• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland |OT| - Alchemy, Barrels, and Patches for Bugs

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How is this game compared to Atelier Iris 1? I had fun with 1 until the my copy broke after killing the last boss and I didn't like 2 as much.

Cornbread78

looks nice! Have they released a trophy list for the game yet? I'm always curious for RPGs, devs seem to love you to have to play their RPGs for 500+ hours to even get close to a platinum trophy.

Volcynika

Cornbread78 said:
looks nice! Have they released a trophy list for the game yet? I'm always curious for RPGs, devs seem to love you to have to play their RPGs for 500+ hours to even get close to a platinum trophy.

Haven't looked but trophies I know of

Hidden trophies include story/plot events (I got one just when Rorona was given control of the workshop, not sure what else is hidden)
Trophies for clearing each assignment (main plot stuff you have to do over the course of the game)
Trophies for seeing True ending / Good ending / Bad ending image
Trophies for Game Over (yeah I was like what?)
Trophies for maxing out trust level, friendship, etc.
Trophies for beating certain (probably high level) monsters in certain areas you explore.

This is Gust's first PS3 game so I'm not sure how they handled trophies in general, because a lot of JRPGs and such require a shitton of grinding and such.

I remember reading when the japanese version was released that a lot of the trophys are based on seeing different endings, going to take a while to platinum it.

FireCloud

^^^^^ yeah, I noticed those last night.

Does anyone know where to get the dead beast? Stupidly, I accepted a task that asks for three of those things not noticing that I only had two and I don't know where I got them.

Volcynika

FireCloud said:
^^^^^ yeah, I noticed those last night.

Does anyone know where to get the dead beast? Stupidly, I accepted a task that asks for three of those things not noticing that I only had two and I don't know where I got them.

If you're early in the game, I think I got one from the wolf enemies in the first area you can go to.

FireCloud

Volcynika said:
If you're early in the game, I think I got one from the wolf enemies in the first area you can go to.

Yeah, I'm pretty early in the game.
Just turned in my first assignment for the shop. I haven't noticed any wolves yet. Just blue and green blobs.

Seems I got the two that I have from
the souvenir brought back from the parent's trip.
Guess, I'll find out what happens when you miss a deadline :-(

expy

Banned
Disappointed that Canada didn't get the Premium Edition at Gamestop/EBGames. At least Best Buy undercut them by $5.00.

expy said:
Disappointed that Canada didn't get the Premium Edition at Gamestop/EBGames. At least Best Buy undercut them by $5.00.

That seems really weird, considering the outer box is bilingual in english and french. I don't know why they'd do that unless they were planning to sell it in Canada as well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
expy said:

Yeah, I asked about that in store and they had no clue.
No Premium confirmed?

kyo_daikun said:
How much was the premium edition of this game?

The $140 asking price on ebay is a little much for me...

Which version, there was a game/soundtrack/artbook bundle from the NISA store that retailed for $60. Then there's the game/artbook/outer box set from GameStop that was $60 as well. If you're interested in the GameStop version it's still in stock on the website.

rainking187 said:
Which version, there was a game/soundtrack/artbook bundle from the NISA store that retailed for $60. Then there's the game/artbook/outer box set from GameStop that was $60 as well. If you're interested in the GameStop version it's still in stock on the website.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Atelier-Roron...0549?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item255dc98fa5

Im assuming its the Gamestop version, I hate buying off Gamestop because it feels dirty paying $45 of import duties to the UK.

Cant beleive he's asking for over double the retail price.

Alucrid

Banned
FutureZombie said:
When I lived in the dorms, people laughed when I played Harvest Moon. Until I started naming animals after everyone on the floor, and then people would get pissed if they didn't have a farm animal named after them. "Why does Brian have a chicken, but you won't name your cow Pat?"

So...I just need to name these girls after them?

I thought you were going somewhere a lot darker with that story. :lol

matmanx1

Dead Beast can be gotten off of the Wolves in the forest area. Pass through the area with the green puni's and the next area will be the wolf area. Wolves are tougher than green puni's fyi.

Regarding the time issue I am only through the first assignment but I didn't find it to to be a big deal. I missed out of finishing a request or two but only because I misread the due date (haha) but the game lets you retake those requests right away and turn them in. I was done with the materials for the first assignment a good 10 days in advance allowing me to work on material gathering and friendship requests.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My first Atelier game and it's fantastic. Although a lot of things feel hidden and I almost wish there was a FAQ/walkthrough for the game (what do I get for leveling up a skill? how do I find higher quality crafting items? etc), I'm having fun playing through it and crafting items.

Yeah, the anime story can get too much (Astrid keeps trying to sexually harass Rorona, lawl?) but it's a nice change of pace from a lot of RPGs. I'm sure the scope of the story will widen out, but I'm just enjoying a game where you just go around killing things not because they're about to destroy the world but because you just need to make a living.

matmanx1

firehawk12 said:
My first Atelier game and it's fantastic. Although a lot of things feel hidden and I almost wish there was a FAQ/walkthrough for the game (what do I get for leveling up a skill? how do I find higher quality crafting items? etc), I'm having fun playing through it and crafting items.

Yeah, the anime story can get too much (Astrid keeps trying to sexually harass Rorona, lawl?) but it's a nice change of pace from a lot of RPGs. I'm sure the scope of the story will widen out, but I'm just enjoying a game where you just go around killing things not because they're about to destroy the world but because you just need to make a living.

Exactly. It's got that "slice of life" angle nailed pretty well and it's enjoyable in a completely different way than most games. I've become a big fan of Gust over the years because their underlying gameplay mechanics tend to be pretty fantastic (and let's not forget the sound tracks!) and so far Atelier Rorona is no exception.

notworksafe

Finally got into it tonight! Did a couple of assignments for Esty, and I just got my first Assignment from Sterk.

Just wondering, is there a guide on what places are the best for gathering certain items or is it basically just explore and work it out on your own? I've got plenty of time before it is due so I'll head and and do some exploring of different areas.

Also is it just me or is every woman in this game hitting on Rorona? Very odd...

Volcynika

IGN review out, they gave it a 5/10

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/112/1124895p1.html

If Atelier Rorona was more fleshed out, and I was actually involved in gathering and alchemic recipes, then it could be a compelling RPG. But its standard battle system, cute style, and WTF dialogue don't make the game good. It does make the game one of those titles that cause your friends to worry you've gone all creeper, though, so it's got that going for it.

IGN RATINGS FOR ATELIER RORONA: THE ALCHEMIST OF ARLAND (PS3)

5.0 Presentation
Lots of talking heads, that say some of the most inapporiate things I've ever seen in a T game.
6.0 Graphics
The style is cute, but this really looks like a very fancy PS2 game.
4.0 Sound
The music is bad, and the voice acting is worse. Repetitive droning and high pitched whines respectively.
5.5 Gameplay
The battle system is fine, but the game is very repetitive and nothing more than fetch quests.
6.0 Lasting Appeal
The multiple endings are interesting, but they're all so simple that it's hard to get excited to try for them.

Random details--

*Hates the English VA, says JP VA exists for people that tell themselves it's better, wants to turn it off.
*All characters are creepy, moreso the molestation jokes and the actual molestation.
*Found the gameplay not as interesting, annoyed by time limits
*A positive of giving the player freedom to do what they want.

All right, first assignment complete. This game is pretty addictive. I noticed my Persona 4 habits of getting the dungeon/exploration stuff done with quickly and then doing other stuff have returned. Pretty much spent the last month before the due date synthesizing and stuff.

ign said:
Child molestation jokes are always funny, right?

Okay, clearly this is not the guy that should be reviewing the game.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Based on the reviews up thread, this game is a god damned anime game. If you hate anime, you probably won't like it.

That said, it's weird to judge the game like that... because ME2 should get a shit score for having the most generic space marine story ever written, not to mention the "awkward skin tight boob suit" that Miranda wears.

Not that I want to be a fanboy, but it's just annoying for people to shit on JRPG stories when WRPG stories are just as bad and have the same shitty form of objectification.

I'm kind of stuck in the mines though... no idea what to use to get past this giant boulder... which probably means I should take a break for a while. I still like the game though, but the lack of feedback from the UI is getting a bit frustrating. Somehow I managed to get a skill that autoheals one of my characters but I don't know how that happened. :lol

firehawk12 said:
Based on the reviews up thread, this game is a god damned anime game. If you hate anime, you probably won't like it.

That said, it's weird to judge the game like that... because ME2 should get a shit score for having the most generic space marine story ever written, not to mention the "awkward skin tight boob suit" that Miranda wears.

Not that I want to be a fanboy, but it's just annoying for people to shit on JRPG stories when WRPG stories are just as bad and have the same shitty form of objectification.

I'm kind of stuck in the mines though... no idea what to use to get past this giant boulder... which probably means I should take a break for a while. I still like the game though, but the lack of feedback from the UI is getting a bit frustrating. Somehow I managed to get a skill that autoheals one of my characters but I don't know how that happened. :lol

You know I'd be able to forgive the guy's score and anti-weaboo stance if he ACTUALLY REVIEWED THE GAME. He said nothing about the battle system and didn't explain how synthesis worked at all. He was basically just going on and on about anime cliches, some of which he was clearly misinformed about.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
cosmicblizzard said:
You know I'd be able to forgive the guy's score and anti-weaboo stance if he ACTUALLY REVIEWED THE GAME. He said nothing about the battle system and didn't explain how synthesis worked at all. He was basically just going on and on about anime cliches, some of which he was clearly misinformed about.

That's because when you review a JRPG, it's easier to just talk about how you hate anime.

I mean, at least Giantbomb doesn't even bother reviewing/discussing JRPGs. They just assume they exist and move on to bald space marine #43123.5.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It'll be better if you read a site that specializes in RPG reviews such as RPGFan.com

Ellis Kim

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
All right, first assignment complete. This game is pretty addictive. I noticed my Persona 4 habits of getting the dungeon/exploration stuff done with quickly and then doing other stuff have returned. Pretty much spent the last month before the due date synthesizing and stuff.

Okay, clearly this is not the guy that should be reviewing the game.
No kidding. Surely IGN must have a dedicated japanese sub-culture expert who could have spent his or her time reviewing the game than this guy :/

Or the reviewer could have actually reviewed the game :\

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm all for single-page reviews, but reading the thing, its just poor.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ellis Kim said:
No kidding. Surely IGN must have a dedicated japanese sub-culture expert who could have spent his or her time reviewing the game than this guy :/

Or the reviewer could have actually reviewed the game :\
I dunno, if their podcasts are any indication, I don't think they have their own equivalent of Jeremy Parish or Kat Bailey.

Ellis Kim

Banned
firehawk12 said:
I dunno, if their podcasts are any indication, I don't think they have their own equivalent of Jeremy Parish or Kat Bailey.
Ah. Yeah, I don't listen to IGN's podcasts. I think I tried to once, possibly a very early episode, or the first one they had, and it was just a mess.

Every game review site should have at least one dedicated j-culture fan :/

Finaika

Ellis Kim said:
To where? Just scattered to the winds?
vqu1ix.jpg

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Tagging this thread so I don't forget the name. I seem to remember playing one of these a long time ago on the PS2 and having some fun with it, and I'm jonsin' for a JRPG. This seems to be a pretty solid game, judging by reception.

matmanx1

Well, clearly the IGN guy has his own opinion and it's vastly different than mine and most of the other people who have reviewed it. I'm enjoying the game and I think it does what it sets out to do pretty well. It tells a fairly simple story about a girl and her "quest" to become an alchemist and save her shop. She has friends who help her but by in large it's her own effort and volition that's going to see her through.

