• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlanta |OT| The Other Lost City

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready right now. Picking up my badge then going to dinner with friends. Debating the 8 bit ball or Wrestling. Definitely hitting up Trader Vic's. Always Trader Vic's.

That reminds me. One of the things I'll miss the most is DC Wrestling. It was usually the highlight of my Dragon-Cons.

I'm missing my first Dragon-Con in 15 years, but I think I'm glad to be done with it. Too many people, too much traffic, too hot, and too expensive for an event that I just didn't find to be fun anymore.

It really has gone crazy in terms of attendance. I miss the times when it only had two host hotels.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
A couple of buddies of mine are coming up from Florida for it but it's not really my scene based on what I saw online.

I'll be at dragon con this weekend. Yay for free tickets. Look out for the Asian kid that looks out of place. You'll know it when you see it lol.

heytred

Neo Member
Sup folks! Didn't even know this thread existed... thought I'd stop in and say hi!

I'm Tyler - I live in Little 5 Points and.... well, yeah. About it.

heytred

Neo Member
Born and raised in Acworth, being 33 I've seen some incredible change around here. Currently living in Dallas, GA!

I grew up in Dallas (graduated from Paulding County Highschool) and thought it's nice... and cheap... thank god I'm not there now.

andthebeatgoeson

City of Decatur announced text to 911. Reading about the many 'gunshots' on community forums, i suspect fuckery ahead.

I wonder if 'gun shots' are the new dog whistle.

rpmurphy

Driving through southern Georgia this weekend, I learned that secessionists still exist. Saw a billboard that said #secede. lol

Remf

Dunwoody here. I was born and raised in brooks/peachtree city area and moved to Korea for some time, but I missed Atlanta so I moved back 16 years ago. I love this place and I don't see myself moving away if I can help it.

Even though the Atlanta area is great, the rest of Georgia? Not so much.. There was a funny analogy I heard comparing Atlanta to the rest of Georgia from the immortal Robin Williams when I saw him at the Fox theater a few years before he died. He said that "Atlanta is a unique and wonderful place, but it's like an island of liberals in a sea of Bubba's." and I'll be damned if that's not the truth. :)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The idea of it just being bubba is shrinking. There is still a sizable old roots Black population as well as a new school sizable Hispanic population.

Bubba is slowly getting out numbered.

I grew up in Dallas (graduated from Paulding County Highschool) and thought it's nice... and cheap... thank god I'm not there now.

Not sure how long you've been out, but there's been a pretty huge population explosion in the county.. Especially in north Paulding where I live now. If I don't leave really early to take my daughter to elementary school, I'm caught in a pretty large back up on Dallas-Acworth Highway...

GulAtiCa

I'm up here in Roswell / Alpharetta. Obviously, not New York or SF type of levels, but I feel like a lot of people I know and interact with are mostly on the liberal side. Hell, I consider myself more liberal these days as I get older.

Jeffrey

im up in roswell/alpharetta/johnscreek area too.

It's mostly liberal, but I still see Fox News up on the tv in the office, and coworker does have a 'Make America Great' hat on his cubicle.

Esiquio

I have tickets to the Zelda Symphony tonight. It's actually right down the street from where I live. Anyone else from GAF going?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Rapper Killer Mike gets a huge tunnel boring machine named for him: Driller Mike:

Cs4nYe1WEAAqfok.jpg

WE DID IT Y'ALL

Breads

Banned
Took me a minute before I realized this wasn't the OT to Donald Glover's new show on FX.

I'm still not entirely convinced.

RBH

So Emory University recently revealed that they want to be annexed into the City of Atlanta. It looks like the reason they want to do so is that it would fast-track the Clifton Road Corridor project that would allow for MARTA rail to extend to Emory and the CDC:

When plans to push MARTA rail deep into north Fulton were set aside, the top priority for rail expansion became the Clifton Road corridor that leads to Emory University and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The university alone has 29,000 employees. Collectively, the bio-med complex is the largest job center in metro Atlanta without ready access either to an interstate or a rail line.

With the July decision by the DeKalb commission, the future of the Clifton Road rail project was placed in limbo. Annex the Emory campus into the city of Atlanta, and the project is back on track — assuming the November referendum passes.

An ancillary line from Emory to MARTA’s Avondale Estate station, also in MARTA plans, would still require a financial commitment from DeKalb. But an immediate rail connection from downtown Atlanta to Emory and the CDC could make the case to the rest of metro Atlanta for expanded rail as a potent tool for economic development.
http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2016/0...-universitys-bid-to-join-the-city-of-atlanta/

Flying into Atlanta with my wife on Oct. 25, and heading back out on the 30th.

Anything big and/or fun happening in town during that stretch of time? Staying at the Hyatt Regency Atlanta, and planning on Ubering to wherever we go.

RBH

CvDcMM0VIAAgP4H.jpg:large

Beer, barbecue and baseball are staples of summer in the South. Terrapin Beer Company and the Atlanta Braves plan to deliver them all through a brand-new taproom and microbrewery at The Battery Atlanta, adjacent to SunTrust Park, the soon-to-be new home of the Braves.

The Terrapin Taproom will be a restaurant operated by Delaware North and offer a rotating tap list that includes many of the signature beers that have elevated and defined Terrapin within the craft beer world since 2002. Fans of the Athens-based brewer can expect to enjoy classic Terrapin brews such as Hopsecutioner, HI-5, RecreationAle and Rye Pale Ale. The Taproom will also feature the world-famous Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q. Named the best barbecue in Atlanta by a host of publications, Fox Bros. will bring its special blend of Texas heat and southern spice to The Terrapin Taproom.

Adjacent to The Taproom will be the ATL Brew Lab, a microbrewery where Terrapin will experiment with different styles of brewing and further collaboration efforts on brand-new beers, including some special baseball-themed brands. Guests will get some of the first sips of Terrapin beers that cannot be found anywhere else.

Both the Terrapin Taproom and the ATL Brew Lab will be located outside the Chop House gate entrance and stay open year-round.

"We might be biased, but for us there's no better way to take in a Braves game than with an ice-cold local beer, and we're thrilled Terrapin gets to be that hometown brew," said Brian "Spike" Buckowski, Terrapin Beer Company co-founder and vice president of brewing development. "Our wheels are spinning for what we'll exclusively brew at the ballpark, and we cannot wait to get in there and start."

The Terrapin Taproom and ATL Brew Lab are the result of a multi-year partnership between the Atlanta Braves and MillerCoors. Following the recent acquisition of Terrapin last month by Tenth and Blake, the craft and imports division of MillerCoors, Terrapin was immediately picked to become the flagship craft brewery for the ballpark because of its strong local ties to the state.

"We wanted to partner with Terrapin because they've been crafting beers right up the road in Athens and have developed a strong southern following, so we knew right away they would be a natural fit with the Braves," said Derek Schiller, Braves president, business. "The Terrapin Taproom will pair Terrapin's freshest and newest beers with some down-home southern barbecue, which is sure to excite all of Braves Country."

Construction will begin in November, and The Terrapin Taproom and ATL Brew Lab are set to open at the start of the 2017 Braves season.
http://braves.mlb.com/atl/ballpark/...id=788372041187467266&adbpl=tw&adbpr=21436663

Kaladin

So the Philips Arena will be closed for almost two years? That's more than a basketball stadium though. Where will Atlanta's biggest concerts go in the meantime?

Edit : The last thing currently scheduled is May 2017 which is a concert for The Weeknd. Unless there are further announcements, looks like it will be closed for 1 year and 4 or 5 months.

Still, that's a lot more than basketball

Armadilo

Banned
I hope to do some stuff here in California, maybe take some community college classes and then move to Atlanta in about two years and go to school for filmmaking and then find some work there

Vanillalite

So the Philips Arena will be closed for almost two years? That's more than a basketball stadium though. Where will Atlanta's biggest concerts go in the meantime?

Edit : The last thing currently scheduled is May 2017 which is a concert for The Weeknd. Unless there are further announcements, looks like it will be closed for 1 year and 4 or 5 months.

Still, that's a lot more than basketball

Supposedly it's just gonna be done during the Hawks offseason.

The Atlanta Dream are gonna play at Mccamish.

Currently estimating just under $200 mill for the renovation.

RBH

img_20161101_192540sgkj7.jpg

img_20161101_192543cgjka.jpg

CwNZdFRWcAAJswj.jpg:large

HawksRendering2_20161101212824582_6489364_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

The Atlanta Hawks and the city of Atlanta announced Tuesday that they have reached an agreement on the terms for a $192.5 million renovation of Philips Arena — the downtown venue where the Hawks play home games.

According to a release sent out by the team, Atlanta mayor Kasim Reed committed to provide $142.5 million toward the renovation process, while the Hawks pledged the remainder. The Hawks also committed to an 18-year lease extension to stay in downtown Atlanta through 2046.

The renovations are scheduled to begin in the summer of 2017 and conclude by the start of the 2018-19 season. Despite the renovation process, the Hawks are still scheduled to play in Philips Arena next season.

The modified arena will feature "new amenities on every level of the building, 360-degree connected concourses at all levels, improved sightlines and state-of-the-art video throughout the building," according to the team.

“When our group became owners almost a year and a half ago, we pledged to work diligently with the City of Atlanta to ensure that the Club remained downtown," Hawks owner Tony Ressler said in a statement.

"We knew that a key part of producing a winning team, providing a superior fan experience and being a civic asset to the City of Atlanta required a renovation of our arena and a meaningful improvement to the downtown area of this city. Today’s announcement with the Mayor is a significant step toward this goal, and we look forward to this exciting transformation that will ensure that we provide the best fan experience possible now and for the next 30 years."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...nta-hawks-philips-arena-renovations/93129048/

Video: http://www.nba.com/hawks/hawks-atlanta-philips-arena-new-renovation#

Vanillalite

Honestly outside of the Luxury boxes it doesn't really look any different for your average fan tbh. Seems like a move to improve the suites to bring in the corporate cash cow.

Had a great time visiting Atlanta last week. Favorite beer destinations were the Porter Beer Bar, Tap on Ponce, and Hop City on Krog St. Fantastic selections at all three.

XenoRaven

I'll have to subscribe to this. I may be going to Hi Rez Expo to see the Smite World Championships in January. This thread makes the city seem amazing. I still hate your airport though.

Had a great time visiting Atlanta last week. Favorite beer destinations were the Porter Beer Bar, Tap on Ponce, and Hop City on Krog St. Fantastic selections at all three.

Glad you liked it, I go to the Porter quite a bit! My brother's old classmate actually owns the place, great beer, great food too. Little 5 Points is a trip, eh? You should have seen it ~15-20 years ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom