• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Totori |OT| - Adventuring in Arland

Durante

TomcatTheLion said:
So I picked up my LE last week but haven't touched it yet. Still wondering if I should grab a copy of Rorona from Amazon and play that first. Thoughts?
It depends on how much time you have. Rorona is a great game, but Totori improves on it in almost every way. Having played Rorona is not required to understand the story, but it makes some scenes more enjoyable if you recognize characters and places from the first game.

RurouniZel said:
So I make one, and then use it outside of battle, huh? Do I make the best ones via alchemy or is there another trick to them? I read something about carrying them around to bring them up to 100 or something?
I think the only time a spring cup's quality matters is for the guild quests. The cup's quality enhances over time, but quality degrades when you use it.

I'm not completely sure about this, but I think I've seen usable, quality enhancing items reach 120 quality have their usage counts slowly increase by 1 until they hit a maximum usage count of 5. The best possible quality you can register, though, is 100.

Maybe if a quality level 100 spring cup gets an extra use in less time than it takes Pamela to restock, it's worthwhile although you'd possibly need up to 100 free storage slots to take full advantage of this.

If it takes longer to age the cups, it seems like it would make the process of using up the spring cups more tedious since you'd have to be careful about selecting which cups you're aging and which cups you're using up.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Lance Bone Path said:
I think the only time a spring cup's quality matters is for the guild quests. The cup's quality enhances over time, but quality degrades when you use it.

I'm not completely sure about this, but I think I've seen usable, quality enhancing items reach 120 quality have their usage counts slowly increase by 1 until they hit a maximum usage count of 5. The best possible quality you can register, though, is 100.

Maybe if a quality level 100 spring cup gets an extra use in less time than it takes Pamela to restock, it's worthwhile although you'd possibly need up to 100 free storage slots to take full advantage of this.

If it takes longer to age the cups, it seems like it would make the process of using up the spring cups more tedious since you'd have to be careful about selecting which cups you're aging and which cups you're using up.

Okay, so I should

1) Synthesis a Spring Cup
2) Walk around with it, periodically checking it until it's quality becomes 100
3) Register cup at 100 quality
4) Reregister cup once more have been produced
5) ???
6) Profit!

RurouniZel said:
Okay, so I should

1) Synthesis a Spring Cup
2) Walk around with it, periodically checking it until it's quality becomes 100
3) Register cup at 100 quality
4) Reregister cup once more have been produced
5) ???
6) Profit!

Well, the main thing about using the Spring Cup, is that you need a Dark Dew in order to get the trait Spring Water+.

You can just register them over and over at Pamela's shop and wait till she restocks before buying all of them out, using them and selling back everything to her.

I really don't think there is any need to spend time waiting for their quality to hit 100, if you are able to make a decently high level quality one from the start. But, it does take a good part into the game before you get a stable source of Dark Dews.

RurouniZel

dakkumauji said:
Well, the main thing about using the Spring Cup, is that you need a Dark Dew in order to get the trait Spring Water+.

You can just register them over and over at Pamela's shop and wait till she restocks before buying all of them out, using them and selling back everything to her.

I really don't think there is any need to spend time waiting for their quality to hit 100, if you are able to make a decently high level quality one from the start. But, it does take a good part into the game before you get a stable source of Dark Dews.

That makes sense. I'll try it out. ^^

dakkumauji said:

IIRC, a spring cup can be made fairly early on- it's a level 21 item in Super Tool Guide, but there's no point in using a spring cup until you've obtained a dark dew.

To be more precise, a spring cup can't produce a liquid that you've never seen before.

A spring cup without the spring water+ trait will still produce dark dews after you've obtained a single dark dew. They just won't be high quality, but even low quality dark dews are fine as ingredients- like for making a (low quality) spring cup with the spring water+ trait.

Whether or not it's worth making a high quality spring cup with the spring water+ trait, I'm not really sure. Assuming that you don't wait until the very last month to make your fortune, I don't think it's that important to be efficient. But, if you procrastinate, though, well... There's always new game+. :p

[edit]
Did a quick check and noticed that it's possible to make a registrable spring cup with a usage count of 5 by sticking on the usage+1, special, and massive traits. I also attached the price down L and lasts M traits, but I don't think those traits should affect the usage count.

lupin23rd

Am I missing much just going out and doing requests over and over and ranking up on my first play through? Or is that basically the point? I'm about 5 hours in and at Silver rank, around level 15 in each of adventure and alchemy.

Rorona was the only Atelier game I've played and I really ripped through it pretty quick with no real idea what was going on (still enjoyed it), seems like there were a lot more event in that one.

I am definitely enjoying the less stressful pace of this one so far.

RurouniZel

lupin23rd said:
Am I missing much just going out and doing requests over and over and ranking up on my first play through? Or is that basically the point? I'm about 5 hours in and at Silver rank, around level 15 in each of adventure and alchemy.

Rorona was the only Atelier game I've played and I really ripped through it pretty quick with no real idea what was going on (still enjoyed it), seems like there were a lot more event in that one.

I am definitely enjoying the less stressful pace of this one so far.

Doing the requests helps up your rank when you get special achievements for doing certain types of quests like Puni quests or Ghost quests etc. You also get rank points for Alchemy quests as well. There's also the money aspect. ^^;

Otherwise, it's different from Rorona in that, as far as I can tell (please correct me if I'm wrong anyone), there's not really a penalty for failing a request that I've found. In Rorona you'd lose 5% of your Reputation percentage, but I haven't seen anything noticeable in Totori. If you do enough requests for Filly you'll get some scenes with her and Tiffani.

I too appreciate the less stressful pace. Makes it much more enjoyable to just romp around Arland and find stuff. ^^;

Durante

I have a stupid question regarding spring cups: when/where do you get the recipe? Another related question is what is the best way to make money until you get access to the dark dew? I never felt so poor in Rorona.

Ravage

Durante said:
I have a stupid question regarding spring cups: when/where do you get the recipe? Another related question is what is the best way to make money until you get access to the dark dew? I never felt so poor in Rorona.

I'm not 100% certain, but i recall getting the recipe before/while exploring Nabel Lake.

As for the best way of earning money, i really recommend making full use of the Wholesale mechanic. You should recognise certain request patterns after a while, and by 'cloning' the most profitable synthesis (pies,Clear Gelatin,Alchemist Yeast,Auto Alarm,etc..) you can easily fulfil all the lucrative requests.

Another way of making money is to cash in the tickets by swapping tickets for Isle Amber (best value-per-ticket item in the game). You need to fulfil about 2 of Esty's requests though.

RurouniZel

Durante said:

You get it from Rorona. In order to trigger this, you have to

1) Get the pie recipe from Rorona
2) Synth a pie in Totori's Atelier (this will result in Ceci giving you the recipe for Fish Pie)
3) 30 days later and so long as your alchemy level is over 10, Rorona will give you the Fish Memo
4) 30 days after that, so long as your alchemy level is over 20, she will give you the Super Tool Guide. In this set of recipes is the Spring Cup recipe. :)

NOTE: As was suggested to me earlier in the thread, it's not worth synthing the Spring Cup until you get a Dark Dew, which you will get from Sterk in Rorona's Atelier when his friendship is over 50. :)

EDIT: Wait, are we talking about Atelier Rorona or Atelier Totori? I'm confused now. :/

RurouniZel

Durante said:
Thanks! I made all the pies in Rorona's atelier, that's why I missed this line of events so far.

Yeah, I was stuck for a while too, and just happened to make pies for my Chims while at Totori and suddenly there it was. I admit I looked at a guide for the specific dates/alchemy levels though. ^^;

Alucrid

Banned
So I'm generally not huge on crafting/alchemy/whatever and it seemed that, during the few combat videos I watched, that was mainly what Totori was using to fight with? I mean, how big a part of the game is that? While I might not be a fan on such systems I also haven't played a new jrpg in ages. Basically I'm asking you to convince me to buy this so I can have an rpg to play.

RurouniZel

Alucrid said:
So I'm generally not huge on crafting/alchemy/whatever and it seemed that, during the few combat videos I watched, that was mainly what Totori was using to fight with? I mean, how big a part of the game is that? While I might not be a fan on such systems I also haven't played a new jrpg in ages. Basically I'm asking you to convince me to buy this so I can have an rpg to play.

Crafting is generally the only way to get new/better equipment, yes.

In my opinion, this game is totally worth it, but that's also because I'm cool with it's light-hearted tone and atypical structure. The game is not like other JRPGs where you have to save the world, restore peace etc. You play as an aspiring adventurer who's mother disappeared years ago and assumed to be dead. Totori is convinced her mother is alive somewhere, and has to become a recognized adventure to go and find out.

The game is about exploration/alchemy more than anything else, with the driving force of the game being it's unique time-management aspect. Anything you do in the game, going from place to place, crafting items etc. take a certain number of "days". Assignments you take on have deadlines, so you have to decide which tasks you can take on and which ones you shouldn't tackle. As you adventure, craft, complete assignments you earn "License Points", which allow you to Rank Up on your Adventurer's License. You have to reach a certain rank by the end of Year 4, Month 6, Day 1 (namely the Diamond Rank) in order to keep going, or you'll obtain a bad ending.

Compared to many other RPGs, the PS3 Atelier games are short, but this is because they're all about the endings. Atelier Totori has 10 different endings, each triggered by different flags. The game makes this a bit easier by giving a Clear Game save at the end that allows you to carry over money and equipped weapons/armor/accessories. I do recommend playing through the game once before following a guide to get all the other endings, as it'll be much easier to follow a guide once you have a feel for the game, plus starting out with more money and better equipment makes the process much easier.

So while I wholeheartedly recommend it, I do so with the strong disclaimer that it's very different from pretty much any JRPG you've (likely) played, and as such it is something of an acquired taste. I'm not trying to scare you off (I love the game and hope more people will try it), but I want to be upfront about what to expect.

Alucrid

Banned
RurouniZel said:
Crafting is generally the only way to get new/better equipment, yes.

In my opinion, this game is totally worth it, but that's also because I'm cool with it's light-hearted tone and atypical structure. The game is not like other JRPGs where you have to save the world, restore peace etc. You play as an aspiring adventurer who's mother disappeared years ago and assumed to be dead. Totori is convinced her mother is alive somewhere, and has to become a recognized adventure to go and find out.

The game is about exploration/alchemy more than anything else, with the driving force of the game being it's unique time-management aspect. Anything you do in the game, going from place to place, crafting items etc. take a certain number of "days". Assignments you take on have deadlines, so you have to decide which tasks you can take on and which ones you shouldn't tackle. As you adventure, craft, complete assignments you earn "License Points", which allow you to Rank Up on your Adventurer's License. You have to reach a certain rank by the end of Year 4, Month 6, Day 1 (namely the Diamond Rank) in order to keep going, or you'll obtain a bad ending.

Compared to many other RPGs, the PS3 Atelier games are short, but this is because they're all about the endings. Atelier Totori has 10 different endings, each triggered by different flags. The game makes this a bit easier by giving a Clear Game save at the end that allows you to carry over money and equipped weapons/armor/accessories. I do recommend playing through the game once before following a guide to get all the other endings, as it'll be much easier to follow a guide once you have a feel for the game, plus starting out with more money and better equipment makes the process much easier.

So while I wholeheartedly recommend it, I do so with the strong disclaimer that it's very different from pretty much any JRPG you've (likely) played, and as such it is something of an acquired taste. I'm not trying to scare you off (I love the game and hope more people will try it), but I want to be upfront about what to expect.

Thanks for the quick write up. On one hand I hate being given a time limit to do something, on the other hand I really love NG+'s. And yeah, I've never played an Atelier game before (was going to try Rorona but then it just slipped through the cracks) so you're definitely right about me not knowing that.

RurouniZel

Alucrid said:
Thanks for the quick write up. On one hand I hate being given a time limit to do something, on the other hand I really love NG+'s. And yeah, I've never played an Atelier game before (was going to try Rorona but then it just slipped through the cracks) so you're definitely right about me not knowing that.

You're welcome. If you have any other questions about the game do let us know. ^_^ And I will say that while I agree that time limits can be frustrating, they're mostly within your control, and Totori is much better in this respect that it's predecessor, Rorona, which had more prominent emphasis on deadlines (12 game-required) than Totori (2 game-required), so Totori is more laid back in this respect.

Also, later in the game you'll gain access to recipes for Sprint Shoes and a Warp Gate, which makes traveling take less time.

RurouniZel

So, I finally got around to getting all the other endings, but somehow I'm still one trophy short of getting the final Platinum. Anyone know what I missed?

dakkumauji said:
Oh so jealous. I really do hope Udon does bring this artbook over.

Seconded.

In other news, I finally started Atelier... Rorona. Even though Totori is better, I want to appreciate the returning characters in it so I'm going to start from the beginning. I'm having fun so far, though I'll be happy when I can get to nice looking character models.

maomaoIYP

dakkumauji said:
Oh so jealous. I really do hope Udon does bring this artbook over.
It just got released in Japan this monday, might take a while if it does! There's a little overlap with the Rorona & Totori artbook though, but this one totally dwarfs that in terms of content.

RurouniZel

hosannainexcelsis said:
Seconded.

In other news, I finally started Atelier... Rorona. Even though Totori is better, I want to appreciate the returning characters in it so I'm going to start from the beginning. I'm having fun so far, though I'll be happy when I can get to nice looking character models.

I tend to be the same way. I always want to start from the beginning, or as close to the beginning of a series, as much as possible. That way I can follow what's going on, and truly appreciate the improvements of later installments. ^_^

RurouniZel said:
So, I finally got around to getting all the other endings, but somehow I'm still one trophy short of getting the final Platinum. Anyone know what I missed?

Also, any thoughts on this?

RurouniZel

Rarutos said:
Sorry, late but... It might be the
Drunken Tiffani
one maybe? That one is probably the easiest to miss.

Aha! I knew I was missing something! Thanks, I"ll have to reload a save and work on that one. ^^;

Jucksalbe

Banned
I hate the timed scenes in this game. I'm now only one step away from getting (almost) every ending, but I missed a single scene with Gino that can only be done in the beginning of the game. So, to get the True Ending I have to start all over and get all endings again.
Otherwise I'm really enjoying Totori, they improved a lot on Rorona.

RurouniZel

Jucksalbe said:
I hate the timed scenes in this game. I'm now only one step away from getting (almost) every ending, but I missed a single scene with Gino that can only be done in the beginning of the game. So, to get the True Ending I have to start all over and get all endings again.
Otherwise I'm really enjoying Totori, they improved a lot on Rorona.

I too dislike missable flags. After twice through I had to follow a guide to trigger them all. :-/

Still a great game though! :D

Rarutos

RurouniZel: For that flag, you have to make sure to not have any quests when you want to trigger the
second scene with Filly complaining at Tiffani's shop, and then go to Iksel's Cafe exactly two days after that certain scene. You'll know it's that scene if Tiffani mentions going drinking!

Comes with the territory of a time-based game I guess! I somehow never missed those Gino flags even without a guide. Maybe I was just thorough? Even after getting the Platinum though, I've been itching to go through it again...

Jucksalbe

Banned
Rarutos said:
Comes with the territory of a time-based game I guess! I somehow never missed those Gino flags even without a guide. Maybe I was just thorough? Even after getting the Platinum though, I've been itching to go through it again...
Depends mostly on your choice of characters, I guess. I didn't like Gino, so I dumped him as soon as I could, which seems to have been too soon.

RurouniZel

Rarutos said:
RurouniZel: For that flag, you have to make sure to not have any quests when you want to trigger the
second scene with Filly complaining at Tiffani's shop, and then go to Iksel's Cafe exactly two days after that certain scene. You'll know it's that scene if Tiffani mentions going drinking!

Got it! Yatta! My first ever platinum! Thanks! ^_^

Yeah, I want to explore the DLC now. Apparently via DLC Ceci is a recruitable party member?

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
How is the battle system in this game? I liked the setting / story of Neptunia but the battle system was so slow / boring.

Ermac said:
How is the battle system in this game? I liked the setting / story of Neptunia but the battle system was so slow / boring.
Totori's battle system is more conventional, quicker, and a bit more strategic than Neptunia's. I'll go into more detail.

In battles you are given a character turn ordering which shows who is acting when, which IIRC Neptunia also does.

Just like Neptunia, Totori can have 3 characters active in a battle. Unlike Neptunia, Totori can only have 2 other characters in her party at a time, and cannot switch characters in and out in the middle of battle.

The battle system loads into battle significantly faster than Neptunia, most battles are initiated by colliding with enemies on the field, and battles are turn-based. Being able to enter maps where you're underleveled and underequipped in order to gather rare materials is kind of cool when you can sneak around enemies and/or run for your life and hope you can throw off your pursuers.

In Totori only alchemists can use items (this is an action an alchemist can use on her turn) and items are one of the few ways of reliably healing your characters.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I was finally able to start playing today! Over a months gone by in just an hour and a half of playing. Waaaah! It feels like its going way to fast! The menus complicated to. I thought stuff you alchemized went right to your basket and ended up leaving home with no items and getting creamed! At least everythings really cute. I like Totoris expression when jumping! But whats the deal with "barrel"s?

RurouniZel

B.K. said:

Yeah, I never understood this either. It was fucking funny though. My sister kept asking me why she said "Taaaru!" every time I pressed X near a Barrel. There's gotta be some sort of in-joke we're missing... >_>

RurouniZel said:
Yeah, I never understood this either. It was fucking funny though. My sister kept asking me why she said "Taaaru!" every time I pressed X near a Barrel. There's gotta be some sort of in-joke we're missing... >_>
The barrel exclamation was in the first Atelier game released in 1997. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AtelierSeries

I guess someone at Gust thought that the practice of hiding loot in barrels in the middle of towns was silly, possibly because it encourages players to compulsively run up to barrels to search for treasure. I think having that exclamation is a hint that searching barrels is mostly a waste of time.

RurouniZel

Lance Bone Path said:
The barrel exclamation was in the first Atelier game released in 1997. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AtelierSeries

I guess someone at Gust thought that the practice of hiding loot in barrels in the middle of towns was silly, possibly because it encourages players to compulsively run up to barrels to search for treasure. I think having that exclamation is a hint that searching barrels is mostly a waste of time.

Ah, that explains a lot! So it's a reference to a joke from the first game? Awesome! ^_^

Jucksalbe

Banned
Finally got my platinum trophy. The second run through the game wasn't as time consuming as I'd thought it would be. I was pretty much done with everything needed for the True Ending by the first half of the fifth year.
Overall I really liked the game, a huge step forward from Rorona (which already is a great game), and my favorite soundtrack this year so far. Would have been better without the True Ending, though, but I guess they couldn't help it.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Woohoo I'm an adventurer! Now I can do all kinds of stuff like warp around this miniscule HD Town™! I still got no idea what all these status and rank things are so I'll end up making the worst possible stuff outta the worst possible ingredients!

Jucksalbe said:
I was pretty much done with everything needed for the True Ending by the first half of the fifth year.

Theres different endings?? I'll prolly get the worse one for sure ;_; Heck I prolly won't even be good enough to get my license renewed noooooo!

edit!

btw hasn't NIS been localizing anime for a couple years now? Do they not know leaving songs unsubtitled makes them bad people >_>? Also I'm playing using the english voices which I usually get yelled at for so yell away if need be peeps! Also also I can't not click on every clickable barrel now...

RurouniZel

Lindsay said:
Theres different endings?? I'll prolly get the worse one for sure ;_; Heck I prolly won't even be good enough to get my license renewed noooooo!

There's 10 of them including the True ending, which requires you trigger all the flags for 8 other endings (exception is the Bad ending). ^_^

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
After taking alil break I'm back playing full speed again! After 7 1/2 hours I'm feeling more overwhelmed than ever. Having to make weapons and armor on top of everything else is to much. I don't even know how to cause they don't say what ingredients are needed. This games reminding me alot like Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life except instead of running around doing all kinds of stuff to raise a kid its to raise a license! But they'll both end the same way... ;_;

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Noooooooo!

Just when I was gaining confidence from having the second highest rank and half the parts built my dreams get smacked down by Cordelia with an ending so bad it don't even register in the Endings part of the Extras menu ;_;!

That was 20 hours well spent......???

Why why why! Why did I ever get my hopes up!

Lindz of the past don't make the same mistakes I didddddd...

Noooooooo!

Just when I was gaining confidence from having the second highest rank and half the parts built my dreams get smacked down by Cordelia with an ending so bad it don't even register in the Endings part of the Extras menu ;_;!

lol! Same thing happen to me too on my first playthrough. :(

I got normal ending on my second playthrough. I plan on shooting for true ending before Christmas!!!

RurouniZel

Noooooooo!

Sorry to hear that. If it's any consolation, replays are much faster because you carry over the armor/weapons you had equipped and all your money. :/

It's worth going through it again, me promise! But no rush though, I know how when I get frustrated with a game I have to take a little time away from it to cool off. No pressure. :)

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Sugoi! Gamefly shipped my copy.

Anything I should know in advance? Is it possible to get the true ending in one playthrough? Doesn't seem like it..

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
lol! Same thing happen to me too on my first playthrough. :(

I got normal ending on my second playthrough. I plan on shooting for true ending before Christmas!!!

You've played through it almost 3 times in 3 months @_@?

Sorry to hear that. If it's any consolation, replays are much faster because you carry over the armor/weapons you had equipped and all your money. :/

It's worth going through it again, me promise! But no rush though, I know how when I get frustrated with a game I have to take a little time away from it to cool off. No pressure. :)

Its no consolation cause I was broke an had hardly made any new equipment lol. I'll play through it again someday... with a guide...

Top Bottom