• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlanta |OT| The Other Lost City

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

https://www.facebook.com/11Alive/videos/vb.114256800495/10153628804375496/?type=2&theater

xLDvodK.jpg

j0hnnix

Thank God I don't go down that way.. They can stay there and have a nice protest causing traffic. Don't come up to Norcross or Alpharetta.

They aren't reporting on the weather or a shooting. That's all they know how to do.

Hopefully everything stays cool and calm.

Don't forget a restaurant failing a health score or a tree falling somewhere. But yeah, fascinating to watch, and glad to see it mostly peaceful so far. I feel for the truck driver though!

Bearthgar

Banned
I will never support stopping a public roadway.

"there's no such thing as bad publicity" is not relevant here. It makes me think less of their protest and everyone involved. How disappointing.

realwords

"there's no such thing as bad publicity" is not relevant here. It makes me think less of their protest and everyone involved. How disappointing.

I don't think the goal is publicity here, considering the people who would "think less" of them protesting on a public roadway still wouldn't think much of their concerns if they weren't.

Lived in Atlanta (by way of Alpharetta) all my life.

--

My wife is in a weird position cause she's from DFW and she's seeing both her home city and new home on TV for rioting and shit on CNN.

andthebeatgoeson

Revival in City of Decatur? Absolutely amazing food. Simple menu hides the gem. Makes you think simple southern cuisine but you'll love the flavors. The chef needs a lot more credit. Go find this place. South of the square, slightly pricey but worth every cent.

4 stars, bound to love it.

h3ro

Revival in City of Decatur? Absolutely amazing food. Simple menu hides the gem. Makes you think simple southern cuisine but you'll love the flavors. The chef needs a lot more credit. Go find this place. South of the square, slightly pricey but worth every cent.

4 stars, bound to love it.

They have a great cocktail bar as well! Great spot.

Still gotta say my faves in Decatur are Kimbal House, Iberian Pig and of course, Leon's Full Service.

The goal of a protest is to inconvenience people in order to bring attention to your cause. A protest that doesnt cause discomfort is one that is easily ignored.

Furyous

Am I the only person that thought this was the OT for the tv show?

Anywhoo, I've got family out there and have been down there a few times. I'd get into too much trouble and father too many kids so I tend to stay away. I hope yall *edits after realizing this is not the BCT* people are okay out there. What are the dire job areas out there in need of some new talent?

RBH

By the time the first pitch is hurled from the mound of SunTrust Park stadium next spring, the man who lured the Atlanta Braves to Cobb County will be out of office.

Incumbent Chairman Tim Lee lost his reelection bid Tuesday to challenger Mike Boyce, a retired marine colonel, in a runoff seen by many as a litmus test for support of the deal to bring the Atlanta Braves to Cobb.

Boyce beat Lee, winning 64 percent of the vote, with all precincts reporting.

Shortly before 10 p.m. Lee announced to supporters that his deficit at the polls could not be overcome and he had called Mike Boyce to congratulate him.

“I told him we, we would work with him to keep this county going strong,” Lee said, fighting back tears.

The mood on the top floor of The Strand Theater in Marietta, where Lee hosted a viewing party, was resigned. There was much grumbling about the “Trump effect” that propelled the brash businessman to the top of the Republican presidential ticket at the expense of establishment politicians. Many seemed to attribute Lee’s defeat to a general hostility toward incumbents.

“It is what it is,” said Shawn Carlay, a healthcare administrator from West Cobb. “People want change.”

Lee said he had no regrets.

“I think voters are expressing a dissatisfaction with what they believe to be true,” Lee said. He called the Braves deal possibly “the most beneficial economic project for decades to come” for Cobb.

Lee said he was confident he did the right thing for the county, even if it made him unpopular.

Boyce ran a grueling grassroots campaign, reaching over 100,000 voters by phone or at their doorstep.

“Cobb County is a very conservative county and people simply want the respect shown to them that if you’re going to use their money, you have to ask them,” Boyce said.

He added that he would work to make SunTrust Park and the surrounding development a success, but warned he would be taking close look at the agreement between the team and the county.

Ironically, some of the same voters who voted against Lee said they were in favor of the Braves’ move to Cobb, but objected to the way the deal was negotiated in secret and committed some $400 million in public money to build and maintain a new stadium without a popular referendum.

Matt Booth, who works for a real estate research firm and lives within two miles of the new ballpark, said he would have voted for the stadium deal if given a chance.

“Lee likes to spend our tax dollars without asking us … so he doesn’t get my vote,” Booth said. “I’ve seen [Boyce] speak and he’s got his finger on the pulse of what the people of Cobb County really want.”

Regina Nasrallah, a rising college freshman from Marietta, also said she voted for Boyce because of Lee’s handling of the Braves deal.

“It is going to add to commerce in that area but it’s also going to bring a ton of traffic,” she said.

Alan Downey, who works in sales and has lived in Cobb for 49 years, said he voted for Boyce because he wants new blood in the county government.

“He’s been in power too long,” Downey said of Lee.

“A lot of it has to do with the amount of Cobb tax dollars he took to pay for Braves stuff,” Downey said. “He should have asked.”

Lee supporters said they were pleased with the direction of Cobb’s development.

Michael Bell, a contractor and Cobb County resident of 17 years, said he voted for Tim Lee because he’s pleased with the chairman’s leadership.

“You’ve got some people that want things to stay the same and some people who want the county to grow and aren’t afraid of change,” Bell said. “If the county is not growing, it’s not producing jobs and it’s not giving people the opportunity to stay.”

With no Democrat in the race, Boyce should face no opposition in the November election.
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local-...head-to-polls-sound-off-on-stadium-gro/nr5Kf/

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Gonna be visiting downtown tomorrow for a date and just to get in some of the sights (from Central GA). It's about 20 minutes from where I'm staying. Should I bring my car or can I rely on Uber to get around Georgia Tech, to the Aquarium, and maybe Coke world plus a couple parks?

ironcreed

Banned
Never thought I would be heading back down that way, but as life circumstances dictate, I will be living there again by the end of the month. You just never know how things will turn out sometimes.

I'm torn, as part of me has missed all the amenities and the good times I had, but the other part of me never wanted to live in that area again. Oh well, it is what it is. After years of more rural life, it's time to head back to the city. Which will no doubt have some benefits I guess.

Planning my trip to Atlanta at the end of October, and looking for the best beer places for me to try a bunch of local beers. Other than the individual breweries, anyone have recommendations of places that have a bunch of local (and not-so-local) fantastic beers?

Also, of the local breweries, any stand-out ones I need to make sure I hit during my time there? Staying at the Hyatt Regency Atlanta without a rental car, but am willing to walk/Uber/public transport as much as needed.

giga

Planning my trip to Atlanta at the end of October, and looking for the best beer places for me to try a bunch of local beers. Other than the individual breweries, anyone have recommendations of places that have a bunch of local (and not-so-local) fantastic beers?

Also, of the local breweries, any stand-out ones I need to make sure I hit during my time there? Staying at the Hyatt Regency Atlanta without a rental car, but am willing to walk/Uber/public transport as much as needed.
See op.

Google Fiber signups are up for single family homes in parts of Midtown and Virginia-Highlands. Some other areas also have some signups for later.
Map is here.

hiryu64

Google Fiber signups are up for single family homes in parts of Midtown and Virginia-Highlands. Some other areas also have some signups for later.
Map is here.
I got the email saying that they were starting signups, so I immediately called to see if my apartment was available to sign up. It doesn't look like I'm activated yet, but someone's gonna get back to me here within a week to start the signup process so I can just go once it's ready.

Fuck Comcast. They're about to see a metric shitload of cancellations. RIP their customer service staff.

Feeling so #blessed now that our new house is eligible for Google Fiber. My part of Decatur initially wasn't going to get it, but it looks like they shifted the boundaries within the last month or two.

Though in the meantime, Comcast gave us a pretty sweet Xfinity deal equivalent to the Google Fiber 100Mbps internet package. If any of y'all can't get Google Fiber for whatever reason, it may be worth your while to squeeze a deal out of the Comcast/ATT service reps.

Map is here.

I've been checking sporadically since earlier this year, but it still ain't available in my part of town yet. But it's getting close looking at the map. Hopefully we'll be able to get it by next year.

giga

Tech's athletic director left. And he just hired our new basketball coach too. Thanks for the vote of confidence bruh.

ironcreed

Banned
So anybody saying goodbye to the Masquerade this weekend?

I have not been there since about 2003. Sad to hear that the old place is being torn down, but at least they will move to a new home.

At any rate, I doubt I will get to check the new place out, as my plans to move back down that way have pretty much been cancelled at the last minute. Life is a whirlwind sometimes.

Armadilo

Banned
I'm interested in moving in the near future after I finish community college in California, I can't afford to live here so I want to start fresh somewhere where I can.

My dream is to become a Director, so I need to finish my education and heard Atlanta is where its at because of the movies and shows that film in Atlanta.

Good schools ? Affordable place ? Cheap houses to buy , jobs, life

I'm interested in moving in the near future after I finish community college in California, I can't afford to live here so I want to start fresh somewhere where I can.

My dream is to become a Director, so I need to finish my education and heard Atlanta is where its at because of the movies and shows that film in Atlanta.

Good schools ? Affordable place ? Cheap houses to buy , jobs, life

I'd say the better school systems tend to be on the north side, whereas those film jobs are south side.

andthebeatgoeson

Definitely affordable in many areas. The problem is the schools. Want great schools? The price goes up. I'm getting worse per square foot prices in City of Decatur for maybe a worse school, compared to New Jersey. But the limited availability of the area really drives the prices up. But, I'm inside the perimeter, access to good downtown area, marta and a safe place, so there's a premium.

