• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro bot is the best game of this generation.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The "fact" that astro bot is the best of the PS5 gen means we really have have one of the worst gen of all times and you guys drool over PS5 Pro. Lmao.
Nah, it just means that many people are short-sighted and don't play many games. This generation has been pretty cool so far with tons of great multiplatform and indie games.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Nah, it just means that many people are short-sighted and don't play many games. This generation has been pretty cool so far with tons of great multiplatform and indie games.
You may be correct. Sadly in my case, if I average the score of all games in the past 5 years it would be at around 7 or lower. I can only name a handful of great games, compared to prev gen where I'd need at least 20 hands. I have replayed more games than new ones this gen which is saying a lot.

darrylgorn

Yes, it was close between this and Gran Turismo 7, but in general Astro is more fun.

Elden Ring aint even top 5 before you nerds start kicking off about your sweat simulator.

1. Astro
2. GT7
3. Demons Souls
4. FF 7 R
5. RE 4 R

MOpcQoN.jpeg

PatientGamer

Gold Member
I've only played 3 levels so far and it's the game of the year by a mile in my book. Arguably the game of the generation. Top 3 minimum.

It's that good.

I already cleared the game from my storage. I loved every single second of it, that's why I went for the platinum but I want leaderboards or speedrun mode to test my skills. It is one of the best games of the year by far but I don't it tops off FF7 Rebirth or Helldivers for me. I'd say I enjoyed it way more than Mario Wonder, so I think Sony has a winner with Astro Bot.

Yerd

Unless it's a free game on PS+, I will probably never play it. I don't like the cutesy shit. The game play looks fine but I can't do cutesy. Call me toxic.

Sackboy is the same for me. I tried, I can't do it.

There are levels of cutesy I can do, and this is too high. WALL-E is cutesy, and I absolutely love that movie. I have a deep, burning, passion of hate for the funkopop toy figures, which is basically what astrobot look like.

dorkimoe

the "demo" or whatever it was that came with the console was my favorite ps5 game lol. This new one is such a blast, really hope we get more platformers like this.

Muffdraul

It's an amazing game and I hurt my face muscles from the abnormal amount of smiling I did while playing it all last weekend. But let's not go fucking nuts here.

Minsc

Gold Member
I personally don't enjoy platformers enough as a genre to agree with that, even if it is the best platformer ever made - and I enjoyed the hell out of Playroom, at the end of the day its still a platformer. For me it's like platformers are scored on a 1-8 scale while other genres inherently can reach higher scores, but a platformers could never be my GOTG. Much like a sports game or music game or puzzle game may literally be impossible to be enjoyed to the level of GOTG for another person.

Just think of all the variations of Tetris that released over the years from Gameboy to N64 to Tetris Effect - all could rightly be the game of the generation of their release, but there's an issue with the genre for many people. A puzzle game simply could never be a GOTG against GTA or Elden Ring or Zelda or what have you.

Definitely interested in playing it, and I expect to enjoy it more than modern Mario platformers.

samoilaaa

for some people ofc

for me personally there are better games

elden ring , baldur's gate 3 , cyberpunk 2077 , warhammer 40k space marine 2 , the talos principle 2 , warhammer rogue trader

but hey everyone is different

SantaBanana

Neo Member
Definitely GOTY and yeah, probably best game of the generation as well. There's only BG3 and Elden ring that can rival it but I really dont care about both of them

clarky

Gold Member
Good game but put your bell end back in your pants. Its not as good as Bowser Fury for starters and that just talking 3d platformers.

Its the best playstation game for sure but theres loads more contenders that best it.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
It is reminded me of the fun and awe i had on my day 1 n64.

I was witnessing something new.

But astrobot has some flaws in the buttons stages besides that it’s a gem.

But

Balatro
Dave the diver
Loop hero
Factorio

Are all better games

But those do fuck all pushing gfx

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Did you get a PS5? I thought you sold yours.

Yeah, I bought an open box from Best Buy so I can play Astro Bot. I have 60 days to return so either I'll keep it or return it and buy Pro instead.

Baldurs Gate 3 is the GOTG.

Astro Bot is GOTY.

Agree with that, but I'd say Astro Bot is solid number 2 for GOTG, imo

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: XXL

ap_puff

Neo Member
I enjoy 3D platformers, can easily give GOTY to one.

However this a brand of fun thats rooted in throwing mechanics at player, a ton of them. Most of them tend to be half baked.

Compare it to Mario platformers. Even killing a basic goomba, you need to be very precise. And in some situations where things don’t align, they easily take you out.

Am not seeing that quality here. You get a ton of mechanics, but most of them seem automated. And you taking out enemies also doesn’t look as satisfying.

But again, I will reserve judgement till I play it.
How can someone be so confidently wrong?

Top Bottom