• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 2 |OT| NO MANGA TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sotha_Sil

Titan's are extremely physically reminiscent of their human form. Is honestly not that hard to tell, specially in SPOILER's case.

They've been pretty blatant about who is a Titan well before the they officially show it off. I did read the manga so I'm coming in with a biased look, but there have been a lot of big and in no way subtle hints (and that goes back to the second half of season 1).

The "reveal" in this episode should have been pretty obvious.
It will be fun to see the titan in animation
.... looked hilarious in the preview for next week.

If manga readers are lurking in this thread and want to defend us anime-only folks from spoilers, maybe the best thing to do is just assume posters are speculating and respond accordingly, unless they're very clearly dropping manga spoilers. For effective damage control, you could even intentionally cast doubt on theories you know to be true, although I feel like that might be frowned upon.

I don't mind spoilers too much myself, and I already read either spoilers or speculation (can't even remember which) about the particular point on the last page. Just an idle thought.

Zoe

This is why it's important to leave speculation out of spoiler blocks. Once you mark it as a spoiler, people have no idea whether you know what you're talking about or if it's all conjecture.

DarkKyo

If manga readers are lurking in this thread and want to defend us anime-only folks from spoilers, maybe the best thing to do is just assume posters are speculating and respond accordingly, unless they're very clearly dropping manga spoilers. For effective damage control, you could even intentionally cast doubt on theories you know to be true, although I feel like that might be frowned upon.

Manga reader here. Figured I'd chime in about this and tell everyone to relax and point out that he's probably just speculating. We know that more titan shifters are hiding among the soldiers so maybe in Brakke's mind he's already convinced himself that the character he mentioned is X titan. Tbh Annie looked like the female titan to some extent, so it's natural to see some comparison between the character he mentioned and X titan. Truth is we don't know if Brakke knows anything or if he's just speculating, but it would be nice in the future if he said "my theory is" and then spoiler text it just in case there is any validity to his theory.

Anyways please don't freak out, there is some evidence in season 1 and 2 so far that said character is suspicious, but that could also be a red herring. Let's just keep watching and find out for ourselves!

Yonafunu

The problem is when people start assuming something's a spoiler. Looking at Brakke's previous posts he hasn't read the manga. He's speculating.

This is why it's important to leave speculation out of spoiler blocks. Once you mark it as a spoiler, people have no idea whether you know what you're talking about or if it's all conjecture.

On the topic of speculation.

What are the theories on the baby titans? Kids transformed into titans? Birthing titans created by the gorilla/ape titan?

I'm not sure how I feel about having a class of humans who can transform at will into Titans simply because I feel that it limits the storytelling; there is no way the likes of Ymir and Eren will forever be loyal to humans; there will be a rift at some point. It's kinda predictable.

DarkKyo

I'm not sure how I feel about having a class of humans who can transform at will into Titans simply because I feel that it limits the storytelling; there is no way the likes of Ymir and Eren will forever be loyal to humans; there will be a rift at some point. It's kinda predictable.

From what we've seen so far I'd almost say it's the opposite for Ymir. We know Eren was raised among humans within the walls so his loyalty to his friends and people is pretty unquestionable. However for Ymir it's pretty clear she's been hiding her transformation, meaning she could have been fighting for another faction but has been won over by humanity(due to her friendship with Christa and wanting to protect her). So I don't think she was loyal to the humans to start with, but has since had a change of heart. The fact that she's outing herself means that, to the other soldiers, she can't go back to being an incognito titan shifter lurking among her enemies(like Annie was). If she chooses to remain among the soldiers like Eren does it means she will be watched and scrutinized hard from here on out.

Why would they suddenly switch allegiance? Seems they are both firmly in the help humans group. I guess that could change, but I imagine any reasons for that change would have to be pretty huge.

Kinyou

Im not sure how loyal Ymir is to begin with. She could have jumped in a lot earlier, possibly saving the other fighters. She also didn't act when Reiner almost died. Her loyalty seems exclusive to Christa.

DarkKyo

Why would they suddenly switch allegiance? Seems they are both firmly in the help humans group. I guess that could change, but I imagine any reasons for that change would have to be pretty huge.

Why was Ymir hiding her long-held ability to transform though? She clearly only brought it out now because of their incredibly dire situation.

Why was Ymir hiding her long-held ability to transform though? She clearly only brought it out now because of their incredibly dire situation.

Could be she heard of Eren and thought they'd accept her? Or maybe she figured they'll all be dead soon anyway, so what difference does it make if they know she's a titan, she can die knowing she took out a few titans and died for something.

Although I do like the idea of their being factions of Titans and each faction having a crazy scientist who is creating titan serum. Maybe the big titan was once a titan and decided to take the next step.

Yonafunu

Because everyone in this world hates Titans? Why the hell would anyone with Titan power want to reveal themselves to that? The only reason they haven't killed Eren is because there's people willing to vouch for him. Ymir is just a single stand-offish, shady-ass woman with only Christa as a real(?) friend. I don't think her not revealing her powers says anything about her allegiance.

ElyrionX

Because everyone in this world hates Titans? Why the hell would anyone with Titan power want to reveal themselves to that? The only reason they haven't killed Eren is because there's people willing to vouch for him. Ymir is just a single stand-offish, shady-ass woman with only Christa as a real(?) friend. I don't think her not revealing her powers says anything about her allegiance.

If they're willing to fight for humans, it seems pretty short sighted not to position themselves as supersoldiers that the humans can fight around.

rizzo0

Ok I missed the understanding of reading the tuna fish can or whatever that was. That made it seem like Ymir knew how to read and this guy didn't? Like she could read Latin and he couldn't? That still confused me sorry

Ok I missed the understanding of reading the tuna fish can or whatever that was. That made it seem like Ymir knew how to read and this guy didn't? Like she could read Latin and he couldn't? That still confused me sorry

She seemed startled when Reiner realised she could read it. He then realised that it suggested something about her...perhaps he recognises the significance, and has realised that she is a Titan? They were interrupted so who knows. Whatever it was, he didn't seem to bring it up again.

Kazuhira

Yeah,she can read some extinct language by the look of it and started to freak out when Reiner noticed it.

Giolon

The can was written in a foreign language that at least Reiner didn't know how to read. I think it was implied earlier that other supplies at the castle were written in a language the other scouts couldn't understand as well.

If Ymir is the only one that knows how to read the language, that's suspicious. Especially considering this castle ruins is inside the 2nd wall so people have been able to access it for at least 100 years titan free.

It implies that the supplies that were there probably came from somewhere else, possibly somewhere foreign (and it was noted the castle was used recently, "possibly by bandits"), or are very old, such that no one can read it anymore. Either way, that places a big question mark on Ymir. We've seen no indications of multiple languages being spoken/written inside the walls thus far.

The can was written in a foreign language that at least Reiner didn't know how to read. I think it was implied earlier that other supplies at the castle were written in a language the other scouts couldn't understand as well.

If Ymir is the only one that knows how to read the language, that's suspicious. Especially considering this castle ruins is inside the 2nd wall so people have been able to access it for at least 100 years titan free.

It implies that the supplies that were there probably came from somewhere else, possibly somewhere foreign (and it was noted the castle was used recently, "possibly by bandits"), or are very old, such that no one can read it anymore. Either way, that places a big question mark on Ymir. We've seen no indications of multiple languages being spoken/written inside the walls thus far.

The only thing that is related to different culture/language we've seen is that Mikasa and her mother are oriental. Judging from the title of s1e1 "To you, in 2000 years," they wanted to position this series as a fictitious/forgotten part of our (real life) history.

If that's true, then I guess it's not too surprising there is a different language, but it casts Ymir in a very suspicious light, and that Reiner seems to know what that implies.

Speaking of episode titles, I realized they dropped the secondary title (ex. The Fall of Shiganshina, Part 1) stuff in season 2. Weird.

Brakke

Banned
Wait what? He looks exactly like the Titan tho? Thought it was obvious after Annie Titan looked like Annie Human. I didn't the read the manga or anything so I don't know. Sorry for freaking y'all out.

Brakke

Banned
Like last time I participated in here I couldn't even remember that Titans aren't active at night. I obviously don't know the Secret Truths of Attack on Titan.

Wait what? He looks exactly like the Titan tho? Thought it was obvious after Annie Titan looked like Annie Human. I didn't the read the manga or anything so I don't know. Sorry for freaking y'all out.
To be fair it wasn't immediately clear that you were working on your own assumption. After all your post wasn't even really about the identity. It was more about why something didn't happen assuming your guess was correct, but the way it was stated made it sound like you knew for sure. I get that people might seem overly sensitive in here, but I think it's justified considering how many times people have been spoiled in the first thread. It's especially difficult when you have manga-readers in the thread as well (not blaming anyone in particular and not saying manga-readers shouldn't be allowed to post, but it does make people a little antsy when someone prefaces their post with "as a manga-reader...").

Anyway I'm glad it was cleared up and hopefully everyone is okay now. :]

Brakke

Banned
If Ymir Titan wants to eat me, honestly I will accept this punishment gladly. Show's really been lacking on that good good vore content I crave since Eren's transformation inside that Titan belly.

I would not go too hard on any anime speculation "spoilers".

As a manga reader, I'll say none of this stuff in thread has anything on the reveals this season alone may have, depending on how far it gets.

You have no idea how far this actually goes, don't worry.

theWB27

Like last time I participated in here I couldn't even remember that Titans aren't active at night. I obviously don't know the Secret Truths of Attack on Titan.

Didn't know that at all until it was pointed out. This was a great episode too. Ymir's transformation got me hype. Love to see a Titan wreck ish.

Damn, Brakke. Damn..

Anyways, this episode was MUCH better than the last two. Ymir is awesome. I love both sides of her character: the harsh, cold and tempered side of her, and the side of her that really cares about someone other than herself.

Xbro

I would not go too hard on any anime speculation "spoilers".

As a manga reader, I'll say none of this stuff in thread has anything on the reveals this season alone may have, depending on how far it gets.

You have no idea how far this actually goes, don't worry.

I think it's clear they are going til the end of the current arc.

DarkKyo

You fucking spoilerphobes are your own worst enemy. I swear to God.

Let's not have this discussion in here, please. There's a recent thread where you can take that attitude. If people don't want things spoiled then just respect that wish and take the spoiler talk to more appropriate threads.

AoT is a series all about payoffs. Nobody wants to know the ending when the show is just now meticulously laying out the path to it.

Narag

Let's not have this discussion in here, please. There's a recent thread where you can take that attitude. If people don't want things spoiled then just respect that wish and take the spoiler talk to more appropriate threads.

AoT is a series all about payoffs. Nobody wants to know the ending when the show is just now meticulously laying out the path to it.

It's less those watching for the first time and more that speculation is so quickly confirmed as potential spoilers by those in the know that they'll fall over themselves in condemnation in order to protect the former group regardless of how much they reveal as correct in doing so.

No one is posting spoilers, though. Brakke hasn't read the manga and he was just posting speculation. And really, like the dude just a few posts above said, everyone is calling attention to it and thus potentially spoiling others.

Spoilerphobes are so quick to call something out that they end up ruining it for other people. Either PM the poster about it so they can make the changes on the sly or notify a mod and they can do it. Posting THAT'S A SPOILER isn't the way to go about it.

It's all moot because Brakke hasn't read the manga

LotusHD

Banned
This why as a manga reader, when I'm in anime threads I just generally read in silence lol, I don't want no trouble

Brakke

Banned
Page 13? What happened? **sees post**

Goddamn junior member =/

Hey. That's Member Junior, not Junior Member.

This why as a manga reader, when I'm in anime threads I just generally read in silence lol, I don't want no trouble

Yeah I used to lurk the Game of Thrones no-book thread out of curiosity but in that case the material started diverging so the lines got real messy as the show started confirming book-reader speculation and stuff.

Now GAF has "no-book show" thread, "show and book" thread, and "everything but probably don't talk about the show here anyway" thread.

Brakke

Banned
To get back on topic a little, I really liked the detail of the tower stairs being flanked by that cannon wheel track. I don't know about actual castles but I assume that's a real thing? When I saw it here I thought "lol that's dumb" but then immediately realized it was actually a smart thing to build into a castle 'cuz eff carrying munitions up several stories.

It's cool when this show takes military prodcedure seriously. Like the bit where the Scouts went out on a recon mission and set up that flare signal system.

I think it's clear they are going til the end of the current arc.

No doubt, though there is a question of exactly where they choose to end the season. There's a few places where I could see a cliffhanger occurring, and it is only 12 episodes after all.

To get back on topic a little, I really liked the detail of the tower stairs being flanked by that cannon wheel track. I don't know about actual castles but I assume that's a real thing? When I saw it here I thought "lol that's dumb" but then immediately realized it was actually a smart thing to build into a castle 'cuz eff carrying munitions up several stories.

There's a cool moment in the commercial break bumper. They basically explain they don't know the origins of the castle, though it's clearly old. It mentions the big Cannons, then make the curious comment that they weren't sure what the Cannons were meant for....

what else would Cannons be used for than killing Titans?

DarkKyo

Spoilerphobes are so quick to call something out that they end up ruining it for other people. Either PM the poster about it so they can make the changes on the sly or notify a mod and they can do it. Posting THAT'S A SPOILER isn't the way to go about it.
It sounded to me like all the people saying THAT'S A SPOILER don't know if it was a spoiler or not, they just assumed it was because he implied a theory was fact. Most of the people calling him out for spoiling something sounded upset that they had just been spoiled, so I'm fairly certain the outrage was from people who haven't touched the manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom