• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan final Episode today 11/4. 85 minutes long

Power Pro

Has the anime gone in a different direction than the manga? cuz from what I've read of the manga ending, this series felt like a mistake for ever getting interested in.

LordOfChaos

Manga readers had us thinking this was a terrible ending. It wasn't bad at all! I actually think more and more this is the only way it could have ended. It's not as "bad/evil ending" as some are making it out to sound either. War always returns, but Eren gave humanity a *chance* to choose that, and his favorite people lived their lives after, and their descendants for hundreds of years after.

I guess the "dark" part of the loop is that when humanity gets stuck in this loop of war again, the spine parasite, the source of all life I guess? Returns, and finds a new host, by a different story but soon to follow the same broad strokes

Pejo

I honestly don't know what's true and what's just memes from the manga, but does Eren as a disembodied head yell to Mikasa that he doesn't want her to get with other dudes after she kills him, then she goes on a world tour with his head and gets married anyways. Then she visits his grave because she supposedly can't move on, even though she killed him without much reason other than other people telling her to?

Last edited:

nicoGec

I honestly don't know what's true and what's just memes from the manga, but does Eren as a disembodied head yell to Mikasa that he doesn't want her to get with other dudes after she kills him, then she goes on a world tour with his head and gets married anyways. Then she visits his grave because she supposedly can't move on, even though she killed him without much reason other than other people telling her to?
That’s a massively wrong take about what happened tho

Pejo

That’s a massively wrong take about what happened tho
I stopped watching at the Historia/Ymir part because the story didn't really grab me anymore, but that's the general sentiment I got when I was reading community posts and stuff. So all of this is what I gathered from people complaining about the end of the manga and then a bunch of memes.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I stopped watching at the Historia/Ymir part because the story didn't really grab me anymore, but that's the general sentiment I got when I was reading community posts and stuff. So all of this is what I gathered from people complaining about the end of the manga and then a bunch of memes.

I stopped during that Crystal shit, when I found out there were secrets hidden within the Wall. After that... went Manga. After seeing everything play out, I don't regret following it, but, damn... it could have been done in a better light.

Sleepwalker

I stopped after the revelation when they leave the island and attack outside it. After they leave I just got bored. I dont think ill finish so would appreciate a recap of the ending. Spoiler tagged of course!

Pejo

I stopped during that Crystal shit, when I found out there were secrets hidden within the Wall. After that... went Manga. After seeing everything play out, I don't regret following it, but, damn... it could have been done in a better light.
It was really fun as a monster story but when it became more about politics and worldviews and power struggles, that was it for me.

I stopped after the revelation when they leave the island and attack outside it. After they leave I just got bored. I dont think ill finish so would appreciate a recap of the ending. Spoiler tagged of course!
Seconding this, I'd like an honest summary, if someone has the time. The AoT wiki feels like it's longer to read that then the manga itself.

So it's really, really, really, really, really over this time? For real?

I've been meaning to watch it once it was really, really, really, really, really finished.

I also thought it was a great ending, even when the original chapter came out. Didn’t realize this final episode was so soon, going to give it a watch

Whitecrow

Banned
Watch it. And let Isayama cook.
God, take some world building, it doesnt hurt... but whatever. You're missing out big time.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Tons of spectacle, like the boss castle at the end of a Final Fantasy game. But that’s not why I liked AoT.

The denouement was set up a bit too obviously to generate any surprise at this point.

Reminiscent of Evangelion toward the end.

Seasons 1-3 were the high point for me.

Madflavor

Gold Member
It's a fun premise and an okay story, that it significantly elevated by the production value of it's anime. Shingeki No Kyojin had the incredible fortune of getting the lightning in a bottle treatment. All the right and most talented people worked on that Anime. Which is awesome, but it’s just a bit cringe to see so many if its fans talk about how it’s peak storytelling. I’ve lost count how many times I’ve seen people say how they think it’s the greatest story they’ve ever seen, which is kind of sad. Go expose yourself to more stories.

Also since it’s being brought up in here, the ending in the Manga was rushed, and there were lines of dialogue that were changed in the Anime. People saying “hurr Manga fans are stupid” don’t know what they’re talking about. The people behind the Anime took a bad ending and turned it into something tolerable.

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

It's a fun premise and an okay story, that it significantly elevated by the production value of it's anime. Shingeki No Kyojin had the incredible fortune of getting the lightning in a bottle treatment. All the right and most talented people worked on that Anime. Which is awesome, but it’s just a bit cringe to see so many if its fans talk about how it’s peak storytelling. I’ve lost count how many times I’ve seen people say how they think it’s the greatest story they’ve ever seen, which is kind of sad. Go expose yourself to more stories.

Also since it’s being brought up in here, the ending in the Manga was rushed, and there were lines of dialogue that were changed in the Anime. People saying “hurr Manga fans are stupid” don’t know what they’re talking about. The people behind the Anime took a bad ending and turned it into something tolerable.
It's still the same ending though. A couple of pieces of dialogue were changed, but it's still the same ending. Not a anime original. Even 139.5 was adapted

Manga readers still overreacted and are now coping

Madflavor

Gold Member
It's still the same ending though. A couple of pieces of dialogue were changed, but it's still the same ending. Not a anime original. Even 139.5 was adapted

Manga readers still overreacted and are now coping

Little changes can have big impacts. Same goes for pacing. The Anime did a much better job with the ending. Also Manga fans aren’t “coping”. Most are happy the Anime did a better job.

