• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Ayesha Plus: The Alchemist Of Arland |OT| Now With Dual Audio

You can get the Plat on the first run. It's possible since I did it. If not, at least two runs. First on Hard and since you can NG+, your normal run should be much faster.

I'm not worried about plating on the first run, I just don't want to completely start over (normal mode -> hard mode) for a second run. So which is the only achievement that must be done on hard? I'll just play hard first and make that my primary goal while enjoying the rest of the game at my own pace as much as possible. Then I'll plat on a normal mode the second time through.

Shizuka

Is the trophy list the same as the PS3 version? Can I use the trophy guide for that? Is it better to start on Hard, take my time getting ready for the game and doing a NG+ on normal to get the remaining trophies?

Ants

So I just started this game and I'm not sure if I'm worrying too much about the time aspect. Right now, it seems to me that it's best to forage every single spot in an area more or less because otherwise if you need a material from them later on you need to waste days coming back. The game seems to imply you have 3 years to complete it, but when traveling from one area to another takes 3 days by default, plus there being around 4 days' worth of materials to gather per each zone I've seen so far (I just got
the second party member
and moved on to the following zone), that seems like it may in fact not be much time at all.

Merun

So I just started this game and I'm not sure if I'm worrying too much about the time aspect. Right now, it seems to me that it's best to forage every single spot in an area more or less because otherwise if you need a material from them later on you need to waste days coming back. The game seems to imply you have 3 years to complete it, but when traveling from one area to another takes 3 days by default, plus there being around 4 days' worth of materials to gather per each zone I've seen so far (I just got
the second party member
and moved on to the following zone), that seems like it may in fact not be much time at all.

3 years is perhaps 25 hours of gameplay. You shouldn't worry too much about the time limit. It's possible to finish the main quest in a 2 year in my experience, and I believe, even less. But indeed, it's usually better to gather everything if you don't know what you are going to craft. The game will slow down when you will have to start considering ingredients and skill to use during crafting, and the myriad of character events.

I just beat the game on hard mode. Took me over 50 hours. lol

Got all the character endings and cleared 6 or 7 of the puzzle panels. I got Linca's final event in the last month. That was close. :D

I had a great time. Was a lot of fun. Might do a replay later for the stuff I missed and the super bosses.

Thanks to this game, I'm now in the mood to play Atelier Escha & Lodgy, and finish it before Shallie comes out.

the second party member

It's best to clear out every new area you enter (clear all gather spots and enemies).

Later on, you'll be able to purchase books that will allow you to be able to craft equipment that will cut down the time it takes to travel to areas and gather ingredients.

My first step into an Atelier game, wish me luck.
Same. Just got this today, it'll be my first Atelier game =)
Have fun, guys! :D

ohlawd

I'm not worried about plating on the first run, I just don't want to completely start over (normal mode -> hard mode) for a second run. So which is the only achievement that must be done on hard? I'll just play hard first and make that my primary goal while enjoying the rest of the game at my own pace as much as possible. Then I'll plat on a normal mode the second time through.
normal -> hard is honestly a waste of time if your goal is to 100% Ayesha eventually. mainly because you can't carry over item registrations, equipment and money into hard mode.

the hard mode trophy is when you beat the final boss. getting that trophy nabs you the normal mode trophy as well. so really, if you think you can do everything on your first run of Hard mode, just do it.

if anyone is actually hellbent on following a guide then go ahead, follow a guide while on Hard. You won't be able to 1:1 your game with the guide but Ayesha as a whole gives out a lot of time to get everything done in time

if for some terrible reason you think you can't finish Hard mode with everything done then make it your goal to beat the final boss, make good equipment and adventure items, register good items in the shops and sell everything else that ain't equipped to your characters so you can start NG+ with a nice chunk of change

normal -> hard is honestly a waste of time if your goal is to 100% Ayesha eventually. mainly because you can't carry over item registrations, equipment and money into hard mode.

the hard mode trophy is when you beat the final boss. getting that trophy nabs you the normal mode trophy as well. so really, if you think you can do everything on your first run of Hard mode, just do it.

if anyone is actually hellbent on following a guide then go ahead, follow a guide while on Hard. You won't be able to 1:1 your game with the guide but Ayesha as a whole gives out a lot of time to get everything done in time

if for some terrible reason you think you can't finish Hard mode with everything done then make it your goal to beat the final boss, make good equipment and adventure items, register good items in the shops and sell everything else that ain't equipped to your characters so you can start NG+ with a nice chunk of change

Yeah I'm starting to think I won't bother with a 100% run, I'll probably just play normal. God I wish I had time to play it. Three times now I've started the game but had to put it down due to children, wife, or work.

vall03

You can't go NG+ from Normal to Hard?! What the hell?! Oh well, I'm not hunting for trophies since last year anyway, but that is bullshit imo. One of the things I need to have when playing on Hard is to do it after NG+ while carrying over everything. *sigh*

ohlawd

everything that NG+ carries over almost completely negates any changes made for Hard mode

NG+ possibilities, last time for clarity

possible
normal -> normal
hard -> normal

nah son
normal -> hard
hard -> hard

Ants

So I'm kinda just stumbling through the game, I'm not really sure if I'm progressing or not but I guess I discovered a bunch of new zones so that must be good.

Right now I'm synthesizing a bunch of shit because I spent a whole bunch of time getting items and I might as well solve some of these delivery requests. I just got to the point where I can choose what order to put ingredients in, and I think I don't understand it at all. It seems clear that if you put things in in the optimal order, you get either higher quality or quantity of items, but I'm not sure what logic determines what the optimal order is. I tried doing it in the order that made logical sense, like, for example, obviously you'd put in the filter first and then put ingredients in after that because that's how filters work, but that ended up getting me less items than usual, so I think I just don't understand this system at all.

I'm also not sure if it even matters the letter grade of my ingredients, and especially it seems like I'm wasting them while determining the optimal order of ingredients.

This synthesis system seems like it could be interesting but it seems pretty obtuse and punitive to the point of being a little off-putting.

Jisgsaw

So I'm kinda just stumbling through the game, I'm not really sure if I'm progressing or not but I guess I discovered a bunch of new zones so that must be good.

Right now I'm synthesizing a bunch of shit because I spent a whole bunch of time getting items and I might as well solve some of these delivery requests. I just got to the point where I can choose what order to put ingredients in, and I think I don't understand it at all. It seems clear that if you put things in in the optimal order, you get either higher quality or quantity of items, but I'm not sure what logic determines what the optimal order is. I tried doing it in the order that made logical sense, like, for example, obviously you'd put in the filter first and then put ingredients in after that because that's how filters work, but that ended up getting me less items than usual, so I think I just don't understand this system at all.

I'm also not sure if it even matters the letter grade of my ingredients, and especially it seems like I'm wasting them while determining the optimal order of ingredients.

This synthesis system seems like it could be interesting but it seems pretty obtuse and punitive to the point of being a little off-putting.

It's been more a year that I played it (and I played Escha in between), but iirc, the order of the ingredients is important for the traits and effects.
If you have and ingredient that gives a +10% effect to the next ingredient, it makes no sense to use it as last ingredient; likewise if it boost the current properties of the alchemic item, try to use it as late as possible in the fusion.
Only the last 5 (?) traits are kept on the object iirc, so the traits of the first ingredient may be deleted (not sure at all about that, as said my playthrough is pretty far back).

The alchemy system in Atlier games is pretty rich, that's why it's a little off-putting for newcommers; you'll like the game more further in, and the next entries you'll play, as you'll have a better grasp on how all that works.

Eusis

You can't go NG+ from Normal to Hard?! What the hell?! Oh well, I'm not hunting for trophies since last year anyway, but that is bullshit imo. One of the things I need to have when playing on Hard is to do it after NG+ while carrying over everything. *sigh*
That's really a balance thing: Hard HAS to be designed around what you bring over in NG+ or else it's a farce. Likewise the hard modes in something like Diablo II or Demon's Souls/Dark Souls would be insane for a new game because those are actively designed around people having end game (for the prior difficulty in the case of Diablo II) characters. Ayesha doesn't seem to bring over levels, but if you came in with higher end equipment I can definitely see the challenge demolished and so you may as well play on normal and waste a bit less time.

I'm only familiar with the original PS3 version, but don't worry too much about Synthesis early in the game. Ayesha locks off all the complicated stuff regarding synthesis until you raise your synthesis level. To answer your question at the beginning of the game the order in which your items are added is pretty unimportant and will only mildly affect the final product.

But once you start unlocking synthesis skills and the ability to pass on properties, the system gets ALOT more complicated. Unlike some of the earlier Atelier series, and the vast majority of games with a crafting system, the mechanics of Ayesha's alchemy are drip fed to the player. While it is a little obtuse, the majority of the mechanics are essentially locked until you level up. I could explain the whole alchemy system (or you could look up a guide), but that's about as helpful as trying to explain, say, the battle system of KH2 to someone who has only played the prologue. But one of the most satisfying parts of the Atelier series, IMO, is the sense of mastery you develop with the alchemy system as the game progresses. Making the "ultimate" equipment in this game involves mastering how all the alchemy mechanics interlock and will usually require you to break out an actual notebook, and finally getting all the properties onto your ultimate item is as satisfying as beating any superboss in any other RPG (unless you look up a recipe online, which defeats the point).

For the problems you're having with the "filter", know that the name/appearance of an item is just window dressing, and has nothing to do with the item. If it seems strange that adding items in different order produces different results, look at the "Traits" section of the item card (use select button to read the descriptions, which is super important but not well emphasized in game). Some items modify the effects of OTHER items (such as "doubling" wind element, for example). This can effect the final bonus you get once you create the item (again, use the select button to read the bonus effects at the very right hand size of the synthesis screen).

Falk

that puzzling face
And finally, discussion on the actual game rather than pages upon pages of purchasing decisions, trophy/difficulty discussions, etc.

A toast!

Look at the item traits.

Those item traits go into the stock yard (that box with things like "fire spirit, or good w/dirt" in the middle of the alchemy screen. You can press select to read what they do. Putting, say, "fire spirit" in the stock yard first, and then following up with a fire based item will add (+10?) to your item's Fire attribute points.

Attributes are those element bars you see to the left of the stock yard. For certain items, like bombs, heal items, weapons/armor, and accessories, if you raise certain element attributes to a certain point, the item will gain additional effects.

I'll give an example.

Nomadic Shoes is an item that reduces the time it takes to travel from point A to point B on the world map. However, the amount of time reduced depends on the item's effect.

The only attributes that matters for the Nomadic Shoes is the Wind attribute, or the green bar. There are three possible effects: Fast Walk, Run, and Like the Wind.

"Run" will lower the amount of days spent traveling more than the "Fast Walk" effect would. "Like the Wind" will lower the traveling days the same amount as "Fast Walk" but has the added bonus of making Ayesha run faster in towns and fields.

So you will want to use ingredients with traits like "Wind Power" or "Tornado" or anything that help raise wind attributes. For early game, you might not have the ingredients to gain your desired effect.

Item quality doesn't matter for Nomadic Shoes. I know for weapons and armor, each point above 50 quality will increase the base stats by 1%. I imagine, for bombs and heal items, quality would effect how powerful bomb attacks are, or how much HP/MP heal items heal.

Item traits/Stock Yard can effect your created item's elemental attributes, quality, gained properties, and CP consumption.

I think the system will click the more you mess with it. And like afreaknamedpete said, there won't be any need to worry about maxing out items early in the game, as a number of Alchemy skills will be locked unitl you level up, and the best ingredients will come later.

I'm enjoying the game so far. Started off on Hard. Great soundtrack. The performance is spotty though.

Yeah, that's one thing that bothered me about the MC herself. In English, the performance didn't feel convincing, and read the script too literally. In Japanese, the voice pitch for her is annoying during some events, particularly comedy scenes. I'm cool with the voices for the other cast members in both English and Japanese, though for this game, I prefer the Japanese cast overall.

Ants

Ok I guess I won't stress out about it too much. It seems like the big thing to worry about is the colored bars, then, and the elemental affinity of ingredients. For now I'll just focus on experimentation to raise my level.

batrush

Yeah, that's one thing that bothered me about the MC herself. In English, the performance didn't feel convincing, and read the script too literally. In Japanese, the voice pitch for her is annoying during some events, particularly comedy scenes. I'm cool with the voices for the other cast members in both English and Japanese, though for this game, I prefer the Japanese cast overall.

By performance I was actually referring to the framerate, hehe. Haven't heard the English voicework, I always enable Japanese audio when it's offered.

ohlawd

And finally, discussion on the actual game rather than pages upon pages of purchasing decisions, trophy/difficulty discussions, etc.

A toast!

when people start following step by step guides, I honestly doubt they understand the alchemy and shit

Ants

So I'm still pretty early but this alchemy system is starting to click. The colored bars each have lil milestones to hit, and the ingredients I choose affect how much bar is filled. Wind/storm/tempest power adds points to each bar, and this seems to be primarily where the ingredient order comes into play, at least for now.

What, precisely, affects the bonus bar on the right? I couldn't nail down a consistent cause and effect, and that seems like the next thing to focus on now that I understand the elemental stuff.

So I'm still pretty early but this alchemy system is starting to click. The colored bars each have lil milestones to hit, and the ingredients I choose affect how much bar is filled. Wind/storm/tempest power adds points to each bar, and this seems to be primarily where the ingredient order comes into play, at least for now.

What, precisely, affects the bonus bar on the right? I couldn't nail down a consistent cause and effect, and that seems like the next thing to focus on now that I understand the elemental stuff.

The item's level.

Example: A level 15 item would fill 15 points in that bar, but it would also consume 15 points of your CP (consumption points).

The bonus bar affects what kind of properties you get for the completed item (stats+2, HP+10, skill enhance lvl 1, etc. What you get depends on the item you're synthesizing.)

ohlawd

The item's level.

Example: A level 15 item would fill 15 points in that bar, but it would also consume 15 points of your CP (consumption points).

The bonus bar affects what kind of properties you get for the completed item (stats+2, HP+10, skill enhance lvl 1, etc)

I was gonna do an example of how properties get passed down normally, using Power Transfer, combining properties but nah

Finally downloaded this with the 10% off! Now to get to playing...

Aww, you changed your avatar. I love purple but your last one was better ;o

I was overdue for a change. gotta change it every new anime season >_>

meh I love Kirin. She's a cutie <3

ohlawd

lol

And what anime is this purple head from?

I'll let Ants figure it all out and if he/she wants to know more, we're here

Gourmet Girl Graffiti. Normally this is where I'd link gifs but... ah fuck it

e3hRwVk.gif

they eat food. and they eat normally, yup.

Finally sat down and played a bit. Ayesha's design is cute enough... but she's no Totori. Only made it to where you unlock jobs so still very early on. I like her enough, but I just don't dig her character as much as Totori.

Going on a 'roadtrip' with my wife, will get some time then to really dive into it.

As an aside to how the conversation is going... I love anime, I just don't understand ones like above... At face value an anime about food works (there are many such ones) but ones that are only very thinly veiling the fan service with it just feels... awkward.

ohlawd

the anime is normal (just some cute girls going to school) like 99% of the time

the other 1% is the Shaft quirk, so head tilts, close ups on the food, camera angles

Alright, having spent another 2-3 hours today with Ayesha, I'm starting to seriously warm up to it. The crafting system definitely feels more complicated and definitely doesn't do as good of a job describing what exactly does what... but as someone noted above I'm just kind of rolling with it till later on and hoping it is explained more there. I don't expect the minor variations when combining things in different order to mean much at this point.

I'm in July of year 1 and I already feel myself falling back into probably bad habits (exploring every nearby area instead of prioritizing story/exclamation point areas). I feel like it's also harder to tell immediately what's 'outside my level' as I very early stumbled into an area with dragons that one shotted me... Not a huge deal, just went elsewhere.

Shizuka

I'm feeling like Ayesha Plus is a grower, for sure. I started playing yesterday, almost quit after a few hours. Got back to it again today, couldn't stop playing until just about now. I think this will be the first Atelier game I actually finish since Atelier Totori on the PS3.

ohlawd

it's never been a bad idea to explore new areas. Ayesha doesn't even have a lot of places to visit. I know you've mentioned this before while playing Totori but I still can't imagine wasting all those ingame years just from exploring. that game had enough time to explore all areas three times over.

it's never been a bad idea to explore new areas. Ayesha doesn't even have a lot of places to visit. I know you've mentioned this before while playing Totori but I still can't imagine wasting all those ingame years just from exploring. that game had enough time to explore all areas three times over.

I really enjoy games where I can take my pace and just mess around. I love the crafting system for instance and if given the chance I would spend hours and hours just gathering ingredients and playing with that. What the series really needs is an endless mode... put it as an unlock at the end of each game and I'd be okay with that. I'd probably make me more focused if I knew that was the end goal...

To give you an idea, of how I play... I go out, collect everything for the available points, go to new areas if they unlock, repeat. Stop once I'm full on items, return to town, complete all the quests, make all of the things with all of the items, then repeat. Stop by random story missions if they are on the way, otherwise put off.

New area unlocks far away and I had to go back to town? On my way to new area, stop by every area I've already been, collect more things. Travel time alone eats a huge chunk of my time because of it.

"Stop doing that!" <_< but that's where I find most of my enjoyment from the game... which is why I both love and hate this series. You may see it as a ton of time, but the way I play (while 'wrong') eats through it.

It's why I don't have the same love/hate for the Persona games... Even if they have time limits, I have essentially as much time as I want to complete the gameplay segments where as the Atelier games are truly trying to hurry me along.

So once again I feel like I'm falling into those old habits, which is why Hard mode will likely only ever be a dream for me, and another Atelier game won't likely be platted (to be fair, since I've never platted a single game in my entirety of PS3/Vita owning it was never high odds to begin with).

(edit) TLDR: I want an endless mode where I can just play around in this series! Bonus if I can play around in endless mode to unlock the cutscenes I missed from crafting all day <_<

Also I'll still eat up every damn one of these that comes out even with my 'affliction'.

I really enjoy games where I can take my pace and just mess around. I love the crafting system for instance and if given the chance I would spend hours and hours just gathering ingredients and playing with that. What the series really needs is an endless mode... put it as an unlock at the end of each game and I'd be okay with that. I'd probably make me more focused if I knew that was the end goal...

To give you an idea, of how I play... I go out, collect everything for the available points, go to new areas if they unlock, repeat. Stop once I'm full on items, return to town, complete all the quests, make all of the things with all of the items, then repeat. Stop by random story missions if they are on the way, otherwise put off.

New area unlocks far away and I had to go back to town? On my way to new area, stop by every area I've already been, collect more things. Travel time alone eats a huge chunk of my time because of it.

"Stop doing that!" <_< but that's where I find most of my enjoyment from the game... which is why I both love and hate this series. You may see it as a ton of time, but the way I play (while 'wrong') eats through it.

It's why I don't have the same love/hate for the Persona games... Even if they have time limits, I have essentially as much time as I want to complete the gameplay segments where as the Atelier games are truly trying to hurry me along.

So once again I feel like I'm falling into those old habits, which is why Hard mode will likely only ever be a dream for me, and another Atelier game won't likely be platted (to be fair, since I've never platted a single game in my entirety of PS3/Vita owning it was never high odds to begin with).

(edit) TLDR: I want an endless mode where I can just play around in this series! Bonus if I can play around in endless mode to unlock the cutscenes I missed from crafting all day <_<

Also I'll still eat up every damn one of these that comes out even with my 'affliction'.

I don't know if you've heard, but the upcoming PS3 game, Atelier Shallie, has no time limit. So you can take your time doing anything in that game. :)

I don't know if you've heard, but the upcoming PS3 game, Atelier Shallie, has no time limit. So you can take your time doing anything in that game. :)

I hadn't, that makes me quite excited. Are we expecting an eventual Vita plus version?

VOsQYDA.jpg

Reminds me, one of these days I need to put some pretty backgrounds on my vita...

Hikami

Should I be switching my party members around?
I feel fine with just keeping Marion and Linca for the rest of the game.

I feel like having bought the early version and getting all of the extra outfits I should be rotating them... but her default costume just looks too good. Use the flower band instead of her default head piece...

551jTgs.jpg

In fact, the flower band is the best head piece period.

rLfplif.jpg

They are nice little bits of bonus... and as nice looking as they are, I just can't play the main game walking around in these...

ClbbK5k.jpg

Also... Wilbel's posture is atrocious...

QA80loa.jpg

ohlawd

that really explains a lot of things. I fool around too but entering old areas on the way to new ones? that's unheard of

Should I be switching my party members around?
I feel fine with just keeping Marion and Linca for the rest of the game.

if you want to see everyone else's events, yeah

I kept trying to freeze the game by spamming Marion's first move and Soul Words equipped. Can't do it :(

SUPARSTARX

Is this a remaster of a PS2/PS3 version? Why does it seem like this series' games come out like 1-2x a year for PSVita?

Is this a remaster of a PS2/PS3 version? Why does it seem like this series' games come out like 1-2x a year for PSVita?

It's a port of a 2013 PS3 game that includes a few minor extras. And yeah, new Atelier games come out on an annual schedule, though there's been a glut of Vita ports.

The precedent was set a while back: original PS3 version comes out, then 1.5-2 years later, a Vita port appears with improvements and additional content. Escha & Logy Vita just came out in Japan and the original appeared two summers ago there.

You have the yearly releases on PS3, then you have the yearly Vita ports (which are 2-3 years behind the PS3 games). So you essentially have 2 'new' Atelier games a year.

Forgot how much fun playing on Vita is. Much easier to take random screens while playing.

210MdBl.jpg

Just feels like something that gaf would appreciate me posting.

So I finally got around to running into them after telling them I'd meet them at the ruins, roughly 3 in-game months later. Slowly making my way back to the main city, discovering places as I go. I thought I was starting to understand what the significance of putting objects in one at a time did... but nope. I have at least started to pick up on what types of effects stack/merge so there's that at least.

I do notice that Ayesha seems a lot more laid back than the other protags when it comes to her time limit... She's only briefly mentioned her sister a couple times and outside of that she seems quite content to just hang out with her friends at the bazaar and what not without constantly reminding me to stress out over time.

bomblord1

Banned
So after playing and finishing Atelier Rorona I was left really wanting a game like this that's a lot more story focused.

Gaf, would I be better off skipping the Arland Trilogy and jumping into Ayesha?

Falk

that puzzling face
Totori and Meruru have a little bit more of a plot (Totori's focus, for better or worse, is on 'adventure' which leads to a slightly less structured and slightly more confusing setup) but if you're after more of a conventional JRPG plot progression, yes, go for Dusk trilogy. Or better yet, Atelier Iris.

ohlawd

So after playing and finishing Atelier Rorona I was left really wanting a game like this that's a lot more story focused.

Gaf, would I be better off skipping the Arland Trilogy and jumping into Ayesha?

go ahead and skip the better trilogy cuz lolstory

Top Bottom