• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 2 |OT| NO MANGA TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

I guess the whole part about Ymir and Christa/Historia are making people scratch their heads because they literally sidelined both characters in the first season even though they have pretty sizable roles in the manga.

So I guess I can see how the stuff with Ymir felt weird, and then the reveal today.

All of that stuff is explained eventually, tho.

Brakke

Banned
Reiner is such a champ. What a cool good dude.

Eren's loyalty to the people inside the walls is so silly at this point. Reiner's a bro, you know he's a bro, just fucken talk with him. The church is fucked up, the MP are villains, the government's pulled all kind of lies and cover ups. Get your ass woke, Eren. Question a premise.

there's literally nothing wrong with this show's narrative structure

lol

Lautaro

Eren's loyalty to the people inside the walls is so silly at this point. Reiner's a bro, you know he's a bro, just fucken talk with him. The church is fucked up, the MP are villains, the government's pulled all kind of lies and cover ups. Get your ass woke, Eren. Question a premise.

He just needs to ignore the small detail of his mom getting devoured as result of the actions of Reiner and Bertholdt, no biggie.

Erigu

The first time I watched it, I was really confused how Reiner lost his hand. I think it's because the animators screwed up a few frames.
Japanese TV series always avoid showing limb mutilations, using some trick or another. It's... a bit of a complicated issue, over there.

Wilsongt

lol

I hope they skip the government stuff and just stick to the important aspects of it. Becuase that part was just Zzzzzzzzzz

lol

I mean Season 1 spent a lot of time showcasing the caste system divide

The walls are like this symbol of "oh shit we fucked up" so lets hide and fuck the suffering of the outside world because of our actions

And what they hell with Erens dad. I imagine he was planning on using the "titan formula" to take revenge on the capital or at the very least have a tool for survival for the eventual titan invasion

He just needs to ignore the small detail of his mom getting devoured as result of the actions of Reiner and Bertholdt, no biggie.

Dude seriously. It would be quite a narrative misstep for him to not hold them personally responsible for the deaths

The back and forth and attempted bargaining by those two is very bizarre. They were happy to knock down the wall, get hundreds killed just to hide within the ranks?

How the titans appeared? Genetic tinkering. Stole Monkey Beast Titan DNA. Maybe Humanity stumbled upon monkey men and they didnt get along?

Who/what is the Beast titan? The catalyst to everything? He is clear different from any titan we have seen so far. Maybe he is representative of the true titan race or hes just yet another human experiment. He does have many human qualities with regards to his facial structure.

What and where is the 'hometown' mentioned by Reiner? My Guess is that he might be part of the first town of people experimented on. Could have just been a normal town before people in power decided to do the unthinkable. Reiner going back an forth on the whole "destroy" humanity thing makes me think he was once human himself.

Why that holy crusade of destroying humanity? Did humanity sinned greatly in the past and Titans haven't forgotten? This is kind of what crushes my theories a bit. If some people in power did some evil shit.... why kill so many innocent lives on the way? If titans were once humans.... outside of the ones that lost control of their minds I dont understand sacrificing so many innocents if the intent is to take revenge on those responsible

Maybe those that have read ahead can score my theories lol

As a manga reader, I love reading speculation.

IJoel

This episode was amazing. Had no clue where this was going, when suddenly it turned super tense. Loved it!

Brakke

Banned

But actually tho. His dad's some kinda mysterious conspirator who turned him into a Titan. Why trust anything about life inside the walls At All? Was that even his real mom?

Sucks your mom got ate but it's not like the regime you're tryna lay down your life for ever gave a shit about your mom either.

But actually tho. His dad's some kinda mysterious conspirator who turned him into a Titan. Why trust anything about life inside the walls At All? Was that even his real mom?

Sucks your mom got ate but it's not like the regime you're tryna lay down your life for ever gave a shit about your mom either.

Ehhhh its not like he didnt develop a loving relationship with her regardless of whether it was his real mom or not

It will be interesting who he considers responsible for the deaths of all those people

I would consider at least the majority of those who have died so far to be innocent of whatever crime is driving the plot

How the titans appeared? Genetic tinkering. Stole Monkey Beast Titan DNA. Maybe Humanity stumbled upon monkey men and they didnt get along?

I always thought the setting was some kind of post apocalyptic future where at some point humanity fought a world war with genetic engineering, some nanotechnology, etc, that produced the Titans, that's why most of humanity went extinct.

The first appearance of the Colossal titan always reminded me a bit of Nausicaa, which have a similar setting backstory.

Well, Eren has always been "fuck titans, I'm gonna kill them" ever since his mom was eaten by Smiles. And now he knows exactly who is responsible for that. Unless his characterization is completely broken, he's not going to just go along with Reiner and Bertholt.

FluxWaveZ

Well, Eren has always been "fuck titans, I'm gonna kill them" ever since his mom was eaten by Smiles. And now he knows exactly who is responsible for that. Unless his characterization is completely broken, he's not going to just go along with Reiner and Bertholt.

Yep. And I thought they messed up with that when it looked like Eren was actually considering it before the flashback. Glad that what gave him pause was something else.

Yep. And I thought they messed up with that when it looked like Eren was actually considering it before the flashback. Glad that what gave him pause was something else.

I mean yeah

Even if we were to believe that Bernholt and Reiner were the first victims of experiments and seeking revenge

They still dropped a lot of uninvolved bodies along the way

Im sure they started out not caring at all about any citizen within the walls when they invaded though.

Brakke

Banned
👏 manga 👏 readers 👏 fuck 👏 off 👏

Obviously Eren's a dumb child who's sad about his mommy. But the way the show just totally skims over ever having Eren engage with his father's... betrayal? makes the thing a mess. Eren's mom dying is the Ultimate Defining Moment for him but his dad deserting him while apparently being in league with Team Titan is something Eren is just capable of sticking a pin in and not worrying about too much?

Like the only thing he can actually be totally sure of at this point is that he's working with incomplete information. And he recognizes that when it comes to the basement. He's an emotional cypher when it comes to his dad, he just wants to figure it out. But here Reiner apparently betrays him and instead of tryna figure that one out, he gets his blood up.

👏 manga 👏 readers 👏 fuck 👏 off 👏

Obviously Eren's a dumb child who's sad about his mommy. But the way the show just totally skims over ever having Eren engage with his father's... betrayal? makes the thing a mess. Eren's mom dying is the Ultimate Defining Moment for him but his dad deserting him while apparently being in league with Team Titan is something Eren is just capable of sticking a pin in and not worrying about too much?

Like the only thing he can actually be totally sure of at this point is that he's working with incomplete information. And he recognizes that when it comes to the basement. He's an emotional cypher when it comes to his dad, he just wants to figure it out. But here Reiner apparently betrays him and instead of tryna figure that one out, he gets his blood up.

Isnt it still up in the air as far as his father?

All we know is that he was working with the serum to turn people into titans.... and a good one apparently since Eren turned out pretty strong even if self control is an issue

I imagine his Dad's involvement in the plot is complicated.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Japanese TV series always avoid showing limb mutilations, using some trick or another. It's... a bit of a complicated issue, over there.
I'm used to the typical censor stuff. This is actually redrawing the hand as if it didn't happen. If you didn't see the image, you have to click it.

Buzzi

Oh man, that was literally the manga 1:1.
This was the point were I couldn't believe the shit I read, like... how in hell can you serve THE trashy plotwist in such an anticlimatic way rotfl
The story was stagnant since some chapters, but this here was one of the cringest scenes ever for me and...the anime touched nothing of that.

I'm not even criticizing it now, seeing this animated makes it such a memorable so bad so good moment.

I dropped the manga a little after this point so definitely hyped to see how it can do even better.

But here Reiner apparently betrays him and instead of tryna figure that one out, he gets his blood up.
That's Eren, though. He gets his blood up. He gets fucking angry. We saw that when he fought Annie the first time. He's the little ball of rage.

He's not going to figure it all out with regards to Reiner because Reiner and Bertholt were responsible for getting his mother killed. That's the kind of thing that's going to override any rational thinking.

Best episode so far. How casually Reiner drops the truth bomb, Mikasa's and the other dude's face during Reiner's absurdity, the feeling of betrayal, and how it ends with Eren going from sad to hella pissed. I really like how the humans already had their suspicions as well. Annie really fucked up their plans. Music was on point too.

Brakke

Banned
Isnt it still up in the air as far as his father?

All we know is that he was working with the serum to turn people into titans.... and a good one apparently since Eren turned out pretty strong even if self control is an issue

I imagine his Dad's involvement in the plot is complicated.

Well that's my point, clearly Dad's got a complicated motive. But from a purely emotional standpoint, he abandoned Eren at Eren's most vulnerable moment, pausing only long enough to turn Eren into a monster.

Eren's willing to suppress whatever animus he should hold toward his father, recognizing that things are more complicated than he knows. But now he doesn't even try to hear Reiner out, just shouts some black-and-white "betrayal!" accusation and suits up.

Like. Nine years from now or whenever the fuck Eren reaches the basement, I'm pretty sure he's not going to scream "dad I can't believe you left me!!" and then smash it with his Titan foot. He's gunna go in there and try and learn what's up.

Kaizer

Banned
That reveal was FANTASTIC, was great to finally see that moment animated. Loving the range of reactions in here, personally I loved the casual/nonchalant way that the Reiner & Bertholdt reveal we dropped. In the manga you're just reading along & then all of a sudden you do a double take like "WHAT THE FUCK DID HE JUST SAY!?"

Kinyou

Is there anything more awesome than killer Mikasa?

(No. No, there isn't)

dBcwCgg.jpg
*swoon*

Ok totally just rewatched that scene

It makes way more sense now

Clearly Reiner and Bernholt had a preconceived notion of people beyond the wall when they attacked

"Ive been here for too long" "Im surrounded by idiots" "We were just kids, we didnt know anything"

Is he referring to his past life where he was building up his hatred for those inside the walls? Is he expressing regret after meeting and living amongst them?

"If I only knew there were people like this" "I wouldnt have become a half-asses piece of shit"

So its as others in this thread have said. Eren laid it out for him. "It doesn't matter if you want to make a deal now.... you made your choices and im not forgiving you" basically

He is cracking under the pressure of being part of starting this war that he didnt truly understand the implications of. Holy shit man

"Its too late now. I dont know whats right anymore"

After realizing he cant turn back on his regretful actions hes torn on how to move forward and just resigns himself to double down on a settling the fight right then and there.

I imagine he is welcoming death now.... weird... His whole flashback when he saved Connie

Clearly he was human before... suffered at the hands titans.... then become one to exact revenge on what I assume the responsible party inside the walls. Just weird that he says "destroy humanity". After becoming a Titan did he just jump on board for a world of only titans?

Kickz

That reveal
merchant.png

But why??

And so they were behind this thing since waaay back then.. They must be 100s of years old

BIGWORM

I'm throw off a bit by the timeline of season 2. Last episode (Soldier, I think), Eren was talking about
his first kill
? Is this all backstory to this point, even though they talked about
Annie being a Titan herself and Eren using his Titan's hardening ability to seal up the hole in the wall?

I'm throw off a bit by the timeline of season 2. Last episode (Soldier, I think), Eren was talking about
his first kill
? Is this all backstory to this point, even though they talked about
Annie being a Titan herself and Eren using his Titan's hardening ability to seal up the hole in the wall?

It's his first titan kill using ODM gear. All of what has taken place is in the present and continuing from last season.

Joni

That reveal
merchant.png

But why??

And so they were behind this thing since waaay back then.. They must be 100s of years old

Way back then? Colossal and Armored Titan attack only happened five years ago.
Curios to see how that fight will go.

Collossal and Armored Titans are victims from beyond that wall that somehow attained powers like Eren and plotted to eradicate those within the walls

It makes me want to go back and rewatch all the scenes with them and Annie to see the progression of their characters within this context

Takashi

Such an awesome reveal. I loved how they did it exactly like the manga and just divulged it so nonchalantly.

I remember first reading that, I had to do a double triple take thinking WTF just happened. I didn't expect the big villains to be revealed so soon and in that fashion, and I certainly didn't expect it to be those two. Tbh I was guessing they'd be some new unrevealed characters, or that maybe Jean was the Armored Titan since they look very similar.

Based on how they nailed that reveal, now I'm really hoping there's no huge delay between future seasons.

Ok totally just rewatched that scene

It makes way more sense now

Clearly Reiner and Bernholt had a preconceived notion of people beyond the wall when they attacked

"Ive been here for too long" "Im surrounded by idiots" "We were just kids, we didnt know anything"

Is he referring to his past life where he was building up his hatred for those inside the walls? Is he expressing regret after meeting and living amongst them?

"If I only knew there were people like this" "I wouldnt have become a half-asses piece of shit"

So its as others in this thread have said. Eren laid it out for him. "It doesn't matter if you want to make a deal now.... you made your choices and im not forgiving you" basically

He is cracking under the pressure of being part of starting this war that he didnt truly understand the implications of. Holy shit man

In special the part of "We were just kids, we didnt know anything" and "If I only knew there were people like this" seem very interesting. You have to wonder if they were sent as kid soldiers by their people and they had another picture of what the 'terrible enemy' was. Brainwashing? At one point they believed or believe in destroying humankind. Surely, they didn't think that they were people that could be friends with them.

Yoda

From the perspective of the anime:

Some questions

How the titans appeared?
Unknown, however people suspect they aren't a natural/wild phenomena, specifically this can be seen in how Commander Erwin reacted to the reveal that Eren was a shifter last season.

What's the relationship between normal titans and shifter titans?
Normal titans don't appear to have a limit on their regenerative abilities, they also don't display sentience. Shifters seem to have a limit until they are "worn out" as seen with the Annie fight in the forest last season, and Ymir defending the tower @ the outpost.

Are all titans just humans that couldn't transform back and eventually forgot they were once humans?
Unknown.

Who/what is the Beast titan? From where does it comes that he didn't know about 3d gear?

As far as we know, he's just another shifter.

What and where is the 'hometown' mentioned by Reiner?
In today's episode, it was implied that their supposed hometown is A) bullshit B) An alias for the place they are from.

Is there a place outside of wall full of sentient titans, like Reiner, Annie, etc?
We've been outside the wall early last season, before the fall of shinganshia (sp?). There were only regular titans outside.

Is that the village from where they came from?
Unknown.

Why that holy crusade of destroying humanity?
I'm not sure where the holy part is coming from, but Reiner hasn't elaborated on why he wanted to eradicate the humans within the walls.

Did humanity sinned greatly in the past and Titans haven't forgotten?
Not sure where this is coming from either.

Is Ymir from a different place, or from the same place than them but with a different goal?
During the flashback, the show states only Annie, Bertolt, and Reiner are from the "village"

In special the part of "We were just kids, we didnt know anything" and "If I only knew there were people like this" seem very interesting. You have to wonder if they were sent as kid soldiers by their people and they had another picture of what the 'terrible enemy' was. Brainwashing? At one point they believed or believe in destroying humankind. Surely, they didn't think that they were people that could be friends with them.

it certainly explains annies cold hearted nature at the beginning

Kickz

How did this reveal have nothing to do with the previous episodes? Overall, we just got the identities of the two bastards who literally kickstarted the series when the Colossal Titan put his foot through the gate in the first episode.

Not sure what you mean that it has nothing to do with the previous events. Reiner has his pride as a warrior and after seeing Ymir go all out and the possible connection with his past, he decided he couldn't live like this anymore and decided to just do it.

Yea but all the sudden reveals are never expanded on;

-Erens basement key/dad
-The giant ape Titan who can talk
- short haired dude's village it appeared the people were becoming Titans
-the group that circled the Walls and found no hole in the wall
-Ymirs Titan powers and how she appears to be speak some ancient language
- Historia's noble bloodline and what it means
-and now suddenly Colossus and his accomplice are suddenly revealed

We have set up reveal, and then quickly move on to something else

Yoda

�� manga �� readers �� fuck �� off ��

Eren doesn't have evidence his dad is in league with "Team Titan". Remember Ymir is apparently on "Team Titan" too and he doesn't protest that either, and logically so. As you state the information he has available is incomplete, and Eren gives most people the benefit of the doubt, instead of assuming guilt. Last season, he pushed back against Armin's accusation that Annie was the female titan.

Obviously Eren's a dumb child who's sad about his mommy.
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but this is really a gross simplification. His mom was eaten alive in front of him, being scared about such an event seems natural. If he wasn't a zealous character, he'd have simply joined the Military Police, and the rest of the cast most likely would've followed, at the bare minimum Mikasa and Armin would've... and the show would be pretty damn boring if that were the case.

I believe the three conspirators to be actual people who lived in human settlements beyond the wall before being the first to be victimized by whoever created the titans

Im not sure how the survivors got involved with whatever groups have access to the technology that allows the creation of titan hybrids like Eren.

Perhaps his father sympathized with those on the outside of the wall and worked with them?

I hold the royal family accountable and I imagine Historia knows something

DarkKyo

It makes me want to go back and rewatch all the scenes with them and Annie to see the progression of their characters within this context

I rewatched season 1 recently and it's interesting seeing their(Bert's, Reiner's, Annie's) reactions to Eren transforming for the first time in Trost.. they look just as surprised as the rest of the cadets!
Another thing you notice is a lot of shots have the three of them grouped/standing together.

Tbh I was guessing they'd be some new unrevealed characters, or that maybe Jean was the Armored Titan since they look very similar.

Before I read this part of the manga I had pegged Erwin to be the Collosal titan, there seemed to be a slight resemblance in their faces. Of course Erwin is an awesome boon to humanity though so of course he couldn't be the colossal :p

Soriku

The first time I watched it, I was really confused how Reiner lost his hand. I think it's because the animators screwed up a few frames. Here's after he gets cut but before they show him missing his right hand.

They censored it, in the Manga his arm just gets lobbed off when she strikes.

latest

Kinyou

-Erens basement key/dad

I have no doubts that most of this stuff will be further expanded upon. Keep in mind that a lot of this is also connected. Like that Reiner and Berthold have met Ymir in titan form or that the ape Titan was most likely the one who brought those other titans within the wall.

Joni

Normal titans don't appear to have a limit on their regenerative abilities, they also don't display sentience. Shifters seem to have a limit until they are "worn out" as seen with the Annie fight in the forest last season, and Ymir defending the tower @ the outpost.

We sure they don't have a limit? We have never actually seen them pushed to the limit like the Titan Shifters were. They usually get taken down in a couple of minutes.

-Erens basement key/dad

Considering they just revealed who the Colossal and Armored Titans are, they might still come back to the rest.

That's not even slightly true, this season has had tons of flashbacks.
Well, other than those and most of them have taken place after the first season. The only backstory I can remember was the winter training and Sasha's backstory with her father. Everything else has taken place after the first season despite some jumps to a few hours prior. The main storyline of this season is in the present.

-Erens basement key/dad

All I can really say is keep watching. Think of these reveals as puzzle pieces. You're being given the edges and with those, you have sort of idea of what the next interlocking piece is. You have some that piece together already such as Connie's village, the Monkey Trouble who can talk and seemingly control other titans, and the lack of any wall breach.

Reiner's and Bertholt's reveal wasn't even sudden. There have been hints to their true nature in the series that a lot of people picked up on.

Wilsongt

-Erens basement key/dad

To be fair, Connie's village is focused on more in the manga than in the show. However, what happens is explained a bit later.

Soriku

-Erens basement key/dad

If you want this stuff expanded on now go read the Manga or the Wiki. They'll get to everything in time.

I know it's been a long time since the anime started but there's only been like 31 episodes. That's really not a whole lot. Plenty of time to go into reveals yet.

BTW this stuff is interconnected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom