• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Totori |OT| - Adventuring in Arland

Rarutos

Cheska said:
Thinking about finally starting this today. So about how long is the average play through? Id love to beat this before Arkham City comes out.

Also, I took a look at the trophies, and most of them seem fairly easy to achieve in one play through besides the endings. Is that correct?
I beat the game in about 50 hours, but it really depends on how you play I guess. Then again I probably left my game idle for a while too.

Also yeah, it's possibly to get all the trophies in a single playthrough aside from the endings. Well, it's possible to get all the endings in one playthrough too if you're diligent enough, but it's really hard since you lack money for a long time.

Is this game buggy like other gust games? I see "the best" version is out in Japan so I might bundle it up with other games I want.

Lucentto

Banned
I'm at the beginning of year 3 and I already reached diamond rank. I'm not sure exactly what to do now. I don't know any place where I can get the materials for 3rd tier equipment.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Well, now that I've finally finished Disgaea 4, I'm starting this up now. First thought: WOW, the visuals! The characters are SO MUCH BETTER MODELED AND ANIMATED!! O_O And dat 60 FPS! HNNNNNNGG!!

It's set up a little differently, so the menus are going to take a little getting used to, but otherwise I'm liking it so far (not very far though, I gotta get away from my PS3 now or it'll become more suited as a grill than a gaming system!).

Rarutos

DeliciousDoc said:
Is this game buggy like other gust games? I see "the best" version is out in Japan so I might bundle it up with other games I want.
No, it can freeze, but only once in a blue moon. I'd still suggest saving often because of that though.

Coxy

Oh man laughed my ass off at how they introduced Rorona
Got my gold license so far but keep holding back upgrades to get the 10 quests @ rank awards

RurouniZel

Oh man, it was so weird when I first went to Arland! It was like... I felt like saying "I'm home!" or something! XD It was nice how they actually redid the model/textures of it rather than just reusing the exact same ones (the changes are very subtle though, but still nice!).

I don't like Gino though, he's an annoying little fuck. >> I hope he grows up later 'cause right now he's like a 7 year old brat. Ceci's hot though. *nosebleed*

Just snagged me one of the last few premium copies on Amazon! :)

I want to pick up Rorona as well but haven't decided if I should get the regular version for $49 or the premium for $88 (both on Amazon). Is the latter worth it?

I'm getting interested in this one, I like the visual, and the premise sounds interesting. I think I need some light hearted easy game after playing demons souls. normally I like my rpg with more focused plot moving forward, but I can see the appeal of something like this. how long is the game for first playthrough?

Rarutos

Callibretto said:
I'm getting interested in this one, I like the visual, and the premise sounds interesting. I think I need some light hearted easy game after playing demons souls. normally I like my rpg with more focused plot moving forward, but I can see the appeal of something like this. how long is the game for first playthrough?
Depends on how you play. I personally clocked in about 47 hours or so in my first playthrough, which might be a little inflated because I left my game on idle maybe at least once. But I hear some people can get through the game in about 20. Not sure how true. I personally always tried to do everything I can in an efficient amount of time.

Volcynika

Just did my first rank up, now I'm the mighty IRON rank! Going to go questing around Arland, and also abuse the fact that armor you can buy from the weapon/armor guy sells back for more than you can buy it for. :p Every time he restocks, I get a little extra cash!

Torillian said:
My only real issue with the new system is that I don't see how there's a point in negative traits anymore. Never saw any quests that required specific traits so other than increasing the rank of your item when you don't have better options I don't see why you would ever put a negative trait like "more difficult to synthesize" on your items.

Other than that though I agree, definitely an improvement.
I've been playing this game almost non-stop since I got it last week and I think there's a point to having terrible traits cost points, even possibly a lot of points.

Water can be sold for 1 cole. There are traits that lower the sale price to 0 cole, and that makes it impossible to sell them. While those types of traits are worthless on water, they are very useful for lowering the price of synthesized goods that you want to register, particularly when their quality quickly enhances over time or when their quality doesn't matter.

Also, grading depends on the quality and the traits, positive or negative. Some traits seem to be worth more, as far as grading goes, but I'm not quite sure if it's much more complicated than adding up the costs of all the traits and applying some sort of modifier to the quality to obtain the final grade.

I noticed near the end of the game that many awesome weapon, armor, and accessory traits were showing up on worthless crap like food items and water, and noticed in a second playthrough that those traits can be transferred to materials used for equipment.

In order to load up lots of expensive traits from things like water and food type materials onto equipment ingredients, you'll need to trade less expensive traits for more expensive traits when you're working with things like dried flowers and magical coins in order to work with the trait cost limits.

I managed to put +10 attack, ghost repel, and a convert damage L onto a goldsomething ingot before reaching cobalt rank. I think that I could have substituted something way better than ghost repel and added in 2 other traits that cost 9 or 10 points, but I don't know if it's possible to justify spending the in-game time to do so other than to possibly brag about it on the internet :p.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Got the game on Saturday, put about 17 hours on the game so far.

My Main party is Rorona, Totori, and Mel. Of all the characters Mel is a BEAST, even in the later levels she has saved my ass so many times.

The game is wonderful, I love Atelier Rorona and this game is light years ahead in terms of the enjoyment factor. The Cel-shaded graphics are SOOOO nice.

Rarutos

Got my Platinum just now!

422298974.jpg

True end was probably one of the most satisfying endings I've ever seen. Definitely my GotY!

RurouniZel

Rarutos said:

422298974.jpg

True end was probably one of the most satisfying endings I've ever seen. Definitely my GotY!

Holy shit! Already????

I haven't even finished one playthrough yet! I have to get crackin'! I'm loving this game, I just wish I had more TIME! >_<

Ravage

Rarutos said:

422298974.jpg

Congratz! Did you do that on a single playthrough? I opted to get the rest of my missing trophies during my 2nd playthrough.

Wish i could put more time into the game but i've been really busy with school :(

Rarutos

RurouniZei said:
Holy shit! Already????

I haven't even finished one playthrough yet! I have to get crackin'! I'm loving this game, I just wish I had more TIME! >_<
Yup! To be fair, I do have the advantage of just having graduated from school and am looking for a job. XD

Ravage said:
Congratz! Did you do that on a single playthrough? I opted to get the rest of my missing trophies during my 2nd playthrough.

Wish i could put more time into the game but i've been really busy with school :(
Nah I did it on my second, since I missed Mimi's events and didn't realize it until too late. Overall it was a great experience. I even beat all the optional bosses in the game! So much fun, those fights were. :)

Hcoregamer00 said:
Got the game on Saturday, put about 17 hours on the game so far.

My Main party is Rorona, Totori, and Mel. Of all the characters Mel is a BEAST, even in the later levels she has saved my ass so many times.

The game is wonderful, I love Atelier Rorona and this game is light years ahead in terms of the enjoyment factor. The Cel-shaded graphics are SOOOO nice.
Atelier Rorona was probably the RPG I enjoyed the most last year. The only complaint I had was that the game often locked up, which meant it was necessary to save every thirty minutes or so since a lockup could happen any time traveling from one part of town to another, and even then I still loved that game.

I somewhat wish I had looked up the trophy guide for Atelier Totori before going on my third playthrough, though, since some of the prerequisites for the endings aren't really all that obvious.

Ravage

Lance Bone Path said:
Atelier Rorona was probably the RPG I enjoyed the most last year.

Same here.

Lance Bone Path said:
The only complaint I had was that the game often locked up, which meant it was necessary to save every thirty minutes or so since a lockup could happen any time traveling from one part of town to another, and even then I still loved that game.

Yes those loading bugs were quite annoying but curiously, they only occur when i repeatedly try to load my game to spin the maximum number of tickets for quest rewards :p

congrat for the platinium .

My copy is blocked during transit ( not to mention that nis send my copy quite late )..so i still have NOT received this gem

/i'm gonna cry in a corner , now ...

Congrats on platinum-ing the game!
I'm still on my first playthrough though I have like eight months left.

Fun story, I had my first freeze in the game yesterday. It was when I started spamming the spring cups for money that the game froze trying to load up what items I was going to get.

Durante

I love the UI design in this game. Really beautiful and with lots of nice touches. That includes the main menu, the HUD, the world map and the battle interface. Much better than Rorona or most games really.

Gvaz said:
Could you link me to whatever capture card you're using?
I'm using a Blackmagic Intensity Pro. There's a link at the top of the page I linked in my previous post.

Gvaz

Banned
Durante said:
I love the UI design in this game. Really beautiful and with lots of nice touches. That includes the main menu, the HUD, the world map and the battle interface. Much better than Rorona or most games really.

I'm using a Blackmagic Intensity Pro. There's a link at the top of the page I linked in my previous post.
I see that now. Oh dear, that's a bit more than I was hoping it'd be.

Rarutos

Thanks for the congrats guys! :)

dakkumauji said:
Fun story, I had my first freeze in the game yesterday. It was when I started spamming the spring cups for money that the game froze trying to load up what items I was going to get.
I had two freezes throughout my time with the game, and both were on my first playthrough. Once was when I accidentally talked to a barrel instead of Marc in Arland, and another was when I was executing Rorona's Special, "Mini Punishment." It was really odd. But at least it's a LOT better than Rorona, which would freeze on me at least once a day out of no where as I was getting my Platinum.

Also, I think I'd like to share one of my favorite tracks on the OST.

RurouniZel

I have a question for you, Rarutos.

I've finished making the ship, but I'm still on 5/25 of the final year, so I think I have time to do other stuff before departing. Is there a date I have to use the ship by? I'm assuming that's the final sequence.

RurouniZel said:
I have a question for you, Rarutos.

I've finished making the ship, but I'm still on 5/25 of the final year, so I think I have time to do other stuff before departing. Is there a date I have to use the ship by? I'm assuming that's the final sequence.

Not to just butt in but I can answer that.
Making the ship is just one part of the rest of the game. I made the ship at around the 3rd month of the final year, and I couldn't finish exploring all that unlocks after you beat the giant sea monster.

So, yeah, just beat the game. And, I got the bad ending since I ran out of time. Fun. At least I have some money and equipment for new game plus.

RurouniZel

dakkumauji said:
Not to just butt in but I can answer that.
Making the ship is just one part of the rest of the game. I made the ship at around the 3rd month of the final year, and I couldn't finish exploring all that unlocks after you beat the giant sea monster.

So, yeah, just beat the game. And, I got the bad ending since I ran out of time. Fun. At least I have some money and equipment for new game plus.

Good to know, thank you! ^_^

Durante

I got to iron rank last night. The game is fantastic, it's really great to see a sequel that improves on its predecessor in basically every single area. My only problem with the gameplay so far is trying to find the optimal use for my travel time. Eg. does it make sense to enter an area twice or more to maximize the return on the days spent traveling, even if it means that I can visit fewer areas during one trip because of the basket limit?

A question for those that finished the game: is there an event that increases the basket capacity? And if so, is it missable? I could search a FAQ but I want to avoid spoilers as much as possible -- but not to the extent of missing a basket upgrade.

I really like the addition of random encounters on the World map, my ~ adventure level 11 party recently encountered a griffon and I barely scraped by:
2011-10-15_00-39-02od4z.jpg

The improvement in character models compared to Rorona is extremely impressive. The poly counts seem to be at almost the same level as eg. FF13 in-game models. And the rendering style mimics the 2D artwork very well.
2011-10-15_00-39-080ero.jpg

2011-10-14_22-12-47weww.jpg

Coxy

Durante said:
A question for those that finished the game: is there an event that increases the basket capacity? And if so, is it missable? I could search a FAQ but I want to avoid spoilers as much as possible -- but not to the extent of missing a basket upgrade.

Yes, you get it once you're silver rank and go to Tifana's shop and try to buy something with a nearly full basket

RurouniZel

Coxy said:
Yes, you get it once you're silver rank and go to Tifana's shop and try to buy something with a nearly full basket

Awesome! Thank you! (Not that I asked the original question, but still awesome!).

Just beat it last night, Normal End. Starting my 2nd playthrough.

RurouniZel

Soooo that's what I get for not using a guide. Spent the entirety of today doing a 2nd playthrough and got the same Normal ending. >> I think I'm going to wait for a more comprehensive guide because I'm obviously missing flags. At least I've got everyone in my party decked out with kick ass gear and about 60,000 cole for my eventual 3rd playthrough.

Game is still awesome! ^_^

Rarutos

RurouniZel said:
Soooo that's what I get for not using a guide. Spent the entirety of today doing a 2nd playthrough and got the same Normal ending. >> I think I'm going to wait for a more comprehensive guide because I'm obviously missing flags. At least I've got everyone in my party decked out with kick ass gear and about 60,000 cole for my eventual 3rd playthrough.

Game is still awesome! ^_^
There's a pretty comprehensive guide right here!

It's what I used. Although I didn't really have to since most of the stuff came to me. Definitely needed it for Mimi's end though...

Durante

Coxy said:
Thanks! Avoiding spoilers on the first playthrough is fine, but nothing comes between me and my basket.

While we're at storage, I enjoy some of the "meta" humor they have going on where the characters discuss mechanics or genre tropes. It's not overdone but when it's there it's pretty fun. One example is the shared container:
container5u68.jpg

There's another one about the practicality of Melvia's adventuring attire which could have been straight out of a GAF thread.

RurouniZel

Durante said:
Thanks! Avoiding spoilers on the first playthrough is fine, but nothing comes between me and my basket.

While we're at storage, I enjoy some of the "meta" humor they have going on where the characters discuss mechanics or genre tropes. It's not overdone but when it's there it's pretty fun. One example is the shared container:
http://www.abload.de/img/container5u68.jpg[IMG]

There's another one about the practicality of Melvia's adventuring attire which could have been straight out of a GAF thread.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, one of the things I like about the PS3 Atelier games is that they clearly don't take themselves all that seriously. :-P There's a good amount of self-parody, but it's never all that overdone. ^^

Ravage

RurouniZel said:
Yeah, one of the things I like about the PS3 Atelier games is that they clearly don't take themselves all that seriously. :p There's a good amount of self-parody, but it's never all that overdone. ^^

Oh yes, it's definitely refreshing to take a break away from the standard save-the-world plot plaguing every game these days :)

RurouniZel

Ravage said:
Oh yes, it's definitely refreshing to take a break away from the standard save-the-world plot plaguing every game these days :)

Exactly. There's a brilliant bit in the first game where Sterk is feeling blue about his job as a Knight, because he was hoping for adventure and maiden-rescuing, and it was mostly guard duty and other boring tasks that no one else can be asked to do. I loved how the game was basically making fun of its own lack of urgency. :p

Rarutos

RurouniZel said:
Exactly. There's a brilliant bit in the first game where Sterk is feeling blue about his job as a Knight, because he was hoping for adventure and maiden-rescuing, and it was mostly guard duty and other boring tasks that no one else can be asked to do. I loved how the game was basically making fun of its own lack of urgency. :p
Sterk is one of my favorite characters in the whole series. I like how he's one of the more serious characters, but is actually rather silly. Like how he still proclaims himself a knight when the kingdom turned into a republic. He just can't let go of his dreams. :p

Coxy

Yeah I was actually really impressed with how they developed Sterk through the 3 games

I definitely think Melvia was my favourite in Totori though, that bit about her outfit was definitely amusing and spoilers for late game event here:
I just had to grin at the swimsuit show where everyone is all nervous except Mel and Pamela. "A beautiful young woman, well I fit the bill perfectly but..." her ego is kinda charming

Durante

Just got to Silver, and immediately went for the
basket event
. I like that it's a lot earlier in the game than in Rorona. By the way, I got silver on 12/27 in the first year. I think I was pretty efficient, though I think you could probably squeeze out a month or so if you tried hard enough

Rarutos

Durante said:
Just got to Silver, and immediately went for the
basket event
. I like that it's a lot earlier in the game than in Rorona. By the way, I got silver on 12/27 in the first year. I think I was pretty efficient, though I think you could probably squeeze out a month or so if you tried hard enough
Indeed, it's really not too hard to rank up if you try! Heck, I got to Diamond rank before the end of the 2nd year...

can i cry , now ? my copy just arrived ( and yes i did pre order )

don't have any space left for thsi poster ( yet )opening the box now ...

And teh artbook is nice ..i prefer rorona artbook because it was more "like a book" ..gotta start it now .

EDIT : of course a mandatory install.... go faster progression bar !!

Top Bottom