• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan final Episode today 11/4. 85 minutes long

Doom85

Seems like lots of the manga readers are surprised at how well the ending is being taken by the anime only watchers.

Honestly, this might be a shining example of the angry being more vocal than those satisfied regardless of the size of either group. I know the mangaka showed up at the New York Comic Con and during his panel, he brought up how he was aware some were disappointed with how the manga ended and he wanted to apologize to anyone who felt that he had let them down. Pretty much as soon as he finished speaking, someone in the crowd yelled, “we love you!” and the crowd proceeded to give the mangaka a standing ovation.

Now, one might argue that those happy with the ending would be more likely to go to such a panel*, and I agree that while this isn’t conclusive evidence the haters are in the minority, I do think it shows that the haters might not make up the vast majority of those who read it.

*then again, I saw the video of a guy who waited to the very end of the early premiere of Evil Dead Rise at a con, credits and all, to yell about the movie sucking when the cast and crew began taking questions. Bruce Campbell thankfully pointed out staying through a whole movie, including credits, that you hate is just stupid and the hater shut his trap after that.

ShadowNate

It was an ok ending. Fitting with the course that the story took in season(s) 4 and it didn't feel like there was any attempt at a cop out. A little bit too much crying for my taste, but it's not that I did not anticipate that.

I will probably rewatch the series at some point because some events are too mashed up in my head or completely forgotten. It didn't help that they dragged the final season so much.

Whitecrow

Banned
I'm still confused at the post credits scene

So as I had been kind of expecting, it looked like Eren's plan was to get the Paradis gang after him and draw the spine parasite/maybe source of all life thingy out into the open so that they could end it and end the titan curse. Or maybe it went limp as soon as Ymir saw Mikasa kill the one she loved, whatever the order of operations was there.

But the scene with the adolescent at the end with the dog, it raises so many questions. The re-emergence of the tree with the hole Ymir fell into seems to imply the cycle will continue, someone else will come into contact with the hallucigenia looking mf, and when humans return to these cycles it comes back.

But, how? The titan powers existed because Ymir chose to be in the Paths for 2000 years, spending eternities building each titan in sand, because in a fucked up way she loved King Fritz. But there's no one like that now? The boy or possibly girl with the dog doesn't seem to be being chased down by anything, they're just chilling and found the tree, what would bind them to doing so? I also thought about Eren being new Ymir, but that doesn't seem to fit the narrative of only caring that his friends generation got to live their lives, and then whatever else happened, happened

This, looks exactly like Ymir's tree hole, and the tree is larger than the rest again just like when the hallucigenia thingy was in Ymir's

main-qimg-ee9672e0ba23c86a0e9a90fe87b689e5-lq
Hallucigenia gave Ymir the powers. So whoever enters in contect with that thing again, may re-start the whole thing. I guess.

Also, I dont think Eren had a plan besides giving freedom to the ones he loved and end the freedom of those who took theirs. And he knew that for that, humanity should almost be erased.
As it's said, he is a slave of freedom. Literally.

Last edited:

lifa-cobex

I really can't think of how it could have ended whilst keeping the tone for the first few seasons.
It started off as a survival series that then injected more and more mystery elements as it went on.
By the end. It's just pure war and politics.

From the first season. I didn't really question what was beyond the wall as it could have been absolutely anything. Angles, Demons, Aliens etc etc.
The real highlights of unveiling simple things like a coffee grinder or a needle injection which were the highlights of the story to me. Just those little nuggets of clues.
Plus watched the ending credits to those first few seasons are real god dame spoilers. Not that you would know at the time.

I enjoyed the element of determining freedom for Eran as he kind of fucked himself. Having visions of the future that he decided to be chained too.
But once the rumbling happened, the story was pretty much done. Either they stop him or not.
Dragging it out for that long was the real buzz killer for me. It seemed needless to just add that cherry on the cake.
I liked the credits sequence of Paradis building itself up but eventually being bombed to shit.

But I'm still not a fan of the animation after the first animation studio.
I don't know the story behind the change but the first studio was vastly better suited.

MayauMiao

Quite the ending. Mikasa kising Eren's severed head is kinda creepy "happy" ending though.

I hope we get more AoT side stories in the future. I really like the manga Attack on Titan: Before The Fall.

LordOfChaos

Quite the ending. Mikasa kising Eren's severed head is kinda creepy "happy" ending though.

I hope we get more AoT side stories in the future. I really like the manga Attack on Titan: Before The Fall.

The great Marley-Titan war where they stole 9 shifters could be amazing on screen

K' Dash

This has been shit for years now, I'm still watching it cause I needed to see it end, but what a shit show... ugh

LordOfChaos

Hallucigenia gave Ymir the powers. So whoever enters in contect with that thing again, may re-start the whole thing. I guess.

Also, I dont think Eren had a plan besides giving freedom to the ones he loved and end the freedom of those who took theirs. And he knew that for that, humanity should almost be erased.
As it's said, he is a slave of freedom. Literally.

Ah right, I guess she only had to build titans after her powers were split into her descendants

But still the kid at the end doesn't seem to be on the run, just taking a leisurely stroll with their dog, so the same stressors don't exist. I wonder if this time the founding titan power would be used more for rebuilding, but then again a central theme is war never goes away.

Madflavor

Gold Member

It's pretty cringe honestly. In the end, our leads for AoT were a raging sociopathic monster, and a girl who couldn't stop simping for him, to the point where even after he killed most of the planet, she decapitates him, kisses his severed head, and keeps crying about him years later.

Again I think Attack on Titan is a story that was hard carried by the animation team and Sawano's music.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

It's pretty cringe honestly. In the end, our leads for AoT were a raging sociopathic monster, and a girl who couldn't stop simping for him, to the point where even after he killed most of the planet, she decapitates him, kisses his severed head, and keeps crying about him years later.

Again I think Attack on Titan is a story that was hard carried by the animation team and Sawano's music.
Agree that the production values and music went a long way, but will give the author credit too for fleshing out a pretty sizeable cast, as well as bringing about enough mystery throughout the story to keep many people hooked. Overall I thought it was a pretty well rounded story that was just about the right length.

Edit: will also add the one of the core themes of the inevitability of human conflict cut through for me personally when looking at the world right now. The tree enduring throughout the generations also was a simple but beautiful touch.

Last edited:

lifa-cobex

The more I've sat on the ending and thought about it. I actually don't like the ending.
I don't like that Eren was faking it. The whole "I wanted you guys to look like heroes So I killed off 80% of the human race. I was only faking being nihilistic."
Seems way out of character.
Eren was always single minded and head strong.
I would have preferred the "I wiped your memory ending thing" but instead him just saying it was a difference of ideals. No hard feelings bro.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
I thought the finale was pretty fantastic. The battle itself was great. Everyone got a cool moment to shine, even that bitch Gaby. The intellectual moment between Armin and Eren was decently well done. There is some creepiness and weirdness, but I was fine with it.

The epilogue was pretty good too. I liked it. Solid stuff.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yep and both are great. Just finished second movie.

After 10 years... This story really was amazingly done, there are very few stories in anime (and in general) that were this well realised.
The first half is much better.

Where do i find the movies in europe? crunchyroll?

How are the movies called exactly?

Thanks.

Edit: ok they are on crunchyroll and i have a 14 days free trial, noice.

Last edited:

Bojji

The first half is much better.

Where do i find the movies in europe? crunchyroll?

How are the movies called exactly?

Thanks.

Edit: ok they are on crunchyroll and i have a 14 days free trial, noice.

I kinda agree but this show didn't collapse after "major reveal" like many others, and after weak middle part it got better and better near the end.

Crunchyroll is quite great but it sucks that it doesn't have native webOS app and I have to use PS5 for it.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
I get the feeling I would have liked the Final season much more if it didn't take 3 years to tell. FS Part 1 especially was a drag, since i didn't realize it was going to continue for two more years. Towards the end, as it was still building up new characters and plot threads, I thought "is this really how it's going to end? There are like 3 episodes left. No way they can wrap up in 3 episodes".

Fortunately it went on much longer, and was pretty satisfying. Still, the show took a pretty dark turn. I liked how hopeful early seasons were. It sort of took it back in the finale, but man was it dire.

Top Bottom