Along the way you get to see some of her relationships (and yes, their are some weird hints at molestation by other women towards Rorona and no I won't defend that except to say that most of it is pretty tongue in cheek) and you get to see her sort of grow up and become the alchemist she wants to be. There's a fairly simple turn based battle system at work and it's not the star of the show but it's not supposed to be. It's simply there as a vehicle for exploration and resource gathering.

I disagree with the IGN guy about the music wholeheartedly. I like what I've heard of the soundtrack so far. And the art and character modeling are good enough that I wish the "talking" heads" would go away and we'd get all in engine stuff but obviously that would be alot more expensive for Gust to model. (And as an aside I wish Gust would get a real AAA budget for a game some day. I bet they could do something awesome with it!)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I too, am really enjoying this! :) Making the deadline is easy at first, but slowly grows harder over time. ^^

Torillian

Neo Member
Volcynika said:
IGN review out, they gave it a 5/10

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/112/1124895p1.html

Random details--

*Hates the English VA, says JP VA exists for people that tell themselves it's better, wants to turn it off.
*All characters are creepy, moreso the molestation jokes and the actual molestation.
*Found the gameplay not as interesting, annoyed by time limits
*A positive of giving the player freedom to do what they want.

Out of curiosity has anyone gotten to the point the reviewer references where the armor shop keeper actually molests Rorona. I played through the entire game and didn't get anything like that. Maybe I shoulda done more of the armor shopkeeper's quests, or less if I want to avoid paying for Rorona's therapy bills.

expy

Banned
Torillian said:
Out of curiosity has anyone gotten to the point the reviewer references where the armor shop keeper actually molests Rorona. I played through the entire game and didn't get anything like that. Maybe I shoulda done more of the armor shopkeeper's quests, or less if I want to avoid paying for Rorona's therapy bills.
I've finished my first playthrough and I'm well onto my second. And I don't recall any "molestation" but there are some pretty funny moments in that shop.

Just got handed a copy of this today, so I'll be digging into it all weekend between sessions of Castlevania. I started it up tonight, and despite it being my first Atelier game, I felt comfortable with the setup pretty quickly. They definitely provide lots to do, so as long as that keeps up, I feel like the game should flow pretty smoothly.

I saw someone mentioned being into their second playthrough. Is there any sort of new game+ option in here?

Volcynika

I know this comic is a few days old but a NISA employee posted this crudely drawn comic on their blog:

RoronaSubtitle-614x1024.jpg

:lol This land is Arland.

Tailzo

Did the euro release get pushed back? I decided to preorder it, but looking at the shipping date, I\ll have to wait a bit before being able to play it.

Tailzo said:
Did the euro release get pushed back? I decided to preorder it, but looking at the shipping date, I\ll have to wait a bit before being able to play it.

Still down as next week isnt it?

I ordered an american premium edition off ebay a week ago, still no shipping email or anything tho...

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Volcynika said:
I know this comic is a few days old but a NISA employee posted this crudely drawn comic on their blog:

http://nisamerica.com/emblog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/RoronaSubtitle-614x1024.jpg[IMG]

:lol This land is Arland.[/QUOTE]

:lol Alchemy never looked so young!

androvsky

Ellis Kim said:
Ah. Yeah, I don't listen to IGN's podcasts. I think I tried to once, possibly a very early episode, or the first one they had, and it was just a mess.

Every game review site should have at least one dedicated j-culture fan :/

IGN has one one, Ryan Clements. For some reason he's never assigned to review smaller games like this, but he does get the bigger JRPGs (he reviewed White Knight Chronicles). Sam Bishop used to handle games like this (he reviewed Ar Tonelico 2 for them and gave it something like a 9/10), but he doesn't seem to do much for IGN anymore.

The review of Rorona reads like it's an intern who's pissed he's not getting to review a shooter, honestly. The picture of the "manliest man in the game" is obviously just trolling, even the trailer has some pretty beefy dudes iirc.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I just wanted to check in to see how everyone is doing with the game? I got paralyzed with missing deadlines and worrying about the town hating me, so I put the game away for a bit. :lol

Top Bottom