• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At The Drive In announce 'in·ter a·li·a' out May 5th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AtTheDriveInInteraliacover-768x768.jpg

Tracklist :-

‘No Wolf Like The Present'
‘Continuum'
‘Tilting At The Univendor'
‘Governed By Contagions'
‘Pendulum In A Peasant Dress'
‘Incurably Innocent'
‘Call Broken Arrow'
‘Holtzclaw'
‘Torrentially Cutshaw'
‘Ghost-tape No.9'
‘Hostage Stamps'

also new track - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS_IramA9m4

I do like the track and Governed By Contagions, but damn does it sound like Antemasque

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Ehhhhh?

Not sure if it's Jim Ward being gone or their age, but the track is just sorta meh.

To put it in better GAF terms old ATDI went crazy and were SSJ3. Dialing it back to SSJ1 isn't outright bad just boring.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Vocals are terrible on both songs. Old atdi vocals were like hardcore opera, with more inventive lyrics.

belvedere

Junior Butler
It's like Cedric could never quite return to the lower ATDI style range after TMV.

Much like with contagions, I first thought this was another Antemasque song. But there's definitely hints of ATDI there.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Opening chords are really nice. Like how the drums fit around them. Something is off putting for me about Cedric's vocals though.

I like the cover.

Truant

Cedric sounds great, the production is pretty decent as well.

These dudes are like 40 now, they'll never sound like 20-somethings.

Edit: Album is produced by Rich Costey, who mixed the early TMV records.

NotSelf

Sounds like early ATDI which I really never cared for but I except as much form a band that's been a part for so long.

I would've been more interested in a mars Volta album but hey I'm sure Omar will get bored with this project and move on again.

Saw them last year at The Warfield and it was good as a reunion type deal. Will be skipping this year cause I can't imagine getting into their new stuff. Cedric's voice has changed and does not suit ATDI at all.

Soma

I NEED to see them on tour this time after missing out last year. Glad Le Butcherettes are touring with them again. Awesome band.

FuuRe

I don't understand how they dissolved TMV because of personal issues and keep going in side projects as if nothing ever happened.

It grinds my gears

NewDust

Pretty sure it's a prank by Omar... I mean socks, really?!

Also what's the deal with a lyric video? Half the fun is trying to unravel the lyrics Cedric sings.

I don't understand how they dissolved TMV because of personal issues and keep going in side projects as if nothing ever happened.

It grinds my gears

They argued, then resolved it. Omar is done with being a dictator. Juan probably isn't coming back anytime soon after what O&C said about him. TMV is dead.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Digging what I've heard so far. Contagions is the superior track.

Ladies and gents, we have a north american tour.

First stop: El Paso, Texas!!

Really, the closest they get to the East coast is Cleveland?

Bah.

I NEED to see them on tour this time after missing out last year. Glad Le Butcherettes are touring with them again. Awesome band.

I missed out when they were here because tickets sold out pretty damn quick. I was actually surprised...

Lorr

Pretty sure it's a prank by Omar... I mean socks, really?!

Also what's the deal with a lyric video? Half the fun is trying to unravel the lyrics Cedric sings.

They argued, then resolved it. Omar is done with being a dictator. Juan probably isn't coming back anytime soon after what O&C said about him. TMV is dead.

What did they say about Juan?

Preordered the minute it went up. Can't wait, both songs have been about as great as I could expect for a band that took a massive hiatus.

El Paso the day after nice. It was strange we weren't on the initial list

I imagine they didn't want to accidentally reveal the album release date right?

As for Antemasque LP 2, Cedric said to expect it after ATDI tour winds down.

hmm, i'm interested. will give it a fair chance.

Vaya is one of the best EPs ever and i will love it forever.. too bad they're probably not going for that vibe. loved the melancholy.

edit: yeah.. these new tracks rock and all, but they lack the great quiet moments and bursts of sadness from earlier stuff. not a huge fan so far.

sinkfla87

ATDI without Jim Ward is not ATDI. This is more like another incarnation of TMV than anything, IMO.

I completely agree. It's cool when bands reform and feed nostalgia, but when they're fractured shells of what they once were the music always suffers because of it. As a songwriter myself I can't help but feel like sometimes when bands reform, rather than writing what comes naturally from them they strive to capture a sound they were known for years prior, even if they've outgrown that style. Jim is definitely underappreciated and you can hear his absence :(.

EDIT: this song is growing on me, I don't hate it. But it still feels like something is missing.

NewDust

What did they say about Juan?

In the end it came down to something Juan just should have been fortunate he got the gig and that he wasn't anything more than a payroll musician. Pretty shitty thing to say about someone that has basically been for the entire run of the band.

I really want to like the new songs, but so far they aren't more than ok

Sounds like Antemasque, and it's not just Cedric's voice, the guitars just lack the old punch

Jim will be missed, but I guess he's happy sticking to his acoustic projects, so good for him

blackjaw

I love classic 90s ATDI, grew up on it, but this felt a bit...off. I'll hold off on judgment until I hear the full album!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Has anyone else heard the new album yet?

I got my vinyl copy in the mail today. It's alright; I like the previously released songs best along with a couple others. Ultimately though I still kind of wish they hadn't decided to release new music. Antemasque is better than this.

I got my vinyl copy in the mail today. It's alright; I like the previously released songs best along with a couple others. Ultimately though I still kind of wish they hadn't decided to release new music. Antemasque is better than this.

I've just had a notification that mine has arrived at home! Thought it wouldn't arrive for a few days, very excited!

I love it. Fucking barn burner almost the whole way through. Just got my vinyl today, if there's one complaint its that the album needed another slow jam like ghost tape no. 9

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Listening to this is like being catapulted back to 2000, in the best way possible. Only on the first listen but I already love it.

sinkfla87

Initially, I didn't care for the newer songs but damn they have grown on me. "Pendulum in a peasent dress" is wonderful. I will say though I can hear Jim Ward's absence :(. I don't mean in his backing vocals, but in the songwriting. I feel like Omar's unorthodox style paired with Jim's more conventional writing really complimented one another and made ATDI what it was.

Also, bonus interview mentioning Jim Ward here:
http://exclaim.ca/music/article/aft...ve-in_overcome_all_their_conflicts_except_one

I don't and never really cared for Omar as an individual. You can see Cedric pay respect but Omar has to take his little pot shot as always. Back in 2012 when ATDI reunited, Omar was visibly bored to the point of not giving a shit about ATDI during the shows people waited forever for and spent good money on, and that negative energy would have probably driven me away as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom