• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro bot is the best game of this generation.

Quantum253

Gold Member
Its Uncharted level, it trying replicate free shooting you do in actual game.....Also not all enemies you can melee or jump on them.

There is also challenge levels really test your precision......again play the game before making poor assumptions.
There are also interactive aspects, without spoiling, that I didn't expect and yet made the experience even better

Way too many great third party games were released this gen. I think it’s Sony best first party game released this gen. There’s just too many great games to pick a GOTG at this point.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
2024 was supposed to be the "off year for Sony."

And this year's GOTY list of 6 games will likely have 4 PS5 console exclusives.

You can also tell that Totoki seems pretty confident about 2026 and 2027.

If there was an off year it was 2023, but hard to criticize a year where you release a game that sells 10+ million copies.

But Helldivers 2 + Astro Bot will go down as one of the best years in Sony history. We'll see how things shape up with Until Dawn and Lego Horizon. I wish they had made Lego Horizon 4 player instead of 2 and obviously, the Ballistic Moon layoffs aren't a great sign for Until Dawn.

Narratives do so much work. This is supposed to have been a weak generation too, but look what Sony did in 2022: Ragnarok, Horizon, GT7, TLOUP1, then in 2020 they released Ghost of Tsushima, TLOUP2, Miles Morales, and. Demon's Souls...

No other company is held to a higher standard and maybe that's a good thing.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Truth Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Just to add clarification. It's the best ps5 game this gen and by that I mean astro is a true next gen game. It uses every magic part of the ps5 where the game just wouldn't be the same anywhere else.

Last edited:
OP speaks the truth. The competition has never been so weak, this generation has been absolutely abysmal apart from Baldur's Gate 3, Demon's Souls and Ratchet basically but yeah, Astro Bot is the shit.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I hope so! I’m trying not to watch/read about it until I actually play it, but I’m waiting for the Pro, so it’ll be a month or two. I’m super excited to try it out. Platformers are my favorite genre!

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's definitely the best 3D platformer I've played since Super Mario Galaxy 2, or maybe 3D World.

My minor gripes with it are, I suppose, that it's SO easy and a bit light on content. I'm not actually done yet, but it seems shorter than those Mario games. And yes, I know, game length is not a measure of game quality, but this game is so much fun that I wish it was 10 worlds long. I just don't want it to end.

I suppose you could argue the best so far but we got a few years left yet and a certain sequel to the biggest gaming franchise in history is coming.

Hudo

I respectfully disagree. But I am happy for PS5 owners that they are finally getting a good platformer.

Its Uncharted level, it trying replicate free shooting you do in actual game.....Also not all enemies you can melee or jump on them.

There is also challenge levels really test your precision......again play the game before making poor assumptions.
Wish you had a better argument than this.

Keep in mind I am nitpicking and trying to break down the game to its parts cause its a GOTG thread. Am sure it is a fun game. But has to undergo some scrutiny for GOTG claim.

• LOL
Reactions: GHG

Ogbert

Gold Member
It’s assuredly Game of the Year.

I’d put it in Top 5 games of this generation. It’s certainly my favourite PS5 game.

IAmRei

I think its too hyperbole to said that...

This game might be great, but still, You guys just like getting lot of bad western AAA games these years, and suddenly got AstroBot as normal great game, and said astrobot is best game this gen.

I got it, its a great game (hey its japan btw) but definetely not the best one this gen.

Senua

There is so much goodness to say about this game.

*Fun is at the fore front here. No contracts to scroll through on boot up, no DLC shoved down your throat, No virtue signaling any messages. Just a pure good time here. Pick up your controller and get ready to smile. This is what I imagined Nintendo could do if you gave them this kind of horsepower.

*EYE SEX: I play this on my 65 inch Samsung Oled and damn it makes the ladies cream. Super high resolution (4k or close) Razor sharp insanely detailed textures, Silky smooth framerate, lots of variety and different scenery.

*Dual Sense interaction is really something every gamer should experience. No game since the original has come close to what Astro Bot is doing with the Dual Sense here. The feeling of walking through Sand, water, and other environments is a quirky yet fun experience. There is nothing like it.

*Perfect Pace and gameplay balance. If you like the challenge you can go for the harder goals but if you just want to get the easy ones that is an option too. The hint system that shows you all the secrets is also pretty slick.

*Insane Physics: Walking through hundreds of cans, or big ballons, or collecting metal with your magnetic wand or so many more examples is just pure craziness. Again a really unique and rare experience that takes advantage of those zen 2 cpu cores.

I could keep going but this is the type of game I was expecting when I purchased a PS5. A super fun experience on a scale I have never experienced before. This is Playstations Mario Galaxy. A pure Masterpiece!

63679c8ada4a105e3c47e433b52fafa1.jpg

Markio128

Gold Member
I absolutely adore the game, but to me, it’s just another fantastic game on top of a few others that I have played this gen, on various platforms.

I’d say more importantly, Astrobot could start a new trend in the AAA space.

Those saying that this gen hasn’t been/isn’t great are either losing their love for gaming, or jumping the gun a little, considering it is far from over.

Mownoc

It is for me personally. There's a few other options but not many if we're discounting cross-gen.

Ordered by Metacritic the following are the best games of this generation:

1. Baldur's Gate 3
2. Astro Bot
3. Resident Evil 4
4. FF VII Rebirth
5. Demon's Souls

3 of the top 5 are PlayStation exclusive. 🥳

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Wish you had a better argument than this.

Keep in mind I am nitpicking and trying to break down the game to its parts cause its a GOTG thread. Am sure it is a fun game. But has to undergo some scrutiny for GOTG claim.
I just can’t explain how great the controls and gameplay feels without playing the game yourself.

I don’t know what else to tell you….if you want nitpick and make poor assumptions then knock yourself out.

Mownoc

Looks fun. Haven't played the game but man, I doubt it's better than Elden Ring.
I think the OP needed to clarify what games he thinks qualifies for this title lol. Because there's a lot of strong contenders if we include cross-gen titles. But if he's not including those for GOTG, which is valid I feel, then there's a lot less competition. Only Baldur's Gate 3 reviewed better for non cross-gen titles.

Personally I wouldn't include cross-gen titles for GOTG either.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Looks fun. Haven't played the game but man, I doubt it's better than Elden Ring.
I play Astro Bot for different experiences than when I play Elden Ring, I would say they both equally good what they try to achieve.

This why I don’t calling ONE game GOTG, different game give me different type of enjoyment.

I think the OP needed to clarify what games he thinks qualifies for this title lol. Because there's a lot of strong contenders if we include cross-gen titles. But if he's not including those for GOTG, which is valid I feel, then there's a lot less competition. Only Baldur's Gate 3 reviewed better for non cross-gen titles.

Just include something like It Takes Two and Psychonauts 2.

We can take it from there.

If its a really good game, it could be competitive with them. Or maybe beat them slightly if its true GOTG candidate.

BG3 and rest will come much later.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

Why wouldn't you include them? They were released during the generation.

Plus I think we should consider the qualities of the games beyond the review scores. Those don't have any value if you ask me, it's like asking Polygon or IGN which is the best game out there lol.

Mownoc

Just include something like It Takes Two and Psychonauts 2.

We can take it from there.

If its a really good game, it could be competitive with them. Or maybe beat them slightly if its true GOTG candidate.

BG3 and rest will come much later.
Both those games are cross-gen so not sure why you bring them up after quoting my post lol. Anyway.

JmfOt3N.png

Mownoc

Plus I think we should consider the qualities of the games beyond the review scores. Those don't have any value if you ask me, it's like asking Polygon or IGN which is the best game out there lol.
Well review aggregators are one of a few ways to collect many opinions. You could also poll users. But a single forum users opinion isn't really that valuable. It's basically just "This is GOTG because I Mownoc think so."

CGNoire

Threads like this that try and Solidify there Subjective Opinions as Objective Fact while using GOTY awards as some type of Proof are so Cringe.

"More People Agree with me than Agree with You!".......uuggggghhh

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Well review aggregators are one of a few ways to collect many opinions. You could also poll users. But a single forum users opinion isn't really that valuable. It's basically just "This is GOTG because I Mownoc think so."
I'd rather hear Mownoc's opinion on why the game is so cool than whatever a "journalist" thinks of the game.

Honestly I don't understand why people still give credit to review scores, they've been proven many times to be worth jack shit like during Cyberpunk's initial release, or Deathloop's release, or Hogwart's or many others.

And since you bring the subject in another post. Yes, I think all major publishers pay good cash for review scores.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I'd rather hear Mownoc's opinion on why the game is so cool than whatever a "journalist" thinks of the game.

Honestly I don't understand why people still give credit to review scores, they've been proven many times to be worth jack shit like during Cyberpunk's initial release, or Deathloop's release, or Hogwart's or many others.
I would say fuck the review scores or metacritic or even user reviews….I only trust my taste and my taste alone.

I ordered Astro Bot before the review came for it because it looked super fun and I knew would enjoy it and I was right trusting my taste.

I’m not even saying reviews or YouTube reviews are “wrong”, they have their own taste in games and I have mine.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
This is typical of Gaf games only been out days and it's a GOTG candidate? Give me a break, this is it's honeymoon period, let's see who's talking about this 6 months from now.

This is the typical GAF post that thinks it's clever but is actually, deliciously stupid. Who is still talking about BG3? Only those who just started playing it recently (or haven't stopped playing, big game after all). Who is still talking about Mario Wonder? Same thing. Who is still talking about Rebirth? Same thing. Who is still talking about [FILL IN THE BLANK WITH WHATEVER GAME YOU WANT] 6 months later? Same thing. So if you define "still talking" as *dominating conversation and attention* 6 months later then news flash, NO GAME meets that criteria and the criteria was never necessary to put a game up as a GOTG contender in the first place.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

Best game of the generation.. wow, that's high praise. Looking forward to play it at some point, but will keep my expectations a bit lower than that.

I have a feeling that Plucky Squire is gonna give it tough competition for best platformer this year. That game looks really cool!

This is the typical GAF post that thinks it's clever but is actually, deliciously stupid. Who is still talking about BG3? Only those who just started playing it recently (or haven't stopped playing, big game after all). Who is still talking about Mario Wonder? Same thing. Who is still talking about Rebirth? Same thing. Who is still talking about [FILL IN THE BLANK WITH WHATEVER GAME YOU WANT] 6 months later? Same thing. So if you define "still talking" as *dominating conversation and attention* 6 months later then news flash, NO GAME meets that criteria and the criteria was never necessary to put a game up as a GOTG contender in the first place.
Well the point is we are literally just after launch and the GOTG talk is a little premature don't you think?

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Well the point is we are literally just after launch and the GOTG talk is a little premature don't you think?

So there should be an arbitrary period of time after a game releases at which point people can feel free to declare it a GOTG contender? Once someone thoroughly plays through and finishes a game they can now form an overall opinion in contrast to *all the other* games they thoroughly played and finished whether we are talking for that year for GOTY or that gen for GOTG. That's why I like to quantify my statements, some have receipts to back up what they say, most don't and are just blowing hot air for attention or trolling.

People immediately declared ToTK a GOTG upon completing it, cool. Elden Ring (still my GOTG frontrunner) same thing, cool. BG3 same thing, cool. When it comes to some games it's *self-evident* when we're dealing with a certain caliber of quality, the best games ever made will not be universally loved and will always have their naysayers.

I tried searching too but couldn't find anything

Guess I'm wrong about this one. I swear there was a thread or post about it a while ago. Maybe I mixed it up with a different game.

My bad <3
What sucks here is that the burden of proof should have been on you from the moment you were asked. Instead, "Google is your friend" is a particularly lazy move after dropping your bullshit.

No offence intended though, especially since you apologized. Just a reminder that we can always verify sources before asserting shit and wasting other people's time.

<3

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I love it, but all I see is Nintendo rip offs left and right and I would have to knock off points for that Even small things like the caterpillar enemy is a copy of a wigler from Mario. There is pikmin gameplay, even ARMS!

I will say that if Sony put out all the bot characters in amiibo type form I'd buy them! lol

Top Bottom