• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlanta |OT| The Other Lost City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
YOOOO!!!

PERFECT THREAD TO SEE!

Here's the deal - wife and I were 17,000 points from Companion Pass status with Southwest. I'm not about to spend $17K on a credit card between now and Dec 31st. However, if you purchase a Business Select Flight, you get a 24x points bonus.

Unfortunately, we didn't have a single free weekend, and so we literally just blew $700 on a flight to Atlanta, lol. We will be there from 11am Sat - 1pm Sun. That's it. It's just a way for us to get that pass.

With that said, what is the ONE thing we should do?

- We love good food
- We don't mind walking
- We're mildly active
- We like culture, or the "atmosphere" of a new city

We'll spend money if it's worth it - awesome concert/venue/etc.

Suggestions? We'll be at a hotel about 7 miles from the airport. We can probably uber or taxi wherever.

kagete

You will likely travel light with no luggage then. May I ask where you're from to get some perspective of what Atlanta would maybe have to offer that your hometown doesn't?

With half a day Saturday I would go to Ponce City Market and find lunch there. Yes, the lunch options in it aren't what locals would recommend but it's a good place to spend 2-4 hours. Get on the rooftop for the view of the city or walk on the Beltline from there to see the locals and look for hidden gems of art. Uber is easy on ATL weekends but traffic can be hit-or-miss at random times of day.

For hotel choices, you can go to Hapeville/College Park (nearest the airport), Buckhead, or Midtown. If you stay anywhere near Midtown on the East side you can hit up Piedmont Park early on Sunday to people watch and roam around. On the West side of Midtown you will be closer to Top Golf, but that opens at 9AM so you may only get an hour or so before you'd have to get back to the airport for your departure flight. Alternatively, just go to Top Golf late Saturday night to end your evening as it closes at midnight.

For food recommendations I'm not so good. I think I'm easily impressed when I eat out so most places that people consider as 6 or 7s out of 10 I think are 9s and 10s.

If you're coming in this Saturday, the air quality will be terrible because of the forest fires up north. Enjoy!

http://local.clatl.com/publication/best-of-atlanta/2016

andthebeatgoeson

Be safe ATL GAF. Tornado spotted? Fulton and DeKalb are under a warning. Just heard on the radio that one was spotted.

They said warning until 2 something.

Yeah we had to go to middle of our building for 20 minutes here in Sandy Springs. Forsyth county schools are on lock down so my kids are still at school.

maxcriden

Hope y'all are safe and sound. We sheltered at work and I know my wife did at school also. Taking Marta in an hour if it's running, hopefully it will do so if it's safe.

andthebeatgoeson

City of Decatur schools are releasing now but ajc has a warning in Gwinnett, Forsythe and hall counties until 245

Emory midtown was forced to go into the basement.

RBH

falcons-inside.jpg

Mercedes-Benz Stadium officials announced Wednesday the lineup of restaurant partners that will be featured in the new Falcons stadium when it opens next year.

The partners, mostly Atlanta-based, will offer menu items “priced comparably or the same as what is found in their respective restaurants,” according to the announcement.

Here’s the lineup provided by stadium officials:

• Antico pizza

• Bruster’s Real Ice Cream

• Chick-fil-A

• Golden Brown & Delicious, a Southern concept from Concentrics Restaurants

• Delia’s Chicken Sausage

• Farm Burger, locally-sourced grass-fed beef burgers

• Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q

• Iberian Pig, modern Spanish fare by Castellucci Hospitality Group

• Jim ‘N Nicks barbeque

• Kevin Gillespie’s Gamechanger, “big flavors with playful riffs on American indulgence”

• King of Pops, popsicles

• Miss D’s Popcorn (also pralines and sweets)

• Snackology 101 Market, natural and organic foods

• Sublime Doughnuts

• The Varsity, “iconic hot dogs and part of Atlanta’s history since 1928”

Mercedes-Benz Stadium and concession partner Levy Restaurants polled some 4,000 Falcons and Atlanta United fans about the types of food and restaurants they want in the stadium, according to the announcement.

Earlier this year, the stadium unveiled a plan to buck sports-industry tradition with sharply reduced prices on some popular concession-stand items, including $2 hot dogs, $2 soft drinks (with free refills) and $3 nachos.

Mercedes-Benz Stadium, scheduled to open next summer, will be home to the Falcons and the Atlanta United soccer team. College football’s national championship game will be played there in January 2018, the Super Bowl in February 2019 and college basketball’s Final Four in April 2020.
http://www.ajc.com/sports/football/...s-restaurant-partners/Aay0h3P90GbFUiDHtl9VYL/

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Hey, I'm working in Atlanta for a a little over a week and have my first days off right now through the weekend. Plan on going to olympic park, Center for Civil and Human Rights, and maybe CNN building, but where else should I go.

Also, I'm on a fried chicken quest. When to zaxby's for the first time and loved it. Buffalo boneless wings and zax sause, killer. May even put it up there with popeyes. I'm afraid to go back to bojangles because I haven't eaten there in 16 years and I'm worried it won't live up to my memories. Also plan on going DBA Barbecue. Anywhere else I should go?

I'm currently staying near the airport so anything close to that area would be nice as well. Heard a lot of good things about spondivits.

Afrocious

Lol I thought this thread was about the show.

Anyway, I got an interview coming up with a company there in the coming weeks. Haven't been to Georgia in ages, but I don't think I've ever been to Atlanta before (as an adult at least).

How's the black geek/nerd community? I'l be lost otherwise if I end up getting this job.

RBH

Hey, I'm working in Atlanta for a a little over a week and have my first days off right now through the weekend. Plan on going to olympic park, Center for Civil and Human Rights, and maybe CNN building, but where else should I go.

Also, I'm on a fried chicken quest. When to zaxby's for the first time and loved it. Buffalo boneless wings and zax sause, killer. May even put it up there with popeyes. I'm afraid to go back to bojangles because I haven't eaten there in 16 years and I'm worried it won't live up to my memories. Also plan on going DBA Barbecue. Anywhere else I should go?

I'm currently staying near the airport so anything close to that area would be nice as well. Heard a lot of good things about spondivits.

Ponce City Market is a nice little place to stop by. Lots of local eateries, and it's connected to the Atlanta Beltline as well.

The Georgia Aquarium is also nice, and it's right next to Olympic Park.

As far as fried chicken goes, one of my favorite places is South City Kitchen. It's a sit-down restaurant rather than fast food, but their fried chicken is great.

And Bojangles is still awesome.

Internet has been out all day. Have to wait until tomorrow afternoon for an appointment. I just know these fuckers are going to blame me and charge me.

Afrocious

Looks like I'll be moving to Atlanta soon. Gotta figure out where to live...I'll be bumping this thread regularly from this point on.

My job will be in Ponce City Market. I'll need to budget out the salary, but I dunno if it's wise to live within PCM. Seems mad expensive though I can afford a 1 bedroom apartment at this stage in my life.

If I needed to get to Ponce City Market on a daily basis, any suggestions as to which neighborhood to stay in?

A part of me is considering College Park.

Nairume

Banned
Looks like I'll be moving to Atlanta soon. Gotta figure out where to live...I'll be bumping this thread regularly from this point on.

My job will be in Ponce City Market. I'll need to budget out the salary, but I dunno if it's wise to live within PCM. Seems mad expensive though I can afford a 1 bedroom apartment at this stage in my life.

If I needed to get to Ponce City Market on a daily basis, any suggestions as to which neighborhood to stay in?

Depending on what your budget is (and going by how living in PCM is out of it), you might have some luck in the Druid Hills area, which would still be close enough while not being as overpriced as living further into the city.

Esiquio

Bruh, don't move to College Park unless you have to. I stayed there for a week waiting for my place to open up and...damn, I was in a sketch-ass place. PCM is super nice and expensive, but if you're willing to commute you can find a more affordable place in any North-ish direction. I'm in Smyrna but going to move next year because of the terrible traffic the stadium will bring. Personally looking towards Sandy Springs as a possibility.

I've only been here in the ATL for a little over a year, true locals please dispense the knowledge.

Ganhyun

Bruh, don't move to College Park unless you have to. I stayed there for a week waiting for my place to open up and...damn, I was in a sketch-ass place. PCM is super nice and expensive, but if you're willing to commute you can find a more affordable place in any North-ish direction. I'm in Smyrna but going to move next year because of the terrible traffic the stadium will bring. Personally looking towards Sandy Springs as a possibility.

I've only been here in the ATL for a little over a year, true locals please dispense the knowledge.

College Park is not a place you really want to live in if you can help it. It sucks but thats the current state.

Druid Hills would be a good spot, or, if you are willing to live further away, Peachtree Corners/Norcross would be a good fit most likely.

giga

The flats at pcm look amazing but you're literally paying an extra $1k just for that location. Live in midtown proper or o4w and save some money (thought I'd never say that).

heytred

Neo Member

If you're trying to get to Ponce City Market daily, you have a ton of options outside of actually living in PCM. Not even worth the money unless you're an ultra yuppie.

Old Fourth Ward is your best bet, but it's the perfect mix of snooty catty and stabby shooty. Getting expensive pretty quick.

Inman Park is my next suggestion. Very quiet, lots of cheaper apartments scattered around in great locations. Not going to find anything new here though - almost all renovated older buildings.

East Atlanta (the village, Grant Park, Ormewood, etc.) is also a good bet honestly. A little more of a commute (and congestion on Moreland/Boulevard) but it's really not bad. 10 mins to PCM.

Virginia Highlands is another viable option.

Lots of choices really. Just depends on what kind of environment you're looking for. If you have any questions about specific neighborhoods, let me know.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Never got the hype for varsity. It's just cafeteria food. There wings are ok.

Agreed. I was in Atlanta last year for the Peach Bowl and stopped by the Varsity. Didn't understand the hype at all. Thought it was decent. I figure that it is more about some emotional attachments than anything else.

Fast forward a year and I am moving to Atlanta in March. Looking at Smyrna or Sandy Springs. Renting a house for a year, then going to buy. My brother lives there so I have visited alot and think it will be an easy transition from Houston.

Subscribed to this thread for info and help.

Ganhyun

Hope Atlanta GAF is ready for the snow. I just really hope we dont get a lot of black ice with it again as well.

Kaladin

Has anyone ever ate at Nori Nori? It's a huge Japanese buffet with sushi and I'm considering asking for a meal there for my birthday this year.

icespide

Banned
stay safe Atlanta GAF. I don't live in Atlanta anymore but during the winter shit in 2014 I had to abandon my prius on the road and I slept in a hardees.

Jeffrey

Has anyone ever ate at Nori Nori? It's a huge Japanese buffet with sushi and I'm considering asking for a meal there for my birthday this year.
Yes. Not cheap, but its a good sushi buffet.

snow seems to be tomorrow after work which is fine. I'll just stay home and play video games this weekend I guess.

Luckily I'm off work this weekend so I'll get to enjoy watching all the chaos but the poor wife is a 3rd shift nurse working Friday night so an she's equipping an over night bag. Since we live out in Paulding roads get bad quick with a lot of tall trees along our roads they don't get much sunlight on them.

zethren

Banned
stay safe Atlanta GAF. I don't live in Atlanta anymore but during the winter shit in 2014 I had to abandon my prius on the road and I slept in a hardees.

Yeah that was extremely rough for a lot of folks.

I have weekends off so I'm thankful for that. I'll be watching The snowpocalypse unfold from my apartment.

If you can, stay home from work Saturday , you guys.

Forecasts have it being potentially as bad as Snowmageddon 2014, however the wedge between warmer temps is smaller, so it's not going to be a week-long ordeal.
Seems to be because rain will likely proceed wet snow and sub-20 temps going from Friday into Sat. Ice likely as of now.
Prepare accordingly.

tlaKiAF.jpg

D_psipher

I have been there a couple of times. The food is nice but it will cost you bit. It was around 29.99 a person last time I went. Also check their schedule. They close between lunch and dinner.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
If we can have Lionel mandrake LiveJournaling Atlanta's plight/journey, it'll all be for the best

kagete

Lunch is cheaper but not worth it. Dinner is good, because you can eat all the sashimi you can. Be prepared to wait 30min to an hour for a table!

maxcriden

Been out of town and headed back in tomorrow... when is the snow supposed to start? Kinda want to come back early in the day now.

Edit: looks like 4PM Friday is the potential start.

I've been there a couple of times, but it was pretty expensive and the sushi was meh.

If you're just looking for a good sushi place around that part of Sandy Springs that's a little cheaper, check out Blue Grotto.

That same snow storm just dumped 6-12 inches here in Denver. You guys might as well hit Publix now.

Ganhyun

Folks are already freaking about bread and milk

Same here. I stopped and grabbed other items I needed (I already have bread and milk) and the bread aisle and the milk aisle were full of people but they were all ignoring anything else.

I honestly wonder if any of them thought to grab stuff to go on the bread or not, lol.

zethren

Banned
Same here. I stopped and grabbed other items I needed (I already have bread and milk) and the bread aisle and the milk aisle were full of people but they were all ignoring anything else.

I honestly wonder if any of them thought to grab stuff to go on the bread or not, lol.

lol amazing.
I'll be stocking up on food today after work for sure. Will report back on the status of milk and bread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom