• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

Seems like a marmite track - I don't care for it much either. I'd much prefer a unused gem of a track like the Sachsenring (which Sector 3 just added to RRE).

My man! Love Sachsenring. It doesn't even get much love in the real world. It's probably better suited for bikes than cars. It tends to eat riders for lunch, so maybe that's why it's not liked more.

I'm not sure I've ever even driven around it in a car sim, so I think I'll pick it up for RRE.

The new version includes an extended career with fully blown championship series’, new features, improved gameplay, new sound sets and sound effects, new and improved post-processing effects as well as several optimizations, including some important refinements in the physics department, an updated tyre model and force feedback guaranteeing an even better driving experience. Assetto Corsa 1.0 introduces also the new Alfa Romeo Giulietta 2014 Launch Edition, available as free bonus content and the sought after Ruf Yellowbird which will be available once again as free bonus content by the end of the year; when available, the game will be updated automatically on Steam.

One journey ends, another begins ; version 1.0 by no means indicates the end Assetto Corsa development, on the contrary, this is now just the beginning of a long journey. The development team is already working on new cars, tracks, features and content that will improve the Assetto Corsa experience even more. As a preview of what to expect, take 50 of the most highly anticipated sport cars and five new tracks, all produced and released as official licensed content in 2015, either in DLC packs or as free bonus content.
What are you waiting for? See you on track!

Once again, we would like to thank our fans and Early Access contributors for your support.

mrsmr2

I guess not, but I'm still not seeing the sense in it. What's the point of raising the price at all if they feel their best way to make money is to keep the game at a discount or put it on sale even further? While raw sales numbers are nice, making money is the important part. Trying to push sales with a bigger discount now is going to hurt sales of the full release.

So, V1 is officially out and it's in the sale.

I wonder if it will ever be the alleged full price of £39.99.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'd rather the whole team took a couple of months off than build Catalunya. What a waste of everyone's time.
I actually quite like the track. As an F1 fan, its definitely not one of my favorites as a spectator. But I think its a properly challenging and fast track to drive with some great corners.

Agree with Big Takeover that I could do with the chicane being ignored, though. Give me the MotoGP layout please. :)

Business

Anyone playing this in VR experiencing bad position tracking? I mean, the game framerate is silk smooth but when I move my head around the view suffers from a very low refresh rate as if the positional tracking was updated like 20 times per second only, or that's the feeling I get.

TJP

Preview picture from Marco of Kunos:

15885532088_7d91217bf6_o.jpg

I actually quite like the track. As an F1 fan, its definitely not one of my favorites as a spectator. But I think its a properly challenging and fast track to drive with some great corners.

Agree with Big Takeover that I could do with the chicane being ignored, though. Give me the MotoGP layout please. :)
I quite enjoy the two smaller circuits, just not the F1 layout.

UeMLaoc.jpg
CliJoCM.jpg

Hopefully Kunos can include those too, but I'm not holding my breath. The last time I recall seeing them was in Le Mans 24h on the Dreamcast (which also introduced me to the superb Suzuka West... 100x better than its more famous East cousin)

Business

That chicane was purely a concession to F1 to create an easier overtake opportunity at the end of the main straight. I agree too the classic layout is better.

Seanspeed

Banned

UeMLaoc.jpg
CliJoCM.jpg

Hopefully Kunos can include those too, but I'm not holding my breath.
If they've got the license for the track, I don't know why they wouldn't also include the shorter versions?

That chicane was purely a concession to F1 to create an easier overtake opportunity at the end of the main straight. I agree too the classic layout is better.
Yea, except the main problem with overtaking at Barcelona is the super short braking zone at Turn 1. I can see what they were thinking with the change, but it should have been painfully obvious after a few years that it changed nothing.

What it did do was create a more 'balanced' track in terms of setup requirements and types of corners, though. Which makes it a favourite for the teams when it comes time to test.

Awww man.

Finally got around to trying out 1.0 and I'm very much enjoying the changes they've implemented to the vehicle handling. Finally, more care needs to be taken when putting your foot down on corner exit. The AI though? Still a long way to go sadly.

Can't wait to try out the 787b! Just a bit bummed the rF2 version has been stuck on 0.3 for over a year.
If they've got the license for the track, I don't know why they wouldn't also include the shorter versions?
There was a post on AC's forum a couple of months back explaining that the reason the short versions of Monza and Mugello are not in AC was due to them having separate licenses from the main circuit. Hopefully that's not the case with Catalunya and we get the club layouts too.

Edit: it's so weird editing posts and not having to refresh the page.

Business

Yea, except the main problem with overtaking at Barcelona is the super short braking zone at Turn 1. I can see what they were thinking with the change, but it should have been painfully obvious after a few years that it changed nothing.

What it did do was create a more 'balanced' track in terms of setup requirements and types of corners, though. Which makes it a favourite for the teams when it comes time to test.

Awww man.

Have to disagree it didn't help at all, making the last corner slower will allow cars to be closer without losing aero grip and regardless of other factors, this no doubt helps. I also think people with more experience and more data thought about it for longer than you (and me) did :)

Disagree on the last part too, Catalunya has been a favourite for testing way before that layout change and not only for it's layout, that is being in Europe, actually being in the F1 calendar and having decent weather in February/March.

SourSamo

Just grabbed this on sale, been itching for a new PC racer after kicking myself for not getting into Project Cars way back when.

Anything I should know?

Zaphod

UeMLaoc.jpg
CliJoCM.jpg

Hopefully Kunos can include those too, but I'm not holding my breath. The last time I recall seeing them was in Le Mans 24h on the Dreamcast (which also introduced me to the superb Suzuka West... 100x better than its more famous East cousin)

That's funny, Le Mans is what introduced me to Catalunya. I love the version of the track in that game.

Seanspeed

Banned
Edit: it's so weird editing posts and not having to refresh the page.
God I know. Its great!

Have to disagree it didn't help at all, making the last corner slower will allow cars to be closer without losing aero grip and regardless of other factors, this no doubt helps. I also think people with more experience and more data thought about it for longer than you (and me) did :)

Disagree on the last part too, Catalunya has been a favourite for testing way before that layout change and not only for it's layout, that is being in Europe, actually being in the F1 calendar and having decent weather in February/March.
Well yea, on-paper, it should help. But it didn't. Lots of things that many smart people worked for a long time on that should have worked on paper, but didn't. One of the problems with slow corners leading onto longer straights is that while yea, it gets rid of a lot of the aero disadvantage of following, in return it disadvantages cars with lesser mechanical grip and/or acceleration compared to the car in front. It also means that there's a shorter length of the straight where the slipstream effect is achieving optimum effect, meaning the cars have to spend a portion of the straight just getting into that effective zone.

And yea, Barcelona has been a testing track for a while, but its not a one trick pony track anymore. Engineers have talked about how its made it a more challenging track to prepare for and how the last sector is a good proving ground for a car's mechanical traction capabilities. I'd bet quite a bit of money that if you'd ask the teams(not the drivers!) if they wanted to revert back, they'd say no.

microtubule

Wow the Yellow Bird looks good but can't believe I am saying this but wish it was released with the 'ring. In the meantime I'll just have to be content with swinging it around Spa.

I only ever used to drive the Miura and 312T, but the Yellow Bird has become my 3rd AC regular. I'm very much enjoying the instability under heavy braking and its amazing yaw angles.

What are people's thoughts on the 787b? They look wonderful but I find myself quite 'disconnected' from the driving experience and haven't found them very pleasurable.

Watevaman

What are people's thoughts on the 787b? They look wonderful but I find myself quite 'disconnected' from the driving experience and haven't found them very pleasurable.

I've only used the stock setup and haven't given it more than 10 laps at Spa, so I'm not too experienced, but it feels ok to me. My main problem is it's hard to tell when the car is going to break loose and it's hard to fix it when it does. Through the corners it feels pretty planted, though. It's not the most fun to drive (and it's my favorite car), but it gets the job done.

Arucardo

The Yellowbird is a real joy to drive. I also made a video of lapping Snoopy's version of Nordschleife on both the 90's Street tires and the Semi-Slicks, posting both as soon as I'm done uploading :) .

I actually found the default setup to be really good and the car behaved as I expected under braking, you can definitely see the difference the tires make in my videos (to me at least). Never really found the confidence to push the car with the street tires but the semi-slicks were a blast to drive with.

EDIT: Here are the clips

90's Street tires: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28xNakpyWFE

Semi-slicks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKBC_z2Nxrs

Might still be processing but I uploaded in 1080p 60fps ;) (should eventually be displayed as such)

digi

Neo Member
hi
Comparison of Corsican assetto with normal graphics compared to the Mod Inanimate Carbon which gives a more realistic color and saturation.

greeting

The Yellowbird is fantastic. Couldn't be happier with it. Agreed that the default setup is a bit frisky under braking, but I wouldn't have it otherwise. Car is a beast. Have only been driving it on the Street90s tires. It's especially fun up Bergrennen with the shortest gears, and of course around the 'ring.

I'm not sure of the legitimacy of their sources, but Ebisu's drift stadium course is available (in wet and dry varieties) as well as an FC RX-7 drift car, which easily tops the list of mod cars I've tried so far. They're excellent together. There's also an S13 available, but it's nowhere near as good as the FC. Takes me back to my Yuke's D1GP days on PS2, but of course 10x better on every level. The only problem with the FC is that I couldn't find a newer version with FMOD sound files, so if you want sound, you'll have to copy a sound file over from an up-to-date car that sounds similar enough, rename the sound file, and edit up a copy of the GUIDs.txt file accordingly to go in the same directory. I'm using the Lotus 98T sounds for the 20b turbo version of the FC--works well enough!

Arucardo

So far my best lap on Snoopy's Nordschleife with the Yellowbird is 8:08:xxx , still haven't cracked that 8 minute lap time :( . (with semislicks ofc)

Jilt

Someone made a good point in the comments, they're only talking about announcements and not actual releases. I think they'll announce something massive... maybe Porsche license? Maybe weather? Console version?!?

True, but one can hope, or as Wax says, Believe!! ;-)
Porsche license, if only!! EA still has those rights, don't believe they share.....
Console version was blown away, aswell as weather.
They probably announce the release date of the Dream pack and it's contents. It's supposed to be the Nordschleife, maybe with the V spec and 24 spec?
Then ten cars..... Nissan GT-R, GT3, Alfa DTM, etc?!

Arucardo

I'm gonna put so much time in to driving the laser scanned nordschleife. I finally learned the whole track (as in I know exactly what's coming and can push cars much harder with confidence).

Three60

Assetto Corsa welcomes Lamborghini Automobili

Dear AC followers,
this has been a really great year, and we want to finish at the best possible way. We are proud to announce the official license of Lamborghini Automobili in Assetto Corsa, with a selection of the most beautiful, powerful and iconic models of the prestigious Italian Car Manufacturer. With the addition of Lamborghini, Audi, Toyota, Nissan, Alfa Romeo, Ford and many other contents, Assetto Corsa will bring you the best selection of GT, sportcars and prototypes ever seen in a racing simulation.
Reproducing the cars of an iconic brand like Lamborghini Automobili is a huge honour for us, as well as a very important message to our fans: the decision to make such a huge investment after Assetto Corsa has been released, is the result of our strong believe in this project and in this community. It also means that in the mid future you can expect developments for Assetto Corsa that go well beyond the generic "additional contents".
As said before, the version 1.0 of Assetto Corsa signifies not just the long-term achievement but also a new start.
Our team is already working on contents and features that are scheduled for release during 2015. Some of those have yet to be unveiled, but we are excited about them and confident that we will amaze you once again. Finally, with the inclusion of the Lamborghini license, about fifty additional cars officially licensed will be included in Assetto Corsa during 2015!
You probably already know all about the first additional package as it is the most anticipated by the community, and we bet you want to know more about it: the Dream pack, featuring the Nordschleife official circuit, for the first time fully based on Laserscan technology, will be a total blast! Your racing experience will be elevated to a brand new level. The production and testing of this package has required a huge work, resources and manpower, but we are sure you will appreciate it, turn by turn, curb by curb. Starting next week, we'll share with all our fans the work in progress and the news about the state of completion of the track and the ten awesome cars included in the package, namely the Alfa Romeo's 4c, 155 DTM and GTA, the McLaren's P1 and F1 GTR, the Nissan GT-R Nismo 2014 GT3, the GM Corvette C7R GTE, the Mercedes 190 DTM and Sauber-C9 and the BMW M235iRacing VLN. We will also inform you about pre-order, price and release date.
Someone says that good things need time. Thank you for your patience and your support, as always all our efforts are focused to improve your Assetto Corsa experience even more.
Welcome, Lamborghini. Welcome, 2015!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsowgkDYPE4

Top Bottom