• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Bot | Review Thread

What scores do you think Astro Bot will get?

• 60-65%

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 66-69%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 70-74%

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 75-79%

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • 80-84%

Votes: 17 5.2%
  • 85-89%

Votes: 108 33.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 150 46.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 37 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Do I have any hope of finding the controller at a retailer? Wanting to surprise my son..

Probably no, but anybody have any idea if it'll be stocked anywhere?

jm89

What guarantee do I have that Sony will not pull and delist this game in 2 weeks?
obama-come-on-what-2.gif

I'm a big fan of 3D Land but I mean utterly nothing tops 3...in terms of megaton bomb games dropping its up there with Halo 2 and MGS2.

I don't look to compare them to a Platform game myself and that's overlooking I found Halo 2 one of the most overrated games and biggest disappointments of all time (single player)
I understand that taste is a personal thing ... I love platforms ... and SM3 is to this day one of the if not the best plataformer ever made... and Im not even that much of a nintendo fan ... SM3 its just special from top to bottom. You should really really bring down your shield and give it a good try.

I wouldn't change SM3 for any of the 3d marios.
It's not a case of a shield. I tried Mario 3 on the SNES, the issue was like with Castlevania IV. I was so blown away by Mario IV that all other Platform games didn't come close and playing Mario 3 didn't do it for in the same way playing the old Castlevania games didn't after playing Castlevania IV, much the same for the NES Metroids after playing Super Metroid.
Also a Catholic so more of that please....

Sethbacca

Do I have any hope of finding the controller at a retailer? Wanting to surprise my son..

Probably no, but anybody have any idea if it'll be stocked anywhere?
Check your local store sites like Walmart or Target or GameStop, whatever you have near you and order for in store pickup so you don’t have to go hunting. If it’s not in stock at least you won’t waste your time driving around.

Ogbert

Gold Member
Oh so just a rip off of Ratchet and Clank 2 but without the fun weapons.
No, not that. I’m on World 3 at the moment so can’t speak to the whole game. It’s insanely polished, incredibly fun and an absolute joy to play. Pretty much a lock for my GOTY.

It’s just not the same as Mario. It’s much more of an action platformer. Mario games really are *jumping*. The toolkit of the game is momentum from jumping, leaping, wall bouncing and ground pounding. You then play around in a sandbox and work out ways to try and break the game.

Astrobot is a little more linear in terms of what you can do with a jump.

Stafford

Now let's hope this is a massive success sales wise, so that hopefully more studios start to bother with making 3D platformers again. Looking at you Xbox, sigh.

But it being a game that isn't much longer than 8 hours (apparently) I am afraid the writing is on the wall. Or not, I don't get today's gamers always.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I wonder how it would've rated if it didn't have the haptic or rumble effects.

Everything I'm reading makes it seem like the controller feedback is half the experience.

diffusionx

Gold Member
So if I make a thread and run a poll right now - Spider-Man 2018 vs Spider-Man 2

And 2018 wins in a landslide (which it would), …that wouldn’t help prove me correct in regards to what I’m saying?

It all just “selective forum posts” huh?
Dude, you gotta play the games before you weigh in on them. That's like, the first rule.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Now let's hope this is a massive success sales wise, so that hopefully more studios start to bother with making 3D platformers again. Looking at you Xbox, sigh.

But it being a game that isn't much longer than 8 hours (apparently) I am afraid the writing is on the wall. Or not, I don't get today's gamers always.

It should sell 5 million by next week.

Markio128

Gold Member

Everything I'm reading makes it seem like the controller feedback is half the experience.
I doubt the game would exist without the dualsense, so a bit of a moot point imho.

However, the controller should play a massive part in the experience, and not enough devs give this enough consideration tbh.

Last edited:

demigod

Where are you getting 8 hours from?

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I doubt the game would exist without the dualsense, so a bit of a moot point imho.

However, the controller should play a massive part in the experience, and not enough devs give this enough consideration tbh.

Yeah I dont think it would've scored as high either

BlackTron

I don't look to compare them to a Platform game myself and that's overlooking I found Halo 2 one of the most overrated games and biggest disappointments of all time (single player)

It's not a case of a shield. I tried Mario 3 on the SNES, the issue was like with Castlevania IV. I was so blown away by Mario IV that all other Platform games didn't come close and playing Mario 3 didn't do it for in the same way playing the old Castlevania games didn't after playing Castlevania IV, much the same for the NES Metroids after playing Super Metroid.

Also a Catholic so more of that please....

I also didn't like Halo 2 compared to Halo CE, but I recognize why it was a big deal being the first online game and having the big 2. There were lines at midnight to buy it for a reason. Just saying 3 is one of those cultural craze games. The reason I liked World better as a kid is because it was more accessible, you could save the game, grab some powerups and use it like a sandbox to "mess around and have fun". After I "grew up" clearing score challenges in Yoshi's Island I ended up returning to 3 on NES. They're all good to return to just IMO 3 is the most timeless, with the most challenging levels. It's halfway between Mario 1's obtuse castle puzzles and World's evolved accessibility (call me goldilocks if you will).

Anyway, I'm facing a lot of indecision on this game (Astrobot). I have no way to play this but I'm not getting a PS5 the same day they hint iminent Pro reveal. That's without going and teasing the PC version. They pretty much fenced me out of playing it soon with the drip feed of info. Show me an Astrobot Pro bundle with that controller dropping by November tho and I think they got me finally.

No it’s not.

It’s a great game but iit absolutely is not Mario Galaxy 3. Both Galaxy games are incredible at manipulating movement and perspective within a game. It’s as if you’re holding the game in your hand and revolving the world around Mario.

This is not like that, at all. It’s a beautifully polished, very enjoyable, action platformer with very, very fun powers to use.
That's what I was saying about the platforming in Astrobot Rescue Mission. Gameplay itself is nothing special but still an incredibly polished, fun experience and oozes with charm. For me and many others, the VR aspect made the game so memorable and playing Astro flat is underwhelming. Granted, I haven't played this new Astro but I lost interest in Playroom and I fear I'll feel the same with Astro 2024. I'll definitely get to it at some point but now is not that time.

Some people will take that as me trashing the game. Not at all, I love Astro but the platforming itself and combat have always been entry level. The production value and overall charm make it stand out.

Last edited:
I also didn't like Halo 2 compared to Halo CE, but I recognize why it was a big deal being the first online game and having the big 2. There were lines at midnight to buy it for a reason. Just saying 3 is one of those cultural craze games. The reason I liked World better as a kid is because it was more accessible, you could save the game, grab some powerups and use it like a sandbox to "mess around and have fun". After I "grew up" clearing score challenges in Yoshi's Island I ended up returning to 3 on NES. They're all good to return to just IMO 3 is the most timeless, with the most challenging levels. It's halfway between Mario 1's obtuse castle puzzles and World's evolved accessibility (call me goldilocks if you will).

Anyway, I'm facing a lot of indecision on this game (Astrobot). I have no way to play this but I'm not getting a PS5 the same day they hint iminent Pro reveal. That's without going and teasing the PC version. They pretty much fenced me out of playing it soon with the drip feed of info. Show me an Astrobot Pro bundle with that controller dropping by November tho and I think they got me finally.
Online Halo 2 was amazing, but I love Halo for the single player and not the multi player and Halo 2 single player mode is terrible along with Halo 5 .

I grew up gaming on the ZX Spectrum and Master System which all my school friends did, No one had an NES and so we never really played the NES or its games bar like one kid having it in the school. SF 2 sold so many of us on the SNES and after you played the magic of Mario, Castlevania and Metroid on the SNES, it was hard to go back to play the earlier games when I got decent emu or when playing Mario Allstars on the SNES. That just the honest truth.

I can't see how a Pro PS5 will make Astrobot better and really if that's all you're buying a PS5 for the base unit will do you fine

Last edited:

Zacfoldor

Astrobot is plenty long. It is the game of the year, easy. The only thing close is Rebirth. Damn. That, honestly with this, Rebirth, Rise of the Ronin, and Stellar Blade PS5 has had a hell of a year. Astro destroys a lot of narratives.

If you so desire, you can always go back to playing Star Wars outlaws. /shudders /ridicule

Honestly, without a PS5 yalls gaming year has been a lot shitter. Just honestly, like, no shit. One platform gets treated the best and everything else gets scraps.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
8 hours with all content completed or just main story? 8 hours of a really good game is perfectly fine imo

Yeah. I think I spent close to that in Astro's Playroom. That was full completion of course, but still. If this game is 8 hours main story and 15 hours for full completion that's fine.

You mean a studio is using all available resources for an exclusive game to be the playable on a certain platform the best way possible and you say this?

That's like saying "i wonder how Wii Sports would play on a keyboard". Making a game around the hardware available should ALWAYS be a thing for console games and that's why this is feeling like an old-school modern experience.

If anything everyone else is underusing the dual sense.

About how it would've rated without being playable in this controler...they would do something else creatively. They did that with VR, on the first Astro Bot and the game also got GOTY awards that year so yeah. This is an incredibly talented studio.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
You mean a studio is using all available resources for an exclusive game to be the playable on a certain platform the best way possible and you say this?

That's like saying "i wonder how Wii Sports would play on a keyboard". Making a game around the hardware available should ALWAYS be a thing for console games and that's why this is feeling like an old-school modern experience.

If anything everyone else is underusing the dual sense.

About how it would've rated without being playable in this controler...they would do something else creatively. They did that with VR, on the first Astro Bot and the game also got GOTY awards that year so yeah. This is an incredibly talented studio.

It was a pie in the sky thought man jesus christ lol

Ive already bought it. Im not trashing it. I cant wait to get to it after work. Better?

xHunter

How do you know he is right?

I just don't understand why it always has to be some weird assed flex that something is better than something else. It always seems to be Sony games that the fanbase do this with. "WOW OUR NEW SONY GAME DESTROYS NINTENDO"

Like, why not just love the game and see where it clearly is getting its inspiration from.

Also, ironic that Sony fans that have claimed Nintendo are kids games and want hardcore third person gritty story games are suddenly trying to go up against the king of these games.

I cant wait for astrobot. I have full completed the VR game, Fully completed the pack in but why are these Sony fans so insecure that they have to say "Look we are destroying Mario" fucking weird as fuck man.
I mean:

It's like the first one, and it's great. The combat scenes completely work for me and I enjoyed my time with it.

It's better than concord. I'd take 10 of these over 100 of those.

Season 5 Idk GIF by Paramount+

The game is soooo much better than ragnarok and I'm like 2 hours in.

Pisses on it.

Maybe you should start with it. The first one was a month ago.

JTCx

I mean:

That jedi survivor comment.

Lmao

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It would be interesting to know what percentage actually played Astro's Playroom, what percent finished.

One thing that made Mario so big in the 80s is that he was always getting bundled with hardware.

Bundling is an easy way to promote IP, but Astro Bot was never really spotlighted as a tie in game, which was a marketing mistake potentially.

If promoted we probably could have been looking at a 10-15 million seller, but as is and without a price cut, I doubt we see it hit those kinds of numbers.

Wouldn't be surprised if Sony announces a Sony Pictures Animation movie based on this within the next year. That might give it legs.

Astrobot should sell at least 5 million. And it "could" sell 10 million once it's discounted to $30 in 2025. This game could be one of those "you must buy it if you're buying a PS5" type games this holiday season.

Ogbert

Gold Member
Here

But I also saw one that took him 9 hours. I mean for a 3D platformer I think it's fine. Aren't a lot of the 3D Marios ten hours or so?

I think that’s a nerd rushing through the game.

It’s the sort of title where you take your time. Why get every collectible first time round? I expect it will take me 20-30 hours to 100%.

Last edited:

finalflame

Holy fuck, 94?! Incredible.

I mean:

LOL, dang. Absolutely fucking cratered the dude. The level of projection from console war retards and other associated Chuds™ is incredibly predictable.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Astrobot should sell at least 5 million. And it "could" sell 10 million once it's discounted to $30 in 2025. This game could be one of those "you must buy it if you're buying a PS5" type games this holiday season.

Will definitely get heavy promotion through the year, but there is only so many units you can sell in this genre on this platform.

Top Bottom