• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Ayesha Plus: The Alchemist Of Arland |OT| Now With Dual Audio

bomblord1

Banned
Sorry to ask the same thing twice but now I'm kind of desperate several people across the internet say Atelier Rorona works despite not being on any compatibility list but when I try to download it to the PSTV I get an error saying this software is not PSTV compatible Cancel and OK.

Can anyone in this thread confirm (not internet check actually load up the game hit play and see if it runs) if this runs on a North American PSTV with the latest firmware.

I really dislike the costumes. They could go for a cool steampunk laboratory outfit, but no, it has to be a lazy swimsuit outfit.

I agree. Not all the costumes are dumb swimsuit ones but guess which ones are the most popular ones, so yeah, they're 95% of the costumes.

Well, if you plan on playing the entire trilogy, Escha&Logy has the prerequisite bad physics overly bouncy breasts character.

Just a heads up.

Okay, let me rephrase: Ayesha is mostly free of gratuitous fan-service. I don't think any modern Atelier game is free of boob-physics characters. Threia in E&L at least has an awesome and practical outfit.

Saphirax

Woah, I was on the fence about getting this seeing how I already have the ps3 version that I never finished. But seeing how the price here is actually lower than in the UK, I might buy it.

For those of you that are playing it, how difficult is the hard mode?

bomblord1

Banned
I agree. Not all the costumes are dumb swimsuit ones but guess which ones are the most popular ones, so yeah, they're 95% of the costumes.

Okay, let me rephrase: Ayesha is mostly free of gratuitous fan-service. I don't think any modern Atelier game is free of boob-physics characters. Threia in E&L at least has an awesome and practical outfit.

What is with Japan and physics like that. They should be focusing more on HAIR physics considering how crazy some characters do's are.

Well, against advice I did pick this up for some reason. Plenty of other things I'm currently playing but this series seems to draw me in and spit me out.

The only one I dedicated serious time to before was Rorona PS3 so I'm hoping the improvements are noticeable here but that I can wrap my head around all the systems. I was pretty damn clueless about traits and all of that back in the day and I'd like to play competently.

Also, I was looking at the Plus trophy list the other day but can't find it now. Does anyone know if you need to do anything special for the hard mode trophy or just finish it?

Saphirax

not too bad. I'm a little over 6 months though. could get worse.

for one thing, recommended levels aren't right in hard mode. they're meant for normal.

her design in Escha is so much better than in Ayesha

but that finger wag

I'll probably start on hard when I get the game then :D.

Vylash

May get this for my birthday next week. Any tips for a newbie to the Atelier series?

Well, assuming you're insistent on starting with Ayesha, don't be intimidated by the time system and remember that you have plenty of time to do everything you need to do and a whole lot more in just one playthrough, stay on top of your equipment and armor, and save frequently

pariah164

Well, assuming you're insistent on starting with Ayesha, don't be intimidated by the time system and remember that you have plenty of time to do everything you need to do and a whole lot more in just one playthrough, stay on top of your equipment and armor, and save frequently
I heard Ayesha was a good one to start off with, since it's the beginning of a new arc.

My first impression was bad because of some ways it was different from earlier games (eg not having a centralised desk for quests) but I eventually came around. This might be an advantage of playing it first.

Got my memory card and changed my account. Downloading the game now. :D

Sorry to ask the same thing twice but now I'm kind of desperate several people across the internet say Atelier Rorona works despite not being on any compatibility list but when I try to download it to the PSTV I get an error saying this software is not PSTV compatible Cancel and OK.

Can anyone in this thread confirm (not internet check actually load up the game hit play and see if it runs) if this runs on a North American PSTV with the latest firmware.

Do you have a PS3. Does it need to be Vita?

Because the plus version of Atelier Rorona is also available on PS3.

If it's really the Vita version you want (to play on the TV at home and on the Vita for other reasons), I can't confirm if it works on PSTV as I don't own it. Sorry. Hope you get a solid answer from someone.

Zephyx

it's a good place to jump in since it's the start of a new trilogy yeah

whether it's a good game...weeeeeeeeeeeeeell

Why isn't it a good game? I finished and liked the Arland trilogy until the endgame content so I was planning to get this one. If impressions are bad, might as well skip this one and wait for E&L+,

Why isn't it a good game? I finished and liked the Arland trilogy until the endgame content so I was planning to get this one. If impressions are bad, might as well skip this one and wait for E&L+,

E&L is the one you'd want to skip if anything. Ayesha is one of the best PS3 Atelier games.

_Slay

Ayesha is better than E&L so please don't do that. It is my second favorite of the ps3 titles.

Vylash

that's probably your best bet, Ayesha does some super weird things like making it so you can only get new weapons by beating bosses that they thankfully fix in Escha so i'd just wait for that

just get all of them

how's that. your wallet would hate you tho

pls

Zephyx

E&L is the one you'd want to skip if anything. Ayesha is one of the best PS3 Atelier games.

Conflicting opinions. :( I'll guess I'll watch some synthesis and gameplay videos to convince myself. Planning to get this later in case it jives with my taste. Thanks!

just get all of them

how's that. your wallet would hate you tho

That's what I'm planning to do! I think my wallet will be fine though.. After this, it'll just be E&L+ if it gets localized.

ohlawd

there's no sane person out there that thinks Ayesha's alchemy system is good.

people clearly love Ayesha for something else.

Zephyx

that's probably your best bet, Ayesha does some super weird things like making it so you can only get new weapons by beating bosses that they thankfully fix in Escha so i'd just wait for that

It's not that bad if it's just that. Anything else I should be mindful of? Like the alchemy system being too shallow? I enjoyed the synthesis in Meruru+ and Rorona+.

there's no sane person out there that thinks Ayesha's alchemy system is good.

people clearly love Ayesha for something else.

I didn't mind the alchemy system so much, even though it is done better in other games. But Ayesha has the best setting, music, and cast in the series, and that more than makes up for it. At least they didn't ruin the structure of the game and turn it into a tedious slog like they did with E&L.

Falk

that puzzling face
I didn't mind the alchemy system so much, even though it is done better in other games. But Ayesha has the best setting, music, and cast in the series, and that more than makes up for it. At least the didn't ruin the structure of the game and turn it into a tedious slog like they did with E&L.

Pls. E&L has better setting and music.

Can't argue about the structure being ass after Ayesha though. (Of course, Shallie seems to have figured out what not to do)

Vylash

It's not that bad if it's just that. Anything else I should be mindful of? Like the alchemy system being too shallow? I enjoyed the synthesis in Meruru+ and Rorona+.

the alchemy system is awful, but on the plus side it's got a great world and a kickass soundtrack

bomblord1

Banned
Got my memory card and changed my account. Downloading the game now. :D

Do you have a PS3. Does it need to be Vita?

Because the plus version of Atelier Rorona is also available on PS3.

If it's really the Vita version you want (to play on the TV at home and on the Vita for other reasons), I can't confirm if it works on PSTV as I don't own it. Sorry. Hope you get a solid answer from someone.

I do not own a PS3. Thanks though.

Quixzlizx

I think newcomers to the series should probably take the viewpoints regarding individual Atelier games of opinionated Atelier obsessives with a grain of salt. They have their "favorite" type of Atelier and associated mechanics, and will bitch about any game in the series that fits that type less than the others. Which is why you have half the thread saying that Ayesha is bad, and half saying it's one of their favorites.

Just start with either Rorona+ or Ayesha+.

Falk

that puzzling face
I think newcomers to the series should probably take the viewpoints regarding individual Atelier games of opinionated Atelier obsessives with a grain of salt. They have their "favorite" type of Atelier and associated mechanics, and will bitch about any game in the series that fits that type less than the others. Which is why you have half the thread saying that Ayesha is bad, and half saying it's one of their favorites.

Well, obviously with a series that's gone on as long as Atelier there's bound to be differences and favorites. (See: Tales, Final Fantasy, etc) It doesn't discredit opinions when someone asks e.g. "I like JRPGs, which Atelier game should I try first if I want some semblance of a typical JRPG story?" in which case a (probably) objectively correct answer would be Iris, even if it's a really archaic game by today's standards.

(I agree that Rorona Plus/Ayesha Plus are good places to start, espeically considering the draw of having direct sequels if either game hooks you. Also Rorona+ does alleviate a lot of the significant design issues with Rorona being the first PS3 Atelier.)

bomblord1

Banned

Saying one is the "worst in the series" is not necessarily a knock on any individual game as one of them HAS to be the worst. However, in a great game series even the worst can be great. At least that's the way I try to see it when reading opinions like that.

FDC1

aaargh, japanese trophy list once again for me (French Vita owner). Is it so hard to put English as the default language when you relase a game to the West? Come on Gust...

Quixzlizx

Well, obviously with a series that's gone on as long as Atelier there's bound to be differences and favorites. (See: Tales, Final Fantasy, etc) It doesn't discredit opinions when someone asks e.g. "I like JRPGs, which Atelier game should I try first if I want some semblance of a typical JRPG story?"

I was speaking more about the people simply asking "Is this a good Atelier game to start with?" and people answering "No, Ayesha is the worst PS3 Atelier game, start with Atelier X instead."

If someone specifically asks "Which one has the best characters?" or "Which one has the best alchemy system?" then that's different.

Falk

that puzzling face
NO :( none of the big sales have ever discounted any of these games.

I actually do remember picking up E&L at a discount alongside Tales of Graces. Can't remember when that was, but it was a PSN JRPG digital sale.

edit: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/06/03/flash-sale-over-15-rpgs-add-ons-up-to-75-off/

But yeah generally speaking these are really rare and they start from the ridiculously marked-up PSN prices anyway (for example Amazon usually has digitals listed lower than direct from PSN)

ohlawd

Just got a vita, do these games ever go on sale? Kinda wanna pick up the first trilogy before starting this one.

I think Totori Plus has been on sale twice and Meruru once

good luck. hope for the next Golden Week sale (if they plan on doing another one) if you want these on sale.

personally I would just buy them all using that still nonexistent coupon Sony promised us

Played this for a bit last night and quite enjoyed myself. It looks really great on the Vita. Even the Atelier Shallie screens I've seen impressed me with how terrible the background looked in comparison to the characters, but for whatever reason it doesn't seem that bad with this game.

Anyway, was searching for something on Google and accidentally linked to an FAQ instead of a GameFAQs thread. Immediately felt like shit and like I was fucking everything up. That's fine, except:

I started on hard mode since I read NG+ can only carry over to normal and I figured the best use of my time if I wanted to replay for trophies on a NG+ would be to grab the hard mode trophy first time around and then NG+ onto normal. My understanding is that to get the hard mode trophy you only need to
rescue Nio
, not get a true end or anything, so I'm hoping at least that much will be doable playing at my own pace.

Does that sound reasonable to people who have played the game before?

I don't want to ruin anything by playing with a guide, but I also don't want to go through hard mode if I can't achieve the one trophy goal there is for that difficulty without using a guide.

Rocky

Banned
How come if you access the store via web browser the game says it won't be released until Feb 10 2015?

Can you only buy it by going through the Vita right now?

Yasumi

Banned
How come if you access the store via web browser the game says it won't be released until Feb 10 2015?

Can you only buy it by going through the Vita right now?
That's probably when the costume bundle offer's going to end, and you won't be able to buy it anymore. Non-bundled versions usually show up as new releases.

Rocky

Banned
That's probably when the costume bundle offer's going to end, and you won't be able to buy it anymore. Non-bundled versions usually show up as new releases.

Ah yes, I see it now. The one you can buy now is Atelier Ayesha Plus with Bonus, the one I was looking at doesn't have anything with it, just the game.

Guess I'll grab this now then to get all the extras, lol.

Oh snap, they fixed the lip flaps. :)

So, how are you guys enjoying the Japanese voices? Have you played PS3 version with English VO's first or is this your first time playing Ayesha?

I admit, I like the J-voices a lot more, overall. I wish there was an auto-scroll mode though. I look at the lip flaps to see if I should press X to move to the next text or not. It's been a little weird, but I'm getting used to it.

I started on hard mode since I read NG+ can only carry over to normal and I figured the best use of my time if I wanted to replay for trophies on a NG+ would be to grab the hard mode trophy first time around and then NG+ onto normal. My understanding is that to get the hard mode trophy you only need to
rescue Nio
, not get a true end or anything, so I'm hoping at least that much will be doable playing at my own pace.

Does that sound reasonable to people who have played the game before?

I don't want to ruin anything by playing with a guide, but I also don't want to go through hard mode if I can't achieve the one trophy goal there is for that difficulty without using a guide.

If that's all you need to do for the hard mode trophy, you should have plenty of time to accomplish that. I think people who already know when to do what can accomplish that goal in a year or so. For a blind playthough, you should be fine within the three years. I think this port is suppose to make switching party members a lot easier, so that's a plus on saving time for certain characters.

I'm playing on Hard mode too. :)

Is there any non-costume DLC?

I don't think so. The Plus version has all the DLC from the PS3 version built in already (a new area, a new dungeon, and the soundtrack to every Atelier game that came before Ayesha.)

Too bad it seems I have to unlock all the BGMs. I was looking forward to playing around with the soundtrack right away. :(

Ayesha already has a great OST though. But it's fun to mess around with character themes, etc...

Top Bottom