• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) manga thread of TOTAL SPOILER PANDEMONIUM

ElFly

This is the least surprising twist. We had seen it coming for years.

Want to mention that crunchyroll online reader is worse than the unit 731 experiments, and this one happens every time a new manga is released.

Shingeki no Kyojin 62

http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics_read/manga?volume_id=273&chapter_num=62.00

Yeah the reader is pretty bad.

So turbulent times are ahead of them, people had stability of government for so much time that a coup d'etat leaves them utterly confused. There are also some doubts in Erwin, as he doesn't really know for sure if he made the right choice: it's true that the royalty has some dark secrets, but maybe they survived the last 100 years thanks to them and they didn't know because it was part of the secret. It also seems the coup worked thanks to pettiness and noble's attitude caused a long standing resentment, which is understandable.

Frieda= female's Eren aka mysterious girl?

It's clear there were no bandits, but someone transformed in a titan and destroyed the chapel in the process.

Is that... Historia transformed in a Titan?
And she is fighting with another Titan. From Eren's perspective is like his father! O_O
He was a shifter, he killed the Reiss family or fought with them for some reason, injected the serum to his child, but then that provoked a sudden transformation and Eren devoured his own father, so that's why he has these memories.
I was thinking already if maybe Eren had eaten someone and that's why he was a shifter since some chapter ago, but I didn't imagine it was his father the doctor!

I'm worried Historia has changed sides, even if what happened wasn't really what we thought.

Well, damn. The pace is as good as ever. Compare this with other seinen like Vagabond, Berserk or Vinland saga and it happens so much more stuff in a chapter.

One moment. I was still thinking that Eren gained the ability after the injection, but if his dad was a titan shifter, his son maybe was another one, and the injection was only to force the transformation and let the coordinate stolen from the Reiss family pass to him. And because his eat his father, now he has said memories and the memories of the ones he devoured, like Frieda.

kirblar

Q: What are some of the requests you made when SnK was turned into a anime?
A: I have proposed they add in many minor details, like making Eren into a more useless person. And Director Araki had also given his own suggestions, like the scene in Ep2 where Eren got punched. It was not included in the script, but added during the storyboard. I liked that scene.
Amazing.

Peco

Well, damn. The pace is as good as ever. Compare this with other seinen like Vagabond, Berserk or Vinland saga and it happens so much more stuff in a chapter.

But SnK is a shonen, so there's no point in comparing it with seinen titles.

Not that it matters, but still. :p

Not for me :p.

I read hundreds of seinen, and SnK matches up in style, tone, structure, etc.
edit: and before anyone says "it's in a shonen magazine!", it isn't so clear. First, apart from shonen, seinen and shojo magazines, there are a few ones "in the middle", that have works for every public or that combines shojo and shonen in one magazine, etc. Also, the same magazine publish some stuff like Flowers of Evil or From the new world. Do you really believe a 12 years old boy (which is actually what it means shonen, boy) reads Flowers of Evil?
I mean, it isn't like SnK is totally "seinen", but it's well in the border between shonen and seinen, like a lot of works that were published in seinen magazines.

ElFly

One moment. I was still thinking that Eren gained the ability after the injection, but if his dad was a titan shifter, his son maybe was another one, and the injection was only to force the transformation and let the coordinate stolen from the Reiss family pass to him. And because his eat his father, now he has said memories and the memories of the ones he devoured, like Frieda.

Maybe the injection was so that he didn't go Titan permanently, and got the ability to turn back into human without having to luck into eating another titan-capable human. Of course shit went sideways.

It's prolly the reason the titans attack the cities and eat more humans they can digest, to luck into eating one that will let them control the titan curse. Like what happened to Ymir, who ate another titan-capable-person and gained the ability to turn back into a human.

Zephyx

Maybe the injection was so that he didn't go Titan permanently, and got the ability to turn back into human without having to luck into eating another titan-capable human. Of course shit went sideways.

It's prolly the reason the titans attack the cities and eat more humans they can digest, to luck into eating one that will let them control the titan curse. Like what happened to Ymir, who ate another titan-capable-person and gained the ability to turn back into a human.

That makes a lot of sense. Still, why did the first Titan that ate Eren revert to his human form? Was it because he's alive? Maybe that's why most titans break/kill the human before eating (i.e. like what the Smiling Titan did to his mother)?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
My God, this is so convoluted.

Why does every single chapter need to have a "A few hours/days earlier..." switch? Jesus Christ, man.

Shit continues to be terrible.

JDSN

Banned
Oh well, its seems that " Game of Titans" will be put on whole for a while now that the revolution is over, tho it seems that Zackly is a tyrant in the making.

rexor0717

Man, the quality of this story is taking a nose dive. They keep introducing characters the very chapter that they need to be relevant, just like they did with Levi's mentor dude. Also, lets just make up powers on the fly. At least there was some Titaning.

Frog-fu

Banned
I still quite enjoy this even though it's not really about the Titan killing as much. The mystery is what keeps me interested.

Would much prefer it if the chapters release weekly or every two weeks.

dani_dc

Well if you compare it with shonen's it comes off even better when it comes down to pacing.

Though I do agree with Turin when he says it's kind of an in-between.

Interesting twist this week.

It looks like Eren's ability to control Titans works on everyone, not just Titans.

They said that only a few people were immune to it, so I'm guessing they were talking about the Ackermanns.

robox

i read the chapter
i am utterly confused
i don't understand any of the logic or plans of anybody.
not kenny
not reiss
not eren

dani_dc

i read the chapter
i am utterly confused
i don't understand any of the logic or plans of anybody.
not kenny
not reiss
not eren

Kenny doesn't give a shit anymore, he just wants to see chaos at this point.
Reiss wants to maintain control by having Eren power under him through Historia.
Eren (like Historia) is a moron and believed Reiss story so he wants to be eaten for the sake of humanity.

I think that's about it at this point.

kirblar

*reads newest chapter*
Gahhhh another shitty cliffhanger...
New Eren titan form next chapter!!
Armored Eren! I love that Kenny is a complete wild card.
Levi's "sigh....yeah do what you want...sorry" is hilarious in its self-awareness
Apparently, from Reddit: -The bottle had "Buraun/Braun" written on it along with "armored."

CDiggity

Oh look. The protagonists avoid deathflags once again and the person who expended his use as exposition dump in the story is probably not gonna survive.

What. A. Shock.

Eren also gets a powerup he totally doesn't deserve.

kewlmyc

Just got caught up after stopping at the end of the Armored Escape arc. The manga has really made me dislike Eren. Like REALLY dislike him.

Just caught up. Eren is still a whiny ass little punk so it was very refreshing to watch Historia punch him in the face for being such a crybaby lol.

New titan form, very excited. Mikasa should just inherit the powers.

This has become rather boring in last couple of chapters. I had rather high expectations for the secrets behind titans, but the reveals in last few chapters are underwhelming.

Nibel

Wow, this community seems pretty much dead.

Just like the manga.
KuGsj.gif

I mean.. was that long-ass flashback of an unimportant character really necessary?

kewlmyc

Hey at least we're gonna be dealing with the basement soon..... maybe.

I wonder how anime only fans are gonna handle the second half of season 2 when it comes out. That with its almost complete lack of titans and Eren being kidnapped or suicidal for most of it.

robox

i know of so many casual fans who love the anime.
i have a hard time continuing to recommend the comic due to the current events. i just don't know what to say. it was genuinely exciting early on, but it has really slowed way way way down

JulianImp

So, at the end of the chapter
Levi has a Titan dose available to use as he sees fit, right?

Yeah, that's what I think happened

It seems like the plot has slowed down a whole lot and the explanations so far haven't been all that interesting, sadly. I'd say I liked titans more when we knew way less about them.

I also feel for those who watch season 2 of the anime expecting lots of titan-on-titan action since, despite having the collossal/armored titan reveals early on, the plot quickly switches gears to conspiracy-crafting and infighting among the human factions, and stays like that for a long time.

JulianImp

Welp. That's kinda hilarious.

Yeah, it's like they really try to get to the basement, but there's always some revelation or plot development that becomes more urgent than that, or an actual prequisite to get there (ie: controlling titan cristallization powers to reclaim the territory Eren's house was in).

Basically, Eren and the titan shapeshifting powers he got from
eating his dad, who in turn had eaten some kind of alpha titan that had the power to rewrite people's memories and control other titans
became the wagering chip every single faction in the story wants for themselves (to stage a revolution, to revert things back to the status quo, or for whatever reason the shapeshifters from outside the walls might have). As a result, the story's more about infighting, conspiracies and politics than it was initially, when it just seemed like a bleak and twisted world where anybody could die at any time.

jett

D-Member
Yeah, it's like they really try to get to the basement, but there's always some revelation or plot development that becomes more urgent than that, or an actual prequisite to get there (ie: controlling titan cristallization powers to reclaim the territory Eren's house was in).

Basically, Eren and the titan shapeshifting powers he got from
eating his dad, who in turn had eaten some kind of alpha titan that had the power to rewrite people's memories and control other titans
became the wagering chip every single faction in the story wants for themselves (to stage a revolution, to revert things back to the status quo, or for whatever reason the shapeshifters from outside the walls might have). As a result, the story's more about infighting, conspiracies and politics than it was initially, when it just seemed like a bleak and twisted world where anybody could die at any time.

I'm def glad I gave up on this then, thanks. :p

ElFly

Several developments in chapter 70.

Sometimes talkies aren't bad.

Mikasa getting all jealous of Historia is hilarious.

Top Bottom