• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 2 |OT| NO MANGA TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geist-

It makes it a lot harder to watch this when awesome characters are almost guaranteed to die if they're not the rookie squad or Levi.

Dali

It makes it a lot harder to watch this when awesome characters are almost guaranteed to die if they're not the rookie squad or Levi.
Levi is in a group not getting any attention right now. I'm sure once they start advancing the story of the group he's with he'll catch it just like everyone else.

HardRojo

Nanaba's death weirded me out lol, especially when she went into abusive father mode. I'm enjoying this season so far, the sense of mystery and knowing things are happening between characters, yet having no idea what it is. I like the way they make it obvious there's something else going on behind the scenes but they won't let us know just yet.
Christa has to be someone important and related to the Titans, she even has "Christ" in her name lol so that might mean something.

Can someone summarize these factions theories? I feel a little lost with the story.

There's normal people, titans, the church weirdos, secret titans who seem to have different goals, etc

1) Eren, Mikasa, Armin, Jean, Sasha, Connie and Survey Corps Trio (Erwin, Levi, Hanji): trying to uncover the truth, the protagonists

2) XL/Colossal Titan, Armored Titan: Trying to break the wall and infiltrate

3) Church + "Higher Will": knows about the wall being made of titans, but does not want to say anything. Asked to keep track of Krista, who has a "special" family background.
Might be related to the police, but the police and church are not entirely aligned, as shown in trial mid-Season 1. Police want to shut down the gates, but Church says "don't touch the wall".

---

Suspicious people - make sure you're all caught up on the OVAs and all anime episodes (up to s2e4). **I'm an anime-only watcher myself, but I'll tag it as spoilers anyways.
4) Annie/ Female Titan - frozen, but most likely 2). Armin speculated that she might be the one gathering titans into the wall after 2) smashed parts of the wall.

5) Reiner and by extension Bertoit are suspicious, and might be related to 4) but not the same faction as Ymir, so 2) or sth else.

6) Ymir -- We dont really know, but she can transform, and her name is mentioned in the Ilse's Diary OVA (took place within the wall), so either related to 3) or Eren's dad or an unknown faction

7) Beast titan -- not sure. He doesn't know about the 3D maneuver, but can speak, so might be 2). Can control titans like Female Titan (well, summon/lure large amounts of normal titans), but with more precision (like stop them from moving/eating or send(?) a large crowd to attack one location). Last time we see sentient/speaking titans were in Ilse's Diary and in Connie's town and in the start of s2e4

8) Eren's dad: he knows how to turn people Eren into titans, so he must've have some backing, so 3) or related to 7)?. Doesn't seem to know about 2)'s attack in advance (his wife died, and he was crying while giving Eren an injection), so not part of that. Has an underground study full of goodies (or so he says) which Eren has the key for.

Xbro

1) Eren, Mikasa, Armin, Jean, Sasha, Connie and Survey Corps Trio (Erwin, Levi, Hanji): trying to uncover the truth, the protagonists

2) XL/Colossal Titan, Armored Titan: Trying to break the wall and infiltrate

3) Church + "Higher Will": knows about the wall being made of titans, but does not want to say anything. Asked to keep track of Krista, who has a "special" family background.
Might be related to the police, but the police and church are not entirely aligned, as shown in trial mid-Season 1. Police want to shut down the gates, but Church says "don't touch the wall".

---

Suspicious people - make sure you're all caught up on the OVAs and all anime episodes (up to s2e4).
4) Annie/ Female Titan - frozen, but most likely 2). Armin speculated that she might be the one gathering titans into the wall after 2) smashed parts of the wall.

5) Reiner and by extension Bertoit are suspicious, and might be related to 4) not the same faction as Ymir, so 2) or sth else.

6) Ymir -- We dont really know, but she can transform, and her name is mentioned in the Ilse's Diary OVA (took place within the wall), so either related to 3) or Eren's dad or an unknown faction

7) Beast titan -- not sure. He doesn't know about the 3D maneuver, but can speak, so might be 2). Can control titans like Female Titan, but with more precision. Last time we see sentient/speaking titans were in Ilse's Diary and in Connie's town and in the start of s2e4

8) Eren's dad: he knows how to turn people Eren into titans, so he must've have some backing, so 3) or related to 7)?. Doesn't seem to know about 2)'s attack in advance (his wife died, and he was crying while giving Eren an injection), so not part of that. Has an underground study full of goodies (or so he says) which Eren has the key for.

Was
Annie able to control other titans?
I can't remember.

Was
Annie able to control other titans?
I can't remember.

Not exactly
control, but her scream was able to "summon" crowds of titans to eat her in the forest. She was also able to bring crowds of titans with her to destroy the Survey Corps' long range formation. Technically Eren also has that tendency to lure titans to attack him, but that's more or less unintentional (ex. when closing off Wall Rose and when he first transformed).

It was a bit misleading, I'll clarify it.

LordOfChaos

Caught me off guard, I luled.

4TIorLI.png

He did say to Ymir that he wasn't interested in women? Maybe it was more of a "fuck off Ymir, yeah I'm not interested in you"?

Or maybe Krista turns gay men into at least Kristasexuals.

This episode was also fairly enjoyable. This series is cruel about killing off cool non-main characters, though.

Also, (Christa/Krista)/Ymir is OTP. And yes, Christa's name can also be spelled 'Krista', amongst other spellings, it's one of those anime translation issues where a character's name can have multiple valid spellings.

Just a heads up but the English Dub of this is airing on Toonami/Adult Swim RIGHT NOW!

Sheesh, Funi is quick on the draw for this one.

Brakke

Banned
lol sure, just go ahead and throw an enigmatic secret language on top of everything, why not

I like that this episode seriously acknowledged sex and romance. Besides Mikasa's standing water for Eren, love and sex don't get much touched on.

Also that poor alcoholic guy. I love when this show goes seriously pessimistic. Taking dude's tiniest solace from him...

Mediking

lol sure, just go ahead and throw an enigmatic secret language on top of everything, why not

I like that this episode seriously acknowledged sex and romance. Besides Mikasa's standing water for Eren, love and sex don't get much touched on.

Also that poor alcoholic guy. I love when this show goes seriously pessimistic. Taking dude's tiniest solace from him...

Blonde kid bravely saves Alcoholic who gets killed and also gets himself killed.

Brakke

Banned
"Oh shit Titans!" "Whew ok we got them." "EXCEPT HERE COME TWICE AS MANY??"

"Oh yeah I got that one!" "Oops but it was too late something got inside."

"Uhh I'm woozy from a head injury I guess I die now." "Oh hey wait I'm saved!" "Oh but my comrade is dead."

"Hey at least I get a drink before I die!" "Oops nah."

Poor guy rode a damn rollercoaster that night, died of whiplash.

kirblar

He did say to Ymir that he wasn't interested in women? Maybe it was more of a "fuck off Ymir, yeah I'm not interested in you"?

Or maybe Krista turns gay men into at least Kristasexuals.
Ymir was projecting (she's got an unrequited crush on Christa) and Reinhardt flipped the gay joke about him and Bertholdt back onto her.

Speaking of gay things, Nanaba has got to be a homage to Sailor Uranus design-wise, which is why I think she sticks out despite her limited screen-time.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
This episode is crazy. Felt bad for the scout members who died. Darn rookies always getting the skilled seniors killed :(

janoDX

Another faithful adaptation to the manga, I just love how much WIT Studio is busting their asses to bring us the best of the best.

The hell was that about with Nanaba in the end?

If humans rest in the nape, how is it one has never been discovered after a Titan has been killed?

The hell was that about with Nanaba in the end?

If humans rest in the nape, how is it one has never been discovered after a Titan has been killed?

it disintegrates almost immediately i think. just like how their blood evaporates

We don't know that if all titans have humans in them, or if humans only reside in them only if they shifted (like Eren and Annie). Notice when soldiers cut out their nape, usually a chunk of meat flies out, so I guess the latter is more plausible. We don't know how titans are formed, so we're not sure.

Brakke

Banned
~Speculation~
Real question is why didn't Reiner transform into Armor Titan when his arm got bit? The fact that Ymir could read the can but his Titan-ass couldn't means there are multiple humans-who-can-transform factions?

Does Reiner even know he's the Armor Titan?

Wasn't it a thing where everyone was worried about Eren spending too much time in Titan form he'd eventually lose a distinct human form and just get totally integrated into the Titan? I remember a scene where after digging Eren out of his Titan his cheeks had gross flesh tendrils hanging off them that someone had to cut away.

I figured the nape-slashes were killing the residual nerve bundle or whatever left behind when their pilots got subsumed by the Titan. But also there's clearly (?) multiple classes of Titan maybe they play by different rules?

J@hranimo

Banned
Another faithful adaptation to the manga, I just love how much WIT Studio is busting their asses to bring us the best of the best.

Honestly I'd say so far they're doing this part of the manga better. All the deaths......literally had me like "noooooo!" with how brutal they are.

If they keep this up through the entire 12 episodes than one cour decision redeemed imo.

You're a Titan, and you're a Titan and you're a Titan.

So many human x Titans showing up now huh? With that gorilla Titan leading the worker Titans.

Titan's are extremely physically reminiscent of their human form. Is honestly not that hard to tell, specially in SPOILER's case.

Real question is why didn't Reiner transform into Armor Titan when his arm got bit? The fact that Ymir could read the can but his Titan-ass couldn't means there are multiple humans-who-can-transform factions?

Does Reiner
even know he's the Armor Titan?

Wasn't it a thing where everyone was worried about Eren spending too much time in Titan form he'd eventually lose a distinct human form and just get totally integrated into the Titan? I remember a scene where after digging Eren out of his Titan his cheeks had gross flesh tendrils hanging off them that someone had to cut away.

I figured the nape-slashes were killing the residual nerve bundle or whatever left behind when their pilots got subsumed by the Titan. But also there's clearly (?) multiple classes of Titan maybe they play by different rules?

When is he going to be banned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom