptions, like RacePro. Project Cars will probably be the first real sim with any sort of attention on consoles.

I do not fully agree.
Yes, Forza and Gran Turismo are for the masses. Yes, PC gaming makes the FFB really come alive. A good simulator is to be recognized by drivabilty.
I raced a lot in Gran Turismo, 1 to 6, with and without steering wheel. With is way better, because it delivers so much more feeling in game.
But, the step from GT to AC was a reel small one. In GT I was driving with no abs, or any other driving aid, like I am doing in AC.
There are differences, but a lot of simularities aswell.

Zeth

AC is the superior driving model - in the opinions of many people - I think

I'll put some time in Pcars for the eye candy and "gameyness" of it, but AC is the definitive driving experience in terms of physics, force feedback, etc. IMO.

Jilt

I'll put some time in Pcars for the eye candy and "gameyness" of it, but AC is the definitive driving experience in terms of physics, force feedback, etc. IMO.

Now, with this I agree!! Although I do not have any experience witj RFactor or Iracing, which should be good too...?!

NEO0MJ

Aha. Thanks!

TJP

More fantastic additions to Assetto Corsa :)

Amazing how many great cars AC has and how a small team can continue to obtain licences for such fantastic cars.

paskowitz

For me, in AC, I can "feel" what the car is doing much better than in pCARS. IMO in AC cars lose grip in a natural feel manner. In pCARS certain cars are wildly unpredictable and IMO are too easily provoked by throttle inputs (mostly the super cars). Then feeling for the right amount of opposite lock is hard to judge. Although some cars in pCARS drive nicely (GT race cars).

Dilly

Banned
AC has its flaws too though, especially in some oversteer situations where it actually gets hard to put some opposite lock in instead of easier because the wheel gets so heay.

Honestly as someone who owns both I think its a little too early to declare either the winner in terms of driving model, there are cars in both that feel great and some that don't. PCars does seem to have the more 'dogs' right now but these are getting updates on a daily basis so the landscape is changing.

What I can definitely say though is that PCars is by far the better 'game' i.e. it has a proper structure, a proper single player etc etc.

Seanspeed

Banned
I do not fully agree.
Yes, Forza and Gran Turismo are for the masses. Yes, PC gaming makes the FFB really come alive. A good simulator is to be recognized by drivabilty.
I raced a lot in Gran Turismo, 1 to 6, with and without steering wheel. With is way better, because it delivers so much more feeling in game.
But, the step from GT to AC was a reel small one. In GT I was driving with no abs, or any other driving aid, like I am doing in AC.
There are differences, but a lot of simularities aswell.
Forza and GT are sim-style games, sure, but they are purposefully dumbed down so as not to be too hardcore(to keep mass appeal). In GT, I can chuck cars around with pretty reckless abandon compared to how I have to drive in AC. I think its a fairly massive difference.

And of course if you've spent a lot of time learning to get good at Forza/GT, much of that will translate to a game like AC. You're right that there are similarities, as those games still teach a whole hell of a lot about the fundamentals of track driving, but I think the level of depth is far greater with true sims.

AC has its flaws too though, especially in some oversteer situations where it actually gets hard to put some opposite lock in instead of easier because the wheel gets so heay.
Yea, I'm still struggling with that at times.

And on the other hand, catching slides in cars like the Ferrari 312T is way too easy.

Zeth

Spa looks like it will be one of their finest tracks for sure. I can't wait for the release. Will put many hours in there.

Shaneus

Definitely. Obviously timed the release of those screens for the most recent F1 weekend (did we know Spa was coming?) but yeah, it's looking pretty damned amazing. Should be a hoot to drive in that Toyota hybrid.

Top Bottom