• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Bot | Review Thread

What scores do you think Astro Bot will get?

• 60-65%

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 66-69%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 70-74%

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 75-79%

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • 80-84%

Votes: 17 5.2%
  • 85-89%

Votes: 108 33.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 150 46.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 37 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Way too short for the price no matter how fun it is.
I would much rather play a game that’s 6-10 hours and jam packed with non-stop fresh content than play through the standard AAA game padded with 20+ hours of the same bullshit over and over.

SkylineRKR

After Rescue Mission and Playroom, and even already the VR playroom included on the demo disc, it was evident that Astro Bot had everything to become a classic. I liked all Astro Bot related things I had played and quality wise they are up there with the very best.

Its just that what Kinda Funny says rings true; the name and design is never going to stick like some other iconic franchises. Because the IP started out as a tech demo of sorts. But to me it was obvious for quite a while that this one should have gotten the push and not Sackboy.

Looking Around K Pop GIF

the name and design is never going to stick like some other iconic franchises.

I never understood this argument

Most platformers start as a silly concept, I mean, Mario brothers? Italian Plumbers? I mean wtf. It was silly and then grew into that concept and now it’s a known thing

AstroBot can grow from its origins too, obviously not to Mario’s 40 year IP recognition, but something where you stop the comments about its name and concepts

This is the highest rated non Nintendo Platformer of all time btw, yup higher rated than Banjo Kazooie 👀
One could say Banjo Kazooie was also a bit underrated compared to Mario games.
I owned and played every mainline Mario entry game since Mario IV thanks
Hey you should also play Mario 2 and 3. Both are very very good (specifically 3). 2 is a bit junk today but I still love that game. They are available on a better version on SNES.

Last edited:

Hey you should also play Mario 2 and 3. Both are very very good (specifically 3). 2 is a bit junk today but I still love that game. They are available on a better version on SNES.

I don't see why one needs to play Mario 2/3 when saying Astrobot is better than the Mario 3D games , but I did have Mario Allstars for my SNES but never played it much and I didn't like Banjo Kazooie, Rayman 2 was for me the better game

Last edited:
I don't see why one needs to play Mario 2/3 when saying Astrobot is better than the Mario 3D games , but I did have Mario Allstars for my SNES but never played it much and I didn't like Banjo Kazooie, Rayman 2 was for me the better game
I think you should at least play Mario 3 as it's a classic of videogames history and in 2D. I liked Rayman 2 also BTW. Such a charming game. I personnaly been fed up of the Mario after Galaxy 2 (which I reasonnably liked) and the first new Super Mario bross game (which I found padding and boring).

Last edited:
I think you should at least play Mario 3 as it's a classic of videogames history and in 2D. I liked Rayman 2 also BTW. Such a charming game. I personnaly been fed up of the Mario after Galaxy 2 and the first new Super Mario bross game.
I get the history part but not interested in playing through Mario 3. Super Mario 3D Land was the last truly amazing Mario 3D game I played.
Astrobot on the PS4 and PS5 are for me so much better than what come from NCL Mario games since 3D land

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I owned and played every mainline Mario entry game since Mario IV thanks

And you have played this?

Dude why are you getting defensive over that comment lol

He’s also right you know

How do you know he is right?

I just don't understand why it always has to be some weird assed flex that something is better than something else. It always seems to be Sony games that the fanbase do this with. "WOW OUR NEW SONY GAME DESTROYS NINTENDO"

Like, why not just love the game and see where it clearly is getting its inspiration from.

Also, ironic that Sony fans that have claimed Nintendo are kids games and want hardcore third person gritty story games are suddenly trying to go up against the king of these games.

I cant wait for astrobot. I have full completed the VR game, Fully completed the pack in but why are these Sony fans so insecure that they have to say "Look we are destroying Mario" fucking weird as fuck man.

I love you so much!

Ogbert

Gold Member
This game is like Mario Galaxy 3 and it's like SONY pitched all the great Mario Team staff. Utterly amazing and so much better than Mario Oddessy
No it’s not.

It’s a great game but iit absolutely is not Mario Galaxy 3. Both Galaxy games are incredible at manipulating movement and perspective within a game. It’s as if you’re holding the game in your hand and revolving the world around Mario.

This is not like that, at all. It’s a beautifully polished, very enjoyable, action platformer with very, very fun powers to use.

Last edited:
No it’s not.