Seasons 1-3 were the high point for me.
WIT put themselves on the map with this series through Tetsuro Araki's direction, after they dropped it and MAPPA picked it up? Eh.

HhVAzC6.jpg

So is Incel Eren in the movie? Gonna watch it tonight.

LordOfChaos

Dude the frickin baby, the first guy to see it and think to pass it backwards from the cliff, the crowd following and passing the baby back, but it's seemingly helpless as the titans are walking towards it too. Despite being near their deaths off the cliff, despite there being almost no hope for it, they tried anyways.

In that scene I was thinking, yes, despite all the evil, this is also humanity. Perfect message for a lot of things going on right now.

Last edited:

Coconutt

I stopped keeping track of this shitshow after the final chapter of the manga, did they do an original ending or did they stick with the manga ending?

LordOfChaos

I stopped keeping track of this shitshow after the final chapter of the manga, did they do an original ending or did they stick with the manga ending?

It's the same story but with several scenes extended to be explained better, and the reception is far better with a lot of us anime watchers confused what was so hated. They did change some of the cringe lines I've seen.

Madflavor

Gold Member
It's the same story but with several scenes extended to be explained better, and the reception is far better with a lot of us anime watchers confused what was so hated. They did change some of the cringe lines I've seen.

Execution is so important. The ending as penned by the Manga is pretty shit. But give it beautiful animation, great music, pace it out longer, change a bit of cringe dialogue here and there, and you’ve just elevated a poorly executed ending into something way more palatable.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Im not really into anime I used to watch Robotech as a kid but that's the extent of it but I'm going to watch this it looks good. Can someone give me Tl;dr recap of this series.

Last edited:
Execution is so important. The ending as penned by the Manga is pretty shit. But give it beautiful animation, great music, pace it out longer, change a bit of cringe dialogue here and there, and you’ve just elevated a poorly executed ending into something way more palatable.
This is exactly why I preferred the change to Mappa studio(when I heard about the news). Yes, things were a bit rocky at first but if anyone could pull of what you are describing, it would be them.

Last edited:
Im not really into anime I used to watch Robotech as a kid but that's the extent of it but I'm going to watch this it looks good. Can someone give me Tl;dr recap of this series.
Humanity lives in a giant walled in city with no knowledge of outside and Titans attack them relentlessly to get inside, they had equipment that can help them fight against them and survive. The early portion of the series had a bigger focus on horror/body horror and a survival element as it gets more expansive it becomes more Shounen-like but still stays within the realms of the world building it put into place... Mostly.

Goes from there. I'm not saying everything lol.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Humanity lives in a giant walled in city with no knowledge of outside and Titans attack them relentlessly to get inside, they had equipment that can help them fight against them and survive. The early portion of the series had a bigger focus on horror/body horror and a survival element as it gets more expansive it becomes more Shounen-like but still stays within the realms of the world building it put into place... Mostly.

Goes from there. I'm not saying everything lol.
Thanks!

Just finished the episode - I wish they didn’t have those random music tracks in key moments and just use OT for the series. I also still prefer WIT’s artystyle, suspense buildup compared to Mappa.

Loved it overall though, what a ride it’s been. I thought the anime did a much better job with the ending compared to manga which is why we’re not seeing much complaints I think. If they ever decide to do a sequel series, I’m in.

Go_Ly_Dow

Quite a journey overall and I can't believe season 1 aired over 10 years ago. After season 3 I stopped watching it for several years and picked it back up just about the time the manga finished. Manga readers always made the ending sound like it was the worst ever, but I felt that was pretty comprehensive and well executed.

LordOfChaos

Quite a journey overall and I can't believe season 1 aired over 10 years ago. After season 3 I stopped watching it for several years and picked it back up just about the time the manga finished. Manga readers always made the ending sound like it was the worst ever, but I felt that was pretty comprehensive and well executed.
Can't beleive I managed to mostly dodge spoilers for 10 years

I did get that reddit DM spam about Gabi and Sasha, but nothing major for the end, except for some "head" jokes I think.

LordOfChaos

I'm still confused at the post credits scene

So as I had been kind of expecting, it looked like Eren's plan was to get the Paradis gang after him and draw the spine parasite/maybe source of all life thingy out into the open so that they could end it and end the titan curse. Or maybe it went limp as soon as Ymir saw Mikasa kill the one she loved, whatever the order of operations was there.

But the scene with the adolescent at the end with the dog, it raises so many questions. The re-emergence of the tree with the hole Ymir fell into seems to imply the cycle will continue, someone else will come into contact with the hallucigenia looking mf, and when humans return to these cycles it comes back.

But, how? The titan powers existed because Ymir chose to be in the Paths for 2000 years, spending eternities building each titan in sand, because in a fucked up way she loved King Fritz. But there's no one like that now? The boy or possibly girl with the dog doesn't seem to be being chased down by anything, they're just chilling and found the tree, what would bind them to doing so? I also thought about Eren being new Ymir, but that doesn't seem to fit the narrative of only caring that his friends generation got to live their lives, and then whatever else happened, happened

This, looks exactly like Ymir's tree hole, and the tree is larger than the rest again just like when the hallucigenia thingy was in Ymir's

main-qimg-ee9672e0ba23c86a0e9a90fe87b689e5-lq

GymWolf

Gold Member
Stopped watching the thing after the time jump and the death of potato girl and the wine thing, i don't like how the story was going...

Too bad because the first 3 season were god tier.

Top Bottom