• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro bot is the best game of this generation.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
There is so much goodness to say about this game.

*Fun is at the fore front here. No contracts to scroll through on boot up, no DLC shoved down your throat, No virtue signaling any messages. Just a pure good time here. Pick up your controller and get ready to smile. This is what I imagined Nintendo could do if you gave them this kind of horsepower.

*EYE SEX: I play this on my 65 inch Samsung Oled and damn it makes the ladies cream. Super high resolution (4k or close) Razor sharp insanely detailed textures, Silky smooth framerate, lots of variety and different scenery.

*Dual Sense interaction is really something every gamer should experience. No game since the original has come close to what Astro Bot is doing with the Dual Sense here. The feeling of walking through Sand, water, and other environments is a quirky yet fun experience. There is nothing like it.

*Perfect Pace and gameplay balance. If you like the challenge you can go for the harder goals but if you just want to get the easy ones that is an option too. The hint system that shows you all the secrets is also pretty slick.

*Insane Physics: Walking through hundreds of cans, or big ballons, or collecting metal with your magnetic wand or so many more examples is just pure craziness. Again a really unique and rare experience that takes advantage of those zen 2 cpu cores.

I could keep going but this is the type of game I was expecting when I purchased a PS5. A super fun experience on a scale I have never experienced before. This is Playstations Mario Galaxy. A pure Masterpiece!

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's a ton of fun and I'm really enjoying it. I don't know that I would call it my game of the generation. If 3D platformers are your jam I can see it being your favorite this generation, though.

Chill Relax GIF

Kronark

Neo Member
I don't doubt that Astro Bot is a good or otherwise excellent game... Probably a GotY contender with the coverage I've seen. But game of the generation? For what is essentially a fairly competent mario redo? After Elden Ring and Baldur's Gate 3 just dropped the prior two years?

I know the modern 6-8 year dev cycles have left the PS5 feeling like a content desert but that does not make the first water you run into gold, you might just be thirsty.

Hrk69

Gold Member
You are really deluding yourself if you don't think this game is going to get a ton of GOTY awards. The reviews and hype alone are going to guarantee that. You simply not liking this type of game really doesn't make a lot of difference.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live
You are acting like GOTY awards are something special

Fucking Starfield won GOTY awards

I'm dumb.

Last edited:

Sooner

It might be the best platformer, though I really like Mario Odyssey and Wonder too (assuming Switch is considered same generation as PS5).

Elden Ring is GOTG though.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Maybe? But more so it’s a well timed game and breath of fresh air. After Concord and Outlaws negative receptions after layoffs and drama. It’s benefiting like Animal crossing did in some ways.

It very well could be goty if games continue to flop left and right.

Topher

Gold Member
I've seen multiple outlets who gave it GOTY. Can't remember which ones

Google is your friend :)

I don't think any major outlets gave Starfield GOTY, tbh. Won Xbox Game of the Year from Golden Joystick, but other than an Honorable Mention form GDC I don't even see any nominations for GOTY.

7NsdprX.png

Having said that, some more obscure websites have have given it the award, but don't think that's what you are referring to, is it?

Last edited:
AstroBot is in the top 3 this gen easily, and for me personally platformers with a ton of soul and love have a very high ranking and they are exceedingly rare. Souls games are now more common and FROM has churned out a lot of them over the years

So I can see how it would be GOTG. Astro is just one of those rare experiences that transcends generations and we will be talking about it decades from now

Pimpbaa

Best Sony published game this generation and GOTY is Stellar Blade! Astro’s Playroom being boring as hell doesn’t exactly make me wanna get Astrobot. Hating every non Mario 3D platformers ever made doesn’t help either. I think Balder’s Gate 3 will get far more game of the generation votes (I like it, but it’s not my favorite of the generation).

Hrk69

Gold Member
I don't think any major outlets gave Starfield GOTY, tbh. Won Xbox Game of the Year from Golden Joystick, but other than an Honorable Mention form GDC I don't even see any nominations for GOTY.

7NsdprX.png

Having said that, some more obscure websites have have given it the award, but don't think that's what you are referring to, is it?
I tried searching too but couldn't find anything

Guess I'm wrong about this one. I swear there was a thread or post about it a while ago. Maybe I mixed it up with a different game.

My bad <3

GHG

Gold Member
I tried searching too but couldn't find anything

Guess I'm wrong about this one. I swear there was a thread or post about it a while ago. Maybe I mixed it up with a different game.

My bad <3

Yeh of the major awards it only won "xbox game of the year", which pretty much sums up the situation overall.

Astrobot has been well received by both the press and (more importantly) by gamers who are playing the game. It's not one of those situations where the game is better received by the press than it is gamers, which always raises a few eyebrows.

Top Bottom