• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Totori |OT| - Adventuring in Arland

Noxie

Neo Member
Wow, that's a long time to wait. I would have gone crazy. Congrats!

For me, I beat the game a couple of days ago with Sterk end! Today I finally earned true end and all the other character endings. I only have a few more to go for a platinum, but I'll need to play the game again for them.

I never meant to get true end on my first playthrough, and at first wasn't trying to get it at all, but towards the end I noticed I had more than enough time to do it so decided to go for it! It's funny because at the beginning I was so worried about wasting tons of time but I ended up having way more than enough to do whatever.

Hoping to have my platinum in a few days!

Coxy

Joe Molotov said:
So does this game have a timer like Rorona, or can you mess around and do stuff at your leisure like Mana Khemia?

it has a timer but it's HUGE and the only thing you really have to do is...well anything you like, you get adventurer points for doing just about everything in the game
if you want to go exploring, go exploring you'll get points, if you want to fight, you'll get points etc

Noxie

Neo Member
Joe Molotov said:
So does this game have a timer like Rorona, or can you mess around and do stuff at your leisure like Mana Khemia?

It's like Rorona, everything you do takes up days. But they give you a lot more time than Rorona does, and there are ways to lower how long most things take. You should have plenty of time to do whatever you want.

Noxie said:
Wow, that's a long time to wait. I would have gone crazy. Congrats!

Have a lot of rpgs to play totori being late allowed me to finish things here and there.
I'm more crazy about my lack of free time to play rpgs ...

I don't quite understand the weapon synthing system. It says I don't have the materials, but I can't find anyway to view what materials I need. I would be thankful to anyone who can help me.

Durante

Rei no Otaku said:
I don't quite understand the weapon synthing system. It says I don't have the materials, but I can't find anyway to view what materials I need. I would be thankful to anyone who can help me.
Each weapon needs a single metal ingot, and each armor needs a piece of cloth. Better ingot/cloth = higher level weapon/armor.

I'm quite enjoying this game in between bursts of Xenoblade. I must admit though, that even though I'm something of an anime fan and I watch a lot of 'girly' stuff, a lot of the characters and scenes in this game do make me wince a bit. Like the wimpy guy with the carriage, and the general cuteseyness going on. I normally don't mind it, but this game and its prequel... I have to lock my door when I play it. It's kind of embarrassing to play.

I'm not knocking the game, I really like it and the graphics are beautiful.

Although, I still don't see why they use the 2D cutouts for chat scenes when the 3D models do the job just as well if not better, and would be more dynamic. Like, a character leaves a chat and the 2D cutout rolls off, but the 3D character is still blurred in the background. I don't quite see why they do it like that.

Durante said:
Each weapon needs a single metal ingot, and each armor needs a piece of cloth. Better ingot/cloth = higher level weapon/armor.
I have plenty of both and it still says not enough materials. Do I need to find recipes somewhere or something?

Rarutos

Android18a said:
Although, I still don't see why they use the 2D cutouts for chat scenes when the 3D models do the job just as well if not better, and would be more dynamic. Like, a character leaves a chat and the 2D cutout rolls off, but the 3D character is still blurred in the background. I don't quite see why they do it like that.
GUST has always used this kind of thing for their scenes, and I personally find it as one of the charms of GUST games. Featuring the artists' art somewhere in the game. Even if it's not as dynamic, it still works IMO.

Besides, it's not like scenes in this sort of game have to be dynamic or dramatic in any sort of way at all. It's a simple story about a girl who's trying to become an adventurer and eventually find her missing mother. Also, it focuses more on the characters themselves rather than the overarching plot, so the most dramatic scenes are portrayed with the event illustrations. Sure it may not be innovative in any sort of way, but I find it very charming myself... I'm probably not making too much sense because I'm finding it a bit difficult to explain, but hopefully my point comes across somewhat.

Rei no Otaku said:
I have plenty of both and it still says not enough materials. Do I need to find recipes somewhere or something?
Hagel sells all of the Ingot and Cloth recipes. By "materials" you only need one particular Ingot or Cloth. For example, to make the highest tier weapons, you have to make either Platine or Halomolium ingots. For highest tier armor, you have to make Scale Cloth or Velvetis cloth. It's not too complicated at all. Just synth one, and bring it to Hagel, and the weapon/armor that you can synthesize will no longer be greyed out.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Rarutos said:
Hagel sells all of the Ingot and Cloth recipes. By "materials" you only need one particular Ingot or Cloth. For example, to make the highest tier weapons, you have to make either Platine or Halomolium ingots. For highest tier armor, you have to make Scale Cloth or Velvetis cloth. It's not too complicated at all. Just synth one, and bring it to Hagel, and the weapon/armor that you can synthesize will no longer be greyed out.

Just bolding the materials to add that the items you'll need to synthesize them can't be found until the latter half of the game. Thankfully if you make the equipment and equip all of your characters with good weapons/armor before completing the game, the equipment will carry over to the 2nd playthrough, making it much faster. ^_^

EDIT: Also, your Alchemy level will need to be in the 30s at least to successfully synthesis these items.

Durante

Heh, I wondered where the friend quests went. Apparently I should have gone back to Alanya sooner, I got 5 events in a row or so when I went there.

2011-10-16_22-19-25gj6h.jpg

I'd post more, but...
2011-10-17_00-57-021kqe.jpg

Rarutos

RurouniZel said:
Just bolding the materials to add that the items you'll need to synthesize them can't be found until the latter half of the game. Thankfully if you make the equipment and equip all of your characters with good weapons/armor before completing the game, the equipment will carry over to the 2nd playthrough, making it much faster. ^_^
Yeah, I was just using those as an example since I don't remember which other items are part of the other tiers, aside from the first I guess. Regardless, you only need ONE specific Ingot or Cloth if you want to synthesize a specific weapon or armor. Hope it helps the person asking~

Coxy

Rei no Otaku said:

just a tip for you and anyone else making weapons/armour, dont worry so much about making the next weapons for a while, what you want to be doing is trying to make an ingot/cloth with really good properties. Getting a weapon with covert damage, attack+ an element or armour with defence+ sturdy etc is more useful early on

RurouniZel

Rarutos said:
Yeah, I was just using those as an example since I don't remember which other items are part of the other tiers, aside from the first I guess. Regardless, you only need ONE specific Ingot or Cloth if you want to synthesize a specific weapon or armor. Hope it helps the person asking~

I believe the rankings for weapons are

Ingot
Tinc
Dry Metal
Ster Metal
Goldstein
Platine
Halomolium

I can't remember the cloths off the top of my head though.

Coxy said:
just a tip for you and anyone else making weapons/armour, dont worry so much about making the next weapons for a while, what you want to be doing is trying to make an ingot/cloth with really good properties. Getting a weapon with covert damage, attack+ an element or armour with defence+ sturdy etc is more useful early on

This too.

Rarutos

Highly Recommend putting Holy Power from Wispstones on all equips since it reduces damage by 20% and STACKS. Also if one wants to use a Shadow Band, which gives characters the ability to move twice a turn but at the price of HP Degeneration, you can completely override the Degen by putting Healing Power from Dragon Scales on all three equips as well!

RurouniZel

Rarutos said:
Highly Recommend putting Holy Power from Wispstones on all equips since it reduces damage by 20% and STACKS. Also if one wants to use a Shadow Band, which gives characters the ability to move twice a turn but at the price of HP Degeneration, you can completely override the Degen by putting Healing Power from Dragon Scales on all three equips as well!

I had NO idea that stacked! Thanks for the tip!

Durante said:
Heh, I wondered where the friend quests went. Apparently I should have gone back to Alanya sooner, I got 5 events in a row or so when I went there.

http://www.abload.de/img/2011-10-16_22-19-25gj6h.jpg[IMG]

I'd post more, but...
[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/2011-10-17_00-57-021kqe.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I'll have to ask ..are those from a simple capture card or are those taken with a special equipment ?

i kinda want to take screen of my games will i be alright with anything ?

Durante

Rarutos said:
Wow, some protips going on here. Thanks!
Is it just me or are the battles in this game a lot harder than in most Gust games? It may just be because you can get to harder areas much earlier.

R_thanatos said:
I'll have to ask ..are those from a simple capture card or are those taken with a special equipment ?

i kinda want to take screen of my games will i be alright with anything ?
All my screenshots are taken with a blackmagic intensity pro capture card. It was the best option when I looked into it the last time (~2 years ago), I don't know if anything better has been released since.

Based on GAF'ers opinions, I picked this up yesterday at EB for $69. I am only early on. Dead god the cel shading is so nice. The background textures, not so much, but me, not really a big deal, especially when the cel shading looks that good.

I have only just started
doing jobs for the guy at the bar
, so I am not overly far in.

So far I am really liking it.

Only real complaint is the camera. I wish out in the open you could turn the camera around, but again, I am just nit picking.

Given my 360 died today and was posted off to get fixed, I'll have @ 2 weeks to really get into this :D

Durante

Samurai Penguin said:
Based on GAF'ers opinions, I picked this up yesterday at EB for $69. I am only early on. Dead god the cel shading is so nice.
I hope you enjoy the game! I agree on the cel shading. In fact, thanks to the 4xAA, it's my favourite cel shading so far this gen, even above the Naruto games. So awesome!
cel6ug2.jpg

Samurai Penguin said:
Only real complaint is the camera. I wish out in the open you could turn the camera around, but again, I am just nit picking.
Yeah, I'm also missing this a bit, but it does enable them to cut a lot of corners when designing the areas, and it's not such a big deal.

Finally got around to buying a copy of this game.

A possibly really weird question, but is it possible to buy DLC (for this game) without a PS3 (and by yourself)?

Durante

Aveyn Knight said:
A possibly really weird question, but is it possible to buy DLC (for this game) without a PS3 (and by yourself)?
That's a really weird question! I don't think that's possible, the closest you can get is buying a point card. But you still need to use that with a PS3.

Please tell me the circumstances that lead to this question. I just can't think of any!

Durante said:
That's a really weird question! I don't think that's possible, the closest you can get is buying a point card. But you still need to use that with a PS3.

Please tell me the circumstances that lead to this question. I just can't think of any!
Oh, it's not too complicated (I think).

I sometimes buy games for systems that I don't yet own (but plan on purchasing one day), for various reason.

Cheska

Finally set Batman down for a bit and started Totori. First impressions are that it's undoubtedly very pretty. I'm also liking the voice acting, and general direction the game is taking. The problem I have is never knowing how to spend my time and I always get worried that I'll run out of time.

Also, main issue right now is how slow Totori walks :( Give me a speed run button!

Durante

Cheska said:
Also, main issue right now is how slow Totori walks :( Give me a speed run button!
I don't know how far you are into the game, but after some point really early on you barely need to walk at all.

Cheska

Durante said:
I don't know how far you are into the game, but after some point really early on you barely need to walk at all.

I'm fairly early on, still in Year 1, April, just got
Mel?

RurouniZel

Cheska said:
I'm fairly early on, still in Year 1, April, just got
Mel?

Yeah, you're still in what the game considers to be a "tutorial". Once it's over, you'll be able to press the start button and warp to various locations in town. :)

Cheska

RurouniZel said:
Yeah, you're still in what the game considers to be a "tutorial". Once it's over, you'll be able to press the start button and warp to various locations in town. :)

YAY! Did you guys generally find you had enough time to complete the missions? I know alchemy is a huge part of this game, but I love "adventuring", and I just want to make sure I don't get carried away.

Durante

I just got Platinum (the license rank, not the trophy! - year 2 month 7) and I'm starting to feel severely underleveled/underpowered. I think I need to stop going for the rank up above everything else and start doing some leveling and equipment crafting. Any hints for crafting bombs? Can you still make them as ridiculously powerful as in Rorona?

RurouniZel

Cheska said:
YAY! Did you guys generally find you had enough time to complete the missions? I know alchemy is a huge part of this game, but I love "adventuring", and I just want to make sure I don't get carried away.

In general yes, though the game usually will throw a couple too many at you to reasonably do on the first go. Though I don't know if there's a penalty in this game for not completing missions like there was in Rorona. Nothing I've noticed anyway.

This game has a much more even balance between Adv. and Alch. than Rorona did. This one's more 50-50, where Rorona was 80-20 Alch.

Durante said:
I just got Platinum (the license rank, not the trophy! - year 2 month 7) and I'm starting to feel severely underleveled/underpowered. I think I need to stop going for the rank up above everything else and start doing some leveling and equipment crafting. Any hints for crafting bombs? Can you still make them as ridiculously powerful as in Rorona?

Not that I've found, but I never rule out that I could be missing recipes somewhere.

Rarutos

Durante said:
Unfortunately, there is nothing like the Terabomb in Totori at all. Heck, the only way Terabombs show up in this game are a random monster. You can definitely make bombs to beat up monsters quickly though. Bomber Ice is probably the best bomb you can get early on, just make sure it as Ice L, and a few Boost Effect traits as well as things like Burning Vapor or Chain Explosion, and you'll be killing everything with one use (except bosses) until the Cobalt ranked dungeons!

Megacraft with Attack L is pretty good too.

Durante

Rarutos said:
Megacraft with Attack L is pretty good too.
I made one of these with a few other attributes and lowered price and put it up for sale. Now I can basically insta-win 20 battles per month. Works very well so far, thanks for the hint.

How good is Meteor in this game? I wasn't able to make it yet.

Durante said:
I made one of these with a few other attributes and lowered price and put it up for sale. Now I can basically insta-win 20 battles per month. Works very well so far, thanks for the hint.

Meteor doesn't seem to do that much damage, but I think it might have saved my butt a few times when it stunned enemies that would otherwise have killed my entire party with an area of effect attack.

I'm not sure if it affects all enemies the same way or whether it has to be the meteor style trait or not. IIRC, you have to pick one of three traits: a star trait, a giant box trait, or a meteor trait.

Rarutos

Durante said:

Glad to be of service! I never really found the Meteor too useful myself, to be honest. Megacraft and Bomber Ice definitely have it beaten in raw damage. But Lance Bone Path seems to have more experience using it than me anyway~

Rarutos said:
Glad to be of service! I never really found the Meteor too useful myself, to be honest. Megacraft and Bomber Ice definitely have it beaten in raw damage. But Lance Bone Path seems to have more experience using it than me anyway~
I can't give that strong a recommendation for the Meteor, but I found it useful against the bomber bunny bosses in Neumont Forest.

RurouniZel

Okay, I need some help. I spent all of yesterday and today trying to get the True ending, only to come up incredibly short and just got Rorona's ending (despite hitting all of Mimi's flags and doing a Character Quest to place her above Rorona, it still defaulted to Rorona).

I namely have two problems. I have no idea how to possibly make enough pies to keep the Chims going without wasting a fuck ton of days to trigger their ending flag, and more importantly have NO idea how to get upwards of 500K cole for the Store ending flag. I'm going to take a break from the game just because I've literally spent some 16 hours on it yesterday and a couple more today to finish and I'm a bit disappointed I fell so short. :(

Help? Tips?

RurouniZel said:
Okay, I need some help. I spent all of yesterday and today trying to get the True ending, only to come up incredibly short and just got Rorona's ending (despite hitting all of Mimi's flags and doing a Character Quest to place her above Rorona, it still defaulted to Rorona).

I namely have two problems. I have no idea how to possibly make enough pies to keep the Chims going without wasting a fuck ton of days to trigger their ending flag, and more importantly have NO idea how to get upwards of 500K cole for the Store ending flag. I'm going to take a break from the game just because I've literally spent some 16 hours on it yesterday and a couple more today to finish and I'm a bit disappointed I fell so short. :(

Help? Tips?
From what I've read, a Chim will never eat any faster than 1 pie every 10 days, so if you don't obtain enough Chims soon enough, it will be impossible to meet the pie count requirement.

You could just have all the chims synthing pies (and make sure the bin never gets totally full). Chim synthesis is basically item duplication, so it's not like you need to use up actual ingredients for the pies. The upside is that you can pretty much ignore your Chims, but the downside is that doing so isn't particularly profitable.

For the purpose of making money, you could use your Chims to duplicate 120 quality alchemical yeasts with as many price enhancing traits as possible, and you should be able to sell the yeasts, periodically buy out Ceci's supply of pies, and still make a huge profit. You can always switch them back to making pies before setting sail on those long ocean voyages.

Another way of making money is registering a spring cup with the spring water+ trait at Pamela's shop. An average spring cup will produce 15 liquids and will result in a profit of around 800 cole IIRC.

Abusing spring cups for profit is admittedly pretty dull, but the upside is that you can obtain some nice ingredients for things like equipment and items (although this will hurt spring cup profitability).

At any rate, you could try again in new game+ since it lets you keep your equipment and your money (but nothing else). Sell everything in the item box prior to the game ending and you'll be that much closer to 500K (by maybe ~40K haha). Also, you probably won't be using up as much time on leveling up characters or making equipment and can focus more time on obtaining the Chims as fast as possible for the purpose of making money.

Rorona's ending takes priority over pretty much the rest of the other endings. Once you've triggered it, you're not likely to see any other ending (aside from the True one). Unfortunately her ending is probably the easiest to trigger by accident.

True, it sucks not to get everything on the first try, but if your equipment is good, many things will be much easier/faster the second time around.

My god this game is addictive. I am now into Feb of Year 2, and all I have done is pretty much do requests around your home town.

I have been to Arland twice to level up, but that's it. I think if I want to actually be able to fight monsters and do more then 5-11 damage, I better quest near Arland or even further out hahaha.

Does the 3 years end at the end of Dec of 3rd year, or 3 years from when you get your license?

I do feel though the clock has robbed me of 3 months. When I first began the game, it was March. I got my license in June and was told that I had 3 years.

RurouniZel

Lance Bone Path said:
From what I've read, a Chim will never eat any faster than 1 pie every 10 days, so if you don't obtain enough Chims soon enough, it will be impossible to meet the pie count requirement.

You could just have all the chims synthing pies (and make sure the bin never gets totally full). Chim synthesis is basically item duplication, so it's not like you need to use up actual ingredients for the pies. The upside is that you can pretty much ignore your Chims, but the downside is that doing so isn't particularly profitable.

For the purpose of making money, you could use your Chims to duplicate 120 quality alchemical yeasts with as many price enhancing traits as possible, and you should be able to sell the yeasts, periodically buy out Ceci's supply of pies, and still make a huge profit. You can always switch them back to making pies before setting sail on those long ocean voyages.

Another way of making money is registering a spring cup with the spring water+ trait at Pamela's shop. An average spring cup will produce 15 liquids and will result in a profit of around 800 cole IIRC.

Abusing spring cups for profit is admittedly pretty dull, but the upside is that you can obtain some nice ingredients for things like equipment and items (although this will hurt spring cup profitability).

At any rate, you could try again in new game+ since it lets you keep your equipment and your money (but nothing else). Sell everything in the item box prior to the game ending and you'll be that much closer to 500K (by maybe ~40K haha). Also, you probably won't be using up as much time on leveling up characters or making equipment and can focus more time on obtaining the Chims as fast as possible for the purpose of making money.

Rorona's ending takes priority over pretty much the rest of the other endings. Once you've triggered it, you're not likely to see any other ending (aside from the True one). Unfortunately her ending is probably the easiest to trigger by accident.

True, it sucks not to get everything on the first try, but if your equipment is good, many things will be much easier/faster the second time around.

Thanks for the tips! I'm a bit curious, I've read about Spring Cups, but I'm not sure what they do, or how to use them.

And yes, I finished this round with about 85K so I should be in a better position to try again next time. :) And yeah, I shouldn't have triggered Rorona's ending. Should have known better, since it's the True ending (or at least Mimi's) that I really want. ^^;

Samurai Penguin said:
Does the 3 years end at the end of Dec of 3rd year, or 3 years from when you get your license?

I do feel though the clock has robbed me of 3 months. When I first began the game, it was March. I got my license in June and was told that I had 3 years.
IIRC everything license related happens on June 1. You should think of those months leading up to June as a fairly long tutorial section.

RurouniZel said:
Thanks for the tips! I'm a bit curious, I've read about Spring Cups, but I'm not sure what they do, or how to use them.
They're items that you can use when you're not fighting. When you use them the item usage count decrements and you'll get the item selection/pick-up page (with 5 liquids) which you can then place into your basket. If the spring cup's item usage count hits zero, it disappears. That's roughly all there is to it.

RurouniZel

Lance Bone Path said:
They're items that you can use when you're not fighting. When you use them the item usage count decrements and you'll get the item selection/pick-up page (with 5 liquids) which you can then place into your basket. If the spring cup's item usage count hits zero, it disappears. That's roughly all there is to it.

So I make one, and then use it outside of battle, huh? Do I make the best ones via alchemy or is there another trick to them? I read something about carrying them around to bring them up to 100 or something?

So I picked up my LE last week but haven't touched it yet. Still wondering if I should grab a copy of Rorona from Amazon and play that first. Thoughts?

Rarutos

TomcatTheLion said:
So I picked up my LE last week but haven't touched it yet. Still wondering if I should grab a copy of Rorona from Amazon and play that first. Thoughts?
I personally highly recommend picking up and playing Rorona before playing Totori. It thoroughly increases the amount of enjoyment you get out of Totori just because you revisit old places and meet old friends again. It is absolutely not necessary though, since you'll be able to understand everything that happens in the main story anyway. You just miss out on all the inside jokes from the first game. I also highly recommend getting all of Rorona's endings (or at least the Astrid end) before playing Totori since they reference so many different scenes here and there, but this is even less necessary.

Top Bottom