• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland |OT| - Alchemy, Barrels, and Patches for Bugs

notworksafe

I'm still working on it. I'm on the 3rd assignment. It's tougher for me to play this because I'm so used to portable RPGs now.

I usually just play 30 mins a day on a portable game during my lunch break so I get through those much faster.

Tailzo

kyo_daikun said:
Still down as next week isnt it?

I ordered an american premium edition off ebay a week ago, still no shipping email or anything tho...
well, the 22. has passed, and Rorona still isn't in stock, and hasn't been sent.

Anyone in Europe got it?

sublimit

Banned
The only thing that is keeping me from getting this is the time based limitations in missions.I usually like to take my time when exploring worlds in RPGs (even in linear ones.)

Tailzo

Got it today. It has a lot of addictive sidequests. Everytime I though "Alright, I can play more tomorrow..:", I had to do another sidequest. Also I like how you can ask Rorona if she think she'll be able to do the quest or not. She'll say it if you already got the required items.

The battlesystem is kinda tense too, since everything resolves around HP. You use mp for specials, but you also die if you run out of mp. So far I haven't had to rest a single time though. I can get hp by making food.

I think I'll be able to enjoy it.

My copy finally arrived today from america, going to put down New vegas and start playing this (mainly due to the bugs and crashes, i'll be glad to wait till they patch the hell out of it0

Can't beleive how long i've been waiting!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh man, this game. The theme song is still in my head, but I haven't touched it in a while. The whole quest deadline thing was giving me too much to worry about, so I'm just waiting for a FAQ to explain it all. Although I suppose the point is that there's NG+ so you don't have to play like that, but oh well. :lol

I got it for 20 euro new.

I couldn't find the game but in two stores, each 50 euro. So I said, I'll just wait and see.

Yesterday, another store had it in and was selling it for 20 euro. And it was factory sealed. So I just had to give in... :D

Durante

How have I not posted in this thread yet?

Anyway, I greatly enjoy this game, but it's horrible OCD-fodder. I'm at year 2 month 5 and have the townspeople at 100% (had that in the first year already), and 7 out of 10 NPCs at 100 friendship points. I basically check each one of them for a quest every single day that I spend in the city :lol

Also, there are those items that take eg. 0.3 days to make, and I always have to make enough of them so that no fraction of a day is wasted (eg. 10 if it's 0.3).

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Took a bit to warm up to it, but enjoying it a lot now. I like the cute and charming characters. The gameplay isn't very relaxing if you tend to be a completionist like I usually am though!

lljride

Tempy said:
Took a bit to warm up to it, but enjoying it a lot now. I like the cute and charming characters. The gameplay isn't very relaxing if you tend to be a completionist like I usually am though!
I just bought this game last week (barely through the first assignment), but I can definitely see the time constraints being a little nerve wracking for me. Doesn't help that I'm trying for the platinum trophy, so I'm afraid I'll waste a few days doing something inefficient.

Still, the game definitely has a lot of charm, and the base gameplay is fun.

Still haven't started this yet, my backlog is killing me (did manage to get through a few games last month tho)

Hopefully after Mass effect 2, dead space 2 and LBP 2 have passed I can get on it!

Lain

Bought this a few days ago, but only played the introduction, when Rorona is left with the Alchemy shop.
Since I hate timed stuff, should I go with some faqs to tackle this, or is most stuff easily doable, especially through the use of save and load?

Durante

I'm through 8/12ths of the game and the main assignments so far are very easily doable.

If you're completely OCD then it would appear like everything is doable without a FAQ. Right now (2/3 of the time used) I've got the townspeople and 7 out of 10 characters on 100%, and the other 3 above 60%.

simtmb

I intended to get this game on release but held off due to having too many other RPG's i was already playing.

Now it's either quite expensive or wherever it is in-stock, i can't get it shipped to Australia. There's a good listing on ebay for the Asian English version though, however i was wondering, are there any differences between this version and the PAL/NTSC ones?

Cheers. :D

Durante

Atelier Rorona is not just a charming game, it's also a cautionary and thought-provoking tale about the limits that science should never cross.

* Pie spoiler *

2011-01-04_00-50-51wmtk.jpg

2011-01-04_00-52-030mv0.jpg

2011-01-04_00-53-28im0b.jpg

2011-01-04_00-53-34imbi.jpg

2011-01-04_00-53-39zm3h.jpg

2011-01-04_00-53-424mg1.jpg

2011-01-04_00-53-50nmar.jpg

2011-01-04_00-53-55zmub.jpg

2011-01-04_00-54-15gmww.jpg

2011-01-04_00-54-36jmwi.jpg

2011-01-04_00-54-45smtr.jpg

2011-01-04_00-54-51nma3.jpg

2011-01-04_00-54-59omk9.jpg

2011-01-04_00-55-15umax.jpg

2011-01-04_00-55-256mpl.jpg

2011-01-04_00-55-41rmwn.jpg

Seriously, some of the scenes leading up to the Pie end are completely hilarious.

Finalow

Durante said:
Atelier Rorona is not just a charming game, it's also a cautionary and thought-provoking tale about the limits that science should never cross.

* Pie spoiler *

cut

Seriously, some of the scenes leading up to the Pie end are completely hilarious.
how can i make that pie?
And i don't understand: rorona has angel heart (advanced skill) every time in battle. Sterk only sometimes has phantom blade or others advanced skills. Why?

Finalow

*anyone here*
finished it. Tomorrow i'll destroy
the demon (fuck the huge eye in the sky is so creepy ._.)
and i will say bye bye to this game.

rykomatsu

It seems as though Rorona's been pretty well liked in this thread, more or less. If (when?) Totori makes it over, I think you guys will be in for a treat. I haven't had a chance to play it yet (exchange rate now makes importing exorbitantly expensive...), but one of the more reputable JPN user review sites (psmk2.net) ranks it second next to Demon's Souls for RPGs.

Y'all will just have to wait for...what...another year? :p

tiff

Banned
Got this game for Christmas, and just finished the 1st assignment yesterday. It's really charming, and the alchemy system seems really interesting, though everything's fairly simple at this point. I like it a lot so far :)

Wanted to get the LE when it came out, but I decided against it since I didn't even have a PS3 at that point. Kinda regret it now, I'd love to see that artbook :/

bon

This is pretty fun.

Is it normal to STILL be using the starting equipment after finishing assignment 2?

jcm

I just finished assignment 2 as well. I upgraded my equipment at around that time by crafting ingots from ore found in the mines, and then ordering them from the weapon shop. One thing I wish I'd realized - you only need one ingot to make the weapon or armor. If the weapon says ingredients are tinc and dry metal, you just need one of those, not both.

I'm enjoying the game, although I have doubts I'm playing it particularly well. I feel like I'm just kind of muddling through.

Durante

Cornbread78 said:
So how is this game overall? Is it worth putting money/time into?
Well, I enjoyed it a lot. You need to be aware of a few things though:
- the battle system is pretty basic, all the depth is in the alchemy. The easiest way by far to win battles is by using the right items (in fact, you can 1-shot every enemy in the game if you manage to make a crazy enough bomb)
- the game has a relatively large number of different endings (including the notorious pie ending), and it's not possible to get all of them in just one playthrough
- How long it takes to complete depends very strongly on how much of a completionist you are. I've heard times from 15 hours up, but my first playthrough took over 40.

jcm

Durante said:
- the battle system is pretty basic, all the depth is in the alchemy. The easiest way by far to win battles is by using the right items (in fact, you can 1-shot every enemy in the game if you manage to make a crazy enough bomb)

Oops. I knew I was doing it wrong. I haven't used an item to attack in a battle yet, and I'm in assignment 3. In fact, I didn't know you could attack with items.

Durante

You really don't need to bother until you get to the bonus dungeon and "super strong" enemies. Though once you can make a decent meteor (an put it up for wholesale) it can make battles really really short. But that's a bit later in the game.

By the way, wholesale is the most easily abused game mechanic. Once I had access to it I often completed an Assignment (with full stars) on the same day it was issued.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Guess I forgot to mention in here that I platinum'd the game! Only the 2nd PS3 game (after Assassin's Creed 2) I did that with! Took a while though. Got all 14 endings and had to do 2 playthroughs for it. It was fun in an OCD way. The music is very nice even after having to listen to it for that long.

And yeah, once you make an awesome Terabomb via alchemy, you can pretty much one-shot every boss in the game

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I started playing the game after a couple of months of letting it sit on my shelf for a while.

The music is great, and I enjoy the cast of characters. My battle party is Rorona, Cordelia, and Lionela.

How is the new game plus since I heard that this game has a ton of endings?

jiggle

the time limit is such a drag
i thought it'll improve as time goes on
but i'm already at the end of year 1 and still doesn't feel like i get to do most of the things i want

was playing without using a FAQ until i found out there are a bunch of missables
so now i have to have the page open infront of me at all time
hate that

with that said
i'm still enjoying it a lot a lot a lot

i hope totori gets rid of the time limit

Nakiro

I'm thinking of picking up this one, heard there a ton of time management, I don't know if I like that as I like to check every corner when I'm running around. How would that impact the gameplay for me?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Nakiro said:
I'm thinking of picking up this one, heard there a ton of time management, I don't know if I like that as I like to check every corner when I'm running around. How would that impact the gameplay for me?
Travelling and crafting takes 'days' and 'hours' out of your alloted time limit for the current main quest. There isn't much to explore anyway. If you're worried, I'd just use a walkthrough to keep abreast of hidden events.

Alex

Think I'm almost done with it now, I've liked it a lot despite not being a fan of the overly cutesy fare. Gust games have grown on me a lot lately in general.

Totori is next, yeah? That one is supposedly really great or so I hear. Visuals look like a huge upgrade at least, happy to see the cherub-ish look finally dying off. All I see for it is a fall release, so ambiguous! Disgaea is Sept so maybe it's in Oct.

zlatko

Banned
I'm not a graphics whore, but jesus tap dancing christ this is shittier than PS2 era visuals here. If their budget is so low THIS many sequels into this series, maybe it's high time to find a cool art style that they can produce cheap. Kirby's epic yarn looks better than this Atelier game. :/

zlatko said:
I'm not a graphics whore, but jesus tap dancing christ this is shittier than PS2 era visuals here. If their budget is so low THIS many sequels into this series, maybe it's high time to find a cool art style that they can produce cheap. Kirby's epic yarn looks better than this Atelier game. :/

To be fair, this is the first PS3 game from a company whose PS2 games looked like PS1 games. Their later PS3 games, Totori and Meruru, look considerably better.

jiggle

for their first(?) full 3D effort, it's excusable
sure they could've stayed with 2D if they didn't have the budget or know how for 3D
but i'm glad to see a smaller publisher from jpn actually attempting to do it
and their efforts more than paid off judging by the improvements they've made with meruru

tiff

Banned
It's not the best looking game out there (in terms of the 3D graphics anyway; the portrait art is fantastic) but sub-PS2 quality, really?

lljride

I've been playing this again lately, almost done with Assignment 3. Really enjoying it this time, the time constraints aren't nearly as bad as I originally thought. So far I have Cordelia at 100%, Iksel at 80%+, and everyone else hovering around 25-40% (still haven't unlocked the last few characters though). I think I should be on track to get everyone to 100 well before the end of the game.

I sort of feel like I'm neglecting the dungeons though. I've only been doing 1-2 dungeon runthroughs per assignment period (just enough to fill my basket), the rest of the time I'm synthesizing items for quests. Money hasn't really been an issue yet, so I assume I'm doing okay.

Durante

zlatko said:
I'm not a graphics whore, but jesus tap dancing christ this is shittier than PS2 era visuals here.
This is bullshit, the game looks just fine. It has 4xAA and thus looks a lot less messy than many PS360 titles, never mind PS2. The textures are low-res and the models are stylized, but certainly not more so than most PS2 games.

firehawk12 said:
Just wondering - would someone happen to have a near end game or new game+ save file they wouldn't mind sharing?

there are a couple on gamefaqs but you cant get trophies. the system recognizes they arent your saves

Top Bottom