North of the city, you get surburban options, both good and bad to all aspects. New Jersey rush hour traffic without the local benefits of mobility of a city, good schools in certain areas although I would handicap any Georgia school.

Armadilo

Banned
how do you check where it's good to live in Atlanta, was watching a vice documentary of Atlanta and they talked how college kids buy a house because it's cheap but down the street its a bad neighborhood because of gangs and people don't pay attention

RBH

atlanta-stadium.jpg

Atlanta United has surpassed 22,000 season ticket sales for its inaugural 2017 season, club president Darren Eales said Friday. The total, which can grow because there is still six more months before the team plays its first game, is believed to be the most season tickets sold by an expansion club in MLS history.

“There’s been a real sense of Atlanta United being the club of the city,” Eales said.

The total reportedly surpasses the undisclosed season-ticket packages sold by Seattle in its 2009 expansion year, when it averaged 30,897 per game. The New York Times reported that the Sounders sold 22,000 season-ticket packages in 2009. A Seattle spokesman declined to verify that total. Atlanta United’s total is based exclusively on full season-ticket pages and doesn’t include suite sales.

The total also places Atlanta United second only to the Sounders in season-ticket sales for any MLS club, according to Eales.

By comparison, the Hawks averaged 16,832 in general attendance at Philips Arena during the 2016 season. The Braves are averaging 22,904 in general attendance this season at Turner Field.

Atlanta United season tickets are available for purchase only by the approximately 11,000 members of the team’s Founders’ Club, which is still accepting members. Eales said that members who have bought season tickets have averaged 2.6 tickets. Before the sales conversion process started earlier this year, owner Arthur Blank and Eales said that more than 30,000 tickets had been pledged to be purchased.

Ticket prices range from $25-$225 per game. The most expensive seats are in the SunTrust Club at midfield and are $4,050 to see 18 home games. The least expensive tickets are $360. There are eight levels of pricing.

Eales said that eight of the 10 lower club levels have sold out and that more than 3,000 tickets have been purchased in the supporters section behind one of the goals. There are approximately 5,500 seats in the supporters section. Eales said they are going to expand the general admission seating.

“That will be the engine room of the stadium,” Eales said. “It speaks volumes for the level of support of soccer in the city.”

Eales said the club has surpassed the sales benchmarks it had set, and the team has reached a point of seeing how far it can go.

“This is new territory for an MLS club,” he said.

Eales said the sales total is remarkable because some of the aspects that drive purchases haven’t been finalized: The team still hasn’t a hired a coach, the jersey (kit) hasn’t been revealed and the schedule is unknown. The team will play on the road until June, which is when Mercedes-Benz Stadium is scheduled to open.

“For us, it’s a case of keep doing what we are doing,” Eales said. “We are a brand new club, and our Founder’s Club members are all in this together.”
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/atlanta-united-reports-more-than-22000-season-tick/nsJRf/

giga

Newton County blocking the building of a mosque, because fuck religious freedom: http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/23/us/georgia-town-mosque-fight/

Then the word got out: First, details leaked from a county planning meeting, then one local politician opined whether the federal government would resettle Middle Eastern refugees nearby as a result, and soon the "STOP the Mosque" Facebook page appeared with the #‎NoJihadInDixie‬ hashtag. In response to the uproar, Newton County officials last week passed a moratorium on the construction of all houses of worship to further study issues such as the impact of traffic and noise.

…

Ultimately, Shahshahani said, Newton County's moratorium may violate the federal law known as the Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act (RLUIPA), which makes it illegal for local officials to place a "substantial burden" on the religious exercise of houses of worship. Newton County commissioners, who hosted and attended Monday night's meetings, did not return CNN's multiple requests for comment.

"This is not about public safety, this is about prejudice," said NAACP Georgia Executive Director Francys Johnson. "Georgia prejudice is as old as Georgia peaches."

Given the threat of discrimination, civil rights advocacy groups including CAIR and the NAACP last week urged the US Department of Justice to investigate Newton County's actions. Mitchell said Tuesday the Justice Department had agreed to review their request, but that he hoped officials there would reverse the moratorium prior to a potential investigation. In addition, Mitchell announced he would visit Newton County to hold an "Islam 101" meeting in the near future.

TheBez

Hey there Atlanta-Gaf, I plan on flying out to your fair city for One Music Fest from Septermber 9-12. Since I'll be there for a few days I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions on places to visit and restaurants to eat at. If anyone is familiar with this festival too, feel free to chime in. I still need to go book a hotel and rental car too.

Newton County blocking the building of a mosque, because fuck religious freedom: http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/23/us/georgia-town-mosque-fight/

I think I remember Kennesaw doing something similar to this a few years back. Disgusting.

I'm missing my first Dragon-Con in 15 years, but I think I'm glad to be done with it. Too many people, too much traffic, too hot, and too expensive for an event that I just didn't find to be fun anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom