• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlanta |OT| The Other Lost City

Status
Not open for further replies.
Atlanta-GAF, quick question.

I will be in Atlanta on the 17 and 18 of this month. It will be the first stop of a business trip that will also take me to Chicago, NY and Boston.

I need a quality winter coat, but I don't want to buy it where I live(Costa Rica) as it will be extremely expensive because the options are limited due to our weather not being comparable at all.

I was wondering if any of yoy could be so kind as to recommend me a place to check out in hopes of finding what I need as soon as I get there. I will be staying at the Residence Inn Atlanta Midtown/Peachtree at 17th, Peachtree Street Northeast, if that is any help.

I would say I'd be willing to spend between 200-250 dollars. Hopefully that is enough to find something stylish, durable and most important, warm. :-D

Thanks.

You want something like a department store, or a boutique?

Your best bet at finding something would be heading up the road a bit to Lenox, but I think there are a couple shops like that around that part of town. Not an in-town guy, but I know others can tell you better. Our selection won't be like you can find in the other cities, because we just don't have that cold weather as much.

I guess either would work, I'm not that picky.

As for the selection, doesn't really matter. I usually do a couple of trips per year to the US where i would need it, so it's not like it will be getting heavy use.

giga

I'd prob try Nordstrom in Lenox. You can check their website to see what they have in stock in store. If not that, gap will definitely have options under that price range.

Jeffrey

if 'stylish' isn't needed, think my dad picked up a $10 winter coat at walmart the other day.

Seems to work for him lol.

Atlanta-GAF, quick question.

I will be in Atlanta on the 17 and 18 of this month. It will be the first stop of a business trip that will also take me to Chicago, NY and Boston.

I need a quality winter coat, but I don't want to buy it where I live(Costa Rica) as it will be extremely expensive because the options are limited due to our weather not being comparable at all.

I was wondering if any of yoy could be so kind as to recommend me a place to check out in hopes of finding what I need as soon as I get there. I will be staying at the Residence Inn Atlanta Midtown/Peachtree at 17th, Peachtree Street Northeast, if that is any help.

I would say I'd be willing to spend between 200-250 dollars. Hopefully that is enough to find something stylish, durable and most important, warm. :-D

Thanks.

Just FYI. since you will be on 17th street. you literally can grab a 2 min uber and head to Atlantic Station (Also on 17th street) . There is a Dillard's and other stores there as well (more if you are a female). You can also hit the movies, ice skate and grab some food/drinks there too. IF you want the uber to be free pm me.

Lenox is only 15 mins away which will give you more options and is a huge mall. Atlantic Station would just be quicker.

RBH

newsEngin.17391398_Summerhill-Hank-Aaron-Drive-Corporate-Office-View.jpg

newsEngin.17391398_Summerhill--Internal-Courtyard-Plaza-Corporate-Office-View.jpg

newsEngin.17391398_Summerhill--Hank-Aaron-Drive-Transit-Plaza-View.jpg

newsEngin.17391398_Georgia-State-Football-Day-Rendering-Fall-2016.jpg

Here's your first look at what the area around Turner Field could become under a redevelopment plan by Georgia State University and the private development team of Atlanta-based Carter and Oakwood Development.

On Tuesday, Georgia State University and the private development team that acquired the former Atlanta Braves stadium near downtown showed off new renderings showing the design concepts of what they hope to build on the 68-acre site. The partners also unveiled more details about what they plan to build and when.

Georgia State University and a private development team closed Thursday on their $30 million purchase of the ballpark and surrounding parking lots, completing the long-simmering deal and marking a new era for The Ted and the neighborhoods around it.

Georgia State, whose football team has spent its first few seasons at the Georgia Dome, plans to play at The Ted this fall. The first phase of stadium renovation is expected to start next month.

A broader overhaul of Turner Field is expected before the Panthers play their second football season in 2018. Georgia State's athletic offices and the school's hospitality program also will be based at the stadium.

A new Georgia State baseball field that will include aspects honoring the legacy of the Atlanta Braves and Hall of Fame slugger Hank Aaron will be built after Turner Field is finished, Georgia State University President Mark Becker said.

Georgia State athletics will be one focus of the project, but so will residential and commercial development, backers say, bringing a more consistent stream of residents and workers to help support the mixed-use project. The aim is to bring back life to some of the city's oldest neighborhoods.

Among the initial features:

-Carter and its private partners are in the process of acquiring more than four acres and about eight buildings along Georgia Avenue that will be restored starting this year with neighborhood retail, potentially including local restaurants and a coffee shop.

-Also this year, the private development team plans to start construction on a 850-bed private student housing complex along the Downtown Connector near The Ted and a 200-unit apartment project with ground-floor retail at the northeast corner of Georgia Avenue and Hank Aaron Drive. The student housing complex will take two years to build, while the first apartment project will take about 18 months.

-Sections of the site plan envision later phases to include larger office buildings to woo potential corporate expansions and relocations. The development partners also envision space for the region's burgeoning startup scene

Carter President Scott Taylor said his firm wants to have retail and restaurant tenants in the Georgia Avenue buildings starting this fall, and the partners plan events to help bring activity to the site.

His firm and Georgia State will also be heavy advocates for extending light rail to the site from downtown under the recently approved MARTA sales tax initiative. A line that would connect downtown to the Beltline down Hank Aaron Drive is one potential project on the MARTA expansion list.

Each of the design concepts for the project, Taylor said, incorporates elements of a community-driven design process called a Livable Centers Initiative that was steered by the city, the Atlanta Regional Commission and the surrounding neighborhoods.
http://www.ajc.com/business/how-turner-field-might-look-the-near-future/Z8BbXzXqAvhmywysbg5i3K/

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
It's the year of Atlanta:
- the TV show winning 2 Golden globes
- John Lewis taking a stand against the orange fat fuck
- falcons headed to the super bowl

/Bandwagons

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
HI Atlanta GAF.

Random shot in the dark here, anyone interested in buying a racing wheel, pedal and stand? Would rather sell at a discount to a local GAFer than deal with Craigslist if possible, and too bulky/heavy to mess with selling online and shipping.

Here's what I have, with links to Amazon product pages if you want to read more, check reviews etc. If interested, PM me on here and I can send pics and answer any questions.

-Thrustmaster T300RS Wheel (PS4/PS3/PC)

-Thrustmaster T3PA Pro Pedals (I don't have the crappy plastic pedals that came with the wheel, just these upgraded ones).

-Wheelstand Pro Deluxe

I don't have the original packaging, but otherwise they're all good as new as I'm selling it as I just didn't end up using it nearly as much as I though I would.

On Amazon all that together is going for $720 new currently (the pedals are $30 off at the moment). I'd probably list on Craigslist for $550, but willing to take $450 from a GAF member to save the hassle of dealing with randoms on a higher value item.

I live in the city, so I'm willing to meet anywhere inside or near the perimeter if anyone is interested.

I'm moving to Atlanta this August for my first job out of college... can I hope on the bandwagon as well?

Depends. Do you think you'll stay an ATL fan after this SB run? If the answer is yes,

Stay far, far away from ATL sports if you can.

although the Falcons have a very promising future ahead with one of the youngest defenses and the offense basically locked down for another year or two

I'm going to Atlanta in April to see Radiohead and my gf and I are gonna make a day out of it. What are the best places to visit/eat/drink at in downtown ATL? The show is at the Philips Arena so it's right in the heart of downtown.

Also, what is the parking situation like? Lots available around the arena or nah?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Braves should be back in a year or so too, so there's something else to look forward to.

Hawks are gonna Atlanta though.

Braves have been a year or two away every year for the last like 3 years. I don't see this changing anytime soon either.

On that note just now Cobb county is having a public meeting on traffic around the new stadium and if money for traffic has been actually spent or (spent well).

Consider me shocked they boondoggled first and then decided to ask questions later about traffic. Smh...

Braves have been a year or two away every year for the last like 3 years. I don't see this changing anytime soon either.

On that note just now Cobb county is having a public meeting on traffic around the new stadium and if money for traffic has been actually spent or (spent well).

Consider me shocked they boondoggled first and then decided to ask questions later about traffic. Smh...

Top farm system two years in a row. Once the money starts coming in from the development, they'll contend seriously. The TV contract has been a huge morass.

Anyone who follows them religiously knew it would be a few years for a rebuild to take shape. We are approaching the end of that.

RoKKeR

Depends. Do you think you'll stay an ATL fan after this SB run? If the answer is yes,

Stay far, far away from ATL sports if you can.

although the Falcons have a very promising future ahead with one of the youngest defenses and the offense basically locked down for another year or two
Should have taken this to heart! Jesus...

zsswimmer

92.9 is a funeral rn.
God damn.

The Winnipeg Jets
Atlanta has a storied history of building great central Canadian hockey teams.
Fucking breaks my heart man, Thrashers tickets were so cheap and live nhl, even atl hockey, is fun to watch. I get my fix from the Atlanta Gladiators though

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
ATLiens, what is the word on Doraville? I am thinking of renting there when I move next month. Seems nice, but good to hear form people who live in the area and not a Zillow listing.

Katori

ATLiens, what is the word on Doraville? I am thinking of renting there when I move next month. Seems nice, but good to hear form people who live in the area and not a Zillow listing.

Where are you now? I would say go in the perimeter if possible, especially if you're buying.

Ganhyun

Can't speak for Doraville as a whole, but the part on 141 by Chamblee (where the Oasis is) has seen better days, but is decently policed since its an easy way to get tickets on slightly drunk people leaving the club. I know Chamblee itself is very run down and has some rough characters at night. Thats about all I know. I'd say go slightly north into Peachtree Corners or Norcross if you could, but not sure what your budget or travel needs are.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Can't speak for Doraville as a whole, but the part on 141 by Chamblee (where the Oasis is) has seen better days, but is decently policed since its an easy way to get tickets on slightly drunk people leaving the club. I know Chamblee itself is very run down and has some rough characters at night. Thats about all I know. I'd say go slightly north into Peachtree Corners or Norcross if you could, but not sure what your budget or travel needs are.

Where are you now? I would say go in the perimeter if possible, especially if you're buying.

I am in Houston, moving to the area next month. Most likely Alpharetta will be where I end up. I saw a crazy good deal on a place in Doraville and thought I would see what is up on the area. Sounds like a pass to me. I'll be renting a house my first year there until I figure out the city/region.

giga

Doraville has great food nearby but I wouldn't want to live there. Alpharetta is also pretty far removed from the city. What are you looking for in a place to live?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom