• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlanta |OT| The Other Lost City

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpmurphy

Tokyo Attack setup at Momocon was great, if anyone did end up going.

I spent most of my time at the Jubeat prop machines though. lol

RBH

0YN1UsL.jpg

giga

As someone outside the state, why is Lee such a poor choice?

- in 2008, cobb residents voted to approve $40M in funds to buy lands for public parks, necessary to keep up with the national standard (10 acres per 1000 residents)
- chairman tim lee is now saying that only $20M will be available and that the other half will only come through higher taxes
- people are now wondering how they were able to fund the braves stadium for $400M, something that was approved without a public vote, while they can't fund $20M in park land

fuckery all around.

andthebeatgoeson

- in 2008, cobb residents voted to approve $40M in funds to buy lands for public parks, necessary to keep up with the national standard (10 acres per 1000 residents)
- chairman tim lee is now saying that only $20M will be available and that the other half will only come through higher taxes
- people are now wondering how they were able to fund the braves stadium for $400M, something that was approved without a public vote, while they can't fund $20M in park land

fuckery all around.

Yeah, we all know it was BS. Cobb can get fucked.

fuckery all around.

My friend was just telling me about this a couple days ago. Also, his home and my parents home tax value went through the roof after the current reassessment (1980's model homes that went from 100k value to almost 150k). I'm glad I'm next door in Paulding now.

Moved from ATL to Cali for a job. I miss the hell out of Atlanta. The food was absolutely amazing!

If you haven't been, Agora, Einstein, Flying Biscuit and Highland Bakery in midtown are great.

tmdorsey

Moved from ATL to Cali for a job. I miss the hell out of Atlanta. The food was absolutely amazing!

If you haven't been, Agora, Einstein, Flying Biscuit and Highland Bakery in midtown are great.

I think the food here is seriously unrated across the country. When I go to other places the eats just doesn't seem as good.

My friend was just telling me about this a couple days ago. Also, his home and my parents home tax value went through the roof after the current reassessment (1980's model homes that went from 100k value to almost 150k). I'm glad I'm next door in Paulding now.

The values have finally rebounded to about where they were in the mid-2000s. Our value was down around 30k for a good while, now back above 100k.

Ganhyun

What the fuck?

He is saying that more people protesting Trump hopefully equals less people driving like maniacs in rush hour causing wrecks, caterpillar traffic, near-wrecks, and other sorts of issues all while likely staring at their cell phones instead of actually paying attention to the road.

(I hate the drivers in the Atlanta metro area. Most of them are complete jackasses while driving and have no concept of actual safe/smart driving)

At lunch I watched a driver drive off into the BIKE lane to avoid having to wait to turn right at the next light and almost hit three cyclists. Driver slammed on her brakes and honked until they got off the bike path and onto the grass and then roared by yelling at them to get off the road.

That is the type of driver he is talking about.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
at least it isn't raining (at the moment). It's like everyone forgets how to drive here when it rains.

giga

He is saying that more people protesting Trump hopefully equals less people driving like maniacs in rush hour causing wrecks, caterpillar traffic, near-wrecks, and other sorts of issues all while likely staring at their cell phones instead of actually paying attention to the road.

(I hate the drivers in the Atlanta metro area. Most of them are complete jackasses while driving and have no concept of actual safe/smart driving)

At lunch I watched a driver drive off into the BIKE lane to avoid having to wait to turn right at the next light and almost hit three cyclists. Driver slammed on her brakes and honked until they got off the bike path and onto the grass and then roared by yelling at them to get off the road.

Fruitcakes is a derogatory slang for gay people. Combined with trump being in midtown, it's not a good look.

maxcriden

Since fucking when?

It's a term for crazies. Has been forever.

It's both, but I think I've heard it more with the mentally unstable meaning.

By the 1930s both fruit and fruitcake terms are seen as not only negative but also to mean male homosexual,[8] although probably not universally. It should be noted that LGBT people were widely diagnosed as diseased with the potential for being cured, thus were regularly "treated" with castration,[30][31][32] lobotomies,[32][33] pudic nerve surgery,[34] and electroshock treatment.[35][36] so transferring the meaning of fruitcake, nutty, to someone who is deemed insane, or crazy, may have seemed rational at the time and many apparently believed that LGBT people were mentally unsound. In the United States, psychiatric institutions ("mental hospitals") where many of these procedures were carried out were called fruitcake factories while in 1960s Australia they were called fruit factories.[14]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit_(slang)

Ganhyun

giga

Fruitcake is used all the time in the South, and not in the derogatory way.

Sorry, not flying with me. Fruit, absolutely. Fruitcake, no way.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/nutty+as+a+fruitcake
Not flying with you? We've already explained how it's used both ways. Go re-read the wikipedia article and its citations. It doesn't have to fly with you when there's clear evidence showing its negative past.

Well, he didn't, he went to GAF. How would one drive in a flamboyant manner?
What? The assumption was that because Trump was in midtown, all the fruitcakes would clear the roads.

RBH

westside-trail-holderness-1.jpg

Light rail connecting the Atlanta Beltline's Westside Trail to Downtown and Armour Yard? Yep! Bus rapid transit on Northside Drive? Indeed. New MARTA stations at Krog Street, Mechanicsville, and Murphy Crossing, improvements to other stops, and a number of bus upgrades? Yes, yes, and yes. Sky Buckets along Moreland Avenue? Not yet!

These are just some of the projects that the Atlanta City Council on Monday said should be eligible to receive cash from a half-percent sales tax voters will decide in November (the full list is below). If approved, that cash — a conservative estimate says it would generate $2.5 billion over 40 years — would help expand MARTA and build new transit in the City of Atlanta, plus maybe a rail line from Lindbergh to Emory University. (That is, if DeKalb County opts to join the fun.)

If the selection of projects looks familiar, that's because the list is nearly identical to the collection of options city officials presented to voters just a few weeks ago, when the lightning-fast public-engagement process began. However, the $2.5 billion won't be enough to fund all the rail lines, bus routes, and new stations.

The decision to include more projects than the tax could realistically pay for was done to provide flexibility, city and transit officials say. MARTA Board Chairman Robbie Ashe says MARTA officials will look at the projects and determine which ones could move ahead with local funding — for example, some of the proposed bus routes. Others might be good candidates for federal funding, with the tax revenues acting as a local match to compete for that cash. Officials will revisit the list every few years to decide which projects should be given more priority based on development and commuting patterns.

"We're not going to do anything that’s not on the list," Ashe says. "That’s why the list is broader than what could be funded. Our task is to continue to work the process and talk to Atlanta about, What is it you want to do?"

Here's a map created by commenter cqholt. Click the top-left corner to view the legend. Here's a link to the actual map.
http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives...s-make-city-councils-transit-tax-project-list

shcDKjO.png

NWxcBPc.png

andthebeatgoeson

Not my problem, as I've only ever heard southern ladies use the term to people they are intimately familiar with.
Stealth brag

No 400 Alpharetta no interest. I should just accept that its never happening. I'll be sitting in 400 traffic for the rest of my life.
Talk to your people. 'Those' people and when I say 'those', I mean, 'people' who drive along '400', if you catch my 'drift' 😉

Edit: Brookhaven to Five points? Please?

Fuck you, ATL. Good transit can be had.

Talk to your people. 'Those' people and when I say 'those', I mean, 'people' who drive along '400', if you catch my 'drift' 😉
Maybe I just work with more progressive people but everyone I work with that lives up there wants it. I will say I pretty much never interact with my conservative neighbors. The only neighbor I talk to is from California and has an Obama sticker on his car so maybe I'm somehow shielded from people who are truly afraid of scary urban people coming to north Fulton and south Forsyth. It can't continue though for this whole city. The traffic is only going to get worse. To me it's the only major negative of Atlanta.

Maybe with self driving cars that will somehow help. Audiobooks is the only way to survive now.

I bet if you tied Milton County creation to extending MARTA, it'd happen tomorrow.

I don't understand politicians who want to put their fingers in their ears as it pertains to traffic. I understand hating MARTA leadership though.

NastyBook

What the fuck?

Fruitcakes is a derogatory slang for gay people. Combined with trump being in midtown, it's not a good look.
Since fucking when?

It's a term for crazies. Has been forever.
It's both, but I think I've heard it more with the mentally unstable meaning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit_(slang)
What?

I always knew it as a term for people who acted/were crazy.

Huh, the more you know.
It's both. Then linked to midtown, i can see why he assumed you were talking one way.
Exactly. Try going into Blake's or Joe's on Juniper and saying it in a derogatory way, especially if you're straight. You won't have a nice time.
Fruitcake is used all the time in the South, and not in the derogatory way.

Sorry, not flying with me. Fruit, absolutely. Fruitcake, no way.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/nutty+as+a+fruitcake
Well, he didn't, he went to GAF. How would one drive in a flamboyant manner?
Not flying with you? We've already explained how it's used both ways. Go re-read the wikipedia article and its citations. It doesn't have to fly with you when there's clear evidence showing its negative past.

What? The assumption was that because Trump was in midtown, all the fruitcakes would clear the roads.
Not my problem, as I've only ever heard southern ladies use the term to people they are intimately familiar with.
0eJGTZF.jpg

*me at the bottom left in the red

EDIT: For the record, ganhyun described my use of the term correctly from my perspective. Had no idea there would be two sets of context working against each other. Sorry for the confusion.

RBH

Skyline Park, Ponce City Market's anticipated rooftop playground, is almost ready to open to the public.

An exact date of opening has not yet been solidified, PR representatives for Ponce City Market say. However, a concierge official tells What Now Atlanta that the area "aims" to open this Friday, July 1.

Once open, hours of operation will be Sunday through Wednesday from 11 AM to 9 PM, and Thursday through Saturday from 11 AM to 11 PM.

Guests will be able to access Skyline Park by way of one leisurely-paced freight elevator ride, for which an opening is located in the courtyard nearest to Onward Reserve. Additional elevators are available for guests who utilize wheel chairs.

On the roof, imaginative riffs on classic carnival fare will be available for purchase, including elevated concessions like BBQ pork sandwiches, gourmet hot dogs, and a "walking taco" - a snack-sized bag of Fritos, opened up and filled with chilli and appropriate chilli toppings.

The bar will feature beer on tap and an extensive wine list. Signature cocktails inspired by the history of Ponce City Market and the surrounding area will also be available, including the Ponce Park Cup mixed with Old Fourth Ward Vodka; Pemberton's Frozen GA Julep, containing peach bourbon and Coca-Cola; the Fernet Bonneville, a refreshing mix of fernet branca, imbue vermouth, ginger, grapefruit, lime, rosemary, and seltzer; and the Beltline Blue Fizz, finished with gin, blue curacao, blueberry jam, absinthe, rosewater, lemon and soda.

Nine Mile Station, a beer garden concept, is currently slated to open in August. The establishement will seek to reinvent the environment of a local gathering place with family-style dining, communal tables, an indoor and outdoor bar, a fireplace with lounge area, and of course, unparalleled panoramic views of the city from Buckhead to Downtown.

A private event space with the capacity to hold 450 people will also be located on the roof, in addition to tenant space.
https://whatnowatlanta.com/update-skyline-park-at-ponce-city-market-nears-opening/

IMG_2157.jpg

IMG_3286.jpg

IMG_3292.jpg

IMG_2194.jpg

IMG_2232.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom