• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky |OT| Just Pretend it's Mana-Khemia 3

Tizoc

Preordered from EB. $72 after taxes and shipping. That's almost how much I paid for each of NIS' Arland CEs. Thanks, Canada. Not only that, it looks like it's coming out here on the 12th instead of the 11th but Amazon still has it on the 11th.

Disgusting but it must be done for that delicious midriff.

Why not just get it digital from US PSN?

Tizoc

Guarantee me Escha's pirate outfit and I'll get it from there.

Well I'd say the pirate outfit DLC+Digital game would come to less than $73 >_>
You kids these days and your ficitional 2D waifus and you dressing them up, you gotta resist this silly cash grab attempt son!

ohlawd

Well I'd say the pirate outfit DLC+Digital game would come to less than $73 >_>
You kids these days and your ficitional 2D waifus and you dressing them up, you gotta resist this silly cash grab attempt son!

I can save $10 if I pick it up in person but the dudes at the cash can't guarantee me my costume either :(

I'm part of the problem and I'm soooorta okay with it :D

Jisgsaw

Anybody having already beaten the game here?

I was wondering how exactly both character sides played.
I usually play Ateliers games more for the alchemy, but all the moe things get on my nerves after some time. And I've beaten Ayesha and Totori recently, so my tolerance might be a bit low right now. Would Logy's side be a good choice for a first run, or is the alchemy really put in the background with him?

Ken

oh man

this screen sold me on the game

N0LCEzKl.jpg

although this and dark souls 2 on the same day is troublesome

Rarutos

oh man

this screen sold me on the game

I felt obligated to include a screenshot with Linca because she was my favorite in Ayesha (aside from Juris).

I'm glad she's back though, maybe we can finally get some closure on her story.

Yazuka

I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I couldn't find anything just checking the thread quickly.
Does this game also have the passing days/time thing that Atelier Rororna and those games had? I had a bit of problem with that and felt stressed when playing, it took away alot of the fun for me.
Not the best description I know, but hopefully you know what I mean.

Soriku

I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I couldn't find anything just checking the thread quickly.
Does this game also have the passing days/time thing that Atelier Rororna and those games had? I had a bit of problem with that and felt stressed when playing, it took away alot of the fun for me.

It has a time limit but it's supposed to be more lenient (it seems to be getting more lenient with every game actually?)

Yazuka

It has a time limit but it's supposed to be more lenient (it seems to be getting more lenient with every game actually?)

Hm, okay. Well that sounds pretty okay.
Does Logy's more adventure side of the game also have a time limit?

Rarutos

For future reference, I answered that question in the F.A.Q. on the OP.

That pretty much seems to be the trend.

Rorona's was super strict.

Totori gave you more time and didn't really hold you to having to make something by a certain time.

I never really got that far in Meruru to comment, >_>

Ayesha was like oh you got like two years to finish the main story.

Rarutos

Meruru's time limit was way more lenient than Totori's if I recall correctly. Then Ayesha made it even more easy. I'm pretty sure I had a whole year to do nothing on my second run of Ayesha.

Yeah, I saw that now. As I said before, I just check quickly and didn't see anything.
I should just have payed more attention.
No worries! Just telling you if you have any questions, to check the OP first. :)

Vylash

Yeah, the time limit is perfectly fine once you get used to it, I felt stressed at first but once you really settle into it and learn how to properly manage your time it's not even an issue

ohlawd

I actually really like the stricter time limits. I wanna feel the pressure and let's be real, even Rorona's gave plenty of time to finish the tasks.

Rarutos

I actually really like the stricter time limits. I wanna feel the pressure and let's be real, even Rorona's gave plenty of time to finish the tasks.

I agree, it really did give you more than enough time to finish everything. Just gotta make sure you're on the ball for the tasks!

Yazuka

That they are more lenient with the time limit sounds really good.
Might have to get into both this and Ayesha then.

Rarutos

That they are more lenient with the time limit sounds really good.
Might have to get into both this and Ayesha then.

I'm sure Ayesha will not stress you out at all in terms of time limits! Just make sure you go out and do the tasks it assigns you and it'll be a piece of cake! Can't really speak for Escha & Logy yet though.

Meruru's time limit was way more lenient than Totori's if I recall correctly. Then Ayesha made it even more easy. I'm pretty sure I had a whole year to do nothing on my second run of Ayesha.

Oh yeah, Ayesha was super easy. On my first run, I had about 10 months of nothing to really do since I had to wait until like it officially became year 3 so the remaining character events and such finally opened up.

I never really had trouble with Rorona's time limit either. The only one I did was Totori but it was only really cause I kept avoiding building the boat for some reason.

Vylash

Maybe if they release a full artbook for the Dusk games, which depends if Gust is planning to release a third game in this world or not.

They've said Dusk will at least be a trilogy, but for now you can just import the Ayesha and Escha artbooks

Rarutos

They've said Dusk will at least be a trilogy, but for now you can just import the Ayesha and Escha artbooks

Where have they said that, out of curiosity? I was expecting Dusk to only have two games, because Gust has gone with a 3-2-3-2 thing in terms of games in a sub-series and haven't broken it yet.

Christhor

I felt obligated to include a screenshot with Linca because she was my favorite in Ayesha (aside from Juris).

I'm glad she's back though, maybe we can finally get some closure on her story.

How can Keithgriff not be someone's favourite? No comprende.

I'm really excited for Threia, appearance wise she looks like a female Griffith (Berserk) and in Dusk context she looks related to Keith. If that doesn't make the best character ever, I'll be surprised.

Rarutos

Hm, not sure if that means it's going to be a trilogy per se. It could just mean it will get a spin-off of some sort too. We'll see I suppose!

How can Keithgriff not be someone's favourite? No comprende.

I'm really excited for Threia, appearance wise she looks like a female Griffith (Berserk) and in Dusk context she looks related to Keith. If that doesn't make the best character ever, I'll be surprised.
lol, I'm pretty sure Threia IS related to Keith, actually! The last name kind of gives it away.

Rarutos

Aw, how can someone hate that lovable tsundere?I mean, except for all of the people who wanted to track him down and bring him to justice in Ayesha.

I have a feeling it has something to do with the latter half of what you said, haha. But yeah, he is a pretty lovable tsundere old guy.

This is so bought next week! :D I still have to chug through the rest and finish Rorona and I only took a peak into Ayesha but I loved everything I've seen so far and heck even if my backlog grows and grows, collecting RPGs alone is a very satisfying feeling because I know I will eventually get to play them :p

Though I wonder, am I the only one who feels that the opening of Escha & Logy is a step back? I don't think it's bad as it sets a certain narrative and atmosphere but I feel that Ayesha's tranquil opening was so good that this one feels weaker D:

And I really want to make a custom boxart for it again like with all Atelier PS3 games before though I have to say the art I find online for Escha & Logy, for whatever reason I hardly can find anything at all :(

EDIT: I just checked the official Japanese website and the sites for all Atelier games are really well done though unlike Ayesha's even this one couldn't save me in terms of having something for a custom-cover :/

neoemonk

I've never played any of these games but the screenshots in the OP look really nice. How would you describe the series to a complete newcomer?

Shengar

I've never played any of these games but the screenshots in the OP look really nice. How would you describe the series to a complete newcomer?

Durante summed it up pretty nice

I can't sell you on Escha & Logy, I haven't played it. I can sell you on the Atelier series as a whole though. It's interesting because it
- is far more non-linear than most eastern (and even many western) RPGs, with independent quest arcs, lots of sidequests, and many different endings depending on your choices
- has multiple gameplay subsystems which are well-developed (e.g. alchemy, or the kingdom building in Meruru), not just combat like most JRPGs
- includes an aspect of time management and optimization which really appeals to me. You have to think about what you do in which order to maximize what you can achieve in a given unit of time
- has beautiful art

In conclusion:
tumblr_m0t73kqilo1qzet0pjn.jpg

Also obligatory

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I am so hyped for this! :D

The Atelier series places a strong emphasis of item creation and time management as its core engagement systems. The stories are usually light-hearted and usually not about world ending apocalypses (though Escha & Logy's world is a post-apocalypse world) and are usually about the characters and the relationships they forge while managing their work.

Escha & Logy differs in that there are two protagonists this time. Escha's route plays like a "typical" Atelier game, where Logy's campaign plays more like a normal JRPG. At least that's what I hear, I haven't played his route yet. Escha's item creation focuses on items, while Logy's item creation focuses on equipment from what I recall.

Is this game like Totori where you can do everything and get the true ending in one playthrough or is it like Meruru where it forces you to do some stuff in new game plus?

Actually, I'd also like to know the same answer for Ayesha...

Top Bottom