• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Ayesha Plus: The Alchemist Of Arland |OT| Now With Dual Audio

squall211

The Arland trilogy was my first experience with this series and I really enjoyed it. I hope the Dusk trilogy is just as enjoyable.

Oh hell, I didn't know this was out this month. Too late to do anything about my gamefly queue now ;p

Edit: Oh, digital only, that'd explain it. Well hell.

Aexact

I guess the art direction was fine. The portraits are nice and the sprites are easy to distinguish. Guess coming out in 2004 looking like a PSOne game left an impression. Just looking at the backgrounds without the portraits. Didn't have the same feelings attached to the other Atelier games on the PS2 though since Iris gave me an idea of what to expect.

Khrno

Buying EU version tomorrow.

Cannot wait to do another 2 playthroughs on it and get the bad taste of Escha & Logy out of my mouth while waiting for Shallie!

Falk

that puzzling face
You prooobably want to play Ayesha before Escha&Logy and Escha&Logy before Shallie.

Helps you appreciate the cameos and backstory.

Hubb

Does this still use the turn/days limit? I played through Totori Plus twice to try to get a good ending... and it still didn't happen. Mind you, the second time through was MUCH quicker... but I hate trying to rush things as efficiently as possible to get a good ending. I like to take my time in JRPGs.

This franchise would be fantastic if it wasn't for that...

Yes it still uses turns/days limit. I played through the PS3 version and I don't remember it being overbearing, but I didn't have a problem with Totori's limits either.

Just might double dip for this. PS3 version was fun but there was an annoying glitch where half the traits don't work, which I hope gets fixed.

Ohnonono

So this one is the FIRST part of a new trilogy and also is the most updated version correct? I can start here and they aren't releasing backwards?(for Vita that is)

Animekatt

I will be buying this when we get the 10% off coupon for psn purchases. This is my second favorite Atelier game after Rorona, and I can't wait to get the plat for this again.

Quixzlizx

So this one is the FIRST part of a new trilogy and also is the most updated version correct? I can start here and they aren't releasing backwards?(for Vita that is)

Arland Trilogy
Rorona --> Totori --> Meruru

Dusk Trilogy
Ayesha --> Escha & Logy --> Shallie

bomblord1

Banned
So why does every Atelier game have the swimsuit DLC shown so prevalently? If I google the names of any of them it comes up and at least 2 Neogaf OT's have them in the OP.

So why does every Atelier game have the swimsuit DLC shown so prevalently? If I google the names of any of them it comes up and at least 2 Neogaf OT's have them in the OP.

All the Plus versions have pre-order swimsuit costumes because Japan, I guess. Since they're re-releases, any new material tends to get featured over the bulk of the games. Ayesha is generally free of gratuitous fanservice aside from the swimsuits.

kadotsu

Banned
All the Plus versions have pre-order swimsuit costumes because Japan, I guess. Since they're re-releases, any new material tends to get featured over the bulk of the games. Ayesha is generally free of gratuitous fanservice aside from the swimsuits.

I really dislike the costumes. They could go for a cool steampunk laboratory outfit, but no, it has to be a lazy swimsuit outfit.

FDC1

they are cute costumes for cute girls doing cute things

Mandatory

908ce5eda279.jpg

bomblord1

Banned
Well, if you plan on playing the entire trilogy, Escha&Logy has the prerequisite bad physics overly bouncy breasts character.

Just a heads up.

I would like to play any of the available on PSTV. Which so far is all of them except Rorona.

I know nothing about Atelier games but I was planning to start with this one. I loathe time restrictions, would this be a game for me?

I heard that this game has no time limit. Is that true? Not really a fan of time restrictions in RPGs.
Not a time limit in terms of seconds constantly counting down, but in terms of actions costing in-game time. Harvesting items or battling takes up a portion of an in-game day, travelling between areas (but not within an area) or synthesising costs at least an in-game day.