It’s a great game but iit absolutely is not Mario Galaxy 3. Both Galaxy games are incredible at manipulating movement and perspective within a game. It’s as if you’re holding the game in your hand and revolving the world around Mario.

This is not like that, at all. It’s a beautifully polished, very enjoyable, action platformer with very, very fun powers to use.

Fair enough Luigi

I just don't understand why it always has to be some weird assed flex that something is better than something else. It always seems to be Sony games that the fanbase do this with. "WOW OUR NEW SONY GAME DESTROYS NINTENDO"

Like, why not just love the game and see where it clearly is getting its inspiration from.

Also, ironic that Sony fans that have claimed Nintendo are kids games and want hardcore third person gritty story games are suddenly trying to go up against the king of these games.

I cant wait for astrobot. I have full completed the VR game, Fully completed the pack in but why are these Sony fans so insecure that they have to say "Look we are destroying Mario" fucking weird as fuck man.

I love you so much!

Yeah I have Astrobot thanks, here's me playing the game

BTW, I'm an Xbot and SEGA fan

Trilobit

What..the..frick? Junk?! Super Mario Bros 2 is one of the absolutely best Mario games and my all-time favourite Mario game. The GBA version holds up amazingly still today.

I get the history part but not interested in playing through Mario 3. Super Mario 3D Land was the last truly amazing Mario 3D game I played.
Astrobot on the PS4 and PS5 are for me so much better than what come from NCL Mario games since 3D land

What..the..frickin' frick?! Am I having a dengue fever dream? What is this thread even. I need to take my heart medication before it's too late.

2ZD.gif

Nankatsu

Man kind of want to pull the trigger on the game, but no sweet promotion in my country.

I think I'll have to hold on to it for now :messenger_loudly_crying:

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
Why the absolute LIVING FUCK did I promise my son he’d be the first one to play it? It’s sat there mocking me until 3:30pm when he gets back from school.
The pain is real. Almost (but not quite) tempted to splash out the £25 quid to play SM2 a few days early instead.

Update: the Astro DualSense arrived. That’s going to blow his tiny mind as he has no idea that such a thing even exists.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I love you so much!
Team Andromeda Team Andromeda is a Sony fan?

foamdino

My copy was delivered an hour ago - but it's for my boy's birthday, so it's sat in his room mocking me from afar while I'm writing docs and refactoring code <sigh/>

Bernardougf

I love you so much!

Well ... look at that... I would've never taken you for an "I hate hyperbole" guy after the Hellblade II thread.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

I understand that taste is a personal thing ... I love platforms ... and SM3 is to this day one of the if not the best plataformer ever made... and Im not even that much of a nintendo fan ... SM3 its just special from top to bottom. You should really really bring down your shield and give it a good try.

I wouldn't change SM3 for any of the 3d marios.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Well ... look at that... I would've never taken you for an "I hate hyperbole" guy after the Hellblade II thread.

Hellblade 2 is good. I enjoyed it easily as much as the first. Haters gotta hate.

But I am not derailing, over that.

I preordered this game within minutes of the pre orders go live. No one could satiate my excitement for this game. I am just trying to point out that can't we just love astrobot. Why must we do these hyperbolic claims of how it destroys nintendo and mario. Becuase now I have to sit down and have that in my head while I play and many others will. So queue 3 months down the line when everyone is making insane hyperbolic claims that the game is no where near as good as mario. People bring this shit on and it sucks.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I'm a big fan of 3D Land but I mean utterly nothing tops 3...in terms of megaton bomb games dropping its up there with Halo 2 and MGS2.

Bernardougf

Hellblade 2 is good. I enjoyed it easily as much as the first. Haters gotta hate.

But I am not derailing, over that.

I preordered this game within minutes of the pre orders go live. No one could satiate my excitement for this game. I am just trying to point out that can't we just love astrobot. Why must we do these hyperbolic claims of how it destroys nintendo and mario. Becuase now I have to sit down and have that in my head while I play and many others will. So queue 3 months down the line when everyone is making insane hyperbolic claims that the game is no where near as good as mario. People bring this shit on and it sucks.
Oh I agree.. as much as I agree is insane anyone saying Hellblade II is goty but dont remember you outraged with that hyperbole then .... relax my man hyperboles in the end are just shitty opinions... like saying hellblade II is good

Last edited:

Unknown?

No it’s not.

Oh so just a rip off of Ratchet and Clank 2 but without the fun weapons.

Top Bottom