• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

Jimrpg

Hey Sean - can I ask what is that racing frame that you have for your wheel setup and how much and where did you get it from?

Also looks like the wheel is covering part of the screen, did you set it up intentionally like that or is it not adjustable.

Cool setup either way.

So I switched from GTX680 to 970SLI and there is not much of a performance difference in this game... SMH.

Some of the settings and effects in this game are just terribly optimized.

Addnan

So I switched from GTX680 to 970SLI and there is not much of a performance difference in this game... SMH.

Some of the settings and effects in this game are just terribly optimized.

Does the game even have SLI support? That's the risk you take going SLI, not all games will support. Plus still in early access so yeah, things are not fully optimised yet

Does the game even have SLI support? That's the risk you take going SLI, not all games will support. Plus still in early access so yeah, things are not fully optimised yet

I think it does... And even with one card I expected better. Is this game heavily CPU bound for some settings?

LilJoka

I think it does... And even with one card I expected better. Is this game heavily CPU bound for some settings?

I read somewhere that some settings actually cripple an SLI setup whereas run OK on single cards. So you will have to do a bit of research on the settings. I think it was Faces Per Frame setting, might actually need to be set to 6.

I read somewhere that some settings actually cripple an SLI setup whereas run OK on single cards. So you will have to do a bit of research on the settings. I think it was Faces Per Frame setting, might actually need to be set to 6.

Hmm, thanks. I'll try to do some more testing later. Don't get me wrong, the game runs great, but I was at least expecting a perfect 60 in race replays with many cars now...

LilJoka

Hmm, thanks. I'll try to do some more testing later. Don't get me wrong, the game runs great, but I was at least expecting a perfect 60 in race replays with many cars now...

My friend is running SLI 680s with little problem, so just some settings tweaks to do im sure. Its a bit fussy as multi gpu profiles havent ben updated as its an early access game. TBH a single 970 at 1080p should hold 60fps, my 780 does except for at the start when all the AI produce smoke, no issues online though.

Seanspeed

Banned

Also, pit stops for multiplayer has been confirmed.

Toyota GT86 was confirmed.

And the roadgoing Nissan GTR will be free while the race car will be a part of the Nurburgring DLC pack(which will be 50% off for Early Access participants).

So yea, yay. :)

qtr9wvgsujidg5zri4im.gif

Korezo

My friend is running SLI 680s with little problem, so just some settings tweaks to do im sure. Its a bit fussy as multi gpu profiles havent ben updated as its an early access game. TBH a single 970 at 1080p should hold 60fps, my 780 does except for at the start when all the AI produce smoke, no issues online though.

But the 970 doesn't, I tried hotlaps and it drops to 30fps in cockpit view all the time.

paskowitz

But the 970 doesn't, I tried hotlaps and it drops to 30fps in cockpit view all the time.

The "faces per frame" setting really slows things down (in conjunction with the vysnc pushing you to either 60fps or 30).

On my GTX770 (getting a 970) I ran everything max at 1080p, no Vsync, 61fps framerate limit, FXAA (multi car races) / 4xAA (hot lapping), FPF 2, tire smoke normal, low res mirrors and just about everything else max. I got 60fps no matter what during hot lapping and a relatively stable 60fps on all Kunos tracks with 22 cars or less (T1 Nurb GP being the exception), and 50-60fps on most modded tracks. All in cockpit view.

A 970 should be nothing short of 60fps in all but the most extreme scenarios (25+ cars, sunset, modded track, >4xAA).

Zeth

My 970 has been giving me a very consistent 90fps @ 1440P. My 680 required 2x AA or none - now I use 4x, even 8x when hotlapping on Kunos tracks. Most settings at Very High or Max - with PP on. 3 faces per frame, medium cubemap res.

Seanspeed

Banned
On my GTX770 (getting a 970) I ran everything max at 1080p, no Vsync, 61fps framerate limit, FXAA (multi car races) / 4xAA (hot lapping), FPF 2, tire smoke normal, low res mirrors and just about everything else max. I got 60fps no matter what during hot lapping and a relatively stable 60fps on all Kunos tracks with 22 cars or less (T1 Nurb GP being the exception), and 50-60fps on most modded tracks. All in cockpit view.

A 970 should be nothing short of 60fps in all but the most extreme scenarios (25+ cars, sunset, modded track, >4xAA).
I think you've been selling your 770 short there. With my 670, I was pushing 8xAA for full grid races and high res mirrors. Turn down reflections a bit(like you did with the FPF), turn off motion blur, smoke on Low(its really almost impossible to tell between Low and Highest setting) and you can easily achieve a solid 60fps.

Shaneus

The beauty of the DK2 with games like this is that you don't need a full sim rig to get the most out of it... just a solid wheel stand and seat. Can't wait until they're mainstream, will be fucking insane for sim-racing fans.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The beauty of the DK2 with games like this is that you don't need a full sim rig to get the most out of it... just a solid wheel stand and seat. Can't wait until they're mainstream, will be fucking insane for sim-racing fans.

could be fun with a motion platform, although they'd need some extra work to remove the platform motion from the rift tracking.

TJP

A few people from Race Department were at the press day: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/assetto-corsa-press-event-live-blog.93711/

16:31 CEST: Pit Stops will be multiplayer only so far.

15:00 CEST: Kunos are weighing between two different career modes. 1) A more forced. That you have to score a certain amount of points to progress. 2) Or another that's more free. So you can choose between events to progress. With the second way they can include long races and drifting more easily.

14:56 CEST: Confirmed: "The LaFerrari is using KERS as Traction Control. When the car notices wheelspin. The KERS will brake to reduce wheelspin. And by doing that. It will also recharge when doing that. That's working ingame!"

subwilde

That guy is using a DK2...wut. Can we get unofficial support at least :p I did one lap in LFS because I want to save the experience for AC.

Shaneus

Oh shit! How did that happen?!?

Hope it wasn't the fault of any of the devs or anyone associated with AC :(

Edit:
Such a happy, humble, personable bunch of guys. I hope AC does really, really well for them and puts them on the map.

TJP

All Bram said was - Facepalm of the day. Finally allowed to drive the real car and then you set the engine on fire #OMG. (Of course not our tame racing drivers of RD :whistling:).

assetto-corsa-press-event-020-jpg.65806

Looks like oil all over the engine bay and rear bumper so perhaps an oil line split:

assetto-corsa-press-event-023-jpg.65809

TJP

Are Kunos funded by Ferrari? Aris of Kunos responds:

There are some "rumors" that keep propagating and resisting and honestly they are also a bit disturbing to us devs...

Nobody and I mean NOBODY has funded the KS team and AC title. It's all entirely funded by us, we even have no debts to banks or whatever. Hard work, careful planning, and strict control of our assets and resources.

We are a very small team, we work very hard for very long hours and this help us with costs. We pay for the Ferrari license as everybody else, but we also managed to get more because we proved to Ferrari that we where the right team and had the right technology for them to use in their own simulators.

KS although being such a small team, does not do only AC. It creates know how and technology for use in other in house simulations as the one in Ferrari or the one in Dallara... We do various projects at the same time as AC and yes is hard, and yes we love it.

All of that, help us pay our bills, pay the licenses and create a product that makes most of you happy and willing to pay for it and support it even more. We get this economic support, pay our lives of course but also invest even more on the title with more licenses, development and so on.

The damn lamborghini billboards on Vallelunga... Guys, sometimes the simplest theory is usually the correct one. We have no lamborghini connection or license. Simply those billboards are inside Vallelunga and in the circuit license we are permitted to include the actual billboards in the game. This is not always happening with other tracks. Simple as that, no conspiracy theories.

Finally... with time comes experience and with experience you change how you see things. AC comes after the experience of nKP and FVA. We learned lot's of things from those projects. We also learned the hard way and had some very bad experiences... So we try to be better, that's all. Sometimes passion connects people and together they manage to do something that is better than the capabilities of each single one... i think this is the case with AC.

We are learning from AC too. We learn that some people do not enjoy a product for what it is, but keep complaining because they want the product to be what their needs are. We don't have a problem with that, but we are also realizing we can't make everybody happy. When we do something that somebody wants, someone else complains because he liked it as it was before and vice versa... You can't make everybody happy, but we do try to make a quality product, that's all.

I always get a laugh from Kunos responses to problems I didn't know existed. If they have to put out press releases denying Tupac works for them, or they provided the textures for the moon landing, I'm not even going to bat an eyelash.

Seanspeed

Banned

Apparently was just a poorly fitted oil filler cap. Caused some oil spraying onto the exhaust and then caught fire. Wasn't a blown engine or anything and no serious damage.

I always get a laugh from Kunos responses to problems I didn't know existed. If they have to put out press releases denying Tupac works for them, or they provided the textures for the moon landing, I'm not even going to bat an eyelash.
Haha.

EDIT:

TJP

The gif above from the RD AC event comes from a video linkeed there too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VgF8cR0ja4

Info from the video taken from SimHQ - http://simhqmotorsports.com/forum/u...81/Re:_Assetto_Corsa_Press_Event_#Post3717081

0:46 KUNOS Simulazioni has its headquarters inside the Vallelunga autodrome, what are the advantages of this solution?
Marco: The main advantages are that you can do R&D in a very massive way, relying also on the fact that our presence here lets us to keep in touch not only with the car manifacturers but also with the main characters of the motorsport world, not only the pilots but also race engineers that often are more useful in our job because by cooperating with them we get to know exactly how the cars react on the racetrack, the performance, what kind of setup is being used and these factors allows us to create a better experience also in the physics and technical sector, you know... at high level

1:40 You mentioned some new modes and also career mode, when are they coming?
Marco: Starting from the last question: career mode will come in the 1.0RC of the game, which will come soon. It will let you to participate in a series of event, starting from the slower cars to finally reach the more intresting ones, the championships with the GTs. Speaking about the new modes: we have planned for the next year the relase of more contents, not only DLCs but additional free contents, new special events, a more predetermined career and a bunch of options that will not be in the v1.0 but will come later with free updates like extending the pitstop feature from a MP-only feature to SP too. Speaking of career mode we will have a series of events that will give a "family feeling" like the Gran Turismo series, to reach and make the game more enjoyable for the casual gamers and there will be a lot of special events available for your selection allowing a more customisable career instead of a fully predetermined one where you can take and choose different paths

3:10 What can you say about the future of Assetto Corsa? Will we receive updates of the damage model?
Marco: Speaking of the damage model the version that will come out soon will include full damage simulation both aestetical and mechanical, and damages will be toggleable, there will be different kind of damages: not only to suspension, engine and gearbox relating to the drivestyle or the collisions that may happen but also there will be damages related to what the driver does: this means that there might be punctures if you get too rough on the kerbs, especially with road cars that aren't meant for that.
This will give very realistic experience to the players

4:03 Assetto Corsa is an indie, what are the main challanges of this approach?
Marco: When the publishers started to look at us, we received a lot of proposals and they're still coming.
What we are doing with Assetto, especially with the PC version is continuing on the line that we've set in the beginning. The Early Access program from Steam has gone incredibily well, far exceeding our expectations and this has given us a lot of earnings. So we decided to continue our original path by reinvesting a good amount of our revenues in the acquisition of new licenses, new contents and expanding the team from the inital six to fifteen people, fifteen very good elements and crucial to the development of the game.
Our idea is to continue, maybe even while collaborating with the big companies, to pursue our initial goals by keeping our indipendence especially in the game design and what strategies to apply, by continuosely delivering to our customers, our fans what they expect

I always get a laugh from Kunos responses to problems I didn't know existed.
I didn't know 'who is bankrolling Kunos' was a thing either...apparently it is!

TJP

SimHQ have tweeted the following news from the Assetto Corsa press event (also featured on Race Department):

• "Assetto Corsa will continue to be enhanced after this 1.0 release at the end of Oct."
  • "Assetto Corsa Release Candidate due mid October. Final release version due out by end of October."

Taken from: https://twitter.com/simhqmotorsport

Shaneus

Apparently was just a poorly fitted oil filler cap. Caused some oil spraying onto the exhaust and then caught fire. Wasn't a blown engine or anything and no serious damage.
Ah, that's a relief. It looked bloody serious from just those few photos, glad they're not up for any costs because of it.

TJP

Another video taken from the RD press event thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnOqshQtNq8

Watch for Spa, La Ferrari (1:43) and a few other sneak peeks.

According to the YT comments an "..update will be released this Friday. 1.0 RC will be an update that will serve to fix any bugs 3gb!!! Damage Suits , 2 types of career, SPA, GTR, and much more"

Another video taken from the RD press event thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnOqshQtNq8

Watch for Spa, La Ferrari (1:43) and a few other sneak peeks.

According to the YT comments an "..update will be released this Friday. 1.0 RC will be an update that will serve to fix any bugs 3gb!!! Damage Suits , 2 types of career, SPA, GTR, and much more"

Wow, this Friday? Looks awesome.

Hey, have you, or anyone else seen even the slightest further mention of the original Spa layout that they said they scanned way back when?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...340573865968938.100344.305504559475869&type=1

Looking forward so much to Spa and the La Ferrari.

After messing around a bit more with the graphics settings I have settled for using 1 GPU in this game. SLI is broken in many ways (Decreasing certain settings actually cuts performance in half, etc.) Anyway, pretty much maxing it out on a single 970. As I want perfect 60 in replays and race starts, I had to lower the usual culprits a bit (smoke generation, faces per frame, cubemap res)
Pretty happy with the visuals and the performance now.

Top Bottom