Ayesha is first of the Dusk trilogy, yeah?
And it is the third game that finally drops the time limit?

I keep dipping my toes into the series and then retracting, not really happy. How does this compare to Rorona and Meruru? Would I be better off just holding off and grabbing the third game plus in two years?

Falk

that puzzling face

Yes, and yes.

Escha&Logy has probably the most interesting combat system of the entire franchise thus far, albeit it's still hilariously broken with endgame stuff and a bit of planning.

In many ways E&L is compared to Mana Khemia so if you really liked that...

Vylash

I keep dipping my toes into the series and then retracting, not really happy. How does this compare to Rorona and Meruru? Would I be better off just holding off and grabbing the third game plus in two years?

yes and yes

it's nowhere near as good as any of the Arland games, and you should probably grab Escha Plus first whenever it comes out over here

Wait, is this game Moe?

Pretty moe, yeah, but not quite as moe as the Arland trilogy, I'd say.

Ayesha has a pretty lenient time limit relative to the Arland games (as in I had zero problem finishing the main story and the character sidequests I was interested in on my first run, which wasn't the case in the Arland trilogy.) Escha & Logy may as well have not had a time limit at all considering how much of a joke it was for me to do everything (including the optional superbosses) on my first run with half an in-game year to spare. Shallie straight-up has no time limit.

Ayesha is probably my favorite overall game in the series, but that's because I didn't mind how they simplified synthesis and time/inventory management compared to the Arland trilogy. If you're a fan of JRPGs but were turned off by the complexity of those aspects in the Arland games then Ayesha's a decent place to start.

Thanks for the answers. Sounds like I should hold off on this one, but I might just grab it anyway. No one to blame but myself if I end up not liking it.
Well, and Suzushiiro. :p

So I know that Ayesha and Escha & Logy both share a number of characters and are set in the same world, if you want to play through Escha & Logy is it wise to go through Ayesha first? I watched the anime of E&L recently and it didn't explain anything about Nio, her sister, Linca or Wilbell, but I really want to play through the Plus version of that game when it gets localised.

Nice thread. CureVylash was the last person I expected to make one for Ayesha though. lol

I'm gonna have to debate getting this today or not. I forgot it was coming this soon, and I don't have a Vita memory card. After work, I might pick up a card if Walmart has one and buy the game. Maybe. I shouldn't, as I am saving money for other expensive stuff, but I really want to play it with Japanese voices and english text for a couple run throughs.

I'll probably get this and just crack down on everything else for at least a month. lol

ALSO

I got an email from NISA saying they only have 10% stock of Atelier Shallie's Limited Edition left for pre-order. So if any of you guys have been holding out on this, you may want to jump on this quick before it is gone.

Edit: I just went to NISA's store to make sure my order is good and I saw that the LE is sold out now. lol

So I know that Ayesha and Escha & Logy both share a number of characters and are set in the same world, if you want to play through Escha & Logy is it wise to go through Ayesha first? I watched the anime of E&L recently and it didn't explain anything about Nio, her sister, Linca or Wilbell, but I really want to play through the Plus version of that game when it gets localised.

If I recall correctly E&L fills you in on everything you absolutely need to know from Ayesha (which isn't much,) but you'll certainly appreciate the returning characters a bit more if you played Ayesha first.

It's certainly worth playing in any case if you plan on also playing E&L.

If I recall correctly E&L fills you in on everything you absolutely need to know from Ayesha (which isn't much,) but you'll certainly appreciate the returning characters a bit more if you played Ayesha first.

It's certainly worth playing in any case if you plan on also playing E&L.

I'm just playing Ayesha plus because I need more Wilbell in my life, so I agree with this in a weird way as I'm going reverse(played Escha but not this).

vall03

Really really annoyed with the games I want to play having the same release date. Just started Brandish and hoping that I can finish it within the month. Will definitely get Ayesha Plus around next week maybe.

Top Bottom