• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Ayesha Plus: The Alchemist Of Arland |OT| Now With Dual Audio

Ants

Is it possible to defeat
Keithgriff the first time you fight him
? More importantly, do you get anything out of it, even a different cutscene? It has a lot of characteristics of a textbook undefeatable boss (you deal 1 or 2 damage with most of your attacks, an ability that deals 3x your life in one go with an epic cutscene, the story progresses once you fail), but in my first try with it, I noticed a few things that make it seem doable.

For one, that instakill is definitely survivable via dodge and guts, which I wouldn't allow as a game designer if I was making it legit unwinnable. For two, Ayesha can absolutely keep up with his damage output via healing items if she tries. For three, Bomb Ice, an item acquirable with no recipe books and with extremely common ingredients, deals 11-15 damage to him. Finally, two of my characters regenerate their health via their gear at pretty decent clips, and could probably go even faster. It seems wholly possible to whittle down his life bar if you come prepared and are patient, but I don't want to waste that time if it won't lead to anything. I'm kind of hoping it'll be like the "unwinnable" fight in fight in Tales of Symphonia, where it goes from around this difficult to unreasonably difficult to actually unwinnable.

ohlawd

keep telling yourself that

I'm not the one skipping two great games with better gameplay mechanics (yeah, I'm lumping Totori here) because I want a story that means fuck all in the end

Is it possible to defeat
Keithgriff the first time you fight him
? More importantly, do you get anything out of it, even a different cutscene? It has a lot of characteristics of a textbook undefeatable boss (you deal 1 or 2 damage with most of your attacks, an ability that deals 3x your life in one go with an epic cutscene, the story progresses once you fail), but in my first try with it, I noticed a few things that make it seem doable.

yeah it's doable. you get different dialogue when you win but the outcome is the same with him bailing. if you really want to win, use Poison Aquas and have Wilbell use Element Call on Ayesha.

I would just let him beat you. he's a waste of items. when you beat him, I think he'll get a page in the monster log.

bomblord1

Banned
keep telling yourself that

I'm not the one skipping two great games with better gameplay mechanics (yeah, I'm lumping Totori here) because I want a story that means fuck all in the end

yeah it's doable. you get different dialogue when you win but the outcome is the same with him bailing. if you really want to win, use Poison Aquas and have Wilbell use Element Call on Ayesha.

I would just let him beat you. he's a waste of items. when you beat him, I think he'll get a page in the monster log.

A story in a character driven game is fairly important. I'm not sure what you mean by "better mechanics" but at the end of the day the story is what drives a game like this forward.

ohlawd

A story in a character driven game is fairly important. I'm not sure what you mean by "better mechanics" but at the end of the day the story is what drives a game like this forward.

yeah, no

I've stuck around this long because of the alchemy, time management (well that's gone now. thanks a lot, everyone) and cute girls.

bomblord1

Banned
yeah, no

I've stuck around this long because of the alchemy, time management (well that's gone now. thanks a lot, everyone) and cute girls.

I halfway enjoy the alchemy the time management is just a mechanic to me not good or bad by itself and I'm definitely not playing the game for "cute girls". I just wanted an honest opinion on if Ayesha has a better story and if it's worth jumping to it given that I found Rorona Plus somewhat Mediocre due to lack of a decent story.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I feel like having bought the early version and getting all of the extra outfits I should be rotating them... but her default costume just looks too good. Use the flower band instead of her default head piece...

551jTgs.jpg

In fact, the flower band is the best head piece period.

rLfplif.jpg

They are nice little bits of bonus... and as nice looking as they are, I just can't play the main game walking around in these...

ClbbK5k.jpg

Also... Wilbel's posture is atrocious...

QA80loa.jpg

I'm kind of the same way too. For whatever reason despite all the costumes I just stick to default. >>;

I halfway enjoy the alchemy the time management is just a mechanic to me not good or bad by itself and I'm definitely not playing the game for "cute girls". I just wanted an honest opinion on if Ayesha has a better story and if it's worth jumping to it given that I found Rorona Plus somewhat Mediocre due to lack of a decent story.

Ayesha is the most story focused of the PS3 Atelier games. I'm not sure why you were getting such obnoxious responses either.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I tried switching out costumes and the fact the alternate costumes didn't match the in game art was what threw me.

Yeah, that's probably a part of it. It always seems to completely clash with everything around it as the original design was based around the outfits and color schemes of the originals.

Vylash

Ayesha's story isn't all that good tbh, Atelier's one year dev cycles pretty much prevent them from ever crafting a really good narrative, Ar nosurge and Ciel nosurge is what they can do when they're allowed to take their time, Atelier stories will never be anywhere near that good sadly

Ayesha is the most story focused of the PS3 Atelier games. I'm not sure why you were getting such obnoxious responses either.

At least so far, it doesn't seem any more story focused than Totori... I don't see any reason to skip Arland trilogy to go straight to Ayesha, but likewise I don't see any reason why you couldn't play dusk and then play Arland. The mechanics are different and not just complete refinement.

They are really pick up and play.

I'm also okay with none of them having super complex or anything like that stories... Not every RPG has to be on a grand scale, and even those that try often fail. Not every anime has to be Neon Genesis Evangelion to be enjoyable and that's how I view the Atelier series. They will never be the best series ever, but they are quite enjoyable and best of all, they have very few offensive elements so it's easy to just enjoy even if they are on a yearly release schedule.

ohlawd

They will never be the best series ever, but they are quite enjoyable and best of all, they have very few offensive elements so it's easy to just enjoy even if they are on a yearly release schedule.

that's where you're wrong

Atelier dah best

Shizuka

Just made Corrective Glasses, they're a godsend. Next is Hallos Village, so that I can make me some Nomadic Shoes.

I think the Dusk series (Shallie excluded, since I haven't played it yet) have a much better world than the Arland ones (which is basically generic fantasy medieval/renaissance era). There's a general sense of mystery to the world itself, but the narratives of both games are pretty personally-focused, so you never really get a complete sense of what the world is about beyond that fact it's slowly dying off (which, really, is kind of neat in itself).

The story isn't groundbreaking at all, but I definitely preferred it to Rorona's. Corona's didn't really have a story or any sense of world-building, and Ayesha at least has a lot of the latter.

ohlawd

Just made Corrective Glasses, they're a godsend. Next is Hallos Village, so that I can make me some Nomadic Shoes.

remember to make another pair of those shoes when you get access to higher level ingredients. right now, you're stuck with the weaker effects.

Shizuka

Alright, thanks.

It's not really in the budget right now, but they usually don't make this DLC available later on. Hmmmm........

I've bought all limited bundles with DLC ever since Totori Plus, I just can't stop now. If you're like me, go for it.

Just hit level 20 in alchemy and Wilbell wants me to make madder iron. Not sure where to get the phlogiston though. I feel like I'm making decent enough progress, in October of the first year and I just cleared the glass ruins.

Stuart444

I feel a little out of place reading this page considering I loved each of the Atelier games stories since Rorona. Preferred some over others but I have enjoyed each games story. Totori and Ayesha are probably my favourites though Roronas one is pretty simple yet fun and charming imo.

This thread also reminds me to buy Ayesha Plus when I have some spare money... or when there is a sale on

ohlawd

Totori's was great then that happened

you know

gonna have to wait a while for that sale :x did Rorona Plus go on sale yet? I wanna say no because I still don't have the Vita version for cheap.

jonno394

Hi guys, as someone who has never played an Atelier game, which is the best starting point? (I only have a Vita for these games btw, no PS3 :( )

Hi guys, as someone who has never played an Atelier game, which is the best starting point? (I only have a Vita for these games btw, no PS3 :( )

Vita versions are great, no reason for a sad face. The only downside is that Vita is 2 games behind the PS3.

I never finished Rorona, only played a little bit of the regular version when I got Totori on Vita when it was on sale... so my real 'start' was mid-way through the Arland trilogy and it was fine. The most you miss is a few cameos as reoccuring characters get reintroduced and each game's plot is self contained.

So where to start? Anywhere really. If you want to play the first chronologically in a series, then either play Rorona (Arland) or Ayesha (Dusk). The Arland and Dusk trilogies are completely self contained and take place in completely different worlds. Otherwise just jump in wherever, they are all very comfortable to be just picked up and played.

Ohlawd: Nope, Rorona plus hasn't been on sale yet or I'd have snapped it up to complete my Arland trilogy. Ayesha was a rare time when I jumped on the series full priced.

jonno394

Cheers, will keep an eye on PSN for when these go on sale (if ever) as I'm not 100% sure they're for me but would love to give the series a go, shame they don't have retail releases!

Cheers, will keep an eye on PSN for when these go on sale (if ever) as I'm not 100% sure they're for me but would love to give the series a go, shame they don't have retail releases!

US they very rarely go on sale (I think the last time they went on sale was last year's Golden Week sale, which is when I picked up Totori and Meruru). That said, Golden Week is only a few months away again... so hopefully...

Stuart444

US they very rarely go on sale (I think the last time they went on sale was last year's Golden Week sale, which is when I picked up Totori and Meruru). That said, Golden Week is only a few months away again... so hopefully...

Indeed, on this note for those unfamiliar with Golden Week (aka haven't played Persona 4 :p )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Week_(Japan)

So if you can wait until then, maybe they will go on sale then? Not a guarantee but you never know.

Ants

Had some time to play in line at the DMV today and I just wanted to post to celebrate defeating
Keithgriff
! If anyone else is having trouble, the advice to use Poison Aquas was spot-on, but I found Bomb Ice to be useful for lowering speed. Also poison aquas get a trait that allows you to act again more quickly if you have their Bonus high enough. Basically if you squeeze enough actions in and reduce his actions it should be a piece of cake.

I also abused Guts and Dodge with Regina by giving her the Feather Pin and Potpourri, so when Guts did trigger, she would restore 1 HP on her next turn, thus allowing her to Guts again. I did need about 3 body energy powders but all in all it was good fun. Also make sure to have Regina's uhhh action point bar thing high so she can soak hits and use Disperse if
Cool Foot
is used. Timer Bomb is tempting but not worth dying over.

If the game has more fights this interesting it'll easily climb the ranks of my favorite RPGs.

ohlawd

Ants, are you playing on Hard? the optional bosses should be fun

---

we ready for the next saga. I hope it's still for PS3 cuz I don't got a PS4 yet

---

we ready for the next saga. I hope it's still for PS3 cuz I don't got a PS4 yet

This year seems to be the year that the stragglers finally jump to next gen. I could maybe see it being cross-gen, but I doubt it'll be PS3 exclusive.

Had some time to play in line at the DMV today and I just wanted to post to celebrate defeating
Keithgriff
! If anyone else is having trouble, the advice to use Poison Aquas was spot-on, but I found Bomb Ice to be useful for lowering speed. Also poison aquas get a trait that allows you to act again more quickly if you have their Bonus high enough. Basically if you squeeze enough actions in and reduce his actions it should be a piece of cake.

I also abused Guts and Dodge with Regina by giving her the Feather Pin and Potpourri, so when Guts did trigger, she would restore 1 HP on her next turn, thus allowing her to Guts again. I did need about 3 body energy powders but all in all it was good fun. Also make sure to have Regina's uhhh action point bar thing high so she can soak hits and use Disperse if
Cool Foot
is used. Timer Bomb is tempting but not worth dying over.

If the game has more fights this interesting it'll easily climb the ranks of my favorite RPGs.

Awesome! Nice strategy. Congrats.

Falk said:
Has Gust said anything about what happens next since Shallie was 6 months ago?

Newest Atelier usually gets announced every March. So we might hear something about the next game, next month.

Stuart444 said:
It's going to be another dusk game on PS4 this time, ;) hehehe.

Hey, it's Stuart! Just curious, did you ever finish Shallie?

KojiKnight said:
Just hit level 20 in alchemy and Wilbell wants me to make madder iron. Not sure where to get the phlogiston though. I feel like I'm making decent enough progress, in October of the first year and I just cleared the glass ruins.

I could be wrong, but I think Regina sells them at the bazaar. I don't think you can find phlogiston on the field yet, it has to be bought. I'm not 100% sure though. Not sure if you have to level up the shop either.

Ants

i'm not playing on hard because i felt like since this was my first rodeo i wanted more resources to mess around with. maybe some time in the future.

If your quests are progressing the same way mine are, Phlogiston is available at the other place you're currently supposed to be investigating. Regardless, it'll be quite soon.

Stuart444

Hey, it's Stuart! Just curious, did you ever finish Shallie?

*sighs* sums it up nicely. Health issues and sleeping patterns caused a lot of issues and then new games coming out when I get things under control.

Not gonna lie, I have entertained the thought of Playing more of Shallie (early game) to see how far I can get before the English release is out (while still playing the other new releases I'm spending money on ;_; ). I mean I'm worried about burnout but the art is just so pretty. <333

I need to ponder this I think lol.

Erheller

So I'm thinking of picking up Ayesha for the PS3 (I don't have a Vita). What will I be missing compared to the Plus version?

Also, which DLC are worth getting?

Vylash

So I'm thinking of picking up Ayesha for the PS3 (I don't have a Vita). What will I be missing compared to the Plus version?

Also, which DLC are worth getting?

you're missing hard mode, costumes, the album missions, dual audio, and additional bosses, as for dlc just get the characters

*sighs* sums it up nicely. Health issues and sleeping patterns caused a lot of issues and then new games coming out when I get things under control.

Not gonna lie, I have entertained the thought of Playing more of Shallie (early game) to see how far I can get before the English release is out (while still playing the other new releases I'm spending money on ;_; ). I mean I'm worried about burnout but the art is just so pretty. <333

I need to ponder this I think lol.

Well, you can always just wait one more month to play it in English and understand the story. That's what I would do, now that the English release is so close. I was just curious if you finished it, since I knew you imported too.

And I just remembered that you did say you were really sick last year. lol Bad memories! Bad!

Stuart444

Well, you can always just wait one more month to play it in English and understand the story. That's what I would do, now that the English release is so close. I was just curious if you finished it, since I knew you imported too.

And I just remembered that you did say you were really sick last year. lol Bad memories! Bad!

Haha yeah, things haven't gotten too much better.

Still don't regret the purchase though, the CE stuff is nice :D. And I'm getting the English CE haha.

Can't resist... I have horrible self control.

Top Bottom