• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 2 |OT| NO MANGA TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.

turmoil

Banned
Yikes. If the pace is much like Naruto, each episode could be roughly 2-3 manga chapters each? It'll probably be caught up? I think episode 5 or 6 comes out in a couple days?

Being monthly every ch is 40-60 pages instead of 15-20 like the weekly ones. Next episode is Saturday.

kirblar

Oh yeah, that's the plan. Once this season is over, I'll start on the manga from where the anime took off. They couldn't do a shiitake ton of filler like Naruto? Maybe there just isn't a lot of lore like the Naruto to flesh out the AOT world?
It's more that it's a very heavily serialized series w/ a ton of emphasis on mystery, so there's not much room for it outside of transitional and bonus scenes. S1 only had one filler ep - the one with the bodies being used to distract the titans. (But it was still a really good ep!)

HardRojo

Welcome to mod voice:

Speculation and guessing are not spoilers.

I repeat, speculation and guessing are not spoilers. It doesn't matter if you're right. You do not and should not have to spoiler tag your guesses as to future directions of a show. Multiple other show threads get this, but somehow we've ended up in hellish territory here.

If you're a manga reader, don't post spoilers. If you're a manga reader, don't flip out over speculation, because that makes people think it's a spoiler.

Get it together, or the bans will begin in earnest. If you can't keep your thread in line, I will.

The rest of you, thank you for keeping the discussion moving. Enjoy the show.

Thank you!

It also helps when people use non-declarative language when speculating instead of treating their speculations as fact.

This is it. This is all that was needed. "I think that..."
If that post had started with "I think that..." then nothing else would've happened. It's been the single, only incidence of spoiler?/non-spoiler? in the thread.
There would've been no overreactions, derailings, arguments, mod intervention or banning had we had a "I think that..."

The speculation was presented as fact which is obviously dangerous as manga readers know exactly what those facts are.
So somebody fucked up speculation and people reacted accordingly, it's the overreactions to what were logical reactions which have gotten stupid.
We're not in 'hellish territory' the thread is fine. Nobody needs to leave, we just need to drop it.

Erigu

You mean the heading back half of episode 22 right? Where Levi had to throw Petra's body off? It was to off load the cart so the horses can run faster.
Yeah, that's what they went with in the end, but the initial idea for that filler really was that the dead bodies would be used to distract the titans. Isayama stepped in and pointed out that didn't work, as titans wouldn't go after corpses, so they changed it.

Come to think of it, there would be at least a couple of instances where titans eat people who look like they should already be dead, in the TV series: Eren's mother and, more recently, Gelgar (sp?). In both instances, the original comics doesn't kill them prematurely.

DarkKyo

Im not 100% sure how it works but wasn't Eren able to grow back his tooth in season 1 without turning into a titan? So maybe they heal in human form too.

Yeah, I think as long as they aren't exhausted or have used their titan form recently they can heal faster in human form if I remember right. Not sure if that only applies to minor things though(like missing teeth), for some reason I can't imagine Eren growing his arm/leg back outside of shifting into titan mode, but maybe I'm wrong on that. Either way there's no way Ymir can heal up in the exhausted state she's in.

Cuburt

Funny video I found summing up the first season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXCaPR0exE8

Haven't seen it posted here. Don't read the comments, unless you want manga spoilers.

AoT is one of those things where you can't risk googling ANYTHING from the show because everything is a spoiler. Between character deaths and titan mysteries most google search results about pretty much anything or anyone related to the story will contain spoilers.

Yeah I found this out the hard way.

Fortunately, I also found out that the AoT wiki has a way to filter the articles so you can only view anime related articles and not accidentally be spoiled about manga stuff. Pretty much everywhere else I look is a spoiler minefield.

Xbro

Why only so few? It's been years since the first season and they can't animate more of the manga, there's more than enough content for a longer season.

Seems like they couldn't drag this arc out to 24 episodes, and couldn't shorten the next arc to 12 episodes so they went with a compromise. 12 episodes for this arc as season 2, likely 24 episodes for the next one as season 3

turmoil

Banned
Honestly every week I'm a little more fond of the idea of 12 episodes per year until they adapt everything* instead of years between long seasons.

Though anime only people rightfully will be mad for the short season after such a long wait lol

*not confirmed but speculated

Yoda

Why only so few? It's been years since the first season and they can't animate more of the manga, there's more than enough content for a longer season.

Poor contracting and an anime industry facing talent issues in Japan. The reason this season was lobbed in half has nothing to do with A) lack of source material (all the material for Season 2 is years old). B) Lack of demand for the show. Season one had a some added fluff to make it 25 episodes. On the bright side, there won't be extra fluff @ all with the limited episode count. Season one only had a little, but compared to the source material I found it unnecessary.

Honestly every week I'm a little more fond of the idea of 12 episodes per year until they adapt everything* instead of years between long seasons.

Though anime only people rightfully will be mad for the short season after such a long wait lol

*not confirmed but speculated

From what I understand, there will still be a 2 years gap (aka no annual).

Attack on titan does have a lot of slow moments that is usually followed with a fairly lengthy action scene. There's good content to follow, just hope they pace the episodes well enough. This episode was fine but the long gap between seasons meant some people I knew totally forgot about Ymir in season 1.

I was in the same boat, I forgot Ymir was in season 1. Don't get me wrong, I liked the background on her, but they could have thrown us something, anything, about when she discovered she was a Titan and why she went from eating humans to saving them.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think my main problem with the pacing is the question-to-answer ratio. I don't mind having lots of plot threads, but I like at least some of them to be resolved before picking up new ones. AoT hasn't 'answered' anything in a very long time, and it's getting a bit frustrating to see it juggling so many balls.

I think my main problem with the pacing is the question-to-answer ratio. I don't mind having lots of plot threads, but I like at least some of them to be resolved before picking up new ones. AoT hasn't 'answered' anything in a very long time, and it's getting a bit frustrating to see it juggling so many balls.

Yup, they've added at least three more major mysteries and we still know nothing about human/titan transformations and why only some can do it, who the titan at the beginning of season 1 was, who Annie was working for, why some titans can talk and try desperately to fight against their urges to eat humans and I'm sure I'm getting forgetting a few.

Very annoying. I feel like the season is going to end with answers to only a couple of those and we're back to waiting years for the third season.

Galava

By the time 3rd season drops, the manga will have ended its final arc (in which we just entered). Still, a 4th season will be needed to finish it (assuming the 3rd is 2cour)

SnK is the kind of show that does:

Give questions
Give questions
Some answers
Years pass giving questions
Give all answers together
Give questions

DarkKyo

I dunno, I think the show does enough to give you information to start figuring things out for yourself. It was just a couple episodes ago that they blatantly hinted at titans growing out of normal humans(Connie's village abnormal). I mean that's a pretty big revelation only a couple episodes into the season.

What about all the answers from season one?
-That intelligent titans exist
-There are those who can shift between human and titan forms
-There are foreign agents(Annie) hiding within the ranks

And really any "new questions" they pose to the viewer serve the purpose of filling in the blanks. You're presented with new information that sparks the new question in your mind. Little by little you get the bigger picture and can start to grasp major things about the titans and the world in general. Just because there's not a bombshell revelation every other episode doesn't mean you aren't getting answers. Personally I think the pacing of the show and the "questions-to-answers" ratio is perfect for a story like this. The mystery is half the fun!

Brakke

Banned
I dunno, I think the show does enough to give you information to start figuring things out for yourself. It was just a couple episodes ago that they blatantly hinted at titans growing out of normal humans(Connie's village abnormal). I mean that's a pretty big revelation only a couple episodes into the season.

But this is nothing. Titans look like humans so there's obviously a relation. In fact we know that special titans look like the human they transformed from, with Eren and Annie and (probably) the Armor and Collosal Titans.

We also knew already from Season 1 that Eren would eventually get consumed entirely into his Titan and lose his human consciousness.

So the idea that "some people turn into titans and then lack the self control -- or the Mikasa -- to return to human" doesn't move the ball anywhere.

Meanwhile we've opened a bunch of new "mysteries" there. Was the whole village turned into Titans? Did they knew they could / would become Titans? What triggered it happening now? Does Connie have Titan potential for the same reason his mom did? Why is Reiner so insistent on Connie not asking these questions? Why is Connie too stupid to not see Reiner doing that?

Brakke

Banned
Yeah I actually agree. Connie's also nervous about admitting things to himself. On that point, I was being flip.

Joni

Stupid topic made me curious and got me to watch episode 1 to 29 this weekend. Episode 29 twist made me go 'oh'.

Jaeger

Definitely one of my favorite new franchises. Is the manga worth reading? I remember the big thing about it being the artist wasn't that good. Did the S1 anime cover everything this far from the, or were there things left out for time?

Definitely one of my favorite new franchises. Is the manga worth reading? I remember the big thing about it being the artist wasn't that good. Did the S1 anime cover everything this far from the, or were there things left out for time?

I think the anime has covered everything or almost everything.

Well, the art isn't very good but for me is 'enough'. It even has a charming 'bleak' aspect to it, in that creates an increased sense of dread.

Dryk

I thought I had missed an episode at first, heh.

Isn't Eren supposed to be the main character? :p I think this is about where I stopped reading the manga. This season is okay so far, but it sure looks good.
I've felt like this arc has been super interesting because Eren, Mikasa, and Armin have been sidelined.

I'm starting to suspect that the walls are there to keep those inside them captive or something like that as maybe some sort of cattle for whoever or whatever are controlling the titans. Some people inside obviously know stuff the general population doesn't. That information has to come from somewhere. Maybe aliens? Lol. I mean how do you explain all the biological questions arising from the existence of solar powered titans?

Moaradin

Finally got around to watching the last two episodes. This season has been a huge step up compared to S1 in every way. Kinda hope Ymir isn't dead. This show tends to kill off characters right as they get really interesting.

HardRojo

Finally got around to watching the last two episodes. This season has been a huge step up compared to S1 in every way. Kinda hope Ymir isn't dead. This show tends to kill off characters right as they get really interesting.
Lol yeah you'd better not get attached to any of the characters, but weirdly enough, I couldn't care less about the main trio.

I think the 12 episodes actually makes sense. The Clash of the Titans arc is only about 15 chapters isn't it. It would make sense to do this small arc first then do then next huge one with a full 24 episodes. Season one covered about 30 chapters iirc.

Attack on Titan 31

I really, really love the way this reveal is dropped. Its just so non-chalant and in the middle of another conversation and its like "Wait, no. I could not have POSSIBLY just read that right."

RG0BS1U.gif

Attack on Titan 31

I really, really love the way this reveal is dropped. Its just so non-chalant and in the middle of another conversation and its like "Wait, no. I could not have POSSIBLY just read that right."

Yeah, this was great. I think it worked better because the reveal was foreshadowed pretty heavily -- if it came out of nowhere, I would have been really confused.

Been waiting a long time for this part to be animated

Attack on Titan 31

I remember reading the manga and just kind of skipping over that part because it was such a small part of the frame and then I get to the next page and they're well within the reveal and I'm like WTF, did I miss something? It was brilliant.

Tcab96

Fucking Christ. Here we go. Honestly, I didn't feel much when annie was revealed. But I felt this betrayal.

Jigolo

W
T
F

I'm just 12 min in the episode as of this post and this casual conversation is lmaooooo what in the fuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom