• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuroyume

Banned
I thought the first episode was kind of bad actually. Too many cliches. Everything from the obnoxious loud little kid that wants take on the world to the strong female with a bored expression on her face the entire time. And the constant speed lines gets really old. It's one thing to use them when theres action going on, but when characters or shocked or agruing with each other? It just looks dumb. Also, while the background look pretty the characters look rather ugly. It's kind of jarring that they have thick black outlines around them.

I liked the ending. Felt the attack was scary. The Titans are a mix between looking goofy and yet terrifying. Would have been better without the stupid grins on their faces.

Branduil

Attack on Titan 2

iw0uvetleft2z.jpg
ibixTypO7AYcC2.jpg

iURWF9yQDc1Ji.jpg
iIAprrxNQ4k7g.jpg

Forgive me Studio Pablo, but this show has the most impressive background art of the season.

If last week's episode was promising for its faithfulness to the source material and its technical excellence, this episode is promising for its ability to expand upon the original material and actually improve it in some ways. Turning
the fall of Wall Maria
from a couple of pages in the manga to a full-blown setpiece was a really good idea and should pay dividends in the future. Similarly, all of the original material with the refugees,
and the genocide disguised as an attempt to retake the wall
, was much better served here than in the manga, where it was only mentioned in passing. In particular I like that Armin was given a more concrete motivation for joining the military. The production value continues to impress; I feel like even the still shots look good because of the art direction and the high-budget background art. And it's not like they're being overly abused, I think; all of the most important scenes are given the animation they deserve.

And has been mentioned, the ED is absolutely excellent. One of the rare shows to have a great opening AND ending.

Dresden

If the show can maintain the kind of tone (and tonal consistency) that episode two had, it'll be something special. I was surprised when we didn't get MOTION LINES during
Eren's spate with the guard, and Armin.

Branduil

If the show can maintain the kind of tone (and tonal consistency) that episode two had, it'll be something special. I was surprised when we didn't get MOTION LINES during
Eren's spate with the guard, and Armin.

The Armin/Eren argument was a nice original scene. I haven't seen a shounen adaptation which put this much effort and love into the story since, well, the original FMA. It would be nice if it could maintain that.

Jex

I thought the first episode was kind of bad actually. Too many cliches. Everything from the obnoxious loud little kid that wants take on the world to the strong female with a bored expression on her face the entire time. And the constant speed lines gets really old. It's one thing to use them when theres action going on, but when characters or shocked or agruing with each other? It just looks dumb. Also, while the background look pretty the characters look rather ugly. It's kind of jarring that they have thick black outlines around them.

I liked the ending. Felt the attack was scary. The Titans are a mix between looking goofy and yet terrifying. Would have been better without the stupid grins on their faces.

I couldn't disagree with you more!

Great second episode although I must say I'm not really fond of Eren's VA, it would have been better if he wasn't yelling for the most part or if he's not yelling then he's on the verge of it. Good thing Mikasa has been pretty awesome so far and I'm curious as to how Armin develops in the future. Mikasa <3 <3 <3

obin_gam

Episode #2
There are two series I will always rank first when it comes to anime. One is the first anime series I ever saw, Hellsing, and the second is the most entertaining series to date, Black Lagoon. When I see these two, a special feeling ignites for me. Dont know what it is or why, but these two are what I look for when it comes to anime.

Even if the main character in AoT is fucking annoying and unlikeable as hell (note: not unlikeable in a good way like Joffrey in GoT) this second episode brought forth a small bit of the feeling Hellsing and BL brings :)

Bit of a shame that the design of the Titans is what they are, I thought about what an awesome twist it would be, when they decide to end the series, if it had been revealed that that people are actually leprechauns and the titans are just bored teenagers thats messing around with a leprechaun society they found somewhere out in the woods :D

Dennis

Banned
Great second episode although I must say I'm not really fond of Eren's VA, it would have been better if he wasn't yelling for the most part or if he's not yelling then he's on the verge of it. Good thing Mikasa has been pretty awesome so far and I'm curious as to how Armin develops in the future. Mikasa <3 <3 <3

Boy has mother eaten alive before his eyes.
GAF complains he is yelling.

Kurita

Episode 2

Oh boy, I was so excited when the Armored Titan showed up. Seeing him running was sooooo cool. sogood.gif
This is how every good adaptation should be like.

Loved the bit where
the armored Titan pops out and does his 100 meter sprint of doom. The combination of Sawano's music with the solid animation and cinematography really made it a fantastic little sequence.

I had low expectations for this adaptation, but thus far, it's been great. Fingers crossed that Wit can keep this up.

Akito

Unfortunately the video has been deleted (along with all the Tokyo Encounter episodes) :/
From the internet? I don't think so :p
Hint: I just found it by clicking on the first link on Google. Somehow I never got on this so far, time to change that.

Kurita

From the internet? I don't think so :p
Hint: I just found it by clicking on the first link on Google. Somehow I never got on this so far, time to change that.

I was talking about Youtube, but I know exactly what website you're talking about :lol

Dresden beat us on IRC apparently haha

RangerBAD

The difference between this and many other adaptations is this is actually expected to do very well. It's based on a very successful property and got itself a nice timeslot.

I think more seasons is definitely a possibility if it sells well.

I think they would have trouble with it being a monthly serialization. Won't take long to catch up to the manga and they'd have to wait years for enough new material to adapt.

My hypothesis about the Titan origin based on episodes 1 and 2

The drug that Erin's dad wants to force on him in that dream sequence turns people into Titans. Now Titans have been around for longer than the dad, so maybe he just rediscovered it. He does leave town every now and then right, or was he just moving between walls?

I think they would have trouble with it being a monthly serialization. Won't take long to catch up to the manga and they'd have to wait years for enough new material to adapt.

If they stuck to 1 cour after the first 2 seasons, they could do it annually if they go at a close to 1:1 ratio with the manga.

Necrovex

Cross posting my impressions from Anime-Gaf:

Attack on Titan 2

I'm just going to go to the bookstore sometime in May, and be that dirty "weeabo" who's there reading all the manga. I'm already doing that for Flower of Evil, so I might as well do it for this property.

Oh yeah, I should talk about the show. I really enjoyed the second episode. I am really craving to see how everything unfolds. Mikasa was really awesome. And like Duckroll pointed out in the OT, the outro was gorgeous. Not as awesome as the first episode, but I was still sad how quickly this episode ended.

I guess I'm one of those people who enjoys whatever the fuck the High School of the Dead director touches. I know, I'm a horrible human being, and I don't deserve to be in this thread. But, I'm staying, and you'll have to deal with it!

duckroll

If they stuck to 1 cour after the first 2 seasons, they could do it annually if they go at a close to 1:1 ratio with the manga.

I'm just going to go with my Magi theory again. Season 1 will cover 30+ chapters. The next season will start in April 2014, and cover another 30+ chapters. The manga ends in 60ish chapters.

Although 2ch has a... very different theory. One I have never heard of anywhere before and just sounds crazy. Lol.
There's this weird discussion going on about how the story in Shingeki is some sort of loop cycle and somehow the same thing happens over and over again (which is why Eren's has a dream at the start of ep1 seeing things which have not happened yet) and at the end of the anime they'll hit a BAD END, and then loop right into the start again... the start of the manga. And the manga story will lead to the TRUE END where they break the cycle.
Wut?

Just saw the 2nd episode of Attack on Titan and i have to say it was brilliant.

Once again they showed everyone suffering from the Titan's assault, and even showed the humans trying to revolt against the titans. I'm still glad that they don't show the titan's eating the people (don't think I could stand watching another person getting eat like the mother). I'm glad the next episode he's finally going to join the military instead of just crying all the time. Hopefully within the next 3 episodes they start showing action, and hopefully within the next 7 episodes the fighting against titans become common.

Btw do we really need to spoiler tag an episode that was just shown? Just asking to know if I even have to watch what I say about the episodes.

Kurita

Although 2ch has a... very different theory. One I have never heard of anywhere before and just sounds crazy. Lol.
There's this weird discussion going on about how the story in Shingeki is some sort of loop cycle and somehow the same thing happens over and over again (which is why Eren's has a dream at the start of ep1 seeing things which have not happened yet) and at the end of the anime they'll hit a BAD END, and then loop right into the start again... the start of the manga. And the manga story will lead to the TRUE END where they break the cycle.
Wut?

345178732.gif

Necrovex

Btw do we really need to spoiler tag an episode that was just shown? Just asking to know if I even have to watch what I say about the episodes.

The rule of thumb seems to be whenever a show is broadcasted in its native country, you can talk about the episode without spoiler tags.

duckroll

The rule of thumb seems to be whenever a show is broadcasted in its native country, you can talk about the episode without spoiler tags.

That's a pretty bad rule when the official streams for the show are delayed. Why be inconsiderate to people waiting for those?

Dennis

Banned
I'm liking this show so far, but this kid is a brat. So glad the show is way ahead of me and already make him grow the fuck up past puberty for the next episode.

Fuck that kid for acting out just because
his mother was eaten alive before his eyes

What are the spoiler rules? Do we have to spoiler stuff from episodes that have aired? If so how long do people have to catch up before spoilers are allowed?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The kid's extremely grating, and all the character interactions involve people alternating between yelling and crying and punching.

Necrovex

That's a pretty bad rule when the official streams for the show are delayed. Why be inconsiderate to people waiting for those?

I'm so used to American television OTs that this rule of thumb is the norm over there. But you're right; animes are a little special because of the official streams are necessary for most people, hell it's the reason why I still haven't Hyouka.

RangerBAD

I'm just going to go with my Magi theory again. Season 1 will cover 30+ chapters. The next season will start in April 2014, and cover another 30+ chapters. The manga ends in 60ish chapters.

Wut?

That would be the biggest con ever if they pulled it off.

Well, I hate to compare it to Magi since they're really different types of shounen. Never know what will happen.

Dahbomb

Spoiler for Episode 2:
Man that scene where the mega titan rears up and then sprints to crush the Wall after the soldiers were having a debate on whether to close it or not was epic as hell. Just showed the futility of their endeavors... damned if they do, damned if they don't. It was a truly "shit has hit the fan" moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom