• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland |OT| - Alchemy, Barrels, and Patches for Bugs

Volcynika said:
Ok, new review from Diehard GameFAN (never heard of them), but noticed this little bit about crashes and then an issue if you go for the true ending.:

http://diehardgamefan.com/2010/09/27/review-atelier-rorona-the-alchemist-of-arland-ps3/

Ah, NISA is true to form. I'll still be buying this day one, I just won't be playing it day one. Wait for at least one patch. And speaking of day one, when will I be able to pick this up from GameStop, tomorrow or Wednesday?

Volcynika

rainking187 said:
Ah, NISA is true to form. I'll still be buying this day one, I just won't be playing it day one. Wait for at least one patch. And speaking of day one, when will I be able to pick this up from GameStop, tomorrow or Wednesday?

I preordered there and got zero notice of my preorder being available tomorrow so......possibly Wednesday.

dolemite

Is the art book included with the Gamestop edition only? Amazon is selling the game for $49.82 already but no booklet.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm kinda craving for an HD RPG.

Hopefully its so much better than Cross Edge.

xero273

dolemite said:
Is the art book included with the Gamestop edition only? Amazon is selling the game for $49.82 already but no booklet.

Yes, gamestop only sells the limited edition which comes with the art book.

Gravijah

Hunahan said:
I haven't played this series since Atelier Iris 1.

Has it gotten significantly better? I hated that game....

If you don't like AI1, I seriously can't see you liking any of the other games in the series. Maybe, I guess.

Hunahan

Banned
Gravijah said:
If you don't like AI1, I seriously can't see you liking any of the other games in the series. Maybe, I guess.
Righteo.

Thanks for the warning. I think I'll heed it.

Too many other things to do anyways.

Cheers.

Seems that some people have been told that stores like Gamestop might not be getting the game until Thursday due to a shipping error. That doesn't really affect me much but does anyone know if this is true? Just curious. I didn't preorder so I'd like to be at the store when it comes in.

Volcynika

Kamen Rider Prism said:
Seems that some people have been told that stores like Gamestop might not be getting the game until Thursday due to a shipping error. That doesn't really affect me much but does anyone know if this is true? Just curious. I didn't preorder so I'd like to be at the store when it comes in.

I called mine and they said it's scheduled to arrive tomorrow for them, but something might've happened, it's possible.

GPsych

Any impressions yet from those who have the game? Amazon shipped mine yesterday but I won't get it until tomorrow. I really know next to nothing about this game, but I've been craving a traditional turn-based RPG with a slice-of-life style campaign.

Quixzlizx

Hunahan said:
Righteo.

Thanks for the warning. I think I'll heed it.

Too many other things to do anyways.

Cheers.

I'd like to make a counterpoint. I was only able to get a few hours into AI1, but really enjoyed Mana Khemia. It's not like all of the Atelier games are identical with incrementally better graphics. However, the one thing that is very similar in them all is that the games all focus around the alchemy system. If you couldn't stand that part of AI, then yeah, you should definitely pass.

FireCloud

Picking mine up today from Gamestop.

This will be my first game in the series. Will I be lost by not having played the previous titles?

Momo

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
Just received it today. Gonna check it out later. I'm excited for a legitimate turn based JRPG on PS3.
I need to murder the person that decided to make most turn based RPG's into ARPG's I find ARPG's battles to be most random unplayable nonsense :/ (with exceptions of course).

Yazuka

Yeah, just about anything is better than Cross Edge...
My copy of the game has finally been shipped! Hoepfully I can try this baby in the begining of next week. Looking forward to it.

Called GameStop and they said they had it in stock, gonna head over there soon. Unfortunately it's like 4000 degrees outside, but I want the game.

rainking187 said:
Called GameStop and they said they had it in stock, gonna head over there soon. Unfortunately it's like 4000 degrees outside, but I want the game.
The gamestop site is saying that it isn't in stock with 100 miles. You think their site is slow to update?

xero273

Big Papa Husker said:
The gamestop site is saying that it isn't in stock with 100 miles. You think their site is slow to update?

You are better off calling your store. For me, stores around here will have it but site doesn't show it until the next day.

atomsk

Party Pooper
my gamestop had them in even though they never called/texted

for those who did the jailbreak and are wary of games that may update firmware, this does work on 3.41

(now I can hold off on buying a 2nd PS3 till Yakuza 4/Disaster Report 4 come out)

matmanx1

The Gamestop LE is seriously gorgeous. This is far and away the best packaging for an NIS game I've ever seen from them. Whoever is responsible for it deserves serious kudos. Now off to play....!

Volcynika

jiji said:
So NISA aged-up Rorona from 14 to 17, and her friend from 13 to 16.

http://jin115.com/archives/51714363.html

Zuh?

Well the game does take place over 3 years, so they might've just done that or whatever.

Got my copy from GameStop, some pictures!

8tyda.jpg

09dMn.jpg

jF9gq.jpg

rCVp6.jpg

cJXCn.jpg

Volcynika

jiji said:
It's just kind of inexplicable and weird, like how they made everybody 21 in the US release of Evil Zone for PS1.

Again like my earlier post, they probably just put the ages that everyone ends up as at the end, if everyone did age just 3 years.

notworksafe

atomsk said:
i got the same call, but they already had a stack of them in today :lol
Yeah I called the actual store right after and asked...they don't have any. I asked if any other preorderers were bugging him as much as me and he replied, "No one else preordered it."

:(

I picked mine up today. I thought it was quite nice. The sides of the box are very bizarre though. The same thing on every side. I was very pleased that my copy wasn't gutted or damaged in any way. I also got one of the new Power Up rewards cards.

notworksafe said:
Yeah I called the actual store right after and asked...they don't have any. I asked if any other preorderers were bugging him as much as me and he replied, "No one else preordered it."

:(
I stopped by my GS and they didn't have it on the shelf yet... it was still sitting behind the counter. They only got 2 in, one for someone who preordered and one extra, which I bought.

matmanx1

Early impressions:

1)Love the music! It's very "Gust" and reminiscent of their past titles (especially Ar Tonelico) and they do some great soundtracks. So far, this one seems to be no exception.

2)The gameplay is strangely addicting. I can see myself putting alot of hours into this one without really trying to. The combination of gathering, accepting quests, fighting some battles, getting friend requests, and searching out new recipes means you always have something to do but the assignment time limit helps to keep you on track and to prioritize the important assignments over others. So far, I like the formula alot!

3)Did
Astrid
insinuate that she
molested Rorona
while she slept? Big wtf moment for me. It seems all the ladies find Rorona quite kawaii so far!

Alucrid said:
Not sure if I can play this and keep the respect of my roommates. Hm.

When I lived in the dorms, people laughed when I played Harvest Moon. Until I started naming animals after everyone on the floor, and then people would get pissed if they didn't have a farm animal named after them. "Why does Brian have a chicken, but you won't name your cow Pat?"

Volcynika

Yeah, this game really has the "Well I'll just do one more quest/task" pull of it. I had to complete all the available quests at the start, I just had to! I just got my first assignment so I'm going to focus on that now.

Music's enjoyable, and I like the English VAs. Rorona's VA pulls of her high-stress moments pretty well, though I kinda made a :| face when I saw Esty's last name. Silly NISA!

Also, "Barrel" not voiced in English makes me :(

Hobbun

For those of you who have done a good chunk of the game, do you find yourself running out of time a lot and therefore missing things you are able to achieve, or will achieve? One thing that concerns me is the perpetual time limit associated with the game.

Top Bottom