• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlanta |OT| The Other Lost City

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's actually a little tradition of ours to do exactly that if the roads are closed. Makes for a little walking adventure and some exercise.

Think I might go grab some waterproof boots tonight though.

h3ro

Damn, had plans to drive down to Savannah for the weekend! Time to cancel, no way I'm dealing with Atlanta drivers during a possible rain/snow/sleet situation.

giga

J4Kbq.gif

And if that one is closed, go to the one across the street
And if that one is closed go to the one at the bottom of your mixed use building.

Ganhyun

lol, everyone at work is wondering if we will be allowed to leave early today. Yesterday, the owner's wife was telling us that it wasnt going to snow anymore, just rain and everyone was worked up over nothing.

I showed her the NWS and local news reports of, yes, it will snow, and she shrugged it off and said that they expected everyone to work a full day today.

I wonder if someone will show her Brad Nitz's tweet to be home before sunset he sent out this morning.

lol, everyone at work is wondering if we will be allowed to leave early today. Yesterday, the owner's wife was telling us that it wasnt going to snow anymore, just rain and everyone was worked up over nothing.

I showed her the NWS and local news reports of, yes, it will snow, and she shrugged it off and said that they expected everyone to work a full day today.

I wonder if someone will show her Brad Nitz's tweet to be home before sunset he sent out this morning.

Yeah, sunset is like 3pm some days with clouds.

heytred

Neo Member
This is why I love working for a tech 'start up'. Office is pretty dead, most people are working from home, and those of us here are all leaving at about 11:30. Snow or not, it's at least an early start to the weekend.

Ganhyun

Yeah, sunset is like 3pm some days with clouds.

I'm leaving early regardless. I worked extra hours last night on an issue so its not like they can tell me not to (they can but its not like I'll be willing to stay).

This is why I love working for a tech 'start up'. Office is pretty dead, most people are working from home, and those of us here are all leaving at about 11:30. Snow or not, it's at least an early start to the weekend.

The people who own/run the company I work for tend to expect you to work no matter what. Like, back in 2014 they let everyone leave if they wanted to but game everyone the impression that if you left early and it ended up not being a big deal it would look very bad on you. The CEO and I were the last two people in the office (I was working on an issue that had to be fixed before I could leave and he was waiting on an employee to come in and get their laptop to potentially work from home) and he flat out told me that everyone was worked up over nothing. We all know how that turned out..

My job booked us all hotels for the night. I'm packing my bag now. Probably overkill, but better to be prepared than wishing you had something.

Ganhyun

Saw on the wsbtv site that both the Governor's office and the Atlanta mayor's office. Told management I was leaving around 1-2. Mentioned the Governor saying to be home by 4 and it being on the news. Gotta help my coworkers out however I can.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't look like it will amount to much here, just north of I20 in East Atlanta. Hourly forecast for my zipcode just showing rain, a bit of wintery mix and a couple hours of snow around 2-3 am.

Has just been rain so far.

Came down hot and heavy for a minute, now it's back to freezing rain. If the moisture in the air keeps up, yeah, it could come down in buckets. We probably got 1/4" in about thirty minutes.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Freezing rain down here in East Point. Whiskey, beer and red wine are readily available. Would walk to Popeye's at this point

Nairume

Banned
Just rain and sleet in Tucker.

Of course, the cycle is going to continue and the next time there is a winter warning, it'll be business as usual, and then we get another snowpocalypse.

Just rain and sleet in Tucker.

Of course, the cycle is going to continue and the next time there is a winter warning, it'll be business as usual, and then we get another snowpocalypse.

Yup. I place a lot of blame on the need to hype weather.

WSB when the radio station was started: Welcome South, Brother

WSB-TV today: Weather and Shootings, Brother

SMH at the usual redneck dipshits that come out in this.

But LMAO at the WSB cameraman that zoomed in on the plate of one dumbass.

I don't understand how you can screw up an 18 hour forecast this badly. Not with how much you hype your weather teams.

If you have no fucking clue what is going to happen, say so. The models obviously do the work for Atlanta with winter precipitation.

MrNelson

Banned
I don't understand how you can screw up an 18 hour forecast this badly. Not with how much you hype your weather teams.

If you have no fucking clue what is going to happen, say so. The models obviously do the work for Atlanta with winter precipitation.
To be fair, the forecasts are made up of the average of several different models that all try to factor in the probability of certain events happening. With this the snowfall totals were going to be determined by how quickly a pocket of warmer air in the atmosphere moved away from the area. Some predicted it would move away sooner, giving more snow than ice, and other predicted it would move later, giving more ice/freezing rain. As time went on yesterday, more models came into agreement that the latter was going to happen, and everyone, even the National Weather Service, continued to update the forecasts as the updated models came in.

Yeah, one of the guys on the weather channel yesterday morning (Greg Postel) that I think specializes in winter storms pretty much called it yesterday morning how it was going to turn out, mostly an ice evening. I didn't see Ch 2 or 5 adjust to the same forecast until late last night.

To be fair, the forecasts are made up of the average of several different models that all try to factor in the probability of certain events happening. With this the snowfall totals were going to be determined by how quickly a pocket of warmer air in the atmosphere moved away from the area. Some predicted it would move away sooner, giving more snow than ice, and other predicted it would move later, giving more ice/freezing rain. As time went on yesterday, more models came into agreement that the latter was going to happen, and everyone, even the National Weather Service, continued to update the forecasts as the updated models came in.

My issue is that this is a repeated thing. It is also an issue that at 11pm last night they were still calling for a wide path of 3"+. I was in that area - there might be a half inch at the most, and that was for snow that was to be developing in less than an hour. It's one thing to be off on a 48 hour forecast, it's quite another to be off on a 48 minute forecast.

The reason that 2014 was so bad is that the timing was completely off, whether it be from the models being wrong or them not trusting it.

giga

This show though. I started watching yesterday and I can hardly stop. 5 episodes in and they've all been pretty good. Every episode so far has had at least one scene that's made me bust out, but even beyond the comedy the character development has been great. Fantastic show.

🤔

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't look like it will amount to much here, just north of I20 in East Atlanta. Hourly forecast for my zipcode just showing rain, a bit of wintery mix and a couple hours of snow around 2-3 am.

Has just been rain so far.

Just stayed rain overnight here as far as I can tell, unless any ice was melted by 8:30 when I got up.

Staying in all day to avoid any bad roads, the ones that get shade all day I'm sure are still iced over as the temperature has been low. The good news is it's been sunny enough almost all the melting ice/snow has been evaporating so I'm hoping tomorrow is all clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom