• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

Skyzard

Banned
I'm having a lot of fun with a wheel and this. Shit loads of fun in fact.

This mod is pretty cool:
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/telemetry-–-corners-performance-analysis.79214/
Tells you the speed at which you enter and exit corners and if you beat your session best.

I'm not 100% I'm remembering this correctly but I used to see an image floating about of lines going through the track (simple jaggy lines) to indicate the line you took on the previous or best lap, and it was colour coded so if you were going faster it would be green or something like that. I had a look all over for it but I can't find the mod, or the pic. Anyone come across it?

bj00rn_

Banned
I thought this was pretty neat simulation. Dude blows La Ferrari engine, and continues on under battery power until drained. It even continues to gain juice under braking. The electronics would probably shut the whole car down if this happened, but I think this is theoretically possible.

Heh, a couple of days ago I did this in the same car and thought it was a bug when I noticed I could keep on going (using my DK2, didn't have any additional hud on the screen)..

AU Tiger

Not sure if discussed yet but I tried playing this weekend and only was seeing about 30% GPU utilization in afterburner. Frame rate was obviously in the tank.

I tried rebooting and it didn't fix it. I'm using the latest Nvidia drivers and it's the only game doing this. I double checked and pcars pegs the GPU at 100%.

:(

Soi-Fong

2 of my cousins became believers of VR having tried out the La Ferrari with my G27. Just put them on a drag track and let them loose.

Immediately asked me where they could buy one, that sorta thing.

They had much fun trying to press virtual dials and failing at it. Lol

bee

well all the messing about with primary screens etc had reset the options, nice one zeth for the reminder, setting it back to oculus did the trick. it's definitely as amazing as everyone says it is, this is why i sold my triple setup, the oculus completely blows it out of the water, much more immersive and it makes the game easier for me, seems like my brain can correlate what's happening with my hands and what's on the screen better, hard to describe

I'd still say the overall implementation of lfs is better but there's no contest looks wise, playing it maxed with zero judder it looks really great although the distant road can be a little muddy looking

it's still very buggy though, just now it stopped detecting the rift and went back to panning around the car even though the render mode is still set to oculus, totally worth the hassle though

Zeth

well all the messing about with primary screens etc had reset the options, nice one zeth for the reminder, setting it back to oculus did the trick. it's definitely as amazing as everyone says it is, this is why i sold my triple setup, the oculus completely blows it out of the water, much more immersive and it makes the game easier for me, seems like my brain can correlate what's happening with my hands and what's on the screen better, hard to describe

I'd still say the overall implementation of lfs is better but there's no contest looks wise, playing it maxed with zero judder it looks really great although the distant road can be a little muddy looking

it's still very buggy though, just now it stopped detecting the rift and went back to panning around the car even though the render mode is still set to oculus, totally worth the hassle though

Glad you got it up and running!

It's absolutely bare bones. But what's there is so great already - it's exciting how much potential it has.

Soi-Fong

That panning around is from time attack mode. Switch to a race or hot lap.

Am I imagining things or are the 1.0 RC cars much much easier to drive? I can't get power oversteer in anything but Senna's Lotus. Even the 312T, my favourite car from a few months ago does nothing when floored in 2nd gear at half lock. All assist are off and I'm utterly bored.

Is this issue local to my machine? Do any of you guys suffer from the same problem? I can't get the cars to rev as freely as the used to. I've checked my pedal calibrations and everything is going to 100%, but there seems to be some sort of invisible traction control keeping me from going sideways :(

Am I imagining things or are the 1.0 RC cars much much easier to drive? I can't get power oversteer in anything but Senna's Lotus. Even the 312T, my favourite car from a few months ago does nothing when floored in 2nd gear at half lock. All assist are off and I'm utterly bored.

Is this issue local to my machine? Do any of you guys suffer from the same problem? I can't get the cars to rev as freely as the used to. I've checked my pedal calibrations and everything is going to 100%, but there seems to be some sort of invisible traction control keeping me from going sideways :(

Semi-longshot - I've had an issue before where a wonky pot was causing my clutch to partially engage. Try increasing the minimum travel away from zero.

Dave_6

After the update it had reverted all my assist settings and I also had to recalibrate my wheel in the game options.

Skyzard

Banned
NnnwYyM.jpg

Doable!

TJP

The blown LaFerrari engine video is excellent. Not sure if that's how it would work in real world but I think it's ace.

Zeth

Lake Louise Loop just got some great updates that drastically improve fps. Previously it was one of the most taxing tracks in AC. Highly recommended. I can put some music on and just drive for hours around this track. Beautiful sights, and challenging - well designed roads.

bj00rn_

Banned
Lake Louise Loop just got some great updates that drastically improve fps. Previously it was one of the most taxing tracks in AC. Highly recommended. I can put some music on and just drive for hours around this track. Beautiful sights, and challenging - well designed roads.

That's good. I struggled yesterday to get it judder-free on my DK2.. The problem I personally have with "Lake Louise" is that for some reason when I drive at 200 km/h, it feels like 50 km/h (even in VR at 75 fps)..

That's good. I struggled yesterday to get it judder-free on my DK2.. The problem I personally have with "Lake Louise" is that for some reason when I drive at 200 km/h, it feels like 50 km/h (even in VR at 75 fps)..

It seemed like a good candidate for Oculus sightseeing in the Cobra, but seeing as it's a frame hog I wondered if I'd be able to *cough* keep it up. You've got brand new hardware too, right?

My DK2 arrives today. I guess I'll know where I stand soon enough.

Soi-Fong

So I turned my cousin into a believer of VR through this game and now he's telling anyone he knows about the Rift... And they all want to come to my house to try this out...

Skyzard

Banned
I do too tbh.

I'm pretty sure it's only running at 60fps for me as I get some slight judder, which is annoying.

I'm getting used to it more though and am having a heck of a lot of fun but I just wish it was as smooth as in Grid Autosport which is so great at 75fps. But it's not AC...and the interiors lol.

But yeah, 780ti 4770K @ 4.4, usually get 25 AI on a track with high settings and hit 60fps locked for the majority of it but with this, even on really low settings and no AI I feel like it's locked to 60 (although I can't seem to tell for sure since no fraps on the rift that I can figure out).

Also sweetfx isn't working for me. I could have sworn it was working recently though. Perhaps due to the latest runtime.

Jilt

So I joined an online race today in Assetto Corsa. My experience thus far is that there is not a lot of clean driving.
Well, maybe so, but if you can anticipate and drive clean yourself, it is major fun anyway.
This race I qualified with a 2.21.9 with the Z4 ninth, with much faster guys in front, driving 2.16 -2.19's.
Being consistent is always the key, with a dose of luck and anticipation, so I finished forth.
Especially the beginning is tense, after that it become #Eatsleepracerepeat ;-)

Then a note of criticism:
In Assetto Corsa the damage system is a bit overdone. I got hit in the rear, well it was more of a nudge. My windscreens front and rear cracked up, the rear fender almost fell off and the rear wing went crooked. I think this is something the Kunos Team has to work on. Otherwise, keep it up Kunos guys, because I love this game.

Video: http://youtu.be/kvJVHDWXNVU

Zeth

From the AC Facebook page:

The best is yet to come. You are supporting us so much, we'll continue to surprise you. A bright future is waiting for our great fans. Assetto Corsa welcomes the official Ford Motor Company License!
10714460_996694340356884_7203825586320042222_o.jpg

Soi-Fong

I do too tbh.

I'm pretty sure it's only running at 60fps for me as I get some slight judder, which is annoying.

I'm getting used to it more though and am having a heck of a lot of fun but I just wish it was as smooth as in Grid Autosport which is so great at 75fps. But it's not AC...and the interiors lol.

But yeah, 780ti 4770K @ 4.4, usually get 25 AI on a track with high settings and hit 60fps locked for the majority of it but with this, even on really low settings and no AI I feel like it's locked to 60 (although I can't seem to tell for sure since no fraps on the rift that I can figure out).

Also sweetfx isn't working for me. I could have sworn it was working recently though. Perhaps due to the latest runtime.

Use MsI Afterburner. You can alter where the framerate and such goed.

TJP

SimHQ are making a scratch made Barbagallo: http://simhqmotorsports.com/forum/u...52/Re:_New_AC_track:_Barbagallo_R#Post3718552

WIP video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7z7_rQKV6c

Darren_Blythe said:
No real secrets tbh. Basic layout from google earth. Height/elevation data from Nasa SRTM dtabase which can be used to generate a displacement map for the terrain mesh. As for fine tuning the layout and creating environment - well that's countless hours watching videos and gathering screenshots.

Collecting accurate reference material is the longest part of the process by far. Especially with a track like Barbagallo because it's not that well known outside V8 circles and it recently underwent a major redevelopment which means up to date reference material was very thin on the ground.

No shortcuts, just shedloads of donkeywork, cross referencing and testing until it looks and feels right.

Modelling done in 3DSMax (never been a fan of max but it's really the only option for getting seamless workflow in/out of sims). Most of the textures are hand drawn in photoshop, some i already had from previous projects and some (such as logos) are from the internet. Often these are too low res so i'll convert them into vector images so i can scale them up.

You're right about the amount of effort in doing something like this - especially when 90% of everything is designed from scratch. From conception to release I reckon l'll be close to 1000hrs

As you know, Kunos's engine is impressive in so many ways but it lacks support for any real environment immersion.

I'd like the ability to turn objects on and off between sessions, support for multiple layouts without having to duplicate assets, more parameters for audio objects (to actually make them useful), much better support for collidable objects (weight, inertia, density), more control over particle effects, definable tyre wear per surface, animation support (preferably with the ability to be triggered), separate pit and garage positions, per track lighting/clouds/fog and flag rules with the ability to alter objects/lights depending the level of caution.

It might seem like a lot but the gmotor sims have done most of this for 10 years. Hopefully we'll get there in time.

full-19230-49998-14.png

For the most part its definitely useable with a 360 controller.

I obviously can't guarantee you'll enjoy it, though. ;)

I'm going to get a steering wheel later down the road but right now I have to stick with my X360 Controller. I know it's not going to be as enjoyable as steering wheel but I just wanna know maybe someone around here stuck with controller as well and still having fun time with this game :)

anddo0

Will I enjoy this game with X360 Controller?

I play with a 360/PS4 controller. It works well enough.

I don't know what changed, but the latest build feels much better using a controller. It feels less twitchy. I can maintain steady lines coming out of corners without feeling like I'm fighting the controls. It had to have been tweaked. The controller never felt this good.

Zeth

I mounted my Oculus sensor on the wall, so the horizon no longer wobbles due to my shitty korean monitor's stand. Awesome upgrade heh.

I've been spending my entire weekends driving in VR - it is truly bliss. My biggest hope right now is for a(even crude) UI implementation to get access to car setups in VR. I keep hoping to see something pop up in the UI mods forum, but I'm not sure it's even possible.

Anyone else using DK2 - do you ever find that you need to adjust your head position slightly when recentering to get a better head placement? I'm sure it varies depending on setup. For example. I sometimes lean my head back a foot or so and recenter so that my viewpoint is closer to the wheel for a more realistic position. Or just lean left/right slightly to line my "head" up with my neck or the wheel.

I mounted my Oculus sensor on the wall, so the horizon no longer wobbles due to my shitty korean monitor's stand. Awesome upgrade heh.

I've been spending my entire weekends driving in VR - it is truly bliss. My biggest hope right now is for a(even crude) UI implementation to get access to car setups in VR. I keep hoping to see something pop up in the UI mods forum, but I'm not sure it's even possible.

Anyone else using DK2 - do you ever find that you need to adjust your head position slightly when recentering to get a better head placement? I'm sure it varies depending on setup. For example. I sometimes lean my head back a foot or so and recenter so that my viewpoint is closer to the wheel for a more realistic position. Or just lean left/right slightly to line my "head" up with my neck or the wheel.
Yes, I tend to lean a bit more forward of my normal seating position as I hit the centre button, and it seems to vary by car. Not really a big deal with practice it takes a couple of tries at most. It's very clear when it doesn't look right - I tend to look to the side and down slightly to see if my virtual shoulder is where I'd expect it to be.

Top Bottom